Pre match: Arsenal vs Liverpool (EPL Sat. 03/11/2018 5:30pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Someone had to.
Friday before a massive game and we are not discussing this?

Anyway, Arsenal are in a vein of form, albeit without meeting any top six sides in their recent run. Their defence appears weakened by injuries, causing them to play Xhaka at left back last week. Unai Emery has restored belief and confidence in the team, and in his most recent clash with Klopp led his Seville side to victory in the Europa League final.

Liverpool are only four points ahead of the Gunners despite Arsenals perceived poor start. So this is a test. For me it's TAA VDV Gomez and Robertson in the back 4.
Gini and Fabinho in the deeper roles with Shaqiri, Salah and Mane just behind Firmino. The same 4-2-3-1 as last week, except Shaqiri replaces Lallana in the starting 11. The front 4 is obviously fluid as Firmino will drop behind the 3 to win back possession. This is a real test, more than the proverbial banana skin.
Some Gunners supporters and some pundits think Arsenal are playing a bit above their actual level and that this current run is really not indicative of their proper position. I am not so sure. I think they have the players and obviously the new manager will have a honeymoon period that they will respond to.
But they are not City or indeed Chelsea, and a proper meticulous approach should pay dividends. This needs heavy metal football and a bit of early high intensity. I predict goals, and 3 points in what could be nervy circumstances.

Kopstar

★★★★★
What sort of a title is that? Pah. No wonder they don't let amateurs open up threads :J

Competition, date and time of kick-off (gmt)...?

Pedantry aside I'm really excited for this game but poignant one for me for personal reasons. Last season was a classic mostly due to a 5 minute period of madness from us. We annihilated them in all respects except where it matters and ultimately there was some relief that we salvaged a draw after giving up a two goal lead.

Different prospect this time around and arguably they come into the fixture in better form although they have not won a game against anyone of note. They do look much improved under Emery though so this will represent a serious challenge. Hopefully we'll have too much for them and the greater rest we've add will give us a further advantage.

I fancy us, 3-1.

RodM

I think I'd go with that: Alisson - Robertson, VVD, Gomez, Trent - Fabinho, Gini - Mané, Shaqiri, Salah - Firmino ?

This is going to be a tough one but I think we could edge it as I have a lot of confidence in our defence (hope I haven't spoken too soon). Realistically, it is a very hard one to call because all bets are off compared with Arsenal games from the last 20 years. We know they have good players and we know they are in form but it takes time for a new manager to have a full impact.

I rather like the kick off time. Our local team is playing beforehand (Stenhousemuir) so I may go along to that as long as the weather isn't too bad. Then it's telly, beer, phone for a takeaway and a film with the kids afterwards. Should be a good Saturday night.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Rookie jitters. Clearly not ready for the Premier League. We are going to have to loan you to a Derby forum for the rest of the season to get some experience.
Not going near Fat Frank mate!

No one want to talk about the match!!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Not sure where I am watching this from as yet. Could be the couch, could be the pub. We shall see.

Kind of expect 3 points, which is weird as I don't normally have that expectation going to the Emirates. Also, they've been on a great run after their false start. These are the games that we need to win if we are serious contenders.

Wouldn't take a draw if offered one, but it'll be a test.

Firmino, Salah and Mane to score a hat trick each sandwiched between a brace from Robbo.

FilthyBloke

I think this will be difficult.
We are still not 100% clicking, our forwards are still misfiring together a lot of the time. Our fluidity is not quite there.
A lot will depend on the midfield we pick. If we go for it, we will create and can win. If we start a bit reserved then arsenal have the players to win.
They are a confidence fed team. If they score early they could play like Barcelona. If they concede early they could crumble like a spurs.

