• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match: Aston Villa vs Liverpool (ELC Q/F 17/12/2019 19:45)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It’s odd seeing our first team fly away thus missing a cup quarter final.
I think some of the older kids are staying to face villa and then joining the squad in Qatar afterwards.

Like you I have no idea who will start.
But I’m guessing it’ll be our youngest ever line up for a first team and also most debuts in one game records to be broken.

So I’m not expecting to go through. Should be an interesting game.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Not expecting to go through, but hoping we can fully get behind whichever team we put out, look at it as a great experience and opportunity for the youngsters. Avoid pointless criticisms if they make mistakes etc. Just make the best of the unfortunate situation.

This is still a competitive Liverpool game, the players are still our players, they will be trying their best to represent the club, and for the 90 minutes we should get behind them, hope for the best and see if they can't defy expectations.

Flobs

FADA
Who's managing this team?
What we know, no senior GKs, no senior CBs (we only have 2 fit), no senior fullbacks (but there is Clyne), could have a senior midfielder (my guess is Lallana), i can not see any senior forward staying 'home'. This is going to be difficult yet interesting great opportunity for the youngsters who I hope will be just incouraged to give their best, stay concentrated and calm and ENJOY IT! (y)

iftikhar

What we know, no senior GKs, no senior CBs (we only have 2 fit), no senior fullbacks (but there is Clyne), could have a senior midfielder (my guess is Lallana), i can not see any senior forward staying 'home'. This is going to be difficult yet interesting great opportunity for the youngsters who I hope will be just encouraged to give their best, stay concentrated and calm and ENJOY IT! (y)
Clyn is injured. Lallana is off to Qatar.

I wonder what sort of team will take field.

Shouldn't we have a thread on CWC too.

Flobs

FADA
Clyn is injured. Lallana is off to Qatar.

I wonder what sort of team will take field.

Shouldn't we have a thread on CWC too.
So not even a senior midfielder staying home, that's tough on the kids.
Surely a young team will take the field, making history in the process perhaps?
Surely do need a CWC thread but don't wait for me to start it (I'm not even sure what it is and what I feel about it yet, I will surely be watching the domestic game and will see for the others).

jaffod

Villa have a real relegation 6-pointer on Saturday against Southampton and I'm hoping that and the fact they know in advance we'll be fielding a team of kids will influence their team selection and they'll go with a somewhat weakened side themselves but one they know will get the job done.
I'm not just being pessimistic but having seen the Arsenal game in the last round it's clear some of our lads just aren't ready yet for first team football. If Villa decide to play a strong side we could get absolutely battered and I'm talking 6 or 7.
Hopefully the lads will aquit themselves well and keep errors down to a minimum. Wont be pretty but it is what it is.

MarcusBerglund

What we know, no senior GKs, no senior CBs (we only have 2 fit), no senior fullbacks (but there is Clyne), could have a senior midfielder (my guess is Lallana), i can not see any senior forward staying 'home'. This is going to be difficult yet interesting great opportunity for the youngsters who I hope will be just incouraged to give their best, stay concentrated and calm and ENJOY IT! (y)
Neil Critchley will manage the team.

There is a senior GK - Kelleher /probably after that match he will depart on loan, PNE interested/. Clyne has a serious injury, expect him to start training at the end of January the earliest. Lallana is on the plane to Qatar. Neco Williams and Jones are also there.

My guess for a starting eleven is:

Kelleher; Ki - van den Berg - Larouci; Chirivella - Kane - Christie-Davies; Elliott - Brewster. Those 9 players are nailed on to start in my opinion.
There are question marks about who will play as a right back and there is free spot for one midfielder or winger /depends on what kind of formation we will play/. Gallacher plays on the left, but he is more experienced than the other options, so I can see him covering our right side.

