• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
There's depth and there's depth. Everyone was raving about how Sturridge, Keita, Origi etc added a lot of depth to our first choice line-up only a few weeks ago. They didn't turn into poor players overnight. It was an off day after a morale-sapping defeat at City. We were always going to have slip-ups. We need slip-ups if anything. I'm just glad this didn't come v Burnley or Bournemouth or whoever. Brighton, Palace, Leicester make up January - let's tank all three and turn the screw.

If we had beaten City last week, you think the team put out tonight would have won?

Not for me, sorry...

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I think playing Jones on the same side as Moreno was a bad decision as neither have particular defensive qualities and also playing Sturridge and Origi together is definitely a no no as neither have the pressing game. I thought Origi worked hard with a limited supply and the goal gave him confidence.
Camacho started well but went missing in large patches, this wasnt completely down to him but apart from an over hit cross on his left foot and a few positional moments (which is to be expected) he was sound. Curtis-jones didnt really get much ball and was 50/50 in his product.
Without Fabinho and Milner the result could have been a lot worse. I really liked Hoever looked composed and a talent, had a few minor moments but didnt let it phase him.
Overall, although i dont like losing and it was an opportunity to keep fringe players match fit our priority is the League. Hopefully Lovrens strain isnt to serious but we should be looking at cover this Januart

Flobs

FADA
I think playing Jones on the same side as Moreno was a bad decision as neither have particular defensive qualities and also playing Sturridge and Origi together is definitely a no no as neither have the pressing game. I thought Origi worked hard with a limited supply and the goal gave him confidence.
Camacho started well but went missing in large patches, this wasnt completely down to him but apart from an over hit cross on his left foot and a few positional moments (which is to be expected) he was sound. Curtis-jones didnt really get much ball and was 50/50 in his product.
Without Fabinho and Milner the result could have been a lot worse. I really liked Hoever looked composed and a talent, had a few minor moments but didnt let it phase him.
Overall, although i dont like losing and it was an opportunity to keep fringe players match fit our priority is the League. Hopefully Lovrens strain isnt to serious but we should be looking at cover this Januart
Klopp out! :J

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit tonight. Just hugely disappointed in the way we have approached things. I will get over it as I am sure our lads will. On to Brighton!
Don't apologize for anything. The superfanning has reached insufferably obnoxious levels. Heaven forbid if you share a dissenting view in a match thread, no matter how properly expressed you will be met with some wit and toungue-in-cheek finger wag. We are in a new age of cultured and enlightened supporting.

When all the dust settles we can all celebrate the "BIGGER FISH TO FRY!" and "SAVED LEGS!" trophies.

**HIGH FIVE**

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
It looks like Lovren has the dreaded hamstring injury. So, he's out for a few weeks then.

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Don't apologize for anything. The superfanning has reached insufferably obnoxious levels. Heaven forbid if you share a dissenting view in a match thread, no matter how properly expressed you will be met with some wit and toungue-in-cheek finger wag. We are in a new age of cultured and enlightened supporting.

When all the dust settles we can all celebrate the "BIGGER FISH TO FRY!" and "SAVED LEGS!" trophies.

**HIGH FIVE**
Sorry mate, if anyone sounds like a super fan, it’s you. You’ve been condescending about anyone that disagrees with you and while I respect your opinion as well as those that are more disappointed we didn’t field a better team, you are in the minority, so ease back a bit on the insults.

Flobs

FADA

**HIGH FIVE**
We are just returning to earth after a flambouyant 1st half of the season. Nothing strange in that. I blame in on not winning anything for 100 years. :tongue:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Sorry mate, if anyone sounds like a super fan, it’s you. You’ve been condescending about anyone that disagrees with you and while I respect your opinion as well as those that are more disappointed we didn’t field a better team, you are in the minority, so ease back a bit on the insults.
Really mate? You missed the sky is falling and end of the world posts? Tell me you aren't serious. And please point out the insults, specifically. Thanks.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Let's not move the goalpoasts. JK didn't have to play VVD to win that match today, or any of the 'big 3'. There was enough quality in the XI picked to beat Wolves. But they approached today's match in an arrogant manner, it was beneath them, and if they lost - whatever - "we have bigger fish to fry", whatever that means from a group of guys that have won NOTHING together. Perspective is perspective.
Football is a two team game.

