• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Wolves 2-1 Liverpool (FAC 7/1/19 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camacho

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Lovren [off 7’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Moreno

• Milner

• Keita

• Jones [off 70’]

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Sturridge [off 70’]

• Origi [GOAL 51’]

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Hoever [on 7’]

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Firmino [on 70’]

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Salah [on 70’]

• Total voters

jaffod

As much as I get the sentiment here we’d be the same fans complaining if one of the likes of VVD or Robbo got injured, could potentially knack our whole season up. Think Klopp got it right tonight, and yeah it’s crap on the fans (who were boss tonight btw) but you get highs and lows following footy, bet that journey home isn’t as bad as the coach trips coming back in the Hodgson days!
I'm glad we're out. Some of my best days following this club were watching FA Cup finals at Wembley and Cardiff but those days are gone, it's no different to the Caraboa cup or whatever the fuck it's called.
Just read Klopp's comments and he said Lovren wasn't in the plans but ended up playing because Lallana and Henderson dropped out, don't get that tbh. Who was he going to play at CB? Hendo and Fabinho? Fucking strange, and it's ended up costing us.

Magnus

I'm glad we're out. Some of my best days following this club were watching FA Cup finals at Wembley and Cardiff but those days are gone, it's no different to the Caraboa cup or whatever the fuck it's called.
Just read Klopp's comments and he said Lovren wasn't in the plans but ended up playing because Lallana and Henderson dropped out, don't get that tbh. Who was he going to play at CB? Hendo and Fabinho? Fucking strange, and it's ended up costing us.
Wait, are you blaming the most blameless of all our players, Lovren? Man, I am disappointed too, but there are limits. Maybe I misunderstood though.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Anyone else getting a little concerned that Keita may not be cut out for England? Something just seems.....missing/off? Not sure on the right way to describe. Just seems like the sort of player that wants 5 touches when 3 is required. You see flashes on this brilliant player that wants to drive at players, but that's all it's been. Odd game aside.

dockers_strike

This club was built on winning league titles and we haven’t won one in 28 seasons.
Absolutely spot on. Just been reading some comments else where. One fan says you need to be a club who wins cups to win titles. How many cups have we won since 1990 then? I make it 11 including European Super Cups, so how come we've not won a title between 1990 and 2012, the last time we won a cup?

Football has changed and so has Liverpool Football Club and neither is this the 1980's. I saw us win every league title from 1964 to 1990. In the years after 1990, I consoled myself winning cups instead of league titles to 2012 thinking each one would be a springboard to number 19. And each and every time it wasnt. Then I realised Id settled for LFC winning any trophy because 'LFC exists to win trophies" instead of doing what it should have been, winning league titles.

But, Bill Shankly always described the league to be the bread and butter of this club with cups at home or abroad, the icing on the cake. It was Moores who came out with the 'exists' line because winning cups was all we could realistically aim for. And once you accept that, you accept you're never going to be good enough to win the league ever again.

It's like when the first bid to buy van Dijk fell through, social media and fan forums were overloaded with 'just buy any cb' instead. That's where we are regarding trophies. But, 30 years is a bigger embarassment imvho than 7 years.

sabbatwolf

TIA Youth Team
I'm disappointed to be out of the cup but not at all suprised. In the pre-match where Klopp spoke about having to rotate it was obvious we were going to field a much weakened side. Foolish against a Wolves side that would be inevitably be full strengh if we actually wanted to progress.

On the other hand, I do like to see the youngsters get a run out with senior players and the 3 boys did reasonably ok tonight considering how little fluency the team had as a whole.

The 'magic' of the competition does fade for me when we get teams in the same league in the early rounds, luck of the draw I know but it just isn't as interesting. Ultimately I would have liked to progress but considering the injury list we're already collecting, I can understand Klopp's team selection even if I'm not overly happy about it.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
True he scored that goal, to be honest maybe he really isn't capable of doing much more for us than pulling something important out of his lazy arse once or twice a season?

I can't help but look at him as a complete waste of time wage thief, the true definition of one, he's on 140k a week and he's given the club/us next to nothing for those millions, it's beyond disgraceful really but there you go, some fans will still blow his trumpet and carry on their delusions that he's still a good striker.
not sure that there are that many that will claim he is a good striker
but there was a brief shining moment at the end of last year - when he played a little deeper and floated a beautiful pass to set up our 3rd goal in a match and there was much buzz about that being his next role for us - alas it don't look that way at all

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Christ almighty, there is some bed shitting going on in this thread. I’m not arsed in the slightest we’re out of the FA Cup. Klopp had to use it as an opportunity to rest players. We were always going to find it difficult against a wolves side that was more or less their strongest.

I’m not buying that this performance shows up our depth. Any one of those lads looks a lot stronger surrounded by quality. Dropping six second string lads and a few kids is inevitably going to hit the quality overall.

