Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Great results for Wolves this season:
3-1 over Tottenham
1-1 City
2-1 over Chelsea
1-1 at Arsenal

A result for Wolves:
2-1 over Liverpool reserves at home

Bad results:
1-1 against United at Old Trafford
they are facing a banana skin game against Citeh away though

ianrush

TIA Squad Member
among the youngsters, camacho impressed me the most tonight. he's solid. :well done:

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Dismissing it to that level though... puts a massive onus on it now to actually win one of those two. Not exactly an easy ask.
No, but easier now we have less games to play.

Flobs

FADA
9 points in the remaining 3 games later this month and all is forgotten.

WTF just 3 games left this month - what to do with all the spare time lol
You forgot the most important part. NO MORE INJURIES and ALL INJURED PLAYERS COMING BACK STRONG AND HEALTHY AND STAYING THAT WAY FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON. That's a lot to forget about.

Red over the water

Fabinho to continue alongside VVD while Gomez and/or Matip recover. We should be OK with that.

Although the squad is deeper than it has been for years, tonight showed us that we still need more. It also showed us we have a few players who shouldn't be here beyond this season.

Hopefully we get back to winning ways at the weekend against Brighton.

Richard88

Some thoughts:

- Mignolet showed exactly why he's been replaced. Milner probably didn't come over to cover as he felt the goalkeeper would have a favourable angle to make a save (instead opting to block out the square ball and tap-in option), but then at the last moment he realised that it was Mignolet in goal and not Alisson.

- Camacho was anonymous in the first half. Perhaps he was playing too high up, so it would have been more beneficial for him to come deep on occasion, if only to vary things up and get involved and be more of an outlet. Didn't do much 2nd half either. That said he was tenacious defensively.

- Hoever was excellent on the ball. I love the pace he puts on his passes. A little bit too laid-back defensively on a couple of occasions, but overall an excellent performance.

- Fabinho as a CB... did Ok. Probably shouldn't have taken such a huge risk with that tackle on their first goal though as the last man.

- Moreno is gone in 6 months for sure. His aimless long balls sum up his performance.

- Thought Milner had an unthankful task of being the glue for a dysfunctional side. He's not a good fit in that deep midfield role, as there's no vertical penetration through midfield, though that is something he shares the responsibility with Keita on.

- Keita had a couple of moments, but overall there was little end product.

- Curtis Jones didn't do much at all, apart from one nice dribble. You can tell that he has bags of individual talent though.

- Sturridge and Origi were totally anonymous. Yeah Origi had a nice goal but aside from that he did nothing. The criticism at halftime from Shearer about those two was well deserved. Would be surprised if either is still at the club next season.

- The cameo from Firmino showed precisely how important Firmino is for this team. Everything clicks when he's in the side finding pockets of space.

The Flying Pig

Shameful. Real fans have travelled to the Midlands on a Monday night in January,
at not inconsiderable expense and some inconvenience. They deserved better.
The FA Cup and the history and traditions of Liverpool Football Club deserve better.

Red over the water

Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit tonight. Just hugely disappointed in the way we have approached things. I will get over it as I am sure our lads will. On to Brighton!
I think you've brought a good perspective. Too many of us (including me) are perhaps too quick to say it's only the third priority... oh well.

If the players have that attitude we're in trouble. Losing needs to hurt them.

Red Ted

You have to question the Bundesliga when you consider Matip, Karius and Keita were seen as top players there.
Sahin, Kagawa & Mkhitaryan too, they were regarded as top players in Germany.

There's a running theme with the lack of fight, spine, strong mentality, character etc - with most of these players.

Sahin was a complete pussy who wasn't up for the fight at all, he even used to jump out of tackles, Mkhitaryan is weak too, Keita is showing similar traits.

Flobs

FADA
a big fan of milner but his days as a liverpool player are numbered. age has finally caught up with him. :-(
He's our only hard player yet he is 2nd best in all the positions he can play and a wee bit too slow now. :-(

Joe Gomez x

Poor performance all around, looked slow and this was a proving point for Jürgen and fans themselves on who isn't good enough.

Mignolet - Decent performance, good distribution, looks like he is picking a few things off Alisson.

Camacho - Decent but that's about it, good for a youngster but not good enough to break through this season.

Hoever - Good performance, ball playing centre half but he will take a year or two to break through again.

Fabinho - MOTM imo, played very well in an unfamiliar position, would partner him with VVD for the next game.

Moreno - Muck, diving out of challenges, cannot use his right foot or even attack anymore. Get rid and buy a new backup left full.

Milner - Played okay in an position not suited to him, cost us the first but that's about all, recent injury return struggles showing.

Shaqiri - Poor tonight, played better when Mohammad and Bobby came on but dissapointed in him.

Keita - Looked okay at the start with a few good direct passes, became static and lethargic from them on. Not filling me with much hope from Naby for the future.

Jones - Showed glimpses of good feet and movement but wasn't great, maybe the worst of the debutants. Not ready yet for another year or two.

