• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Wolves v Liverpool (EPL 22/1/2020 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 65 38.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Gomez

Votes: 43 25.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 29 17.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 8’]

Votes: 128 76.6%
  • Wijnaldum

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 70’]

• Salah [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Firmino [GOAL 84’]

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Mane [off 33’]

• Minamino [on 33’]

• Fabinho [on 70’]

• Origi [on 85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I think the game against Leicester was my favourite away victory so far this season as it was such a dominant performance over a decent side. However, this victory was sweet as we were up against it with a seriously capable and in-form side.
My favourite is our win against Mancity. Pep raging 'twice twiiice' at the moon is the funniest moment of the season for me.

Last edited:

Libero

People being overly critical on Salah he had ever right to take those shots, had he scored we would be lauding him with one of the goals of the season. He made the chances himself and had the right to take them. The positions of the others were not 100% goal scoring opportunities anyway. We know he has that selfish greedy streak in him a, but it’s like telling Mane not to jink and sprint past a defender, or Bobby doing a no look.

Henderson should be nailed on for writers player and players player... overall who knows but who cares. He has been absolutely huge this season, happy for him to get a goal too.

Gomez, VvD and Allison, rocks, huge performances by all 3 and impressive once again.

As for Wolves and the game in general very tight, and like others I was feeling some nerves, but Bobby once again comes up trumps, we are relentless. A lot of people talking about Traore but their best player is Raul Jiminez the guy is class, clean player, plays strong but fair, beautiful touch on him and a great finisher. One of the most underrated players in the league, or just doesn’t get talked about enough.

Such an impressive 3 points.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Did BR pay us a vist at half time?
Tactical and formation change. We lost our rhythm, lost our pressing, made Firmino and Salah run far too much without purpose; Just lost it. Who the hell was responsible for that mess?
Any way we got through it as Henderson wouldn't let anything lie as did the rest of the team but a goal and an assit surely gets MOTM.
We, at the moment seem to become negative once we have scored and the 2nd goal hasn't come, rather than still being positive, however this also something we as fans have wanted, a team that can defend a lead.

I do feel we have to keep possession better when pressed and I think that is the evolution of our team.

Still love em all they give everything to win

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
People being overly critical on Salah he had ever right to take those shots, had he scored we would be lauding him with one of the goals of the season. He made the chances himself and had the right to take them. The positions of the others were not 100% goal scoring opportunities anyway. We know he has that selfish greedy streak in him a, but it’s like telling Mane not to jink and sprint past a defender, or Bobby doing a no look.

Henderson should be nailed on for writers player and players player... overall who knows but who cares. He has been absolutely huge this season, happy for him to get a goal too.

Gomez, VvD and Allison, rocks, huge performances by all 3 and impressive once again.

As for Wolves and the game in general very tight, and like others I was feeling some nerves, but Bobby once again comes up trumps, we are relentless. A lot of people talking about Traore but their best player is Raul Jiminez the guy is class, clean player, plays strong but fair, beautiful touch on him and a great finisher. One of the most underrated players in the league, or just doesn’t get talked about enough.

As a professional, Salah has to look at his performance for the team and if someone is in a better position with a higher percentage to score then he should pass the ball, because that is the right option, simple as.

As you say if he scores we celebrate if he misses expect the criticism.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
a few things

1. At this point, Salah being called "selfish" by anyone is just false. On our field of play he is our biggest threat and he literally draws defenders to him. Because he has self belief he will take shots and i don't mind him taking shots at all. If he could pass every now and then we will be 100 but i don't think people have a right to label Mo as anything negative when he is only being a forward. Im sure Ronaldo and Messi all have chances similar to Salah, but we won't criticise them for taking the shot, so why are we attacking Salah for? Our front guys need confidence and if he needs to take shots to help with that, let it be. Cause at the end of the season his goal tally will be up there with the best in this league and it would have helped us secure our first title in 30 years. (all depending of course, now guarantees in life)
The point on Mo is one of decision making.

I’ve little problem with him taking shots and backing himself. But when the result of a game is in the balance, and there is a player with a greater chance of scoring in space, then you pass the fucking ball.

