Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Bonus

TIA New Signing
I want the league. I’ve seen us win the European Cup, the League Cup, the FA Cup, The Super Cup, the Charity Shield and the UEFA Cup. Our last title came when I was 13 and I can’t remember it, maybe because I just assumed, as you might, we’d just win it forever. Anyway it doesn’t count, because Sky hadn’t invented football then, anyway.

I want the league. That’s all I’m concerned about. I want this football club doing everything it can to win this bastard. This is the best chance we’ve had in years, and I’m delighted to hub off the cups to give ourselves the best opportunity.
I want both the league and Champions league!

Not just to see us win the newish top league in England i.e. the Premier league for the 1st time,
and not just to give us brilliant end to the season by winning no.6 and putting us back where we belong.

But to also see the look on the faces of fans of Man city, Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea,
specially after the amount of shit that has been thrown at us this season, its no more than they deserve
to see us winning both of the big trophies.

Last edited:

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Players want to play for Champions League teams and demand it when moving,League titles and Champions league is by far the biggest draw for top players and is obviously so,FA Cup winners won't find getting top players easier just because they've won the FA CUP whereas just qualifying for CL does.

A top manager like Klopp will also attract players regardless of the clubs chance at their current time,
to compete for a champs league place or trophies

Red over the water

When I was a kid I used to love the old programme Bullseye. We had a dartboard in the house, and I liked my general knowledge. What could be better? 101 or more in six darts. I still do that from time to time when I walk past the dartboard in our basement lol

Anyway, I mention Bullseye because we have that sort of a situation on our hands at Liverpool. We have to decide while the big board is turning around. We've won a couple of tankards, a clock radio, a nice decanter... and now the board is starting to turn. Jim Bowen asks, "Do you want to gamble?"

So, to massage the metaphor a bit, Klopp is standing there with a very nice tankard to put his beer in. The clock radio will come in useful too. And Mrs Klopp might quite like the decanter. But Jurgen hasn't come for any of that. Jurgen is playing for the car! Or possibly a shiny new speedboat.

So he looks to Bowen and says, "Yes, we want to gamble!"

* I may have lost my mind going around and around about whether or not the League Cup and FA Cup are worthy prizes.

Red Eyes

When I was a kid I used to love the old programme Bullseye. We had a dartboard in the house, and I liked my general knowledge. What could be better? 101 or more in six darts. I still do that from time to time when I walk past the dartboard in our basement lol

Anyway, I mention Bullseye because we have that sort of a situation on our hands at Liverpool. We have to decide while the big board is turning around. We've won a couple of tankards, a clock radio, a nice decanter... and now the board is starting to turn. Jim Bowen asks, "Do you want to gamble?"

So, to massage the metaphor a bit, Klopp is standing there with a very nice tankard to put his beer in. The clock radio will come in useful too. And Mrs Klopp might quite like the decanter. But Jurgen hasn't come for any of that. Jurgen is playing for the car! Or possibly a shiny new speedboat.

So he looks to Bowen and says, "Yes, we want to gamble!"

* I may have lost my mind going around and around about whether or not the League Cup and FA Cup are worthy prizes.

Super smashing great post.

As he’s gambled, we need to sign this guy in the Jan window

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
it might be to you or me or a statistician, but my guess is that most truly world class footballers want a number of winners medals to look back on in retirement.

There’s a difference between showing them to their kids and grandchildren, than telling them that they helped the team get to 90 points.

Hopefully all academic and we win the EPL this season.......injuries permitting I think we will
World class players want the top gongs, seldom do you hear them moaning about being rested for the early rounds of cup competitions and that's almost certainly because they're not viewed with the same significance.

It's not about not wanting to ever win the domestic cups, it's about prioriitising what's important at that moment in time. If we were 10 points behind City or out of Europe I'd have been annoyed with the side Klopp picked but as it stands we have as good a chance as anyone else at winning those competitions, I wouldn't want us to sacrifice that for the sake of the FA or League cup.

I agree, injuries permitting we could win the league and that alone is the reason Klopp was justified with his team selection on monday, IMO.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
I think city have embarrassed us tonight. Put out a proper team even though it’s only Burton over 2 legs. Showed us that having a winning mentality means that you have the confidence to try to to win everything. Says a lot about the difference in attitude and culture between us and them.