That said the evening has a few disappointments.

1. Shaqiri and Keita. Bundling these together as they are the two lads with the most pressing claim to first action, and while both did bits that show a glimpse of their quality, neither made any case for inclusion over those who are starting.

2. Lovren injured again. Simply not reliably fit (same goes for Matip) when we need him. He is good enough to be third choice, but his untimely absences now need to be addressed.

3. Milner looks knackered, but I wouldn’t be too quick to put it down to age. I think he looks like he is struggling for fitness, and I wonder if he’s back from injury too soon.

And a few positives.

1. What a prospect Hoever looks. Had some ropey moments, but you can why he’s caught Klopp’s eye. To play like that at sixteen is really impressive.

2. Fabinho looks a good option to play Centre Back, and that a good thing as we might need him there on Saturday.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I would challenge anyone to name a side that could rotate 10 players from their strongest side and not experience a drop in quality. What do City look like if you take out ten of the lads who started on Thursday?

C

Caradoc

I would challenge anyone to name a side that could rotate 10 players from their strongest side and not experience a drop in quality. What do City look like if you take out ten of the lads who started on Thursday?

Up late tonight Mascot!

jaffod

I don't think anyone is suggesting there should be no drop off in quality but people are pissed off with what looked like a 'couldn't be arsed' attitude amongst some players who should have been running through brick walls in a bid to impress.
Origi and Sturridge stunk the place out first half, Origi improved second half but Sturridge didn't. Sturridge has been one of my favourite players over the past 5 years but enough is enough, he should be told to find himself another club if he wants to play again this season. He was a fucking disgrace. Mignolet and Moreno were both turd and Keita did fuck all to suggest he should be getting a run in the side.
All players who have something to prove, all poor to various degrees. Throw in Lallana and Lovren getting crocked again and it's easy to see how people are frustrated.

Rooster

What a hit son
Maybe I will recover a bit when they play Stoke in the next round on a shitty day whilst we rest up to prepare to stay on top in the League.

The only other positive besides the performance of the young fella is we have not wasted a few rounds. Might as well go out early than at the pointy end.

Still in a dark mood though knowing we had some experienced players not standing up.

Flobs

FADA
You've got sand in your fanny because of my opinion on Jordan Henderson, if not can you elaborate on that comment?
No it was more a reaction to your pretention. Let's face it we are only expressing our opinions. Best just leave it at that imo.
In any case this is just a post match thread and full of knee jerk reactions that could change with a 15 minute stint in our next game. :-)

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Why r players Like Studge and Origi being targetted as scapegoats. Up until Lovren's injury, we were actually creating good chances. But once Loovren went out, we were penned back in our own half and that's not up to our forwards to get the ball up most of the time unless we were relying on long balls.

We got beat by a strong Wolves side when we could only field FB's consisting Fab and Hoever as a sub on for Lovren, both are way out of their depth in this match. Millner in my mind had to heavily cover Hoever thus hampering our MF further. With Wolves playing and pushing us high, we were finding it difficult to even get out of our own half.

We had our chances. With a little luck this game could have ended 2-2. Shaq's freekick was probably a few cm from goal and goalie had tipped it slightly aways. Wolves had better chances though and this was down to play being broken in middle of the field and them counterattacking dangerously. With the kind of makeshift Def I thought we could have gotten hammered tonight.

Hats off to Wolves, fair play, they fielded their strongest and deserved to be winners at home.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Anyone else getting a little concerned that Keita may not be cut out for England? Something just seems.....missing/off? Not sure on the right way to describe. Just seems like the sort of player that wants 5 touches when 3 is required. You see flashes on this brilliant player that wants to drive at players, but that's all it's been. Odd game aside.
Not worried. Proven talent must play within our starting side not with a terrible mix of out of position players thrown together.

Same thing actually is true for anyone trying to break into the starting 11. That's what happened with Shaq and Fabinho and it'll happen with Keita too.

Also folks need to quit criticizing Daniel as he doesn't need to prove himself to anyone. He's not going to perform well when there's no MF and capable winbacks to find him.

Cup games can no longer be used as judgement games for individual performance.

Magnus

Why r players Like Studge and Origi being targetted as scapegoats. Up until Lovren's injury, we were actually creating good chances. But once Loovren went out, we were penned back in our own half and that's not up to our forwards to get the ball up most of the time unless we were relying on long balls.

We got beat by a strong Wolves side when we could only field FB's consisting Fab and Hoever as a sub on for Lovren, both are way out of their depth in this match. Millner in my mind had to heavily cover Hoever thus hampering our MF further. With Wolves playing and pushing us high, we were finding it difficult to even get out of our own half.

