• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match: AFC Bournemouth v. Liverpool (25 January 12:45)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhYaBeauty

Well we've got the FA cup as a bit of a breather before the derby. This is a perfect chance to blood some youngsters and rest some old heads. Additionally, we ought to give certain players chances to be the main man against lesser opposition. I'd like to see Smith, Alberto, and Aspas given a chance, and perhaps Brad Jones as well. I'm sure [given how impressive our young fullbacks (Robinson, Wisdom, and McLaughlin) have done against Championship opposition] that Smith will do just fine against Bournemouth. I couldn't think of a realistic way to fit Coutinho and Alberto into the same team so Allen comes back from injury and Alberto gets the nod.

Mignolet
Kelly Toure Skrtel Smith
Alberto Henderson Allen
Aspas Suarez Sterling​

Additionally, if Flanagan, Sakho, or Enrique are nearing a return from injury I'd give them a late sub on. I'd also look at subbing on Coutinho, Rossiter, and Ngoo.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Enrique won't be back for ages. He's knacked

Flanagan is nearly back so maybe we could play cissokho and hope he has a Degen against Leeds (his only half decent performance) day. Surely he could at least look like a useable warm body against this level of opponent? Same with Moses also. Experience at least though Moses hasn't played (not suprisingly) since the Oldham game where he was absolute turd. Expect better if he features this time

Alberto maybe deserves a run out, Aspas also had a decent ish second half and scored a nice goal in the lst round. Keep Sturridge and Suarez on the bench just in chase but hopefully we shouldn't need them

Think we might play it as against Oldham with mostly first team experienced players with the odd youngster. Maybe a chance for Sakho to gain some fitness, really hope we don't play Skrtel and Toure against Lukaku in the derby, be pure bum sex with our fullbacks playing as they are at the moment. But against Bournemouth that should suffice adequately enough

Might be untidy but think we should win. Be nice for Aspas to score a goal or two and not have to get established senior players to bail us out but away from home that may be more of an issue than at Anfield

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Will be a difficult game. I hope BR learnt the lessons from last year's disaster and starts a competitive enough team to pass that stage. No messing around here please...

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Couldn't care less. The derby is much more important. Rest everyone.

Jones, Kelly, Skrtel, Toure, Smith, Allen, Alberto, Henderson, Ibe, Aspas, Moses.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Additionally, if Flanagan, Sakho, or Enrique are nearing a return from injury I'd give them a late sub on. I'd also look at subbing on Coutinho, Rossiter, and Ngoo.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to know what to do_Obviously we want to progress but we do not want any more injuries before the Everton game.
Not convinced Ngoo should play ahead of Moses although I see he did score for the U21's against Arsenal.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I would rest everyone we need for the derby. Let the chips fall where they may. Don't want Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling anywhere near this. We can't afford to risk any if those lads. The Everton game is massive.

OhYaBeauty

Matt said:
Couldn't care less. The derby is much more important. Rest everyone.

Jones, Kelly, Skrtel, Toure, Smith, Allen, Alberto, Henderson, Ibe, Aspas, Moses.
I believe Ibe is out injured which is why I didn't include him. And Suarez doesn't like being rested. He'll want to play.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
OhYaBeauty said:
I believe Ibe is out injured which is why I didn't include him. And Suarez doesn't like being rested. He'll want to play.
I think he's actually on loan.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Win this one and we're already into the last 16 ...with almost a free pass. Cup games are never easy, but this one looks almost a gimme, if approached right

I certainly would turn my nose up at any Wembley appearance and also ManU (thank you very much Swansea! btw), Spurs and Newcastle are already out last round. Arsenal, City, Everton and Chelsea (possibly with the hardest fixture of these 4 aka Stoke, with agent Assaidi ;-) on-board) should also all comfortably progress this round ...but that still leaves a 11/4 chance that we'd get (yet) another easy(ish) draw next round. Not that Soton would be easy at all home or away, but the rest mostly would be. Then (and if so) it's conceivably already the Quarters with little obstacles provided.

Admittedly, I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit here ...but we're currently just 5 games away from winning a trophy and the first hurdle certainly looks very doable. It'll be somewhat of a tricky juggling act for BR, with a depleted (and still smallish) squad plus with the huge Derby coming up on Tuesday night ...but I'd really hope that we put out a decent and competitive team on the day. At least, this time around, our match will be live on ITV ... so no (audio) streams needed ;-)

I'd hope for:
Jones​
Kelly Toure Skrtel Cissokho​
Hendo​
Coutinho Alberto​
Ibe Aspas Moses​
I'd like to see Flanno get a few minutes and Sakho (if his hamstring set-back has cleared up) too. Plus Allen to get a few minutes (or maybe even play instead of Hendo). Just that for all 3 it could be the perfect preparation in the build-up to facing Everton. They'll all need a few competitive minutes and/or maybe even a whole game to get their sharpness back. Keep a few big guns on the bench too ...as I'd really hope that we'll win this one first time around.