Limiescouse

it might be to you or me or a statistician, but my guess is that most truly world class footballers want a number of winners medals to look back on in retirement.

There’s a difference between showing them to their kids and grandchildren, than telling them that they helped the team get to 90 points.
"Dad, that Simod Sports Shoe Cup winners medal is nice and shiny, but tell me about the times you played against Zidane and Figo"
"Sorry, Son. We never qualified for the Champions League."
"I wish Danny Mills was my dad."

Limiescouse

I think city have embarrassed us tonight. Put out a proper team even though it’s only Burton over 2 legs. Showed us that having a winning mentality means that you have the confidence to try to to win everything. Says a lot about the difference in attitude and culture between us and them.
They had 2 players, Sane and one of the Silvas, who started their last league game. So, that was a side with 9 changes including one player I bet no more than 5 on this board have ever heard of.

Red Eyes

Agree completely

C

Caradoc

I think we overthink things .......

Klopp is focussed on Liverpool Football Club. He’s not interested in what is going on elsewhere he’s looking to influence what he can influence and control what he can control.

He’s not interested in how his selections look to anyone outside the club so long as they don’t break any rules.

Macolfc

Doesn’t make any sense to me that the ‘World class players’ of Salah, mane, Bobby, VVD etc etc are only interested in the PL & CL. Surely if they are world class they want to win everything, doubles trebles quadruples. We have 2 domestic cups then the PL & CL, the latter two being the hardest to win. 4 chances a year to win a trophy & a medal with two realistically much easier to win.

Trophies bring confidence & a sense of achievement without a doubt. Surely any trophy for us is an achievement it’s got to be. No trophy & finishing second is probably the worst outcome for me, being so close & losing out again.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So we can't have enough ambition to try for the double all of a sudden? Pathetic excuse no. 11, "we were up against Chelsea and Wolves" in the two domestic cups we've been dumped out of.
Maybe we should get into winning the league again before we start dreaming about doubles?

Mascot88

Admin
Doesn’t make any sense to me that the ‘World class players’ of Salah, mane, Bobby, VVD etc etc are only interested in the PL & CL. Surely if they are world class they want to win everything, doubles trebles quadruples. We have 2 domestic cups then the PL & CL, the latter two being the hardest to win. 4 chances a year to win a trophy & a medal with two realistically much easier to win.

Trophies bring confidence & a sense of achievement without a doubt. Surely any trophy for us is an achievement it’s got to be. No trophy & finishing second is probably the worst outcome for me, being so close & losing out again.
Going all in on the domestic cups would seriously impact on our ability to win the league or Champions League. We don’t have a squad that can compete on four fronts. And it’s not just the squad, it’s preparation time and focus.

Macolfc

Going all in on the domestic cups would seriously impact on our ability to win the league or Champions League. We don’t have a squad that can compete on four fronts. And it’s not just the squad, it’s preparation time and focus.

What would you class as a success this season mate if we don’t win the PL or CL mate? I suppose we can’t win, don’t take the domestics seriously then don’t win the league and the seasons a write off. Win a domestic trophy and don’t win the league & mostly everyone in this forum wouldn’t give a shit? League or bust I suppose.

Mascot88

Admin
What would you class as a success this season mate if we don’t win the PL or CL mate? I suppose we can’t win, don’t take the domestics seriously then don’t win the league and the seasons a write off. Win a domestic trophy and don’t win the league & mostly everyone in this forum wouldn’t give a shit? League or bust I suppose.
In a nutshell, breaking 90 points.

I don’t get this idea about the season being a write off if we don’t win anything. For me it’s about the journey as well as the destination. I like watching Liverpool bring brilliant at Football.

If we won the league cup, but in and around January when you have to play a ridiculous two legged semi, we dropped say, four points, in the league I’d be pissed off.

Macolfc

In a nutshell, breaking 90 points.

I don’t get this idea about the season being a write off if we don’t win anything. For me it’s about the journey as well as the destination. I like watching Liverpool bring brilliant at Football.

