• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Milner was poor, Sturridge was dire.

I think Sturridge is finished at Liverpool’s level but could do a great job for a mid-Table side. Sadly I think we may also be seeing the first signs of time catching up with Milner. I would not be at all surprised if he leaves for Leeds at the end of the season and if that happens it will be a very sad day but he will go with my immense gratitude and very best wishes. I’m not writing him off but I’m just sensing that he may decide to return to his home town club where it all began. I’m just thinking out loud so I won’t be justifying my views.

I thought that the youngsters all did themselves proud. I think that Camacho, Hoever and Jones all have a big future at the club. Fabinho also showed great maturity and composure playing out of position at CB. Keita started well but faded as the game wore on. I think its going to take him time to get up to the level required in the EPL but he’ll get there and that once he does it’ll be worth the wait.
I agree with most of your post. I think Sturridge has a career but quite clearly only as an impact player. Not a starter.
I thought Milner played well in a tough situation. Someone mentioned he looked unfit, i actually think its because he never stopped running. His touch for their first goal obviously will be seen negatively but how about the horror ball by Moreno, literally passed the buck in a tight situation and sold Milner short.

Re: Fabinho, i mentioned it in his transfer thread. That he seems to have this strange ability of just being in the right place and also in 50/50s of being able to stick a gangly leg in the way to nick the ball, (Admitedly, this was after we signed him, based on Youtube clips. Before that i knew little about him). However, he has a lot more to his game. composure, signs of leadership, Versatility, a direct approach. He has really impressed me on a whole.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Let's not move the goalpoasts. JK didn't have to play VVD to win that match today, or any of the 'big 3'. There was enough quality in the XI picked to beat Wolves. But they approached today's match in an arrogant manner, it was beneath them, and if they lost - whatever - "we have bigger fish to fry", whatever that means from a group of guys that have won NOTHING together. Perspective is perspective.
I don't usually agree with Mr. Negative post but I did think some of the players who started today approached this match in an arrogant manner the way their body language looked. Sturridge being one of them. I don't fault Klopp with the lineup though as look what happened.. He didn't want to really play Lovren but he went down in the first 4 minutes of the match because he felt forced to play him. (I guess this is good news for the Lovren bashers though) what if one of the other key starters played today and got hurt? I think this result doesn't matter because we are fully focused on winning both the league and champs league this season and will win at least one of them I think. I am not worried until if we don't win our next league match @ Brighton... if we don't win then everyone will go crazy! we need to not only win at Brighton but win in style to calm all fears...

a string of a couple of losses in a row can play mind tricks with you like it did with City.... I want to see the mental toughness back against Brighton with a big smashing.

Ps. I was really impressed at how calm the 16 year old making his debut 4 minutes in was... seriously... he was almost to calm and relaxed... I couldn't believe it.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Janus irritated the hell out of me he was shitting himself when Salah and Bobby came on the only consolation is that his favourite team spuds have quite a few more games with the LC and FA cup rounds
I like Jenas when he is in the studio, not as the side kick. There were a lot of things he said where i thought WTF. The Boli forcing Origi onto his left foot...ermm arent you taught to force the player onto their weaker foot?
Also, when Neves scored he said something about how he deserved it for his directness in the first half, however, complained in the first half that he was always playing sidewards and safe.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
My own opinion on Daniel Sturridge, is that he can make a decent pass but that he is an excellent striker, meaning that when he actually strikes the ball, it is dangerous. However, being good at striking the ball is not enough, so like you, I don't think he has enough in him and imo, he can probably be safely sold if we get a replacement. He has serious problems with his work rate. It is not fun to be that brutal in an assessment of a player, at least not for me, but that is my opinion.
He cant run which means he is unable to get into position to strike the ball in the 1st place. No doubt he can still finish and is capable of a strike from distance but he has to be carried by everyone around him.
Would any manager watching him tonite even consider paying a fee for him? Very very doubtful.

jaffod

You have to question the Bundesliga when you consider Matip, Karius and Keita were seen as top players there.

Anyone who thinks we have adequate cover for the front three is mistaken. Rotate any of that lot in during the run in and results will be at risk.

Given that most of those who played for us tonight wouldn't get in the Wolves side, they ought to stop mouthing off about not playing for us.

Seems like most of them fancied a warm weather training break rather than the 4th round. I'd send them to Siberia rather than La Manga.

Too many of our centre backs are too injury prone. Good job Fab looked ok at centre back.

