PRE MATCH: Bournemouth vs Liverpool (EPL), Saturday December 8th 2018, 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going for a calm, comfortable and realistic 0-2 result, devoid of all stress.
If only. I don't know about anyone else but going into each game knowing that we have to win every single time we play isn't really helping to make watching matches a stress-free experience. No wonder JK ran halfway round Anfield when Origi scored last weekend. The pressure must be intense.

This is our chance to put some pressure on City though. If they are going to lose a game in the first half of the season then surely away at Chelsea has to be it. Win here and we at least raise the stakes for that game and Chelsea will up for it having lost in midweek.

Think we need to be realistic about team selection with Napoli on Tuesday. That's not just a must win, but a must win by a certain score game. Mane is out tomorrow. Wouldn't be massively surprised to see Sturridge, even Moreno starting again. This is a game where we really could have done with Gomez at CB because they play a lot on the counter and have some quick, tricky players. Hopefully Matip, who did OK on Wednesday against a completely different kind of threat, can step up.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
If only. I don't know about anyone else but going into each game knowing that we have to win every single time we play isn't really helping to make watching matches a stress-free experience. No wonder JK ran halfway round Anfield when Origi scored last weekend. The pressure must be intense.

This is our chance to put some pressure on City though. If they are going to lose a game in the first half of the season then surely away at Chelsea has to be it. Win here and we at least raise the stakes for that game and Chelsea will up for it having lost in midweek.

Think we need to be realistic about team selection with Napoli on Tuesday. That's not just a must win, but a must win by a certain score game. Mane is out tomorrow. Wouldn't be massively surprised to see Sturridge, even Moreno starting again. This is a game where we really could have done with Gomez at CB because they play a lot on the counter and have some quick, tricky players. Hopefully Matip, who did OK on Wednesday against a completely different kind of threat, can step up.
Good thing is their midfield is out injured, and not sure how strong their replacements will be.

Also, they try to play football as opposed to the likes of Burnley and United. So can't see them parking the bus and trying to play on the counter.

One of the main hallmarks of the season is that we’ve been finding a way to win in games when we’ve not been at our best. I think that’s what we might have against Bournemouth. I hope it is comfortable, but they have a very good attack with a combination of pace, movement and strength. Gomez has all the natural traits to counter that, so he will be a big miss. Then again it’s a squad game, and others will have to come in and do well. Alisson and Van Dijk are the kingpins who hold a capable defence together, and without Gomez for a stretch there’s more for them to do to help keep concentration levels high.

I want to see Keita and Fabinho play in the middle. Have we seen that yet?

If we get close to our level we should win, and I do like the fact that Bournemouth try to play football, so at least it should be a sporting contest. They have a very good attack and with Gomez out I’m a bit nervous.

I predict a narrow win, 2-1 to us.

Wilson for them. Keita and Salah for us.

Commando

I was at the Emptihad (not a joke by the way. There were bunches of empty seats all around the ground) for their last game against Bournemouth. I definitely want Robbo back for this. Every time they had a chance they floated it to the left back position where Citeh had Shivshenko (spelling) playing. They would definitely target Albie IMO. They did play some good stuff in midfield and also down their left our right side with Fraser being a little menace.
Altogether a much sterner test than Burnley.

Anyway, once again I'll leave the team selection and tactics up to Jurgen and his staff.

COYR YNWA

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'm sure we'll see Milner at RB at least once in the coming weeks.lol
That seems fairly likely, Gomez' injury pretty clearly messed up Klopp's rotation plan for the fullback position. He likely planned to have TAA play Bournemouth, Napoli, and ManU but ~70 minutes of time versus Burnley complicates it. That is a lot of running over two weeks, particularly when you consider it is at the beginning of the holiday fixture jam. Without Gomez, there is going to have to be at least one somewhat odd fullback pair in one of the December matches, and I am not sure Klopp can wait until Newcastle for that.

Losing Gomez for centre-back is unfortunate, but it is just far easier to get two games a week for a sustained period out of that position without seeing a drop-off in performance or much increase in chance of injury. Van Dijk should be fine. It would be nice to see Lovren available though.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Really tough selection now Gomez is gone.

Matip doesn’t convince me at all, and you’d expect Lovren to start now, unless he’s been overcome with the vapours again.

Trent has seventy minutes against Burnley, and is now looking at playing both the Napoli and United games. That might be just about OK - it’s Tuesday>Sunday. We might see Milner or Fabinho at right back tomorrow.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
That seems fairly likely, Gomez' injury pretty clearly messed up Klopp's rotation plan for the fullback position. He likely planned to have TAA play Bournemouth, Napoli, and ManU but ~70 minutes of time versus Burnley complicates it. That is a lot of running over two weeks, particularly when you consider it is at the beginning of the holiday fixture jam. Without Gomez, there is going to have to be at least one somewhat odd fullback pair in one of the December matches, and I am not sure Klopp can wait until Newcastle for that.