If we won the league cup, but in and around January when you have to play a ridiculous two legged semi, we dropped say, four points, in the league I’d be pissed off.
Fair enough, would you take 90 points over say a couple trips to Wembley for a cup final though? Personally only been to one final with Liverpool when we played city a few year ago. We may of lost but for me it was an amazing experience.

Mascot88

Admin
Fair enough, would you take 90 points over say a couple trips to Wembley for a cup final though?
For where we are right now, yes. We need to keep building in the league.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Fair enough, would you take 90 points over say a couple trips to Wembley for a cup final though? Personally only been to one final with Liverpool when we played city a few year ago. We may of lost but for me it was an amazing experience.
Would you still think it was worth playing strong teams in the domestic cups if we suffered injuries in them and ended up finishing 2nd on GD? I think we'd all see it as a missed opportunity.

You don't get to choose so really it's pointless posing these hypothetical questions. We weren't guaranteed to win the FA cup just by putting strong teams out, even with our best team out every week we're still only 3/1 at best and we'd almost certainly be sacrificing points in an extremely tight title race.

I went to Wembley in '16 too and had a boss weekend, I was also in Liverpool on CL final day and it was even better. If we win the league both will pale in comparison.

jaffod

What a fucking vile post. You've embarrassed yourself.

Difference in attitude and culture? How about FFP abuse and oppressive, human rights abusing owners? And you hold that up as something we should aspire to? Fucking disgrace.

Macolfc

Would you still think it was worth playing strong teams in the domestic cups if we suffered injuries in them and ended up finishing 2nd on GD? I think we'd all see it as a missed opportunity.

You don't get to choose so it's pointless posing these hypothetical questions.

I went to Wembley in '16 too and had a boss weekend, I was also in Liverpool on CL final day and it was even better. If we win the league both will pale in comparison.

Problem is we’ve won absolutely nothing yet though, your right I don’t get to choose but that’s the whole point in the forum isn’t it to discuss? Hopefully in a few month we’ve won the league and everything I’ve said is pointless

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Problem is we’ve won absolutely nothing yet though, your right I don’t get to choose but that’s the whole point in the forum isn’t it to discuss? Hopefully in a few month we’ve won the league and everything I’ve said is pointless
If we'd beaten Wolves we'd have won nothing so I really don't see the difference. There's still 5 more games to win after that.

It's not about saying we're definitely going to win the title, that is obviously far from a given, it's about giving ourselves the best opportunity to do so.

liver1

So no PL in 28 years & one trophy in 13 and you think it’s wise to put all our eggs in one basket? That one basket been the hardest league in the world to win. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying the league isn’t our main goal or the one thing we should be trying our hardest to win. But for fuck sake give us a run at a domestic cup.
Yes. That we haven't won it in 28 years shows just how hard and how rare a situation we are in.

I guarantee you CL chances will come around again and again. We can win that cup even if we're having an OK season. The chance to win the league wont. Once we've won the league once more it will become easier to win it again.

The reward for winning the league is 10 times the CL because it will put us back on our perch. That's our trophy.

The last time we owned the perch we dominated world football. Liverpool winning the league will be like Liverpool returning home.

Macolfc

If we'd beaten Wolves we'd have won nothing so I really don't see the difference. There's still 5 more games to win after that.
Big difference in my eyes, lose and it’s another season without a domestic trophy. Win & your still in the running, confidence within the squad players & keep momentum going.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Big difference in my eyes, lose and it’s another season without a domestic trophy. Win & your still in the running, confidence within the squad players & keep momentum going.
Unless fatigue and injuries kick in.

In 15/16 and 16/17 we suffered badly around this time of year due to injuries, fixture congestion and AFCON (relevant in so much as we struggled to replace two players for a small number of games).

Klopp has learned his lesson. Any repeat of that and we lose any advantage we have in the title race.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
I think some supporters need to make their minds up ....... what is the priority? One minute its the EPL. The next minute its Old Big Ears. Then its winning a trophy ........ any trophy!

For me its the EPL. The ECL would be an acceptable alternative. I’m sticking with that!
EPL is always the priority.
All the others would be nice to win in order of CL, FA Cup, and anything else there might be.