We had our chances. With a little luck this game could have ended 2-2. Shaq's freekick was probably a few cm from goal and goalie had tipped it slightly aways. Wolves had better chances though and this was down to play being broken in middle of the field and them counterattacking dangerously. With the kind of makeshift Def I thought we could have gotten hammered tonight.

Hats off to Wolves, fair play, they fielded their strongest and deserved to be winners at home.
WTF am I reading, you are the second person to blame Lovren for something despite him not playing. Lovren basically got injured when the game started ! Essentially nothing had happened by then! The only thing that had happened was that Wolves had run into an offside, that was all...
The rest of your post I won't bother to comment upon. Agree with some, disagree with some and I'll leave it at that.
Good night to you and everyone else.

RedLar

Disgrace for Liverpool FC to be allowed to remain in this tournament. Why bother? Club should be fined (indeed banned) if that it the extent of its interest in the competition.

Personally, sick of losing cup matches by fielding shit sides. Surprised how many on here are willing to drop their kecks and take it in the arse in cup games, for the dream of a league title. Still just a dream folks. Shame on you all. Liverpool losing like that makes me want to puke. I have too much pride in my team to see them ever lose.

City made one change to their side that beat us, and then wiped the floor with Rotherham. Tell me what side has a head of steam after this past 5 days...... It ain't ours.

Fucking Awful! There - its off me chest. Least its not still up me arse.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Hoever looked as good as you could expect for a 16 year old who was an injury sub.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
City made one change to their side that beat us, and then wiped the floor with Rotherham. .
Rotherham is 21st in the Championship, not a Premier League side in the top half of the table. Perhaps that isn't a particularly relevant comparison.

Ben64

When I saw the starting line up with Keita and Shaq in it I though "wow, this is going to be electric!" - thus reinforcing why I never got more than a D in any of the electrical engineering classes I took
This is really funny. Thanks. :celebrating:

nikz200

Not that expectations were so high mind you but still expected better I will admit i for one was calling for Camacho and Jones to be given a chance and seeing how Wolves stacked up it worked against us. All of this is only excusable if we go to brighton on saturday and win , cause anything less than a victory at Brighton will show that we are on a collapse and the bad period of form is here. its potentially where we can lose the title.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Disgrace for Liverpool FC to be allowed to remain in this tournament. Why bother? Club should be fined (indeed banned) if that it the extent of its interest in the competition.

Personally, sick of losing cup matches by fielding shit sides. Surprised how many on here are willing to drop their kecks and take it in the arse in cup games, for the dream of a league title. Still just a dream folks. Shame on you all. Liverpool losing like that makes me want to puke. I have too much pride in my team to see them ever lose.

City made one change to their side that beat us, and then wiped the floor with Rotherham. Tell me what side has a head of steam after this past 5 days...... It ain't ours.

Fucking Awful! There - its off me chest. Least its not still up me arse.
Hope you're feeling better.
Now consider this piece from the echo, and you'll see why it's important to prioritize competitions:

"The Reds will now have two free weekends in January / February while other clubs take part in the fourth and fifth round of the FA Cup.

The fourth round takes place on the weekend of Saturday, 26 January and the fifth round three weeks later on February 16/17.

That will mean Liverpool have a full 10 day break ahead of their Champions League tie against Bayern Munich at Anfield on February 19."

Red over the water

Lot of frustration after losing. Understandable.

I think what the cup exits this season have shown (Chelsea and Wolves) is that we need our best side, or very close to it, in order to prevail against quality Premier League opposition. If we get a lower league side we can probably get away with more changes and still win. Not guaranteed, obviously, but lots of changes against strong Prem sides and you might come unstuck.

It feels unpleasant but I’m chilled about it. I understand that football has changed and the league and CL are miles head in the pecking order. We are currently top of the league and putting up record numbers in terms of points haul. We may or may not win the title and time will tell on that, but we are putting up a heck of a fight and have every reason to be proud. The CL was a bit strange but with three strong teams in the group we got it done on the last day against Napoli and we are in he knockout stages, where anything can happen.

Sad to lose, but somehow still philosophical about the whole thing.

Incognito

The Normal One
Well, our squad depth might not be as good as it may look actually. Some of those performances were not because of playing with a team not settled in or quality of opposition or being rusty or team mates not supporting. For instance, Moreno couldn't do even the basic simple things right. Migs with his effort on the first goal and absolute balls attitude by Sturridge.

Think there are lot of players that should be upgraded before we think of Hendo, Lovren, etc. to be upgraded. Markovic, Lallana, Moreno, Mignolet, Sturridge, Origi in that order. Actually believe Clyne should have stayed instead of Albie. I haven't seen a player as useless and frustrating as him. What the fck did he do the entire game? It's simply not acceptable.

Don't care being knocked out of cup, what I care about is the shitty attitude with which the team played. Not worthy of playing in that ref shirt, many of them.