Post Match: Wolves v Liverpool (EPL 22/1/2020 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 65 38.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Gomez

Votes: 43 25.7%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 29 17.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henderson [GOAL 8’]

Votes: 128 76.6%
  • Wijnaldum

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 70’]

• Salah [off 85’]

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Firmino [GOAL 84’]

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Mane [off 33’]

• Minamino [on 33’]

• Fabinho [on 70’]

• Origi [on 85’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I think the villa away game was our toughest, we were so off that day, just our determination and belief got us 3 points.
On paper, wolves and city away were going to be our toughest fixtures..
That was our own causing though......

I kind of meant the games we had left, I think Everton (It's there last chance of success for them and Man City could be hard
I was pretty critical of Mo last night but I'll say this, you can't fault his work-rate or desire. There was a moment when they broke on us in the 2nd half and Mo was basically the last man. Can't remember the incident exactly but Mo was the one who attempted to put in the tackle on their lad. Seen him do it a few times lately, bust a gut to get back and help the defence . Mane has done it as well. Only that lazy cunt Firmino who doesn't seem arsed.;)
Yeah I remember seeing Salah basically covering where TAA should have been I think.

Anyhow I'm not going slag him off, if he wasn't on the pitch, we wouldn't even have those positions and chances to lament.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
A tough game for your debut. Minamino will need a little time to get to the pace and pressure that is in the EPL
I feel both our full backs look a bit jaded and the front 3 are playing well in patches but are not at their best. Also thoght Ox was unlucky to be the one to come off as he was offering more than Gini . They will all get a decent break from the pressures of EPL football now with it being cup weekend.

Last edited:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Didnt see the game yet so dont know how 'selfish' Salah was last night but i thought it worth mentioning that he has had more assists in each of the last two seasons than either Firmino or Mane. He has one fewer than Mane (and one more than Firmino) this season.
Because effectively he creates so much... If he wasn't on the pitch we wouldn't score, his chance he has in the second half before they score was him hassling Traore.

Anyhow it was always going be a war of attrition, a game we would struggle to dominate, I still think we did enough to win and Henderson deserves a lot of credit for it. It very much reminded me of one of those tight ones towards the end of last season and it was nothing like the last two games. I said a win anyway we can, and we did and now we are into single figures and back to 16 points with that game in hand.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Didnt see the game yet so dont know how 'selfish' Salah was last night but i thought it worth mentioning that he has had more assists in each of the last two seasons than either Firmino or Mane. He has one fewer than Mane (and one more than Firmino) this season.
No-one is saying he is a selfish player generally but over the last few games he has made poor decisions and gone for goal when others are clearly in better scoring positions. That is a fair critique, it's fine when you are coasting 3-0 but when its 1-0 or 1-1 and on tired legs play more for the team than yourself.

It is always a fine line because you need him to be ruthless, confident and try to score.. He has just tipped over into a 1 man army approach recently which is why it's a tiny raise of concern for me and has contributed to nervy games when we should have put them to bed.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
How many gilt edge chances have been missed against us? It is as though Gomez does sone hoodoo on the opposition.

Not saying it is down to this but there has been a few bad misses against us.

Don't get me wrong there isn't a game that imo we haven't deserved to win and have fluffed our lines in front of goal, but I do believe that we have also had luck with easy chances being missed by our opposition.
You don't win 22 out of 23 without having some margins going your way. So yes, of course we have had a bit of luck along the way.

Or, to put it slightly differently, we haven't been unlucky. Sort of the same thing, but not quite. Every team is unlucky now and then, but that hasn't been the case for us in the league this season.

LaurazRed

Never in doubt.

First of all, credit to Wolves- they played well and their equaliser was outstanding. They went toe-to-toe with the best team in the world and only succumbed late on. I really hope they sneak into fourth place- if they carry on performing like this, they have every chance.

Not the cleanest contact by Henderson for the opening goal but it went in and that’s all that matters. Amazed that VAR ref Pawson didn’t concoct some reason to chalk off the goal, though.

Just how good is the Gomez-VVD partnership? Absolutely colossal, yet again; if there’s a better centre half pairing in Europe, I’ve yet to see it. Alisson was as calm as usual and made an excellent save from Traoré and block from Jimenez; Trent was lively and delivered a top class corner for our opening goal. Robbo, on the other hand, has been well below par lately- he desperately needs a rest against Shrewsbury this weekend.

Henderson was everywhere and Wijnaldum quietly efficient as usual. Not sure what to make of Ox at the moment- there are glimpses of genuine class but periods where he just goes AWOL.

Salah’s finishing has been worryingly inconsistent for some time now- it looks like he’s trying too hard. Bobby had one of his less influential outings and should have done better with a couple of efforts but atoned with a blistering finish late on.

Let’s hope that Mané’s withdrawal was merely precautionary, although any injury is mitigated by the fact that it could allow Minamino a run of games to settle into the side.

MOTM: Jack O’Shea. Not, not the brother of the hapless erstwhile Man U defender but probably the best butcher in London. His ribeye steaks went down a treat this evening... and, as an added bonus, the other half couldn’t finish hers, so I got extra!

