• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Young Boys 3-5 LFC

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
Nice to enjoy a game for once, that satisfied feeling not been around much of late. Thought Wisdom looked solid, Suso made some nice individual touches but needs time, in fact I echo most of the thoughts on here regarding players. One thing on Pacheo and it bugs me when I see players doing this, Carroll used to do it a fair bit last year. If you are standing 3 yards from a defender with the ball, why not put a tackle in, is their some tactical element to the game that for years have passed me by on the merits of not closing defenders down?

Overall though I am really happy. Hopefully will be feeling even better at the weekend.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Like I said, it really is nice when the team looks like they want to play. Yeah it was a bit scrappy, but regardless the desire and drive was there that has been devoid from the first team, most notably our captain.

Also, we're up to our eyeballs in solid right backs.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Very enjoyable game that. Conceding three goals is never ideal of course, but once again it was mostly down to individual errors. No alarming signs of structural problems, although I think we give up too much space between our lines now and then. Will improve with practice.

Anyway - five goals! Yes, five! Good fun! I'll take a 5-3 win over a 1-0 any day.

I thought our midfield was very good. Sahin controlled it and was generally excellent; Hendo worked his socks off and also used the ball well, and Shelvey was great when he came on. Really composed and mature, and two very good goals. Suso was relatively quiet in the first half, but I thought he was better when he moved out to the right. Good debut all in all.

Assaidi was lively in the first half; didn't hesitate to take on his full back, and showed some signs of a decent understanding with Enrique (who was fairly good going forward despite his shambolic defensive display).

The best of the debutants though: Andre Wisdom. Full control defensively, calm in possession and a sweet goal. Impressive.

So; three debutants, Sahin looks like settling in, three points and goals galore. Life is good.

nemeth29

TIA New Signing
First of all it was good to get a win. Good for the young lads to get a run out, gain some experience and get themselves noticed. I was very impressed with Wisdom and Suso, I've been watching the pair of them for a few years now at reserve level and they looked very capable tonight. Assaidi looked good, and I thought Henderson, Shelvey and Borini were excellent.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned with Jose Enrique's performances however, he looked a really impressive player for us at the beginning of last season and since then he has just gone backwards. I don't like to be critical but I thought his performance tonight was very poor. He made some careless mistakes on the ball, and off it he didn't seem any better :unsure:

gr_sounder

Quite honestly, I loved seeing Henderson out there and doing as well as he did in the role he should be playing... my problem is that I'm not sure he'll have that position to play with the regulars so I'm not sure how it will work out going forward.

I also am highly impressed with Jonjo Shelvey, who I think can be a great player for us. His impulsiveness and fight can be his best attributes on good days but his worst offenses on his bad days. That said, I think he's learning to temper those attributes in positive ways.

Oddly enough I think this "younger team" that went out there was a great thing for Jonjo and Henderson. Looking at this team, these guys were ones that could take over the game and lead by example... they didn't look around and see others they had to defer to and I think this allowed them to just play their game and try and be in control. They did exactly that and it might prove to be a huge mental advancement for them to grow upon.

Other than that, I was impressed with a lot of the youngsters. I'm frustrated that we gave up so many goals, particularly by senior players. I have no idea what has happened with Enrique... but he should be looking over his shoulder from the youthful left backs we have in the ranks. They honestly will not do worse. Same with Jamie... who while he has the desire, I just think his physical skills are letting him down. It's sad, and I hate to see him struggle so, but all players eventually lose the ability to perform at the level they think they can perform.

So all in all, I'm happy, but not thrilled with the final score, but I see some bright spots to the future.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Even though it took Borini and Shevley to turn things around, hopefully this selection team can get out of the group. Really just need to win the home games and that should do. Keep the first teamers away.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
I thought Carra done alright tonight unlike some posters.Good to have him in their when we are blooding a youngster like Wisdom at the back too because his experience and guidance on the pitch is invaluable. Really good communicator.

