Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Medjool

Maybe we should get into winning the league again before we start dreaming about doubles?
Like I said, we can't dream of both? What's happened to this club, we all want the league more than any other but "this club exists to win trophy's. Nonsense in my view to suppose that throwing the FA cup will somehow help win the league.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I’m getting really sick of hearing ‘this club exists to win tophies’.

Shankly said a lot of things, some stand up today, and some don’t. Some are apocryphal. He wasn’t a prophet. He was a manager, a really, really good one, when football was a very different game.

C

Caradoc

When Shankly and Paisley were manager you had to win the League to get into the European Cup the following season (or have won the damn thing the season before). Now you get at least 4 bites at the cherry. Times have changed, circumstances have changed, priorities have changed.

Mascot88

Admin
When Shankly and Paisley were manager you had to win the League to get into the European Cup the following season (or have won the damn thing the season before). Now you get at least 4 bites at the cherry. Times have changed, circumstances have changed, priorities have changed.
The game was also played at walking pace, you could give the ball back to the keeper when you needed a breather, and players weren’t paid 100k a month.

It’s practically a different sport.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
From what I know of Shankly he was an innovator, he was open minded and always looking to learn new things to give his team the edge. If he was around today I fully expect he'd take in all the latest sports science knowledge and use it to his advantage, meaning giving players a rest when it's possible to do so.

"The league is our bread and butter" was another one of his quotes.

Commando

I love it when we have a Jock in our side.
I once remarked to my lad sometime in the late nineties, "what we ((Liverpool) are missing is a Scotsman somewhere in the middle). All the successful Reds teams that I could remember from my time watching had a Jock in the spine. Yeats, The King, Souness, Hansen etc. We signed Gary Mac and 2001 happened.
I like to see a Jock in our team. That's why Andy Robbo is my favourite player. He also plays in my position which is a bonus.
I'm not saying that having a Scot is the magic formula. Just that it feels right to me.

The first Liverpool side were known as the "The team of Macs".

sms1986

I love it when we have a Jock in our side.
I once remarked to my lad sometime in the late nineties, "what we ((Liverpool) are missing is a Scotsman somewhere in the middle). All the successful Reds teams that I could remember from my time watching had a Jock in the spine. Yeats, The King, Souness, Hansen etc. We signed Gary Mac and 2001 happened.
I like to see a Jock in our team. That's why Andy Robbo is my favourite player. He also plays in my position which is a bonus.
I'm not saying that having a Scot is the magic formula. Just that it feels right to me.

The first Liverpool side were known as the "The team of Macs".
Yeah, almost all Scots in the first Liverpool side - 15 Scottish and 5 English (and one of them might have been of Scottish ancestry) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1892–93_Liverpool_F.C._season.

redalways

TIA Regular
THEY HAD ONLY 2 PLAYERS START WHO ALSO STARTED AGAINST US.

That was a relatively second string side for them
I just want to bang on this point over and over again, the side that played against a Premier League mid-table team was basically a third-choice side in many crucial areas, compared to the pretty-much second-choice side for City against a League One team. Just check out the differences in our injury lists...

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
It was the last match of a grueling festive period for us. Most of them had played their arses off against Citeh, and at some point rotation HAD to happen. Imagine the furore if we'd played a full strength side and won, but lost Salah, Firmino, VVD, or Alisson to an injury.

End of the day, the team Klopp sent out against Wolves had enough quality to get the win but they didn't. That's what I'm fucking fuming at - there were enough senior players with enough experience and ability to win that match, and the majority of them just weren't overly arsed. Yes, we had a makeshift backline (although remember it started with Lovren in there alongside Fabinho) but had Keita and Milner in the middle, and two lads up top who are supposedly fighting for their careers. All of whom were outclassed in terms of quality and desire by a 16 year old kid making his debut.

Limiescouse

I just want to bang on this point over and over again, the side that played against a Premier League mid-table team was basically a third-choice side in many crucial areas, compared to the pretty-much second-choice side for City against a League One team. Just check out the differences in our injury lists...
There was not a single third string player on the pitch. Every player was either first choice or the next in line of the available options.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Seri
What a fucking vile post. You've embarrassed yourself.