I'd fully expect Jordan Ibe to play (instead of Sterling) as he's now recovered from his ankle knock plus Aspas will surely play too ...as should Moses (ahem ...here I don't actually mean that he should be playing for us ...just that he should play this one game). Coutinho probably needs a confidence booster as well and Luis Alberto needs the odd game as well ...so I'd be very surprised if all 5 don't start in Saturday's early kick-off.

Win this one ...and we're just 3 games away from Wembley! I just love these games, as it's a real chance to watch our more fringe players on the pitch, performing in a less-pressured atmosphere. Everyone gets a chance to impress BR on the day and we get to see LFC performing away from the pressure-cooker (aka must perform) atmosphere of the EPL. I really do want to see if (say) Ibe possesses the potential to kick-on, or maybe for Coutinho to turn-the-corner (qua confidence) with a defining display. These games can be very useful ...and in so many ways.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
RichLFC said:
Think we might play it as against Oldham with mostly first team experienced players with the odd youngster. Maybe a chance for Sakho to gain some fitness, really hope we don't play Skrtel and Toure against Lukaku in the derby, be pure bum sex with our fullbacks playing as they are at the moment.
that's exactly what I wanted to read with my morning coffee and Oreo cookie.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
cardiffpete said:
I'd hope for:

Jones​
Kelly Toure Skrtel Cissokho​
Hendo​
Coutinho Alberto​
Ibe Aspas Moses​
Jordan Ibe is at Brentford on loan.

Bobbinho

@Semmy -

lol This is my absolute favourite richlfc quote so far - "Is that middle ground between Commoli style economics and being confused between taking a shit and a shave and getting stuck on the pot without taking a Thora Hird which might be elusive as well."

Nearly spat my tea out reading that! Fucking quality. lol

Legend.

As for this game, i think for sure we should rest as many as our first team as we can, bar Glen who has been resting enough & should be fine.

Redragbull

Hoping Alberto gets a full 90 minutes this time and that he has some quality ahead of him so that his technical ability can shine. Can't say I'd be too disappointed if Moses was on bench.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Mascot88 said:
Jordan Ibe is at Brentford on loan.
Where did you read that? I don't believe that myself at all ...as-in why would BR do such a thing. iLori yes, Ibe no way!

Link please, if true.

Ataturk

★★★★★
Similar to the Oldham match, we need to rest a few but too many is always dangerous. The Everton match is massive so we need to be sensible. Gerrard and Johnson should be rested, and probably both Sturridge and Suarez. Definitely at least one should be rested.

I would play whatever centre back partnership will play on the Tuesday, we need some consistency there, and Coutinho should start, he needs games to get his form back.

Oh, and Mignolet should obviously start. Again, more important things to worry about than keeping Brad Jones' spirits up.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
cardiffpete said:
Where did you read that? I don't believe that myself at all ...as-in why would BR do such a thing. iLori yes, Ibe no way!

Link please, if true.
In the Jordan Ibe thread.

bes

Ibe hasnt gone anywhere yet.

Mignolet
Kelly Skrtel Toure Cissohko
Allen Gerrard Alberto
Aspas Sturridge Coutinho

The substitutions Id use -

Ibe for Coutinho
Flanno for Cissohko
Hendo for Gerrard.

All around 65-80 minute marks

I dont expect Coutinho to play in the derby so throw him in another game. Sturridge needs match fitness. Aspas needs game time. Gerrard could be swapped for Hendo but I think Hendo needs a break the most. Allen needs time/lack of options.

out of my XI, I only expect Mignolet/Skrtel/Allen/Gerrard/Sturridge to be in the Everton match. Flanno/GJ will be our Fbs/Sakho+Skrtel. midfield of Hendo/Gerrard/Allen. with an attack of SSS.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
brightonpete said:
Ibe was on the bench for the stoke game,so unless something has happend since then? start him.
Aye, official site aren't reporting anything so looks like the Ibe thread was a bit premature.