Losing Gomez for centre-back is unfortunate, but it is just far easier to get two games a week for a sustained period out of that position without seeing a drop-off in performance or much increase in chance of injury. Van Dijk should be fine. It would be nice to see Lovren available though.
I wonder if we’ll see Camacho? He could be another option against Bournemouth.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I wonder if we’ll see Camacho? He could be another option against Bournemouth.
I think that would be a tough ask. Bournemouth are not world-beaters, but they are a solid side that deserve their spot in the table for playing good attacking football. In particular, they integrate the wide spaces into their attack well, and force the fullbacks to make a lot of read-and-react decisions to cover a wide player, a passing lane, or someone carrying the ball. Young players often have a harder time with that when making a step up in the level of play that the outright athleticism.

It sounds bizarre to say it, and the sheer nerves of the occasion mean it won't actually hold true, but Camacho would be a better fit against ManU - their pattern of play is simpler, just more physically demanding for a fullback to play against.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Really tough selection now Gomez is gone.

Matip doesn’t convince me at all, and you’d expect Lovren to start now, unless he’s been overcome with the vapours again.

Trent has seventy minutes against Burnley, and is now looking at playing both the Napoli and United games. That might be just about OK - it’s Tuesday>Sunday. We might see Milner or Fabinho at right back tomorrow.
Lovren has concussion so isn't available. Clyne is also out (no idea what with though!)

I like Milner as fullback, he was excellent when he went there v's Burnley.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Lovren has concussion so isn't available. Clyne is also out (no idea what with though!)

I like Milner as fullback, he was excellent when he went there v's Burnley.
Lovren's concussion has gone on long enough now that it is genuinely worrisome - if those symptoms don't clear up in a week or so, they seem to last for months.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
VvD + Matip + Who Else?????
Didn't think that far ahead...

Was just musing on the permutations and wondering if he'd ever done it back in the Mainz/Dortmund days.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Is Clyney really not worth considering these days :think:

I know he's fallen down the pecking order after his injury but I have always considered him a very solid option for us. Strange one. Knowing Jürgen we'll probably be seeing Camacho make his first team debut.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Lovren's concussion has gone on long enough now that it is genuinely worrisome - if those symptoms don't clear up in a week or so, they seem to last for months.

When did he suffer the injury? Has he had more than one concussion?

I guess that as his playing position involves him in regularly and repetitively clearing the ball with his head and the potential for further head-to-head collisions, they need to ensure complete recover before he plays again.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We have Clyne who might get more minutes, Fabinho can play RB or CB, Nat Phillips could feature on the bench if we need it. Camacho played RB in pre-season but has been used a lot more offensively and on the opposite lately for the U23's so not sure if Klopp would be willing to then completely switch that and throw him in at RB. But could be involved too. Not sure if we'll jump at Millie to play RB, we don't have a lot of top midfield performers and he was quality the other night. Try our best to keep him there, move him only if we really need it (but like I said, we have options).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Good thing is their midfield is out injured, and not sure how strong their replacements will be.

Also, they try to play football as opposed to the likes of Burnley and United. So can't see them parking the bus and trying to play on the counter.
Unfortunately one of the two injured isn’t Fraser. Thorn to our side every time we played them and he’s been on very good form. He is the main provider to Wilson’s goals.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
A repeat of last season's result would be very, very nice. But we are without Joe Gomez and Sadio is a doubt.

For Bournemouth, Lewis Cook and Dan Gosling are out, but their ranks will be strengthened by the appearance of Lee Mason (my tip for their man of the match).

Not only that, it's a bloody, bloody, bloody 12:30 kickoff. Away from home. I hate 12:30 kickoffs. I especially hate 12:30 kickoffs when we are away form home. The slough of despond that is the 12:30 kickoff away from home. A crime against humanity; an affront to human dignity; a cruel and unusual punishment. I loath 12:30 kickoffs and despise the foul and loathsome creatures of the pit who devised them; may their privy parts be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels, may they go bald from ringworm, these artisans of the abomination of desolation that is the 12:30 kick off.

Did I mention it's a 12:30 kick off? ergo:

This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! :rolleyes: (well someone had to say it)
I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :shocked:

GermanRed

Fabinho was bought as a midfielder and I hope that he continues to play there and only there.
Klopp added: "He has ability and mentality to play at the highest level in a number of positions. He can play '6', '8' and '2'. This is cool. He is tactically very strong and football smart.

Many of our players are able to play different positions and I would even say that often it’s a criteria for potential new signings.

For tomorrow or the coming weeks I don’t think he will play RB but he could be used as an emergency CB as long as we are without Gomez and Lovren.

RedForever2014

So Lovren is now out on top of Gomez and we're left with Matip.

It's always fascinating how we have four fit centre backs vying to start, then one when gets injured at least one more does too.

Klopp will have to consider Napoli, but ultimately this match needs to be won first.

I'd expect to see Henderson, Milner, Fabinho, Gini and Keita feature in either match. Personally I hope Henderson plays tomorrow and not against Napoli, with Keita my choice to have another outing after his improved performance.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Fabinho is the man to play right back or centre back, don't want to see Clyne or Phillips. Milner is also a good option at right back if needed. Shouldn't be a problem for this one though, Trent will start this.

A 12:30 kickoff when we're basically playing in Northern France is ridiculous, especially given we only played on wednesday. Should be in a pretty good place given our rotation but it's still not ideal.

Keita and Shaq to retain their places hopefully.

Bournemouth's form has dropped off and they were lucky the other night vs Huddersfield. Turn up and we should get the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.