Bruce

TIA New Signing
Even though it took Borini and Shevley to turn things around, hopefully this selection team can get out of the group. Really just need to win the home games and that should do. Keep the first teamers away.
I think that, if we want to get out of this group, we might need some first teamers to make sure we win our home games against Udinese en Anzhi.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Like I said earlier, these games are always really dull lol

MOTM Henderson - heartbeat of the team tonight. Really pleased for him.

Lots of highlights from the youngsters, but Pacheco not amongst them. Borini demonstrated the gulf in class when he came on.

Sorry to say it, but Carragher has to hang up his boots :eek:(

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
Highlighted post. Nope, no white text.

Keen fisherman, dragon?
Not at all.

I watched Shelvey in his days at Charlton before we bought him, and thought he was a bit special even back then.

When we first bought him here he was ok, not great. We sent him out on loan to Blackpool, he did alright there. He's come back, full of confidence, and he's playing a blinder. He's done alright against Man City when he played, and Sunderland last weekend.

Then tonight he comes off the bench, and he's the difference maker. Playing just off the striker, two goals. Boom.

Shelvey will be an immense player for us in years to come, mark my words.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Delighted with the performance, Shelvy was a beast and Hendo / Sahin did a very solid job in mid-field also. Great to see Hendo in such good form, even if he is not quite there yet Stevie is bound to pick up a knock at some stage this season and Hendo will get his chance again. Also, games like this are at least a reminder to anyone of Hendo's financial value in case we do ultimately move him on.

Assaidi had a great first half, Wisdom very solid at right back and a great headed goal to boot. Suso played well too but tired a bit later on.

Enrique was all over the place, hopefully this was just a glitch, Carra went missing for 2 of the goals ... he tries but its just not there any more.

Lots of positives but for me Shelvey and Hendo were the brightest spots. Great confidence booster for Sunday.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Not at all.

I watched Shelvey in his days at Charlton before we bought him, and thought he was a bit special even back then.

When we first bought him here he was ok, not great. We sent him out on loan to Blackpool, he did alright there. He's come back, full of confidence, and he's playing a blinder. He's done alright against Man City when he played, and Sunderland last weekend.

Then tonight he comes off the bench, and he's the difference maker. Playing just off the striker, two goals. Boom.

Shelvey will be an immense player for us in years to come, mark my words.
Based on all of that you've proclaimed he's going to be better than our best ever player?

Come on...

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
A win is a win is a win......................

Jonjo did well, Borini did a good job of making himself a pain in the arse to the defence and so did Enrique and Carra!! BOOM BOOM!!..............ahem.

Everyone, apart from them two, were fine and we handled the pressure well. Rodgers made the changes and it made a difference so kudos to him. Henderson was man of the match.

Well done to the youngsters.

tatemunny

TIA Youth Team
“I do not think Liverpool can afford to turn up without their best players,” he said. “Especially since they did not shine in the early season, taking just two points from their first four games." Young Boys coach Martin Rueda.

Maybe this game will teach him to shut it next time

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
Based on all of that you've proclaimed he's going to be better than our best ever player?

Come on...
Yes.

Because Stevie G is not our best ever player. He's good. Was World class even, once upon a time.

But he's no Billy Liddell. He's no Kenny Dalglish or John Barnes. He's not even up there with Kevin Keegan or Ian Rush.

Now they're players you could look at as "best ever".

I like Stevie, don't get me wrong, but he has a few faults in his game, and he's never been a favourite. And yes, I do think given a few years Shelvey could well be right up there, and even surpass Gerrard.

