• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Red over the water

Worst performance from a Liverpool team in a long while. We are NOT going to win the league because we do not have the depth or attitude
You might be right, but I really hope you are wrong, as I want that league title! (I go all the way back as a fan to just about remembering when Keegan left and Kenny came).

Liverpoolry

Had Shaq's free kick gone in we may have gone to win it. Hoever looks a confident player. Camacho done okay although out of position a fair bit whether by design of tactics or man made I'm not sure
The silver lining is that 5 less games plus any replays we won't be getting injuries in and a blank match gives longer to rest and prepare for league games.
No offence pal if my auntie had bollocks shed be my uncle lol

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I love Klopp and I know we are going for the premier league but wtf is this shite we have van dijk the only fit cb and he’s saying he’s not doing anything in the transfer market he has a massive transfer budget and why not jump in for a big strong cb we can’t count on lovern to do the job he’s not an lfc player and as for Moreno he’s a joke and should of been sold a long time ago. The only problem now is the pressure is on Klopp now because he has to get this premier league but there’s no way we can do that with out a cb
Gomez and Matip will be back in two weeks. Doubt if we could sign one before then and after that we wont need one.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
It was pretty crap and the injury to Lovern is the most gutting issue for me, seriously shows the issues with our squad in depth.

Did remind me of the past, hopefully Henderson and Lallana are just precautions as we need one at least for Saturday. No issue with the CB youngster at all.

The thing is they can trot out no cups in so long, and so on but Loverns injury shows how dangerous playing VVD and the likes of Robertson today. It just so happened we got Wolves and not Tranmere or Rotherham.

Anyhow thank you BBC for the 5 live audio, at least Sutton for all the crap he spouts understood the situation Klopp was in, I bet Jenas didn’t.

Liverpoolry

Gomez and Matip will be back in two weeks. Doubt if we could sign one before then and after that we wont need one.
Yeah but how long are they going to be back for? That’s if they could even get back they could get injured before coming back we can’t take risks I don’t think people understand we are lfc we can’t just have one full fit centre back then matip that is made of glass.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Attitude? Our attitude has been terrific this season.

Performances like this always happen when you make wholesale changes against good teams, I don't know what anyone else expected. We had 3 teenagers making their debut. Tonight is not in the slightest bit indicative of the performances we will see in the league.
It wasn’t that great on Thursday and didn’t improve tonight. Winning is a habit but great teams make it an obsession. Loosing the plot halfway through the season is not good. I hope we win at the weekend but I wouldn’t guarantee it

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Disappointing ... so many players looked exposed as being at the wrong club tonight. Origi has little to no first touch. Moreno can't defend and can't beat the first player on a cross. Camacho looked out of his depth, Sturridge and Shaqiri looked disinterested and Mignolet didn't stretch for either goal. We missed Fabinho in midfield ... all in all a very disappointing night and I just hope we can lift our game now for Brighton. When is Gomez back anyone?

Clive

Asking a new cb to come in and play the way we play, not to mention the offside trap high line from free kicks - just not going to happen.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Young lads all did well. Easy to see why Clyne was let go on loan with Camacho and Hoever on display tonite.
Young Jones did ok, maybe not as well as the 2 at the back but he's not shy of work and getting stuck in.
I'm not arsed about the result but the performance of some should worry Klopp.
The senior players, bar Fabinho really let themselves down. Moreno was his usual lobotomised self, he's like an extra from the Walking dead. He cant leave soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
That performance from Sturridge was the most "I dont give a fuck" display I can remember from a Liverpool player. At least Origi showed up in the 2nd half but he is still a massive drop of in quality if we have an injury to the front 3.
Milner is creaking, Naby worked hard but where is the quality we all were drooling over last year. Its easy to see why he's not getting in the 1st team. The jurys still out, he needs time but you can feel the pressure building on him.
I think Fabinho did enough to show he can play at centre half too which is a bonus.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
I can't understand why Keita is not settling in. He was brilliant at Leipzig so I heard, if it was a language issue, how did he manage in the Bundesliga or he did speak German well enough to communicate on the pitch?

Is there any possibility we can send Sturridge back to WBA. I have lost my patience with Danny, we have given him all the best medical care for the last 2 years and he comes on as if he is strolling down Miami beach minus his head phones. I don't want him at Anfield. He has had it to go now.
Moreno is just a liability, he does try his best, but is just not the standard that is required at LFC. He is better off in La Liga somewhere.

