Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Keegans Perm

I think Keita's performance bothered me most regarding the team selection last night. The senior players that were picked last night ie. Sturridge, Moreno, Mignolet, Origi know no matter how they performed last night, they are never going to get a starting place for league games, and at some point are likely to be sold. So its like they thought why bother at all. Shaqiri was always going to struggle looking for quick clever runs from that strike force so I can give him a pass, but as for Keita, you'd have thought he would have put in more a shift than he did to at least prove to Klopp he should be in serious contention for a starting place, but looks as if he didnt really take the chance. Hopefully he will come good in the latter part of the season.

Redopium

Not a good performance from us but the kids done fine Moreno, sturridge were crap and Milner in the first half, migs his usual self passing to players when they have nowhere to go ( Hoever twice) and his none movement for the second goal, look at their keeper for shaqiri strike, not too disapointed to be out, a win at the weekend and I will start forgetting.

liver1

Was that you on Radio Merseyside last night saying we should play the kids against Bayern?
No, but I understand that sentiment. I dont think the choice is necessary between the 2 competitions at this stage.

But when push comes to shove in a tight race and the option is do we field a stronger league team vs say a Crystal Palace or a stronger champions league team vs Juventus, then the Crystal Palace game takes priority.

Just for this season it must.

Macolfc

Can most definitely say the forum is split on what we should do in these situations. Few people saying they aren’t interested in CL either because of how the PL is panning out. Personally think that’s a fucking crazy mentality to have for a club that’s won one trophy in 13 year & is suppose to be one of the biggest in the world.

Commando

Just a quick one on walkout music Wolves play, Hi ho silver lining. They played the whole song from start to finish and the only line the fans joined in was "Hi ho silver lining" changed to "hi ho Wolverhampton". Could no Wolves fan be arsed coming up with new words for the rest of the chorus?

I've had that fecking song as an ear worm for two days now. :unhappy:

RodM

Bayern is after the 16th, so we have 10 days leading up to Bayern and then play Utd on the Sunday. The mancs have a blank midweek before we play them, just their fucking luck, it never seems to fall in our favour.
Bollocks, I read that the wrong way round. Yes, they play PSG on the 12th and we don't get Bayern until 16th.

Maybe it suits us for United to progress to the 5th round for a change.

RodM

Just a quick one on walkout music Wolves play, Hi ho silver lining. They played the whole song from start to finish and the only line the fans joined in was "Hi ho silver lining" changed to "hi ho Wolverhampton". Could no Wolves fan be arsed coming up with new words for the rest of the chorus?

Even Jeff Beck is sick of that song!

Dutch

I already said that I am fine with resting players for this match and now I read in the Echo that because we are out of the League and FA cup we now play only 5 matches in 6 weeks until the Bayern match. After the Palace match, we don't play for 11 days and the Echo expects Klopp to take his squad to a warmer place for a mini training camp.

This defeat could be a blessing in disguise.

liver1

Can most definitely say the forum is split on what we should do in these situations. Few people saying they aren’t interested in CL either because of how the PL is panning out. Personally think that’s a fucking crazy mentality to have for a club that’s won one trophy in 13 year & is suppose to be one of the biggest in the world.
Not so crazy a mentality for a club thats not won the league for 28 years.

Ben64

Not so crazy a mentality for a club thats not won the league for 28 years.[/
I was about the day the same thing. 28 fking years! If this drought continues, we will be soon known as the fking crazy club. Period.

William Clarke

redshirt
Once again we find out that our second string, so to speak, are not up to the confidence Jurgen has in them. They were just not at the races and looked so pedantic in everything they did. I was surprised when Origi scored because I didn't expect us to get a goal. I first team can play and have the potential to beat any team put in front of them, but I Posted on the pre-match thread how we needed to put out a strong side against Wolves and we didn't. I dare say there are those of us who would say it's no bad thing to be out of the cup competition thus allowing us to concentrate on our two big aims - Prem and Champs - but I have been brought up to expect our side to make realistic attempts at all competitions we enter and this is not what we did in the West Midlands. I am unhappy with our performance, to be dumped out by Wolves, but at least they are a Premier League side.