They seem to be a second half team at the minute as well. Should be an intriguing game.
I’m gonna be negative and predict a 3-2 arsenal win.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
With that team news and our 18+ remaining the same, it's probably only between Milner and Shaqiri who starts (I also expect Gomez at RB and Lovren at CB). That's also tied to the issue if Klopp is ready to start Fabinho as a single pivot. If we go with the two, then it depends who plays behind the striker, as we can rotate the Shaqiri, Firmino and Salah trio. I'm guessing it could be Bobby (to disrupt and help our midfield) behind Salah up top (could enjoy against their CB's) if we go with a two man midfield. If we go with the two, I think Millie sits out. But we might leave Shaqiri on the bench, opt to go with Fabinho as single pivot and Milner and Gini as the two 8's. Arsenal have problems in full back areas, if Xhaka is indeed asked to cover at LB again, I want Mo to rape that space between Xhaka and Holding, be it more as a clear striker in a midfield two, or coming slightly from the right, I want him in that half space.

So either:
Alisson
Gomez Lovren vDijk Robertson
Milner Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Trent, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi, Sturridge.​

Or:
Alisson
Fabinho Wijnaldum
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
Salah

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Trent, Milner, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge.

*Klopp will also probably squeeze Moreno on the bench instead of Origi/Solanke.

FilthyBloke

With that team news and our 18+ remaining the same, it's probably only between Milner and Shaqiri who starts (I also expect Gomez at RB and Lovren at CB). That's also tied to the issue if Klopp is ready to start Fabinho as a single pivot. If we go with the two, then it depends who plays behind the striker, as we can rotate the Shaqiri, Firmino and Salah trio. I'm guessing it could be Bobby (to disrupt and help our midfield) behind Salah up top (could enjoy against their CB's) if we go with a two man midfield. If we go with the two, I think Millie sits out. But we might leave Shaqiri on the bench, opt to go with Fabinho as single pivot and Milner and Gini as the two 8's. Arsenal have problems in full back areas, if Xhaka is indeed asked to cover at LB again, I want Mo to rape that space between Xhaka and Holding, be it more as a clear striker in a midfield two, or coming slightly from the right, I want him in that half space.

So either:
Alisson
Milner Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Trent, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi, Sturridge.​

Or:
Alisson
Fabinho Wijnaldum
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
Salah

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Trent, Milner, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge.

*Klopp will also probably squeeze Moreno on the bench instead of Origi/Solanke.
I hope Gomez doesn’t start right back. They have a makeshift midfielder as their left back so we should target that. TAA and Mane will Create in that side a lot more than gomez.
We should go for their weakest link. They are not ma city or Chelsea.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I hope Gomez doesn’t start right back. They have a makeshift midfielder as their left back so we should target that. TAA and Mane will Create in that side a lot more than gomez.
We should go for their weakest link. They are not ma city or Chelsea.
I agree. Gomez is better suited than Lovren to deal with their front line too given his pace.

I hope we throw caution to the wind here instead of being too 'sensible' with our selection and approach to the game. They're there for the taking if we attack them with purpose.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I fully expect Milner to start this game. Lallana will take a place on the bench for this one.

It's important not to let Arsenal get in the flow of their game. They haven't met anyone yet who are anywhere our level, so Klopp will probably tell his lads to press the **** out of the opposition and to properly test their defence. Milner is absolutely key to this way of playing, I'd even say that he'll be one of our key players tomorrow.

Otherwise, there shouldn't be much change. Our usual front three, a midfield composed of captain Milner, Gini and Fabinho.

The only remaining talking point could be the defence as others have said. Does Gomez play on the right again, with Lovren paired with VVD, or will TAA been chosen in order to put more pressure on a maybe not so solid left Arsenal flank? My choice would be TAA on the right and Gomez paired with VVD. We'll see which choice Klopp will go for.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Battle of who blink first. Arsenal attack, ball controls and passing are far better than ours this season, they clicked earlier than ours and their passes are very crisp. We need to be wary of not losing the ball too easily and get caught by their counter attack leading by either Ramsay or Ozil. If we stop the supply to those front two of theirs, they will struggle. I don't know who is going to start for them, who is still injured in their defence. But we need our frontmen to be up for this.