Now, back to the game.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Enjoyed the game bar the keystone cops defending from Enrique and Carragher. Somebody earlier mentioned Enrique reminding him of Dossena and it was exactly what I was thinking during the game. He was poor the whole game, gave it away cheaply and caught out of position constantly. I think we will see more of Glen at left back this season assuming Kelly stays fit.
How come we havent had a decent left back since Riise?
Jamie Carragher will always be a hero of mine simply because he always gave it his all but its clear to see hes finished. The little pace he had is gone and he was exposed by very average opposition tonight, I hope he hangs up his boots this season and gets into coaching.
Henderson, Coates and Suso all played well and Wisdom hardly put a foot wrong, Pacheco made little inroads although playing upfront on his own was tough for him. Sahin showed some nice touches and has a nice range of passing but seems to lack a bit of match sharpness and fitness.....he will come good though I reckon.
Downing continues to look like a "Boro" player more and more with every passing game. Without doubt the biggest waste of money in the clubs history. Shelvey is fast becoming a favourite of mine. He has all the skills needed to become a top player, hes fast enough, tackles strongly when needed, gets forward, decent passer and has a goal in him. Certainly the best option we have to take over the mantle from Steve in our team.
Was watching the game on Irish TV and that Manc Lou Marcari took every oppertunity to put the boot into Brendan in particular. The usual stuff about not showing the competition respect by playing the kids and leaving the main men at home. Grade "A" tosser.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Enjoyed the game bar the keystone cops defending from Enrique and Carragher. Somebody earlier mentioned Enrique reminding him of Dossena and it was exactly what I was thinking during the game. He was poor the whole game, gave it away cheaply and caught out of position constantly. I think we will see more of Glen at left back this season assuming Kelly stays fit.
How come we havent had a decent left back since Riise?
Jamie Carragher will always be a hero of mine simply because he always gave it his all but its clear to see hes finished. The little pace he had is gone and he was exposed by very average opposition tonight, I hope he hangs up his boots this season and gets into coaching.
Henderson, Coates and Suso all played well and Wisdom hardly put a foot wrong, Pacheco made little inroads although playing upfront on his own was tough for him. Sahin showed some nice touches and has a nice range of passing but seems to lack a bit of match sharpness and fitness.....he will come good though I reckon.
Downing continues to look like a "Boro" player more and more with every passing game. Without doubt the biggest waste of money in the clubs history. Shelvey is fast becoming a favourite of mine. He has all the skills needed to become a top player, hes fast enough, tackles strongly when needed, gets forward, decent passer and has a goal in him. Certainly the best option we have to take over the mantle from Steve in our team.
Was watching the game on Irish TV and that Manc Lou Marcari took every oppertunity to put the boot into Brendan in particular. The usual stuff about not showing the competition respect by playing the kids and leaving the main men at home. Grade "A" tosser.
What does Lou Macari think of Fergies team selections in the FA Cup/Carling Cup early rounds?! Tosser! Feel sorry for you having to put up with a manc, lets hope we thrash them on Sunday!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Yes.

Because Stevie G is not our best ever player. He's good. Was World class even, once upon a time.

But he's no Billy Liddell. He's no Kenny Dalglish or John Barnes. He's not even up there with Kevin Keegan or Ian Rush.

Now they're players you could look at as "best ever".

I like Stevie, don't get me wrong, but he has a few faults in his game, and he's never been a favourite. And yes, I do think given a few years Shelvey could well be right up there, and even surpass Gerrard.

Now, back to the game.
Post this absolute nonsense and then end it with "now, back to the game" :lol:

I'm a big fan of Shelvey but posting he's going to be better than Gerrard instantly after a game where he scores 2 goals against a side sitting 5th(?) in the Swiss league is nothing short of ridiculous.

Not much point carrying on the discussion as I can't tell if you're trolling or being genuine.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
What does Lou Macari think of Fergies team selections in the FA Cup/Carling Cup early rounds?! Tosser! Feel sorry for you having to put up with a manc, lets hope we thrash them on Sunday!
Yeah the Irony of that is totally lost on him. They also had Brian Carr in the studio who was of the opinion that Young Boys were paying us too much respect because they were playing our "name" rather than the 11 players on the field. He also said that none of our young players impressed him in his half time analysis.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team

I'm a big fan of Shelvey but posting he's going to be better than Gerrard instantly after a game where he scores 2 goals against a side sitting 5th(?) in the Swiss league is nothing short of ridiculous.