This isn’t a binary thing. You can think that Mo needs to put the team first more, while also understanding he is a wonderful footballer we are privileged to watch.

On Messi and Ronaldo, firstly they are non of our business, and it’s not like our culture or identity shares anything with those clubs. Juve and Barca are happy to build their clubs round one individual - it works for them so be it.

Mo is playing in a much more competitive league, and there will be games in which we can’t rely on creating enough chances for him to indulge himself with umpteen speculative potshots before someone bails us out. Wolves are somewhere between the fourth and sixth best side in the country, and they had our balls in a vice last night. Those are the games when we have to make our chances count.

Last night Jordan said that we have to get better at killing games and taking our chances. I think thats a little captain’s reminder that it’s a team game and the team comes first. If Mo is a little less selfish, then the last 30mins don’t have to be the energy sapping dogfight it turned into.

So in this video one of the show guys Ale Moreno says we have been on this run and barely hanging in games and that we are vulnerable. Lets get it straight right here. This is not luck, its not something we just luck out each game and teams take it easy on us. Every game the lads have played have been wins created by their efforts built on season after season of experience and will. I find people trying to belittle our run and saying we are barely getting through games. Well of course , the opposition for the most point has been tough, we have marred with injuries and fixture overload since November. People were expecting us to struggle during this DEC - JAN period but we have come out of it in strength. You know how many games Gini, Van Dijk and Robbo have played this season alone? It just ticks me off. I remember during citys title runs they had poor spells and or games where they struggled. But why do they get lauded and we get attacked? We certainly didn't play like Jose's chelseas teams which parked the bus later in their runs.
Nah, I agree with him. We’ve been lucky. For forty games now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jaffod

Don't agree on Salah, twice he had the chance to play in a better placed team-mate but went for glory himself. There were a couple of other occasions when he took shots that he really had no chance of scoring with as well. Got away with it because of Bobby's goal but if we'd drawn 1-1 I think a lot of people would be having a pop at him today.

Agree with you on Hendo though, he's grown massively on the back of leading us to the CL and he deserves all the praise he gets, right now he's the first name on the team-sheet as far as midfield goes. Not just having a go at Mo but the winner last night summed it up for me. Mo trying to wangle his way through and getting nowhere, ball breaks to Hendo who just plays a no-nonsense ball into Bobby and he buries it.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I feel we have had a lot of luck this year but that goes hand in hand with our grit, effort and quality
Same as those United teams. People say they had luck but I always said they push and push for a winner so will always have chances. But, yes, you do need some luck.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
We weren't quite as terrible as some in the match thread were saying but we certainly didn't play well.

And yet I still always felt like we would win. Can never write this team off.
Agree here, we still had more and better quality chances, just our end product is making games closer than they should be.

jaffod

We, at the moment seem to become negative once we have scored and the 2nd goal hasn't come, rather than still being positive, however this also something we as fans have wanted, a team that can defend a lead.

I do feel we have to keep possession better when pressed and I think that is the evolution of our team.

That's the biggest issue for me. We've managed games out well in the last month, conserved energy by knocking it about at the back and keeping possession for long periods.
But those teams haven't pressed aggressively so it's been relatively easy, when teams are more aggressive we go to pot and lose composure which results in us coughing the ball up and playing aimless long passes and losing possession.
If we can improve on this (and chance conversion) we'd be just about unstoppable.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
The commentary on the game was shocking. Wolves are a decent team for sure with some really good players and a good stadium with vocal, if immensely thick fans but fucking hell, Jim Proudfoot and that utter cunt Jim Beglin were having a collective wankfest about Wolves and one would think we were playing Barcelona at the Nou Camp or something. Fitting, then, that for all their bleating about how nobody comes back more than Wolves and how nobody comes into the game more than Wolves at a later stage and how Wolves score more than anyone at a later stage we actually score the late winner.
I dont understand Beglin being an ex red you think he would be bias towards us in his commentary, but he is the opposite and talks shit most of the time.

Redofheaven

I feel we have had a lot of luck this year but that goes hand in hand with our grit, effort and quality
As Gary Player once said - the more I practice the luckier I get! Same for our boys. I appreciate we played more attractive football last year but our mentality and never die attitude is far far stronger this year. How many times have we said we have won ugly this year.....We would have taken any ONE ugly win last year instead of a draw!