Clarkson gets a lor of praise lately and he could add another body in midfield, Dixon-Bonner is also an option for the left vacant place in midfield.
Glatzel is out for at least 2 more months and we won't have many options in attack. Sadly Adam Lewis is injured too. with jim and Larouci our left side would look very interesting and promising.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Neil Critchley will manage the team.

There is a senior GK - Kelleher /probably after that match he will depart on loan, PNE interested/. Clyne has a serious injury, expect him to start training at the end of January the earliest. Lallana is on the plane to Qatar. Neco Williams and Jones are also there.

My guess for a starting eleven is:

Kelleher; Ki - van den Berg - Larouci; Chirivella - Kane - Christie-Davies; Elliott - Brewster. Those 9 players are nailed on to start in my opinion.
There are question marks about who will play as a right back and there is free spot for one midfielder or winger /depends on what kind of formation we will play/. Gallacher plays on the left, but he is more experienced than the other options, so I can see him covering our right side.

Clarkson gets a lor of praise lately and he could add another body in midfield, Dixon-Bonner is also an option for the left vacant place in midfield.
Glatzel is out for at least 2 more months and we won't have many options in attack. Sadly Adam Lewis is injured too. with jim and Larouci our left side would look very interesting and promising.
I thought it was only Williams that ended up travelling, with Jones, Elliott, Brewster all being left out of the travelling squad

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Hate to say it but I don't see them win, Man against boys, 3-1 Villa I'm afraid.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Villa haven't been in great form lately, but I don't think we can expect anything here. It's just a very good experience for the youngsters, to go to a very good, packed ground, soak everything in, and then go back to their development work.

The result doesn't matter in the least, just give a good account of yourself, lads.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Only thing one can wish for is that whoever plays enjoys himself and comes through unscathed.

The elephant in the room of course is the fact this ridiculous fixture congestion is forcing the most successful club of the competition to effectively forfeit a quarterfinal but nobody seems to care anyway.

That's modern football for you.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Realistically no chance but stranger things happened in football. Maybe a draw after 90 minutes and then fifty-fifty chances in penalties.

If the kids get it done it will be one of the proudest moments as fan for me.

Most important thing is that the kids enjoy and try to learn.

RedYank

They are indeed children. However, extremely talented children. And they will go balls to the wall for all 90+. It doesn't matter if most think they can't win--they will no doubt believe they can. As an Amercan football coach said several years ago: it's why you play the game.

nikz200

I wonder if Larouci is going to get a start or appearance during this game? At the very least i do think Herbie Kane will. The decisions for the 2 Centre backs will be interesting, Sepp Van Der Berg is one , but who will play alongside him?

Also interested in seeing if Dixon Bonner will play after he penned a extension on his deal with us recently.

Result doesn't matter here, performance will be interesting to watch, just want to see exactly how good the kids are.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Was hoping jones would play this one and then join the squad. He is quality and can make things happen.
Very interested to see how elliot and Brewster play.
I was hoping that klopp would split the squad, with may be shaqs, jones, origi, lallana playing villa and then joining the squad.
As things stand we dont have any experienced player for this, someone who can hold the young reds together during difficult spells.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Assuming that the young lads play the same formation of a 4-3-3 that Klopp uses

Kelleher
? , Hoever , VDB , Larouci
?,?,?
Longstaff , Brewster , Elliot

Don't know who the midfield options are going to be - Herbie Kane might get a game. Are Curtis Jones and Chrivella in the squad ?

Only hope that Aston Villa look at this squad and think of resting up their first team for the more critical relegation battle against Southampton. Anyway, The team needs to play tighter football especially at the back , be defensively tougher to breakdown. Try and catch the Aston Villa team out and keep it honest, Can't be expecting to have another Arsenal type defensive mishaps. Run them ragged and make them earn their win. I'll def try to watch this match tomorrow even if the result is of little interest.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
The kids will know, get a result and good performance, it will make Klopp look at them more and also, they might get the nod for the semis as a reward. Our 23s not necessarily that far worse than Villa. Excited to see how the kids get on

Status
Not open for further replies.