Not the end of the world, but we need to do something in the transfer market this month.
Been saying that for years. Sahin was another, Can was hit and miss too. All of them got bigged up by a lot of the fanbase without anyone ever seeing them in the flesh.

Magnus

He cant run which means he is unable to get into position to strike the ball in the 1st place. No doubt he can still finish and is capable of a strike from distance but he has to be carried by everyone around him.
Would any manager watching him tonite even consider paying a fee for him? Very very doubtful.
All I can say about another manager wanting him or not, is that I am not sure. Time will tell. He is lethal when he strikes, but he is a lazy cobra...

okocha10

Football Master
Camacho ?. Thought he did o.k. but not convinced he is the real deal. Hoever on the other hand really did look the part.
Well in this shitty game where we missed almost everything we usually have, Camacho showed desire, aggression and determination. He is also good with the ball. With big players around him he can only be better.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I remember a time where I really cared for the FA cup, its diminished for me, don't know why.

I sort of cant really complain about a single player as the team was disjointed. I dont expect that team to click if they haven't played much together. It's was most likely always going to be more like a group of individuals, than a team. Glad some of the youth got their debut.

I was hoping Keita was going to have an awesome game, so I was disappointed. He wont break up the Gini, Hendo, Milner combo if he plays this way. I cant really judge or criticize him that much as Milner was basically a 3rd central defender.

I will be a bit more happy once we longer have to pay Moreno's wages. I dont see the benefits of having him, even as a backup. It's not that he had a terrible game, just more of a long standing point of view.

Now onto the next league game.

FGred

Played Wolves twice recently and we won the league game and lost the cup game,the right way around for me.
And when they play our first team at Anfield in the league they will get battered, our back four in the first half were there for the taking but they did nothing with all the possession and a 16 year old embarrassed some of their players at times. Milner was hard done by tonight on the forum he was asked to cover a few positions by JK but he had no support and he ran his heart out all game him, Fabinho and Hoever were the only ones who came out of it intact Keita holds on to the ball far too long before release. When Bobby came on he spread the passes fast and with grace and poise even under pressure.

Dave-D

So we’re out of the FA cup, Klopp doesn’t care about the FA cup. I on the other hand would’ve preferred to stay in it.
Some positives and negatives, I’ll start with the positives.

The youngsters done well especially Hoever.
Klopp may now feel the need to dip into the transfer market as Sturridge, Moreno and Mignolet are horrid and don’t bring anything to the squad.
Origi scored which should help his confidence

Negatives
Lovren has done his usual, when needed gets injured.
Sturridge, Moreno and Mignolet were horrid and don’t bring anything to the squad.
Keita is having a mare of a time right now.
Milner needs a rest at least a week if not two.
Salah and Firmino played when I’d prefer them not to have.
A 16 year old making his debut for the first team gets MoTM when the squad players should be stepping up.
Liverpool are out of the FA cup.

On a side note am I reading to much into Camacho playing by thinking he’ll now stay as RB backup?

Libero

Been saying that for years. Sahin was another, Can was hit and miss too. All of them got bigged up by a lot of the fanbase without anyone ever seeing them in the flesh.
Son ? Firmino ? Didi Hamman ? Sane ? There are arguments for and against the Bundesliga. I'd be questioning the individuals character before the league to be honest.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
There was atime I looked forward to the FA cup,but those days have long gone.
Accordingly when I saw the line up,any real interest evaporated,which appeared to be the case with the senior players out there,too.The kids did alright,young Hoever in particular was interesting.
I suppose Keita is going to make us proud one day,but certainly not today.
So Brighton here we come.

Red Ted

My own opinion on Daniel Sturridge, is that he can make a decent pass but that he is an excellent striker, meaning that when he actually strikes the ball, it is dangerous. However, being good at striking the ball is not enough, so like you, I don't think he has enough in him and imo, he can probably be safely sold if we get a replacement. He has serious problems with his work rate. It is not fun to be that brutal in an assessment of a player, at least not for me, but that is my opinion.
It's just being real, the truth often isn't fun & nice, that's why people don't like it or avoid it by sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and shouting blahaha lala lala blah la blah blah.

Flobs

FADA
You have to question the Bundesliga when you consider Matip, Karius and Keita were seen as top players there.

Anyone who thinks we have adequate cover for the front three is mistaken. Rotate any of that lot in during the run in and results will be at risk.

Given that most of those who played for us tonight wouldn't get in the Wolves side, they ought to stop mouthing off about not playing for us.