C

Caradoc

If we’d had a fully fit squad (what’s one of those?) we would have had Matip and Lovren at centre back. We would have had Keita, Milner and Henderson/Fabinho in midfield. That would have been a far stronger side to put out .....

Mignolet
Moreno
Matip
Lovren
TAA/Gomez
Henderson/Fabinho
Milner
Keita
Shaqiri
Sturridge
Origi

What we saw wasn’t our second side or even close to it.

Limiescouse

So, that offside goal? Seriously, can anyone point me to an explanation of how it was allowed to stand?

jaffod

Maybe they could come up with something about us, most of what they've sung in the 2 recent games has been the fucking thick cunts.

Frank Gheel

If we’d had a fully fit squad (what’s one of those?) we would have had Matip and Lovren at centre back. We would have had Keita, Milner and Henderson/Fabinho in midfield. That would have been a far stronger side to put out .....

Mignolet
Moreno
Matip
Lovren
TAA/Gomez
Henderson/Fabinho
Milner
Keita
Shaqiri
Sturridge
Origi

What we saw wasn’t our second side or even close to it.
Yep, but some of the above are not up to LFC standard. Lovern ( the self acclaimed greatest defender in the world) is about to go on his annual winter holiday. Sturridge is not up to PL standard. Mings has proved himself to be unreliable. Matin????

sms1986

Maybe they could come up with something about us, most of what they've sung in the 2 recent games has been the fucking thick cunts.
I see it as a compliment in a way, they're more interested in us than their own team. Just need to get into their players heads as much and we win easily.

Macolfc

Not so crazy a mentality for a club thats not won the league for 28 years.

So no PL in 28 years & one trophy in 13 and you think it’s wise to put all our eggs in one basket? That one basket been the hardest league in the world to win. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying the league isn’t our main goal or the one thing we should be trying our hardest to win. But for fuck sake give us a run at a domestic cup.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So no PL in 28 years & one trophy in 13 and you think it’s wise to put all our eggs in one basket? That one basket been the hardest league in the world to win. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying the league isn’t our main goal or the one thing we should be trying our hardest to win. But for fuck sake give us a run at a domestic cup.
I want the league. I’ve seen us win the European Cup, the League Cup, the FA Cup, The Super Cup, the Charity Shield and the UEFA Cup. Our last title came when I was 13 and I can’t remember it, maybe because I just assumed, as you might, we’d just win it forever. Anyway it doesn’t count, because Sky hadn’t invented football then, anyway.

I want the league. That’s all I’m concerned about. I want this football club doing everything it can to win this bastard. This is the best chance we’ve had in years, and I’m delighted to hub off the cups to give ourselves the best opportunity.

Red Eyes

I want the league. I’ve seen us win the European Cup, the League Cup, the FA Cup, The Super Cup, the Charity Shield and the UEFA Cup. Our last title came when I was 13 and I can’t remember it, maybe because I just assumed, as you might, we’d just win it forever. Anyway it doesn’t count, because Sky hadn’t invented football then, anyway.

I want the league. That’s all I’m concerned about. I want this football club doing everything it can to win this bastard. This is the best chance we’ve had in years, and I’m delighted to hub off the cups to give ourselves the best opportunity.

Lets say (god forbid) City edge us to the EPL this season, and then look like they are going to spend big again in the summer.

Truly class players like Mo, Bobbie, VVD; Alisson and increasingly Fabihno don’t just turm out for their wages, they want to win trophies.

If they know that all our eggs are in an EPL basket and that City are again favourites, will it not be easier for them to be poached if we have zero interest in domestic trophies?

C

Caradoc

Lets say (god forbid) City edge us to the EPL this season, and then look like they are going to spend big again in the summer.

Truly class players like Mo, Bobbie, VVD; Alisson and increasingly Fabihno don’t just turm out for their wages, they want to win trophies.