P.S: Hey, Pep. How many times did Wolves beat you?

And how many times did we beat them?
Great post. I'm so pleased you mentioned VVD and Gomez so thrilled particularly for Gomez who is looking like the player he was before his ankle injury.

Reds

TIA Youth Team
Just reading the papers now and many so called lfc fans, calling for Salah to be sold and that he is selfish and this selfishness costing us alot. One even suggested that he doesn't want to even see him around Anfield.
Salah is one of the best players we have. I know sometimes he wants to go for glory himself but this is a built in feature in him. His speed is phenomenal his agility is breathtaking and he loves taking on defenders and tackle players. His eagerness to go for goal is sometimes a let down but most strikers do the same.

Richard88

For me the most frustrating part of the match was having to change from my regular subscription (which i pay for) to find an international stream in a language i don't understand just so i don't have to listen to the ridiculous anti liverpool commentary.
Quote from Jim Beglin early on: "Two very good teams here, one MIGHT be bordering on great" ... what an absolute wanker
I find Jim Beglin to be such a boring old fart to listen to. Couldn't find a BT sport stream so had to settle for his commentary on an NBCSports stream instead. His commentary is so generic and takes away from the entertainment factor of the game considerably

Richard88

Just reading the papers now and many so called lfc fans, calling for Salah to be sold and that he is selfish and this selfishness costing us alot. One even suggested that he doesn't want to even see him around Anfield.
Salah is one of the best players we have. I know sometimes he wants to go for glory himself but this is a built in feature in him. His speed is phenomenal his agility is breathtaking and he loves taking on defenders and tackle players. His eagerness to go for goal is sometimes a let down but most strikers do the same.
I think it's fine to complain about how selfish he is - I've done so a bit after the Wolves game. However, it's also important to acknowledge the great things he does for the team, with his pace, goals, hold-up play, etc.

For example, for someone who isn't huge in stature he does a remarkable job in holding the ball up, and that's a key element in what allows us to launch counterattacks so frequently.

He is extremely selfish at times which is a fault, but the other benefits he brings the team more than cancel that selfishness out.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
If you haven't noticed Salah can not pass which is surely why he appears selfish. ;)
He does pass. Just seems to have an aversion to pass to his fellow forwards. I've seen him play the midfielders on. It's like he drops his head and looks for no other alternative other than a shot. Good thing to have confidence in yourself to pull it off but the team has to come first.

This is partly the reason why out of the three , Salah at a very pretty price imo can be the first to be moved out provided he wants to

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
One of the problems, as you will discover as you grow older, is the ever increasing time it takes to recover from a bender. And given that there is no way that my old ticker could take the strain of watching the Pool without the obligatory pre, intra and post match snifters, you will appreciate that by the end of the game I am, as they say, "relaxed as a newt", incapable of standing up straight, much less of coherent thought or typing.

Hence my lateness to the party and my respect for each and every one of you who had the mental and physical fortitude to post immediately after the match.

Anyway, after stoking up the antique hookah*, I was slowly making my way through the thread, when I came across:

If you’d ever met @indianscouser you too would be caustic.

He’s a good friend actually and I am riding the elephant at his wedding. So there was no ill will intended
…I nearly choked on my kedgeree.

I recall, many years ago, overhearing a group of subalterns employing a similar expression in the mess at Jodhpur, so I enquired of the Mem as to its possible meaning; she blushed, averted her gaze, and muttering something along the lines that she couldn't bring to mind to what it might refer.

I just hope, for @indianscouser's sake, that "riding the elephant" isn't some sort of metaphor, euphemism, allegory, innuendo or heaven forefend, a double entendre. (Oooh Matron!)

With regards to the match, it was as I expected, a very hard game, made harder by our players' evident fatigue. One or two of the lads looked out on their feet and distinctly peaky, maybe suffering from a virus? Consequently there were too many wayward passes, and missed opportunities. Watching their goal it was clear that our back four were running on vapour, there was precious little left in the tank. Still, a win is a win and the senior players can put their feet up over the weekend.

And finally, in deference to the sensibilities of @ cynicaloldgit, regarding those who talk about that which shall not be spoken, we shall refrain from further mention. As I said to the Mem, the least said about that, of which we do not speak, by them, of whom we shall not talk, the better.

*not a reference to the Mem

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Great post. I'm so pleased you mentioned VVD and Gomez so thrilled particularly for Gomez who is looking like the player he was before his ankle injury.
Thank you.

The world and his wife know how good Virgil is but Gomez has matched him lately. If (fingers crossed) he can stay fit, young Joe is going to succeed his more senior partner as the world’s best central defender. He really has it all.

Redofheaven

Thank you.

The world and his wife know how good Virgil is but Gomez has matched him lately. If (fingers crossed) he can stay fit, young Joe is going to succeed his more senior partner as the world’s best central defender. He really has it all.
I think we have been very fortunate that whoever plays alongside VVD has stepped their game up immensely. Matip first then Lovren and now Gomez. People were saying Gomez had lost his place and would struggle to get back in....He's now made that position his own again. Blessed be the centre Halves I say!