Seems like most of them fancied a warm weather training break rather than the 4th round. I'd send them to Siberia rather than La Manga.

Too many of our centre backs are too injury prone. Good job Fab looked ok at centre back.

Not the end of the world, but we need to do something in the transfer market this month.
There is Firmino, I know he has times when he is usless but he has always had class and when he plays well Oh my! :)

jaffod

Couldn't agree more the times as a lad we begged borrowed and stole to get down to Wembley in the 80s,it meant everything to us back then, I know there's no money in it now but for goodness sake were Liverpool FC.
Those were the days the same 11 would play 70 games a season, be pissed up 5 nights a week, smoke, eat pie and chips every night, shag birds they met in the Continental and then go on a mad one in the summer.
Now we have the likes of Sturridge and Lallana.

Flobs

FADA
I remember a time where I really cared for the FA cup, its diminished for me, don't know why.

I sort of cant really complain about a single player as the team was disjointed. I dont expect that team to click if they haven't played much together. It's was most likely always going to be more like a group of individuals, than a team. Glad some of the youth got their debut.

I was hoping Keita was going to have an awesome game, so I was disappointed. He wont break up the Gini, Hendo, Milner combo if he plays this way. I cant really judge or criticize him that much as Milner was basically a 3rd central defender.

I will be a bit more happy once we longer have to pay Moreno's wages. I dont see the benefits of having him, even as a backup. It's not that he had a terrible game, just more of a long standing point of view.

Now onto the next league game.
I know, when we looked like we had a chance of winning it. Don't give up hope it's still a worthy trophy to win. :)

jaffod

I agree with most of your post. I think Sturridge has a career but quite clearly only as an impact player. Not a starter.
I thought Milner played well in a tough situation. Someone mentioned he looked unfit, i actually think its because he never stopped running. His touch for their first goal obviously will be seen negatively but how about the horror ball by Moreno, literally passed the buck in a tight situation and sold Milner short.
Said that to my lad at the time, cunt of a ball from a cunt of a player.

Flobs

FADA
It's just being real, the truth often isn't fun & nice, that's why people don't like it or avoid it by sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and shouting blahaha lala lala blah la blah blah.
That from you. lol

jaffod

Son ? Firmino ? Didi Hamman ? Sane ? There are arguments for and against the Bundesliga. I'd be questioning the individuals character before the league to be honest.
Yeah, just to make clear I wasn't really making a point about the Bundesliga, more the fact most of the players we've bought from it have turned out to be disappointments.

Ben64

I only want us to win the EPL. All else matters little. Looking forward to Brighton.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
I haven't gone through all the comments. This might not be a popular viewpoint and if anyone disagrees with me then I fully accept that.

Any other year I would be raging. This year however we have a chance at winning the league. We've been runners up under Houllier, Rafa and Rodgers but in none of those seasons did we have the same feeling around the Club. Looking back I think I remember 2009 more fondly than 2014. I remember crying my eyes out after the last minute winner at Fulham, at United having some shaky moments after we shat on them at Old Trafford, at that unbelievable 4-4 with Arsenal which even had my then fiancee (who's never been a football supporter although having lived in Liverpool when at uni she always favoured us - the only team I think she ever really would 'support' is Barca but that's because we went to Barcelona on our honeymoon and her only ever football match was with almost 100k other fans watching Barcelona at the Nou Camp) jump up and down and scream at the tv.

However great those moments are though we were always chasing. There was never a feeling in my stomach that we were there. In 2009 I still think United's turnaround against Villa won it for them as it halted a few bad results and got their confidence back (also the introduction of the world's new bestest ever player Macheda). In 2014 I always had the chelsea game at the back of my mind. Even after the City game I couldn't feel secure. I'm not sure how best to describe it and probably the best comparison I can remember was us scoring late against Leverkusen. I had been busting for a pish and couldn't hold out. As I was walking back towards the toilets the whole bar was singing You'll never walk alone and I just had a feeling of fear that it was premature celebrating. I felt like that in 2014. I loved it but I feared it.

Not so now. With our first team (and praying that we can get some defenders able to take to the field) and under this manager who has won titles in similar situations against the one team in Germany that really should be walking the league (just as City should be here with their resources) that I can look towards the second half of the season without trepidation.