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I don't think we've had any luck at all.
How many gilt edge chances have been missed against us? It is as though Gomez does sone hoodoo on the opposition.

Not saying it is down to this but there has been a few bad misses against us.

Don't get me wrong there isn't a game that imo we haven't deserved to win and have fluffed our lines in front of goal, but I do believe that we have also had luck with easy chances being missed by our opposition.

[email protected]

I dont understand Beglin being an ex red you think he would be bias towards us in his commentary, but he is the opposite and talks shit most of the time.
Classic case of overcompensating so as not to sound biased and ending up sounding like a clueless prick. Neville and Carragher don't agree, often sound a bit over the top but they're honest in the way they call it, normally give credit where its due and don't bother hiding their allegiances and while they they get the piss taken out of them and often say incredulous things I'd rather have that as I know its genuine rather someone like Beglin who has somehow landed himself the gig of being one half of the 'big game' commentary team.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
That's the biggest issue for me. We've managed games out well in the last month, conserved energy by knocking it about at the back and keeping possession for long periods.
But those teams haven't pressed aggressively so it's been relatively easy, when teams are more aggressive we go to pot and lose composure which results in us coughing the ball up and playing aimless long passes and losing possession.
If we can improve on this (and chance conversion) we'd be just about unstoppable.
In total agreement with this we do need to have more composure, but I feel that is the bext step for this team.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
We must have had the same commentators. Talking it up like we were definitely going to lose at 1-1 and how many late goals Wolves had scored. Particularly so when their striker came on towards the end (Jota was it??), talking up all the "critical" last minute goals he had scored.
They seemed to forget that we have more than scored our fair share of late goals.
Thanks Jim's, you can stop stroking each other off now, may I introduce you to Bobby...
I actually watched the game, from start to finish, with the sound off because the commentators wind me up so much. They can’t wait for us to lose a game. For me personally, it less stressful with the sound off, without having to listen to the dickhead.

jaffod

How many gilt edge chances have been missed against us? It is as though Gomez does sone hoodoo on the opposition.

Not saying it is down to this but there has been a few bad misses against us.

Don't get me wrong there isn't a game that imo we haven't deserved to win and have fluffed our lines in front of goal, but I do believe that we have also had luck with easy chances being missed by our opposition.
I don't see that as luck.

When Salah missed that sitter against the mancs on Sunday I didn't see anyone saying Mo was unlucky or that the mancs were lucky. I suppose it's a matter of allegiance really, opposition fans will ridicule our lads for missing chances like that but if it's Lo Celso, Martial or Docherty(?) then we're lucky bastards.

OzzyKop

People being overly critical on Salah he had ever right to take those shots, had he scored we would be lauding him with one of the goals of the season.
You remember the Everton or west ham games last season? I really wanted to celebrate a goal assisted by salah in those games. Maybe we would've ended up on more than 97 points last season. If his decision making or attitude do not change it will cost us especially if we go deep in CL.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Maybe have a look at Salahs stats for goal involvement including assists, before you replace him with a relatively unproven new signing.
Minamino may become integral in the squad, but pairing him with the other two isnt necessarily what works best for the team. Salah did everything but score last night. If any other player was as industrious we would be calling him MOTM.
Was referring to the lack of service that minamino got. Yes , Salah does assist but he didn't do that this match. He doesn't pass enough. What I'm suggesting is that he needs to be better at judging when he's better off at passing the ball.

Flobs

FADA

That's all well and good but it was clear within 5mins of the 2nd half starting it was our press on their 'wide' CB's and Neves, in the 1st half, that was permitting us to win the ball back and play football.
Our classic 442 formation left them with far to much space (they in possession play a diamond at the back so a sort of 3133 and use the wings) we ended up with too many central midfielders with noone to mark leading to AOC, Minamino, TAA and Robertson not being able to cope. Just switching to a 442 diamond would have done wonders imo.
For me the formation and tactical changes for the 2nd half were ill advised causing us to do a lot more running than was necessary (particularly Salah and Firmino who should have been advised to forget Coady and just close down the 'wide' CB's with Gini pressing Neves or something like that.