Difference in attitude and culture? How about FFP abuse and oppressive, human rights abusing owners? And you hold that up as something we should aspire to? Fucking disgrace.
Seriously ? You previously posted “they bought in 8 players......Maybe we should look to do the same”. Maybe worth checking your own posting history before you start insulting other people on here.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
There was not a single third string player on the pitch. Every player was either first choice or the next in line of the available options.
There were 3rd choice players on the pitch. Camacho is behind TAA and Milner at RB. Fabinho is 5th choice CB. Hoever probably 6th or 7th choice CB. Moreno is behind Robbo and Milner, probably 3rd choice LB. Jones isn't above 3rd choice in an midfield position. Origi isn't above 3rd or 4th choice forward. Any if these fitting into a more solid first 11 would be difficult. All of them together is a weakened team.

Limiescouse

There were 3rd choice players on the pitch. Camacho is behind TAA and Milner at RB. Fabinho is 5th choice CB. Hoever probably 6th or 7th choice CB. Moreno is behind Robbo and Milner, probably 3rd choice LB. Jones isn't above 3rd choice in an midfield position. Origi isn't above 3rd or 4th choice forward. Any if these fitting into a more solid first 11 would be difficult. All of them together is a weakened team.
So for it to have been our second choice side by your definition, factoring in the various injury and illness absences we had, Milner would have had to play RB, LB and the position he eventually played. Not very practical is it.

Fabinho as 5th choice CB is in fact next in line for the second string when 2 of those above him are unavailable because of injury. Likewise with the kid after Lovren got hurt.

Whether you appreciate it or not, what you have actually demonstrated is that was about the strongest selection we could have put out given Klopp's desire to rest a couple of key first teamers and the list of players currently unavailable.

jaffod

Seri

Seriously ? You previously posted “they bought in 8 players......Maybe we should look to do the same”. Maybe worth checking your own posting history before you start insulting other people on here.
Ha Ha you've got to be kidding me.

Why don't you quote my full post instead of taking bits of it and patching it together to try and make it look like I said something completely different?

I said "Maybe we should abuse FFP and look to do the same". Anyone who understands English and has a basic understanding of sarcasm will be able to see it for exactly that. The lowest form of wit I know, but sarcasm all the same.

Twist a random previous post as much as you like, you implied we could learn something from City's attitude and culture. Well, their attitude and culture right now is one of cheating, corruption, arrogance, deceit and other abuses you might want to read up on. The polar opposite of everything my football club was built on.
If that's what you find commendable in today's game then maybe you should swap your allegiance.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
So for it to have been our second choice side by your definition, factoring in the various injury and illness absences we had, Milner would have had to play RB, LB and the position he eventually played. Not very practical is it.

Fabinho as 5th choice CB is in fact next in line for the second string when 2 of those above him are unavailable because of injury. Likewise with the kid after Lovren got hurt.

Whether you appreciate it or not, what you have actually demonstrated is that was about the strongest selection we could have put out given Klopp's desire to rest a couple of key first teamers and the list of players currently unavailable.
Fabinho at 5th choice would need 3 above him to be unavailable. If he plays at CB on Saturday it's because Lovren, Matip and Gomez are missing. My point, and you chose to ignore it was that Camacho, Jones, Origi, Hoever are not second choices. Really not an argument to be honest.

Limiescouse

Fabinho at 5th choice would need 3 above him to be unavailable. If he plays at CB on Saturday it's because Lovren, Matip and Gomez are missing. My point, and you chose to ignore it was that Camacho, Jones, Origi, Hoever are not second choices. Really not an argument to be honest.
Ok, lets walk through this...

If we play 2 CBs, a 2nd choice side would have the 3rd and 4th CBs playing if everyone was available. We were missing 2 CBs, meaning that our 2nd choice side (i.e. resting the top guys) would have to include our 5th and 6th choice CBs. Therefore, at CB we were actually stronger than a "2nd choice" because Lovren was picked.

At RB, Camacho has been on the bench recently because he is now close to the first team with the loss of Gomez (as he was even before the loaning of Clyne). With TAA rested (because its a second string side) and Milner having to play in midfield, Camacho is the next in line.