Not an easy one this... they've been on a very hot streak lately. Over confidence will definitely cost us!

LeoT

Not an easy match, I see it as a "must not loose" game as opposed to a "must win".
I wouldn't trust Fabinho as the only deep mid-fielder against a passing, moving team like Arsenal, so we would need to do something like this...

Alisson
Trent - Gomez - VvD - Robertson
Fabinho -------- Gini
Shaqiri
Salah - Firmino - Mane​

That starting lineups above should have too much in terms of work-rate, flair, defensive grit and experience for Arsenal.
However if Klopp is feeling adventurous then I could see him doing something like this...

Alisson
Trent - Gomez - VvD - Robertson
Gini
Shaqiri -------- Milner
Salah - Firmino - Mane​

I think the game will end Arsenal 2:3 Liverpool, with Salah, Firmino & Gomez scoring for Liverpool.
And as usual Salah will miss a sitter early in the game.

Show me the Mane

The beauty of not playing in the mickey mouse cup is the extra rest and whole week to prepare for this one. Robertson didn't play last weekend against Cardiff so I expect him to be road runner tomorrow, a couple of assists will do. Arsenal have done better than I expect so early on with the new manager. The City defeat was expected and they created chances to beat Chelsea, other than that though they have had a nice enough set of fixtures and the winning run possibly not as good at a second glance. The defence looks shaky still and teams have had chances against them. Zaha caused them problems all by himself last weekend and I think our front 3 could run riot if Arsenal don't play it tactically. I'd be disappointed if we don't win but Arsenal have a decent front line and our defence will have to be ready.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Arsenals fowards are looking pretty legit this season, and we need to be wary of this and not commit too many men forward without having a backup plan - Hendo and Milner sitting slighty deep behind the ball to offer some protection to the back 4. On the other hand though, their back 4 is still looking a little bit gooner-ish and are probably as soft and flaky as a french pastry, so if we go at them hard and fast in the early stages, we may just be able to blow them out of the water and kill the game off before halftime.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
As long as City keep winning (which is almost a given for them Sunday) then every game is a must win. I happen to think that we will prove too strong for the Arse on Saturday. Their injuries are really piling up and also where they can afford it least on the park , in defence. The times I've seen them play this year I haven't been that impressed and for all their plaudits I don't rate any of their 'star' names. Ozil and Aubameyang blow hot and cold and Lacazette needs half a dozen chances to put one away. Against our defence I don't fancy their chances. I hope Joe stays at CB and would start with Shaq. Come on Reds , three points and back on top please. (At least for 24 hours.)

Someone had to.
Friday before a massive game and we are not discussing this?

Anyway, Arsenal are in a vein of form, albeit without meeting any top six sides in their recent run. Their defence appears weakened by injuries, causing them to play Xhaka at left back last week. Unai Emery has restored belief and confidence in the team, and in his most recent clash with Klopp led his Seville side to victory in the Europa League final.

Liverpool are only four points ahead of the Gunners despite Arsenals perceived poor start. So this is a test. For me it's TAA VDV Gomez and Robertson in the back 4.
Gini and Fabinho in the deeper roles with Shaqiri, Salah and Mane just behind Firmino. The same 4-2-3-1 as last week, except Shaqiri replaces Lallana in the starting 11. The front 4 is obviously fluid as Firmino will drop behind the 3 to win back possession. This is a real test, more than the proverbial banana skin.
Some Gunners supporters and some pundits think Arsenal are playing a bit above their actual level and that this current run is really not indicative of their proper position. I am not so sure. I think they have the players and obviously the new manager will have a honeymoon period that they will respond to.
But they are not City or indeed Chelsea, and a proper meticulous approach should pay dividends. This needs heavy metal football and a bit of early high intensity. I predict goals, and 3 points in what could be nervy circumstances.
Hi Guys...Never been here before and couldn't find anywhere else to post that might be more appropriate but I just want to say go out and get the title this season and start at Arsenal with three points. I have been to the King Power, Leicester today as a Fox, my team, and I want to thank all the Liverpool supporters for their support...numerous scarves and shirts with lovely messages. It means a lot and I know you guys have been through so much pain in the past and it never goes away. We are touched by the gestures of good will during this very difficult week. Always followed Liverpool in the real glory days despite Leicester being my team. Bring it back from Manchester! You deserve some good times again. Good luck and thanks. Richard