If he is still around he plays against Bournemouth.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines

If Sakho is fit get him in the side for Toure/preferably Cissokho.

if needs be a bastardised 3412 with Allen/Alberto/Moses playing a role somewhere between midfield back up and wing back/cover - a real chance to take however with only 3 at the back

[/url]

naturalskill

jimmydestiny said:

If Sakho is fit get him in the side for Toure/preferably Cissokho.

if needs be a bastardised 3412 with Allen/Alberto/Moses playing a role somewhere between midfield back up and wing back/cover - a real chance to take however with only 3 at the back

[/url]
Lucas is out injured

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Much the same as the Oldham match though I would like to see Mignolet start the guy needs confidence.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
JoebloggsLFC said:
@Semmy -

lol This is my absolute favourite richlfc quote so far - "Is that middle ground between Commoli style economics and being confused between taking a shit and a shave and getting stuck on the pot without taking a Thora Hird which might be elusive as well."

Nearly spat my tea out reading that! Fucking quality. lol

Legend.

As for this game, i think for sure we should rest as many as our first team as we can, bar Glen who has been resting enough & should be fine.
At times you have to just cut through the hipster terminology and chuck the cards hard on the table and just say it how it is ;)

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
My lineup would mix it up with the goals of 1. keeping enough goal threat and defensive stablity to win the game, and 2. maximize player fitness and sharpness for the 6 pointer derby, that will be our most important game of the season to date.

GK- Jones
Fullbacks- Kelly at RB, Johnson at LB
CB- Toure, Sakho if fit (Skrtel if not)
Mids- Allen, Alberto, Gerrard
Forwards- Sturridge, Aspas, Ibe

Johnson needs a kick in the arse, and last year moving him to LB for a few games seemed to bring the best out of him, maybe it will work again.

Kelly needs fitness, and an opportunity to show whether he still has a future in Liverpool.

Sakho, if fit, needs some game time before the derby.

Hendo needs a rest for once.

Alberto deserves a run in the cup to see what he can offer.

Coutinho, on recent form, has been pants and should be sat.

Sterling should be rested for the derby and deputized by Ibe in this one.

Sturridge to lead the line and score goals to keep us in the competition, and needs a bit more sharpness going into the derby.

Aspas, like Alberto, should be playing cup games to see what he can offer.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
Rest players?....yeah right. That's what all the big teams do don't they?

I just watched Man City field a first team squad against West Ham. Negredo, Aguero et al. They were coming into this with a 6-0 lead from the first game at the Ethiad. (And they won again 3-0)

Just saying that it's winning games that keeps up players energy levels not "resting". Any win is an adrenalin rush and makes the squad hungry for more. All this crap about not playing Sterling(18??), Sturridge (who's needs match fitness) and Suarez (he would knife fight you if you tried to stop him playing) is nonsense.

As long as BR picks a strong team and remembers to play them in the right positions I will be happy. Win, move on with confidence - then bring on the Toffee's!

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
theres always tommorrow said:

I just watched Man City field a first team squad against West Ham. Negredo, Aguero et al. They were coming into this with a 6-0 lead from the first game at the Ethiad. (And they won again 3-0)
To be fair...Man City can afford injuries as they have trusted backup, sadly we do not. The only real first teamers were Negredo/Aguero & Fernandinho...the rest were backups.

We need to rest at least one of our midfielders for half a match. If Henderson gets injured we are royally fucked (imagine saying that 2 years ago!)

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
theres always tommorrow said:

Just saying that it's winning games that keeps up players energy levels not "resting". Any win is an adrenalin rush and makes the squad hungry for more. All this crap about not playing Sterling(18??), Sturridge (who's needs match fitness) and Suarez (he would knife fight you if you tried to stop him playing) is nonsense.

As long as BR picks a strong team and remembers to play them in the right positions I will be happy. Win, move on with confidence - then bring on the Toffee's!
The most sensible post I've read in a very long time.

Binomial

Visionary Tactician
2nd string 11 please, if we go out then we go out

jones kelly toure sama smith alberto rossiter texeira peterson moses aspas

OhYaBeauty

Binomial said:
2nd string 11 please, if we go out then we go out

jones kelly toure sama smith alberto rossiter texeira peterson moses aspas
So much no. That team would get absolutely battered. Sama is not now and might never be Championship quality. He makes so many mistakes. Add to that a midfield of Teixeira, Rossiter and Alberto would give us no control and your forwards don't exactly fill me with confidence in terms of creating something out of nothing versus Championship opposition and you have a recipe for an embarrassingly unbalanced giant-killing.

Play one or two young players (like Smith, Alberto, or Ibe) who are ready for it and one or two players returning from injury (like Sakho, Kelly, Allen, or Flanno) but fill it in with first reamers who dont need rests (Suarez, Henderson, Toure, Skrtel).

Status
Not open for further replies.