I will also add that at 1/2 time Wolves looked shagged (so in principal going defensive was a good idea) however they found extra energy from playing at home. We saw after our 2nd goal that they were completely burnt out and that goal finished them off.

jaffod

I was pretty critical of Mo last night but I'll say this, you can't fault his work-rate or desire. There was a moment when they broke on us in the 2nd half and Mo was basically the last man. Can't remember the incident exactly but Mo was the one who attempted to put in the tackle on their lad. Seen him do it a few times lately, bust a gut to get back and help the defence . Mane has done it as well. Only that lazy cunt Firmino who doesn't seem arsed.;)

Flobs

FADA
Was referring to the lack of service that minamino got. Yes , Salah does assist but he didn't do that this match. He doesn't pass enough. What I'm suggesting is that he needs to be better at judging when he's better off at passing the ball.
If you haven't noticed Salah can not pass which is surely why he appears selfish. ;)

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Charlie Nicholas told Sky Sports: “This is a cracking game and Liverpool will be on such a high. I genuinely thought Liverpool looked tired and leggy, especially at the end, against Manchester United. Have they enough to come in and cover this one up?

“Jurgen Klopp took Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino off in the latter stages, but it was a case of hanging in there and going a bit more defensively. I have never really seen that from Klopp but some of those players were dead on their feet.

“As cool as Virgil van Dijk and the back four have been, there was a vulnerability there. It was a massive game and they got the result. That being said, I see Liverpool’s first defeat of the season coming on Thursday, but it will not change the destiny of the Premier League title.

“Wolves relish the games against the top-six sides. Wolves looked assured at Anfield but got nothing from it. Klopp may make some changes and it could disrupt them a little bit.”

So it was never in doubt.

Regarding Salah: I don't know what's going on with him, but he's been sloppy and selfish in a good number of games. He keeps trying extravagant backheels and tricks which rarely pay off, he rarely looks up when he's in possession in a dangerous area and his finishing has plummeted. The sitter against the mancs, Mane's pass which had him one on one with Patricio, even his chance early in the second half after he dispossessed Traore; he should have buried all of them. It's got to a point that you expect him to miss rather than score.

Maybe he's trying too hard, or he's just not as good as he thinks he's. Whatever the case, he needs to simplify his game, get the basics right and the rest will follow.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
I get ya but really how much higher can this team set the bar? We're literally breaking records every game, still european champions and undefeated in the league and are widely regarded as the best club team on the planet... if that's not GREAT i don't know what is!! if an ex player regardless of how great their team was in the past can't acknowledge greatness when they see it then they shouldn't be commenting on football games. Just watching from afar keeping their salty views to themselves.
I heard the Beglin commentary too. Got to say I certainly don't find him 'salty'. Wolves are a strong side. We are bordering on great - to really become that we need to actually win those trophies and get those records *at the end of the season*. He's not saying that won't happen; he's just (quite rightly ) setting the bar high. We are not Leicester. Great Liverpool sides win lots of titles. This one will have the league to go with the CL soon; hopefully a couple more too by seasons end. When that happens then I'm sure Jim Beglin won't hold back in his praise. He was unlucky with injuries but he played under Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish so he'd have high expectations for what he'd call a great Liverpool team. He seems generally fair with his praise of individual players (Liverpool or otherwise) while also gently criticizing when appropriate.

I don't always agree with his commentary calls but he does seem to try not to be partisan which is actually a good thing for a commentator. He also is humble and doesn't billy bollocks himself like some of the former pros who love to reference when they played for whichever 'big club' even though in most cases they contributed fuck all to winning the big prizes - Michael Owen 'premier league winner' says hi.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Wow ! what a great match. Overall on good chances created I though we just about deserved it but Wolves certainly made us work for it. Another strong performance by the skipper and Gomez was outstanding at the back as was ( of course) Virgil) Alison proved his class again.
Again we proved that we have more than one way to win a game. What a team.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Didnt see the game yet so dont know how 'selfish' Salah was last night but i thought it worth mentioning that he has had more assists in each of the last two seasons than either Firmino or Mane. He has one fewer than Mane (and one more than Firmino) this season.