Sturridge - Dire tonight, static and didn't look like he was bothered. Very slow at moving the ball. I think he has played himself out of the Liverpool match squad. Makes me wonder if it should of been him out the door instead of Solanke.

Origi - Battled hard, tracked back to left full to help Moreno at one stage. Probably played himself back into consideration with a great goal.

Obanite

Full time coo
There's depth and there's depth. Everyone was raving about how Sturridge, Keita, Origi etc added a lot of depth to our first choice line-up only a few weeks ago. They didn't turn into poor players overnight. It was an off day after a morale-sapping defeat at City. We were always going to have slip-ups. We need slip-ups if anything. I'm just glad this didn't come v Burnley or Bournemouth or whoever. Brighton, Palace, Leicester make up January - let's tank all three and turn the screw.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
given the team that we put out, I'm not too disappointed with the result,

Positives…..

we gave debuts to a 17 year old, and 18 year old,
and 16 year old lad making his debut at CB, (who's probably younger than my paperboy!)
who all played well, and held their own.

Also happy about Origi getting another goal, it will do his confidence the world of good

Negatives...

Sturridge, ( has he just given up?)
Moreno (no need to say anymore)
Keita (needs to get his act together and show he is worth the wait and the money)

Last positive....

No more domestic cup games to play this season,
less games to play, less playing time for Moreno and Sturridge hopefully!

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
This competition is down to luck of the draw and making it to even a semifinal can run a team down. I love that Klopp made the correct decision to field a weakened team and, unfortunately, the team played poorly. Ah well.

Flobs

FADA
Fabinho to continue alongside VVD while Gomez and/or Matip recover. We should be OK with that.

Although the squad is deeper than it has been for years, tonight showed us that we still need more. It also showed us we have a few players who shouldn't be here beyond this season.

Hopefully we get back to winning ways at the weekend against Brighton.
I thought, and wasn't surprised, that Fabinho got pushed around too easily particularly on high balls. If Lovren isn't well we have a problem. Perhaps Milner?

Flobs

FADA
There's depth and there's depth. Everyone was raving about how Sturridge, Keita, Origi etc added a lot of depth to our first choice line-up only a few weeks ago. They didn't turn into poor players overnight. It was an off day after a morale-sapping defeat at City. We were always going to have slip-ups. We need slip-ups if anything. I'm just glad this didn't come v Burnley or Bournemouth or whoever. Brighton, Palace, Leicester make up January - let's tank all three and turn the screw.
What's your definition of everyone?

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Sturridge has been finished for 3 years at least, this talk of a new contract makes no sense at all, it's bullshit.

Hopefully when the chance comes Sturridge can pull one last thing out of his lazy washed up arse to help us over the line in the league, he owes us that.
well...he did score a beauty against Chelsea earlier this season when it looked like our unbeaten run was about to expire....
so I think he has done something to help us over the line..
but yeah...its painful watching his body language on the pitch these days- hugely disappointing

Magnus

He's our only hard player yet he is 2nd best in all the positions he can play and a wee bit too slow now. :-(
I don't know, I have not yet lost faith in Milner. I think he is a nice player to have. He has had a couple of poor games now, but it is not that long ago since he played very well. I am "wait and see mode".

Flobs

FADA
Flake bar?
I have never dipped one of those in my tea also a long time since I had one. Last time in England I had a Ripple or a cripple or something, very nice but wasn't flaky. However yes if I remember correctly a like a flake or a crumble (that hasn't been over cooked). :-).

Neukolln

Its not arrogance, it is risk management.

In the second minute we lost Lovren. VvD not playing today reduces his risk of injury against Bournemouth (Edit Brighton). Good chance he might be our only fit center back. Its not about fresh legs. Its about preventing injury over a full season.

Its is a calculated risk not focusing on the FA cup. But you either spread bet or you bet big. Given our position in the league I am perfectly happy to focus on the league. If I am honest, even though I dont want to. If we get knocked out of the CL I will not be that displeased.

I firmly belive we can win the league this season. We must do everything we can to improve our chances. An extra 5 games in the FA cup is not something that does that.
Let's not move the goalpoasts. JK didn't have to play VVD to win that match today, or any of the 'big 3'. There was enough quality in the XI picked to beat Wolves. But they approached today's match in an arrogant manner, it was beneath them, and if they lost - whatever - "we have bigger fish to fry", whatever that means from a group of guys that have won NOTHING together. Perspective is perspective.

So what happens if we don't win the League or CL this year? Ah, cool. We saved the legs? What now becomes of the squad guys that could benefit from additional game opportunities? In the end, life goes on, but I find it interesting so many supporters find it no big deal cashing out early when this club has won nothing for quite some time.

Flobs

FADA
I don't know, I have not yet lost faith in Milner. I think he is a nice player to have. He has had a couple of poor games now, but it is not that long ago since he played very well. I am "wait and see mode".
That's what I meant by him being 2nd choice in all the positions he plays, he still has a squad role. Back up in what about 7 positions. :-)