Last edited:

Red Ted

Well that was both disappointing and costly.

Lovren now has an injury, Keita's confidence must be completely obliterated, Sturridge must be finished, Milner probably played longer than intended, Firmino and Salah had to play.

Too many negatives to outweigh the positives of Hoevre's performance here I think. Camacho too maybe.
Sturridge has been finished for 3 years at least, this talk of a new contract makes no sense at all, it's bullshit.

Hopefully when the chance comes Sturridge can pull one last thing out of his lazy washed up arse to help us over the line in the league, he owes us that.

phil smith

We are Liverpool football club and the players like Moreno and sturidge looked like they was playing for Barnet we can’t have shit players with a shit attitude playing for our club I don’t care if it’s fa cup or pre season the players should play for the shirt no matter what
Agree with you about Sturridge's attitude but Moreno's attitude is okay. It's just that he's fucking hopeless and should have been shipped out two years ago.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
It wasn’t that great on Thursday and didn’t improve tonight. Winning is a habit but great teams make it an obsession. Loosing the plot halfway through the season is not good. I hope we win at the weekend but I wouldn’t guarantee it
What was wrong with our attitude on thursday?

We've lost the plot?

You've lost perspective.

I think people are forgetting City just had a run in which they lost 3 league games out of 5, two of them being Palace and Leicester. Spurs got beat 3-1 at home by this lot and they didn't have a 16 year old at centre back.

Red Eyes

A lot of people wanted to give the kids a run out, bow out of the cup, and rest the big guns.

I guess that’s what happened so let’s move back to the EPL.

My takeaway is that we can’t afford to many more injuries, as our cover is sub standard.

Fabinho my highlight tonight, Keita once again my big disappointment

Flobs

FADA
I don't get all this hype over Hoever, he just wasn't that good even if much of my comment is based on that he got pushed off the ball too easily which for a 16 yo is normal against any wolves team the last 100 years. Showed glimpses of skill and talent but that's it.

The way this match played out I feel does matter. Keita has an enormous problem and it has nothing to do with communication, that he was fine at, it's that he hasn't a clue at this level and intensity. That's 1 midfielder less for us.
In general we got pushed off the ball too easily and compounded that by many of our players holding on the the ball far too long. Origi is another not at this level. he oozes skill but in the fight and nous department Zilch.
All our youngsters showed they have skill, technique and know how to play football so that's good for the future but again will they get up the fight and nous'?
So it's good we are out of this cup but the performance for me showed we haven't the squad to carry us to winning much without a lot of luck. So I hope Lovren going off was just a precautionary measure.
On the otherhand Shaquiri and Milner looked ok to me so we do have some strength in depth.
Oh! did Sturridge play?

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Dismissing it to that level though... puts a massive onus on it now to actually win one of those two. Not exactly an easy ask.
This. I don't at all understand some supporters logic about not taking this competition seriously. This group has won absolutely nothing. This would have been something nice to go deep into. And now there are fewer opportunities for squad and "fringe" guys to get game minutes. So...what happens if those "bigger fish" trophies don't come to fruition? Hey but at least we saved the legs! It's arrogance. From the manager all the way down to the supporters.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with trophies or prestige. At all. The revenue is in the league and CL. A team can still "win" in each of those competitions without actually winning it. They are both serious revenue streams. So I get it from that perspective. Then just say that.

Its not arrogance, it is risk management.

In the second minute we lost Lovren. VvD not playing today reduces his risk of injury against Bournemouth (Edit Brighton). Good chance he might be our only fit center back. Its not about fresh legs. Its about preventing injury over a full season.

Its is a calculated risk not focusing on the FA cup. But you either spread bet or you bet big. Given our position in the league I am perfectly happy to focus on the league. If I am honest, even though I dont want to. If we get knocked out of the CL I will not be that displeased.

I firmly belive we can win the league this season. We must do everything we can to improve our chances. An extra 5 games in the FA cup is not something that does that.

Liverpoolry

Agree with you about Sturridge's attitude but Moreno's attitude is okay. It's just that he's fucking hopeless and should have been shipped out two years ago.
His attitude isn’t good enough mate he’s been shouting his mouth if In the media look at Fabinho he’s not moaned he’s come to the club knuckled down waited for his chance same with big shaq players like Moreno who mess up a lot can’t run round shouting to media I don’t get why I’m not getting played