If they know that all our eggs are in an EPL basket and that City are again favourites, will it not be easier for them to be poached if we have zero interest in domestic trophies?

I think that is a fair question.

I guess the difference with previous seasons is that whereas we relied on 2 or 3 top quality players who might have felt that they were being held back due to the lack of real quality throughout the side, now the side and bench is a lot more even in terms of quality and so there is a lot more of a sense of ‘we succeed together, we fail together’ i.e. they are as much part of any failure as the rest of the first team squad. And I’m not sure that the domestic cups are anywhere near as appealing to them as an EPL or ECL medal anyway.

I could be wrong, I probably am, but hopefully that is how things are now.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Van Dijk, Salah and Alisson will be encouraged more by narrowly finishing second or getting to CL finals than winning the league or FA cup and being nowhere in the major two trophies. It's a better indication of future success. Domestic cup wins are great, and a lovely bonus, but on their own they will mean very little to top players.

All our eggs aren't in the league basket, as keeps being said, we are in 2 competitions.

Klopp has made a league cup final and a semi in his time here so it's not as if we throw them both every year. This year we had a very unfavourable draw in all 3 competitions, we were never going to be able to compete in all of them and be in the position we are in the league now.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin

You have to take it situationally. As you find it.

We drew Chelsea and Wolves. A top four team, and probably the ‘best of the rest’.

What do you do then? Throw our best team at it, and risk the Brighton game?

We’d take the domestic cups seriously if we get some kind draws, get through with a weakened team and find ourselves in the latter stages. That’s when Klopp might decided to have a serious crack at the tournaments.

But in the early rounds we have to play weaker teams. The lads we’re relying on in the league need rest, and - this never gets mentioned - the player we do use in games like this need those games. We might need to call on them later, and it’s better to do so with some minutes in their legs.

Red Eyes

Van Dijk, Salah and Alisson will be encouraged more by narrowly finishing second or getting to CL finals than winning the league or FA cup. They're the medals they want, domestic cups are a bonus.
Will have to agree to disagree mate.

I’ve lost count of the number of top top managers that have said winning a trophy of any kind is the biggest platform for future success.

Mascot88

Admin

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Will have to agree to disagree mate.

I’ve lost count of the number of top top managers that have said winning a trophy of any kind is the biggest platform for future success.
There are plenty of recent examples that suggest otherwise.

Reaching 90+ points would be a bigger indication of future success even if we finished second than, say, winning the FA cup and finishing 5th like Arsenal.

Medjool

So we can't have enough ambition to try for the double all of a sudden? Pathetic excuse no. 11, "we were up against Chelsea and Wolves" in the two domestic cups we've been dumped out of.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Players want to play for Champions League teams and demand it when moving,League titles and Champions league is by far the biggest draw for top players and is obviously so,FA Cup winners won't find getting top players easier just because they've won the FA CUP whereas just qualifying for CL does.

Red Eyes

There are plenty of recent examples that suggest otherwise.

Reaching 90+ points would be a bigger indication of future success even if we finished second than, say, winning the FA cup and finishing 5th like Arsenal.
it might be to you or me or a statistician, but my guess is that most truly world class footballers want a number of winners medals to look back on in retirement.

There’s a difference between showing them to their kids and grandchildren, than telling them that they helped the team get to 90 points.

Hopefully all academic and we win the EPL this season.......injuries permitting I think we will

Custodian

"Onwards and upwards"
It’s become a truism in football, but it’s based on very little.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2019/01/domestic-cups-mean-nothing-in-terms-of-winning-the-big-trophies/

Mourinho says winning the League Cup was the catalyst for his league win with Chelsea, but he was already away and uncatchable by then.
Quite right what you say Mascot, I looked at that makeshift team and i thought my god, what has he done!!!?? We've lost it!
Then I REALISED,- KLOPP DOSENT WANT TO GO FOR THE TREBLE,- of course not! And for the very reasons you have stated, well done!