Wilkored08

I think it's fine to complain about how selfish he is - I've done so a bit after the Wolves game. However, it's also important to acknowledge the great things he does for the team, with his pace, goals, hold-up play, etc.

For example, for someone who isn't huge in stature he does a remarkable job in holding the ball up, and that's a key element in what allows us to launch counterattacks so frequently.

He is extremely selfish at times which is a fault, but the other benefits he brings the team more than cancel that selfishness out.
Mo....infuriating at times, but also a player who will fight for his team and team mates...keep the trio going!!!

jaffod

You don't win 22 out of 23 without having some margins going your way. So yes, of course we have had a bit of luck along the way.

Or, to put it slightly differently, we haven't been unlucky. Sort of the same thing, but not quite. Every team is unlucky now and then, but that hasn't been the case for us in the league this season.
Imo there have been 3 instances this season where VAR has been utilised and an incorrect call has been made. They have all gone against us. Bobby's disallowed goal at Villa, the clear foul on Origi at OT for Utd's goal and Bobby's disallowed goal last week for a supposed foul by VVD.
Atkinson responsible for the first 2. Bobby's goal last week should never have been disallowed because a mistake has to be 'clear and obvious' and it quite simply wasn't.
So I'd say we have been unlucky, to the cost of 2 points. Would have been 4 if we hadn't turned it around at Villa.

*the fact Atkinson was involved twice suggests cheating and bias could just as easily be involved, I'll concede that much*

vjcpatriot

Wolves played us tough. Hats off to them.

But how about Henderson scoring the captain’s goal to set the tone for the entire match?

Firmino disappointed me a few times by missing some easier chances but he fully redeemed himself with a magnificent finish for the late game winner!

This team has an air of invincibility about it. You can just feel that somehow some way they will pull out the win.

Mark my words this is a new Immortals side that will go down in history. Get out your popcorn and savor this historic run. Redmen are on an absolute tear and our rivals lie beaten at our feet! Ynwa !

Last edited:

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
Wolves played us tough. Hats off to them.

But how about Henderson scoring the captain’s goal to set the tone for the entire match?

Firmino disappointed me a few times by missing some easier chances but he fully redeemed himself with a magnificent finish for the game winner!

This team has an air of invincibility about it. You can just feel that somehow some way they will pull out the win.

Mark my words this is a new Immortals side that will go down in history. Get out your popcorn and savor this historic run. Redmen are on an absolute tear and our rivals lie beaten at our feet! Ynwa !
Rivals? Who? Who?? :D

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Thank you.

You really have to strain to recall how weak he could be on lobbed long balls and how often he appeared to misjudge them. Now he uses their arc to pick his pass.

Flobs

FADA
He does pass. Just seems to have an aversion to pass to his fellow forwards. I've seen him play the midfielders on. It's like he drops his head and looks for no other alternative other than a shot. Good thing to have confidence in yourself to pull it off but the team has to come first.

This is partly the reason why out of the three , Salah at a very pretty price imo can be the first to be moved out provided he wants to
He tries to pass he's just horrendous at it.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
One of the problems, as you will discover as you grow older, is the ever increasing time it takes to recover from a bender. And given that there is no way that my old ticker could take the strain of watching the Pool without the obligatory pre, intra and post match snifters, you will appreciate that by the end of the game I am, as they say, "relaxed as a newt", incapable of standing up straight, much less of coherent thought or typing.

Hence my lateness to the party and my respect for each and every one of you who had the mental and physical fortitude to post immediately after the match.

Anyway, after stoking up the antique hookah*, I was slowly making my way through the thread, when I came across:

…I nearly choked on my kedgeree.

I recall, many years ago, overhearing a group of subalterns employing a similar expression in the mess at Jodhpur, so I enquired of the Mem as to its possible meaning; she blushed, averted her gaze, and muttering something along the lines that she couldn't bring to mind to what it might refer.

I just hope, for @indianscouser's sake, that "riding the elephant" isn't some sort of metaphor, euphemism, allegory, innuendo or heaven forefend, a double entendre. (Oooh Matron!)

With regards to the match, it was as I expected, a very hard game, made harder by our players' evident fatigue. One or two of the lads looked out on their feet and distinctly peaky, maybe suffering from a virus? Consequently there were too many wayward passes, and missed opportunities. Watching their goal it was clear that our back four were running on vapour, there was precious little left in the tank. Still, a win is a win and the senior players can put their feet up over the weekend.

And finally, in deference to the sensibilities of @ cynicaloldgit, regarding those who talk about that which shall not be spoken, we shall refrain from further mention. As I said to the Mem, the least said about that, of which we do not speak, by them, of whom we shall not talk, the better.

*not a reference to the Mem
What?

costared

TIA Reserve Team
What a great club we support. Currently 2nd in the Fair play chart , an honour we have won quite a few times in recent years. Committed fewer fouls than any other club at the top level in Europe and , just to prove those jealous Mancs wrong, we are only 29th in th league of big spenders over the last 5 years with a net spend of about 72 million. City are the biggest spenders with 686 million and United 2nd on 483 million. PSG, AC Milan and Barcelona are 3rd , 4th, and 5th.
Just goes to show money is not everything and you do not need to be dirty to win.