Not much point carrying on the discussion as I can't tell if you're trolling or being genuine.
I think Shelvey is as good as Gerrard was at his age.
Plus he will be around Lucas , Allen , Sahin who will bring out the best in him.
Hes got potential to be better. Whether he will or not , time will tell

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Delighted with the performance, Shelvy was a beast and Hendo / Sahin did a very solid job in mid-field also. Great to see Hendo in such good form, even if he is not quite there yet Stevie is bound to pick up a knock at some stage this season and Hendo will get his chance again. Also, games like this are at least a reminder to anyone of Hendo's financial value in case we do ultimately move him on.

Assaidi had a great first half, Wisdom very solid at right back and a great headed goal to boot. Suso played well too but tired a bit later on.

Enrique was all over the place, hopefully this was just a glitch, Carra went missing for 2 of the goals ... he tries but its just not there any more.

Lots of positives but for me Shelvey and Hendo were the brightest spots. Great confidence booster for Sunday.
How much of a confidence booster do you think this really is when about 8 starters are going to change?

Anyways, not sure if a single Europa League match against a team called 'Young Boys' is a proper gauge to say that Henderson going to replace Gerrard if/when Gerrard gets injured. I think the man who scored two goals today is his natural replacement or of talking about his financial market value.

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid

First - I'm a senior mod around here remember. I don't do trolling. I ban trolls.

Second - I've been watching Shelvey a long time, and I've thought this about him for quite a while. Not just because of tonight's game.

gr_sounder

Pretty sure he's being genuine... and he backed it up with rationale.
At 20 years old, he's younger than when Gerrard started playing for the first team, and tonight was an example of what he can do when he gets his mind right.

Shelvey is a huge prospect as a young player. He has size, skill, good speed, tenacity, and if he can control his temper and his enthusiasm he could be a tremendous player for the next 12 years. What he showed tonight was the abilitiy to take over a game. I don't care if this was against a 5th placed Swiss team, they were professionals who wanted to win at home, and Shelvey was a man amongst "Young Boys" when he entered. It was as if he was the experienced pro who comes in to settle the score in an away match when you are playing mostly young players. And for him to do that at the age of 20... that's impressive.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
How much of a confidence booster do you think this really is when about 8 starters are going to change?

Anyways, not sure if a single Europa League match against a team called 'Young Boys' is a proper gauge to say that Henderson going to replace Gerrard if/when Gerrard gets injured. I think the man who scored two goals today is his natural replacement or of talking about his financial market value.
It will help the atmosphere, and simultaneously make some players feel like they need to deliver while reassuring the whole that depth is perhaps not as bad as it felt. Not a huge factor, but it certainly won't hurt. Shelvey in particular will take a lot from his performance.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Downing didn't do anything wrong, but the problem is that he didn't do anything right either. Crossing the ball into a box he can fucking well see is empty is abdicating responsibility - saying I've done my job, not my fault if someone else hasn't done theirs. It not the attitude I want to see in the team.

In a team in which he was one of the three most experienced players he stood have stood out. But he got outshone by teenagers. He hid when players younger than him stepped forward and bailed us out.

Terrible, terrible waste of money

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Pretty sure he's being genuine... and he backed it up with rationale.
At 20 years old, he's younger than when Gerrard started playing for the first team, and tonight was an example of what he can do when he gets his mind right.

Shelvey is a huge prospect as a young player. He has size, skill, good speed, tenacity, and if he can control his temper and his enthusiasm he could be a tremendous player for the next 12 years. What he showed tonight was the abilitiy to take over a game. I don't care if this was against a 5th placed Swiss team, they were professionals who wanted to win at home, and Shelvey was a man amongst "Young Boys" when he entered. It was as if he was the experienced pro who comes in to settle the score in an away match when you are playing mostly young players. And for him to do that at the age of 20... that's impressive.
I didn't say it wasn't impressive, it was.

Gerrard started playing for the first team when he was 18 years old, was one of the best players at around 21 onwards (in a side better than our current one) and was made captain at 23, taking over from Hyypia.

I'm not arguing that Shelvey has the potential to be a top class player, it's clear he does. However, statements such as "He's going to be better than Gerrard, trust me" is nothing short of ludicrous.

I'm not going to say any more on the matter as I'm clearly right (don't mean to sound like too much of a dickhead) so we'll just leave it at that.