This Wolves side held City and Arsenal to draws and beat Chelsea and Tottenham.

Perspective is perspective.

Macolfc

Last positive....

No more domestic cup games to play this season,
less games to play, less playing time for Moreno and Sturridge hopefully!
Agree with what you’ve said, but is the last really a positive? Sturridge & Moreno most likely going to be on the bench for most games & in desperate times they may even need to be started. With no domestic cup games left this season they aren’t going to be getting any game time. Would be surprised if they have any impact when needed.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Time will tell if Klopp made the right decision but personally even if we don't win the league it was the right thing to do to play this side.

Red Ted

well...he did score a beauty against Chelsea earlier this season when it looked like our unbeaten run was about to expire....
so I think he has done something to help us over the line..
but yeah...its painful watching his body language on the pitch these days- hugely disappointing
True he scored that goal, to be honest maybe he really isn't capable of doing much more for us than pulling something important out of his lazy arse once or twice a season?

I can't help but look at him as a complete waste of time wage thief, the true definition of one, he's on 140k a week and he's given the club/us next to nothing for those millions, it's beyond disgraceful really but there you go, some fans will still blow his trumpet and carry on their delusions that he's still a good striker.

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Really mate? You missed the sky is falling and end of the world posts? Tell me you aren't serious. And please point out the insults, specifically. Thanks.
You’re writing things in all caps and ending posts with “high five” - do I really need to spell it out for you? If you come to a place of discussion and share a view, you can’t expect everyone to just go along with it.

C

Caradoc

Milner was poor, Sturridge was dire.

I think Sturridge is finished at Liverpool’s level but could do a great job for a mid-Table side. Sadly I think we may also be seeing the first signs of time catching up with Milner. I would not be at all surprised if he leaves for Leeds at the end of the season and if that happens it will be a very sad day but he will go with my immense gratitude and very best wishes. I’m not writing him off but I’m just sensing that he may decide to return to his home town club where it all began. I’m just thinking out loud so I won’t be justifying my views.

I thought that the youngsters all did themselves proud. I think that Camacho, Hoever and Jones all have a big future at the club. Fabinho also showed great maturity and composure playing out of position at CB. Keita started well but faded as the game wore on. I think its going to take him time to get up to the level required in the EPL but he’ll get there and that once he does it’ll be worth the wait.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Football is a two team game.

This Wolves side held City and Arsenal to draws and beat Chelsea and Tottenham.

Perspective is perspective.
I completely agree and also had their chances against us in the first half of the league game. My only concern was that there are a few players present in tonights game that you would expect more of.

That saying, it was obvious the injury to Lovren changed our shape tactically and hopefully we learn from that.

Shameful. Real fans have travelled to the Midlands on a Monday night in January,
at not inconsiderable expense and some inconvenience. They deserved better.
The FA Cup and the history and traditions of Liverpool Football Club deserve better.
Couldn't agree more the times as a lad we begged borrowed and stole to get down to Wembley in the 80s,it meant everything to us back then, I know there's no money in it now but for goodness sake were Liverpool FC.

Magnus

True he scored that goal, to be honest maybe he really isn't capable of doing much more for us than pulling something important out of his lazy arse once or twice a season?

I can't help but look at him as a complete waste of time wage thief, the true definition of one, he's on 140k a week and he's given the club/us next to nothing for those millions, it's beyond disgraceful really but there you go, some fans will still blow his trumpet and carry on their delusions that he's still a good striker.
My own opinion on Daniel Sturridge, is that he can make a decent pass but that he is an excellent striker, meaning that when he actually strikes the ball, it is dangerous. However, being good at striking the ball is not enough, so like you, I don't think he has enough in him and imo, he can probably be safely sold if we get a replacement. He has serious problems with his work rate. It is not fun to be that brutal in an assessment of a player, at least not for me, but that is my opinion.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Hoever and Camacho both looked good for a pair of kids making their debut. Fabino looked ok considering he was thrust into playing in an unfamiliar role with 2 kids and Moreno beside him was always going to be a tough ask for him.