Last edited:

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
Hi Guys...Never been here before and couldn't find anywhere else to post that might be more appropriate but I just want to say go out and get the title this season and start at Arsenal with three points. I have been to the King Power, Leicester today as a Fox, my team, and I want to thank all the Liverpool supporters for their support...numerous scarves and shirts with lovely messages. It means a lot and I know you guys have been through so much pain in the past and it never goes away. We are touched by the gestures of good will during this very difficult week. Always followed Liverpool in the real glory days despite Leicester being my team. Bring in back from Manchester! You deserve some good times again. Good luck and thanks. Richard
Keep ya chin up mate.

Shit times always pass.

YNWA

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Hi Guys...Never been here before and couldn't find anywhere else to post that might be more appropriate but I just want to say go out and get the title this season and start at Arsenal with three points. I have been to the King Power, Leicester today as a Fox, my team, and I want to thank all the Liverpool supporters for their support...numerous scarves and shirts with lovely messages. It means a lot and I know you guys have been through so much pain in the past and it never goes away. We are touched by the gestures of good will during this very difficult week. Always followed Liverpool in the real glory days despite Leicester being my team. Bring it back from Manchester! You deserve some good times again. Good luck and thanks. Richard
We can all put club affiliation behind us and remember we’re all football fans first and foremost after weeks like this. You’ll never walk alone mate.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
I think we’re not 100% clicking yet, but the last 2 games have shown some real progress, and this might be, after two solid wins and a week of rest, time for it to fall into place against a side that will want to play football, but is ravaged by injury across the defensive line.

I think we go with the same lineup and formation as last weekend, excepting Shaq in for Lallana from the start. If it’s not Shaq, then Milner, but I’d really like to see our Power Cube going at their back line from the beginning, rather than just for 30 min in the 2nd half.

Milner and Lallana on the bench for midfield subs, and our other super sub Sturridge lying in wait if we need a late goal.

Their front line is going to be a challenge, but I think our defense is so much improved compared to recent years past, that I can’t see us conceding more than 1 unless it’s by penalty or freak play.

Going for a win by 3-0 or 3-1.

Redopium

We are far stronger at the back than they are and more prolific up front so we should win, I think the main thing for Klopp is who plays a right back Trent or Joe, the midfield will be Fabinho, Gini and Milner and the usual 3 up front, those hoping for shaqiri as well as the front 3 will be disapointed IMO.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Klopp's presser was this morning. Keita and Henderson out til at at least the Fulham game. Salah has an inflamed tendon in his arm but is expected to be OK. So the only choices really are Gomez in for either Lovren or TAA and either Milner or Shaqiri in for Lallana. I'm guessing it'll be Gomez at RB. I'm not sure JK fully trusts TAA against the better teams after he went walkabout against Chelsea. Personally I think we'll need Gomez's greater mobility in the middle but we'll see. Almost certainly Milner rather than Shaqiri. This will be an opportunity to press quite high up and win the ball in advanced positions.

Had Spurs done us a favour and got something against City then a draw here would be an acceptable result. Now it's another must win game. Arsenal are in good form and Emery is a clever manager. Out thought JK in the Europa League final and when JK was questioned about that this morning it was clear that it was still a sore point, 'It happens. That's football'. Klopp's a better manager now and this is a much better team than lost to Seville but we still have our work cut out tomorrow. Need to win here and keep the pressure on.

Status
Not open for further replies.