Fab was playing CB, Gini was rested (again, a second string side), Hendo was sick, Lallana continued to be unavailable. Not only does that force Milner into having to play in midfield (thus not enabling him to play at either FB), but it means that there is no one left in the pecking order ahead of Jones to make up the numbers.

Last edited:

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Ok, lets walk through this...

If we play 2 CBs, a 2nd choice side would have the 3rd and 4th CBs playing if everyone was available. We were missing 2 CBs, meaning that our 2nd choice side (i.e. resting the top guys) would have to include our 5th and 6th choice CBs. Therefore, at CB we were actually stronger than a "2nd choice" because Lovren was picked.

At RB, Camacho has been on the bench recently because he is now close to the first team with the loss of Gomez (as he was even before the loaning of Clyne). With TAA rested (because its a second string side) and Milner having to play in midfield, Camacho is the next in line.

Fab was playing CB, Gini was rested (again, a second string side), Hendo was sick, Lallana continued to be unavailable. Not only does that force Milner into having to play in midfield (thus not enabling him to play at either FB), but it means that there is no one left in the pecking order ahead of Jones to make up the numbers.
Conveniently missing the point, and condescending. Let me walk you through...
Fabinho is not in our first four central defenders. Ergo, 5th choice at best. With 2 missing, 3 and 4 come in. They are the second team. Fabinho is in the 3rd selection bracket. If TAA, Gomez and Milner are fit Camacho isn't in the squad. So not second choice. Neither is Jones. Neither is Origi.

Limiescouse

Conveniently missing the point, and condescending.
The point that was made was that the selections of the respective sides illustrated vital cultural and attitudinal differences between us and City. Furthermore, we were embarrassed by the comparative seriousness with which City took their game.

In reality, both managers used the opportunity to rest key players, both playing only 2 players who started the previous league game between the 2 sides. Both managers then selected the next best option available to them. That is not a third string selection as was claimed.

If you want to die on the hill of identifying Jones' spot in the pecking with everyone fit and available and pointing that to being >7, then great. Point very well made.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The point that was made was that the selections of the respective sides illustrated vital cultural and attitudinal differences between us and City. Furthermore, we were embarrassed by the comparative seriousness with which City took their game.

In reality, both managers used the opportunity to rest key players, both playing only 2 players who started the previous league game between the 2 sides. Both managers then selected the next best option available to them. That is not a third string selection as was claimed.

If you want to die on the hill of identifying Jones' spot in the pecking with everyone fit and available and pointing that to being >7, then great. Point very well made.
You have your view. I disagree. Leave it there then.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The game was also played at walking pace, you could give the ball back to the keeper when you needed a breather, and players weren’t paid 100k a month.

It’s practically a different sport.
Not to mention goals are goals anymore, losing a game doesn't make it a loss, and we don't use feet and round balls. Heck we don't even use a keeper anymore according to some high level coach/manager.

Come on guys, the sport hasn't changed. It's the metrics which the fans are measuring the acceptable level of achievement that changes. Some people would like to see their clubs winning trophies to be labeled successful club, some don't care and still consider the club a big club. Some cared more about how much we spent, some cared more about how much we don't spend. Some cared more about the balancesheet and how much the owners gained. That's the difference.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Not to mention goals are goals anymore, losing a game doesn't make it a loss, and we don't use feet and round balls. Heck we don't even use a keeper anymore according to some high level coach/manager.

Come on guys, the sport hasn't changed. It's the metrics which the fans are measuring the acceptable level of achievement that changes. Some people would like to see their clubs winning trophies to be labeled successful club, some don't care and still consider the club a big club. Some cared more about how much we spent, some cared more about how much we don't spend. Some cared more about the balancesheet and how much the owners gained. That's the difference.
Access to information, social media, SKY, globalisation all have affected how we view the game. I am old enough to remember listening to the radio for results, and reading transfer news in the Sunday tabloids. Football was about players and results, the weekly dose of Shoot or Goal magazines that were miles behind with news and the love of your team. Now we analyse like professionals because we think that we are able.

Mascot88

Admin

Watch a game from the sixties compared to today. It’s about 50% the pace. There is a reason players could player 60 games on a diet of fish and chips and lager.