The rest looked very poor, except for Sturridge who looked like he didn't even care

Danny_

Will be honest and say that I could not give a crap about the FA cup nowadays.

FGred

It was pretty crap and the injury to Lovern is the most gutting issue for me, seriously shows the issues with our squad in depth.

Did remind me of the past, hopefully Henderson and Lallana are just precautions as we need one at least for Saturday. No issue with the CB youngster at all.

The thing is they can trot out no cups in so long, and so on but Loverns injury shows how dangerous playing VVD and the likes of Robertson today. It just so happened we got Wolves and not Tranmere or Rotherham.

Anyhow thank you BBC for the 5 live audio, at least Sutton for all the crap he spouts understood the situation Klopp was in, I bet Jenas didn’t.
Janus irritated the hell out of me he was shitting himself when Salah and Bobby came on the only consolation is that his favourite team spuds have quite a few more games with the LC and FA cup rounds

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Milner was poor, Sturridge was dire.

I think Sturridge is finished at Liverpool’s level but could do a great job for a mid-Table side. Sadly I think we may also be seeing the first signs of time catching up with Milner. I would not be at all surprised if he leaves for Leeds at the end of the season and if that happens it will be a very sad day but he will go with my immense gratitude and very best wishes. I’m not writing him off but I’m just sensing that he may decide to return to his home town club where it all began. I’m just thinking out loud so I won’t be justifying my views.

I thought that the youngsters all did themselves proud. I think that Camacho, Hoever and Jones all have a big future at the club. Fabinho also showed great maturity and composure playing out of position at CB. Keita started well but faded as the game wore on. I think its going to take him time to get up to the level required in the EPL but he’ll get there and that once he does it’ll be worth the wait.
I agree with most of your post. I think Sturridge has a career but quite clearly only as an impact player. Not a starter.
I thought Milner played well in a tough situation. Someone mentioned he looked unfit, i actually think its because he never stopped running. His touch for their first goal obviously will be seen negatively but how about the horror ball by Moreno, literally passed the buck in a tight situation and sold Milner short.

Re: Fabinho, i mentioned it in his transfer thread. That he seems to have this strange ability of just being in the right place and also in 50/50s of being able to stick a gangly leg in the way to nick the ball, (Admitedly, this was after we signed him, based on Youtube clips. Before that i knew little about him). However, he has a lot more to his game. composure, signs of leadership, Versatility, a direct approach. He has really impressed me on a whole.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Let's not move the goalpoasts. JK didn't have to play VVD to win that match today, or any of the 'big 3'. There was enough quality in the XI picked to beat Wolves. But they approached today's match in an arrogant manner, it was beneath them, and if they lost - whatever - "we have bigger fish to fry", whatever that means from a group of guys that have won NOTHING together. Perspective is perspective.
I don't usually agree with Mr. Negative post but I did think some of the players who started today approached this match in an arrogant manner the way their body language looked. Sturridge being one of them. I don't fault Klopp with the lineup though as look what happened.. He didn't want to really play Lovren but he went down in the first 4 minutes of the match because he felt forced to play him. (I guess this is good news for the Lovren bashers though) what if one of the other key starters played today and got hurt? I think this result doesn't matter because we are fully focused on winning both the league and champs league this season and will win at least one of them I think. I am not worried until if we don't win our next league match @ Brighton... if we don't win then everyone will go crazy! we need to not only win at Brighton but win in style to calm all fears...

a string of a couple of losses in a row can play mind tricks with you like it did with City.... I want to see the mental toughness back against Brighton with a big smashing.

Ps. I was really impressed at how calm the 16 year old making his debut 4 minutes in was... seriously... he was almost to calm and relaxed... I couldn't believe it.