Post-Season Friendly Sydney FC vs LFC

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Clive, May 23, 2017.

1. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

Against a wall?

Alright Now and Livvy like this.
  2. Zinedine Biscan

Not a great time, flying UK to Oz, it must be said, let alone coming straight back. At least we had several months in between when we did it...

3. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

He is a 45 year old speed/flair player....I'd have him on my over 35 league side in a heartbeat!

4. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Weak...as...pish.....

Google 'David boon long haul flight record'.

Fuck it, just google 'David boon'

LFCFFC, ptt, SBYM and 2 others like this.
  5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I felt like I broke it every time I flew to Australia..broken up into 3-4 sessions of course.

6. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

dude was barely moving..

7. Zinedine Biscan

Carra joked on Twitter afterwards that he was expecting to come off in the 23rd minute... no doubt a reference to certain events at Stamford Bridge on Sunday lol

8. Red Skip

Red Skip Red Skip

9. Red Skip

Red Skip Red Skip

lol

Livvy likes this.
  10. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

I hope that "taken unwell" isn't a euphemism, i.e. young Gomez discovered that drinking too much alcohol at high altitude can really screw one up.

Libero likes this.
  11. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Pretty poor opposition (poorer than I thought would be), but some good football from us in the first half. Nice stuff from (going from back to front) Trent, Woodburn, Firmino, Sturridge in particular, they were the slight stand outs for me. Woodburn especially showed good instinct/timing when to press and won some very clean challenges in midfield, was happy to see that with him as an #8. Firmino is a workhouse, always up for a game, very good attitude. Sturridge with his nice few "Messi style" dribbles slightly from the right. Good goal. Where was Grujic?

SBYM, Rooster and Hope in your heart like this.
  12. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

Well that was a great night. 73,000 confirms this Clubs stature in Oz.

Sydney were disappointing, no doubt a premiership hangover and this was LFC's easiest match over the 3 recent visits. Such a difference in class.

Firmino just wow. Great to see such style and touch in the flesh.
    Sturridge's footwork was a pleasure and he was really taking the piss.
    TAA and Woodburn looked lively and hopefully continue to progress into regular future first graders.
    Could Moreno maybe just maybe mature and remain?
    Agger still graceful when carrying the ball.
    Stevie still "belonged" and was desperate to score. Glad he played on reflection.
    Klopp Mr popular and wonderful ambassador.

Well done to make the long trek after a gruelling season.

Now I guess it's transfer talk for the next couple of months.....

13. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

All I wanna know is how the fuck do you drink two slabs, at altitude, within roughly a 24 hour period and then walk off a plane?

Alright Now likes this.
  14. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Anyone have a link to extended highlights of the match? Or a full recording? I was able to find the goals on youtube (link below) but nothing more substantial.

Libero, OllieRed, Scott Jones and 3 others like this.
  15. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Australian club has a long way to go.... playing at half speed and we took them down so easily.

Libero likes this.
  16. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Looking forward to watch this match in a relaxed manner. I thought our boys did very well scoring 3 great goals, after such a long and tiring journey barely 24 hours after playing the last tense EPL game. The fans were entertained well. Also, it was nice to see the youngsters get exposure around the world and understand what it is like to be part of a universally well loved football club.

I have to say, the stadium fans were absolutely fantastic and created such a great a wonderful and mesmerising atmosphere.

Alright Now likes this.
  17. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Just wondering, from the videos I have seen, how come Zelji Buvac was not at the match ?Klopp's other assistant Peter Kraweitz was at the Sydney FC match.

18. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Well-Known Member

Liverpool outclassed the p̶r̶i̶s̶o̶n̶ c̶o̶l̶o̶n̶y̶ a̶l̶l̶ s̶t̶a̶r̶s̶ I mean Sydney FC by quite a wide margin.

Sturridge was easily MoM. He played like a man possessed. Too bad he won't be wearing Liverpool colors for much longer.

How about selling Daniel and making a cheeky bid on Harry Kane? That would make for an entertaining summer!

Libero likes this.
  19. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

The very definition of a feeder league, and one pretty far down the food chain, at that.

That or a retirement home...although given the ridiculous money China has started to splash around I dunno how many older players worth anything will end up in the Land Down Under...

Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  20. redbj

Easily, you be David boon.

Libero and SBYM like this.
  21. redbj

Sydney was just toying with LFC.....wait till the second leg.....

22. belldiouf

belldiouf TIA New Signing

The introduction to the A-League and the birth of Sydney FC has definitely lowered my love for Liverpool, but they're still undoubtedly my overseas team and I have watched probably 80% of their games in the last 20 yrs. So this game was full of mixed emotions for me.

Firstly, credit to both teams for producing a watchable game. Liverpool stepped off the plane 11 hrs before hand, whilst Sydney has barely trained in the 3 weeks since they won the double. Both teams were missing key players, but Sydney's absentees were far more influential. Not to say they are better than Coutinho, Can etc (They're not!), but in a salary capped league, playing without your 5 key players is going to hurt them more. Especially when Liverpool can still field a world class starting 11 from their second string.

Sydney is undoubtedly the greatest Australian football team ever, losing 1 game all season thanks to a horrendous referring decision. They would have given Liverpool much more trouble with their big players like Ninkovic, Holosko, Bujis, Ibini etc, but its already off season and they have left for Europe to spend times with their families.

Despite that, there is still a huge gulf in class between a champions league bound side and an A-League side. No surprises there. The A-League has come a long way. I'd put this Sydney side on bar with top half Championship sides, but there is still a long way to go.

I think many overseas Reds fan incorrectly think this game was hugely important to Sydney's players. wanting to prove it against the big boys etc. In reality, they saw it as a fun night out like everybody else there. Their big games ended 3 weeks ago.

SBYM likes this.
  23. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Sounds like a rhetorical question

SBYM and Scott Jones like this.
  24. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Just google Keg on legs!

25. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Good post except this is a huge over reach. Only five years ago Roar were unbeaten in 36, won multiple championships and played better football. I'd hesitate to say "greatest ever" though given the NSL and other clubs' historical achievements.

SBYM likes this.
  26. LFCFFC

LFCFFC Active Member

Rod Marsh set the original record at 44 cans on an early tour. Apparently at a stopover somewhere in the Middle East every time he accidentally walked into one of the locals he'd mumble "sorry Lawrence!".

27. redbj

ahhh the ol' colonial humor eh....

28. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

29. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

Great to watch the lads go round. I'll tell you what though, the legends all played their part, and in particular, Gerrard and Agger, both looked as pumped and graceful as they did on their last game. Agger, really went well.
    Though some of the young lads, looked out of their depth, but of course TAA and Woodburn, stood right up, Wilson was a lonely figure, but then again, Sturridge and Firmino, always had the ball.
    They romped in the first half, and strolled through the second, good game to watch, possession wise, it just needed LFC to score a few more, but being a friendly, I can understand, why they didn't.
    Good to see 73,000, there, and a pretty good atmosphere, including a good version of YNWA, apparently though, the ABC coverage was a joke, and has been described by several of our politicians, as disrespectful. Good their getting up the arse of the ABC.
    All in all, a great night.

Rooster and Clive like this.
  30. belldiouf

belldiouf TIA New Signing

That Roar side was a great side, but that 36 was done over 2 seasons. This Sydney side broke records all year, most amount of goals scored in a season, least conceded, most points in a season, just to name a few. I don't really think you can play football any more perfectly than that, let alone play better. However, you are quiet right about multiple championships. The test will be on to see if they can go back to back like that Brisbane side.

SBYM and Clive like this.