May 25th 2005 will always be one of the best nights of my life. I cried at 1-0. I was in floods at 3-0. I was sobbing like a child at 3-3. At the end I was simply beyond thoughts or feelings. My only memory at the end was that we were watching it in a house that a number of my friends lived in. One of the guys living there and myself were the only real Liverpool fans in the room and at the end the two of us hugged, cried and I actually believed if we each didn't have the other to lean on we'd have collapsed as our energy was spent. I know they'd never admit it but, regardless of the fact that they hated it and had a fair bit to drink too but even our United supporting friends were so happy to see two of their friends like that they put aside our normal differences to come up to hug and congratulate us.

Why do I mention all of this? Because this season I would trade everything for the league. The FA Cup and even the CL. There was at least a decade where the FA Cup didn't really feel important (strangely it coincided with the English teams regularly getting to the final of the CL) and a friend saying he'd rather go out in the third round and have his team put more effort into the league and into Europe than reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup and then go out.

I feel like that this season. I imagine I won't next year. I didn't feel like that last year. But I remember us winning the league and if anyone told me we'd be looking at three decades without winning it again I'd have laughed at you - virtually how all United fans laughed at suggestions they'd suffer so badly after Fergie went.

Tonight was not a good night in terms of our performance and that is more of a worry for me than the result. For me we again saw that some of our replacements mightn't cut it if we get injuries and have to rely on them. For example as much as I think Sturridge can be effective coming on late against tired defenders I think starting with him against fresh opponents is almost like starting a man down. Now I'm just choosing one player and am not meaning to suggest that tonight lies on Sturridge but the team in general weren't good tonight.

However we'll go again. We can put all our eggs into the two juiciest baskets now. We've waited so, so long to have a chance where we can look at the league and say we can do this. Granted I still think City are favourites simply due to the strength of their squad. On a first team basis I think we match them but not if we have to end up relying on a few of the players we had out there tonight. However it's the first time in a long time that I can happily sit with a smile on my face and know that if we continue to play as have been doing in the league, or at least grind out results as we have irregardless of hoe we've played then I know that come May there could be a time when I've once again expended all my energy and emotion and could be hugging someone, crying and leaning on them just keep myself up because we have a chance to win the big one.

As much as I have always despised going out of any cup this year, this time I would happily sacrifice those few extra games. Anything at all to give us every tiniest boost we can get is fine by me so for the first time in memory I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed at going out of the Cup. I can still dream of bigger things.

Sorry for the long-winded rambling. Wasn't intended to be this long.

Macolfc

Personally for me, I think we should of had a good crack at the FA cup. Like I said earlier, we fuck the league up & it’s more than likely another season with no trophy. I know it was the early stages & every club does it, but it pisses me right off. We sell out our allocation for every away game, fans will of paid what £30/40 for a ticket tonight & probably £20 on the coach or a few quid in fuel. Maybe even taking the day off work to get to the match in time. I’m sure the club wouldn’t like it one bit if fans had the same attitude the club does towards these competitions these days. You never see us say ‘ oh it’s only the fa cup we will all stay at home & watch it on tele because it’s only the cup and we can save money ‘.

KevinRiz91

Said that to my lad at the time, cunt of a ball from a cunt of a player.
Shite ball into Milly, then did his usual brain dead act of thinking he’s some sort of raging Central Midfielder. The amount of time their lad had in what should have been Morenos position to get his shot away was horrendous. Jogging back as well. Rip his contract and bin him off. Absolute waster man

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Football is a two team game.

This Wolves side held City and Arsenal to draws and beat Chelsea and Tottenham.

Perspective is perspective.
Yeah I actually thought when I looked at the sides that Wolves would destroy the defence, especially after Lovern went off.

I think some have forgot how transformed that defence was by the additions of VVD, Alison and to be honest Robertson as well.

The Flying Pig

It matters ! !

01.05.1965 - Liverpool win the FA Cup for the first time in the club's history. Bill Shankly said: "Grown men were crying and it was the greatest feeling any human being could have to see what we had done. There have been many proud moments. Wonderful, fantastic moments. But that was the greatest day."

Winning trophies creates memories, traditions and club history. No one who was in Liverpool when the Cup was paraded through the streets in 65 will ever forget the crowds and euphoria. The pubs ran dry but the Liver Birds didn't fly away as predicted.

Having Cup Final tickets and going to Wembley with your dad, your mates, brothers or uncles are lifetime golden memories.

LFC is about romance and passion. It's not just another global franchise run by accountants and sports scientists to sell shirts.

It was painful tonight to watch a manager and players who couldn't be arsed.