• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: Bradford City v Liverpool (14/7/19 3.00 pm)

Magnus

A decent half against a lower league side from our players. A fair result would have been 3-1, and it would have probably been better for both sides, as Bradford would have gained a bit of confidence and we would maybe have learned more from our sloppy play where we allowed them several dangerous counter attacks. Still, I am enjoying this a lot ! Fun game to watch.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Milner has a really good foot foot for shots. I have often been a bit dismayed at how often his very excellent shots have been blocked in previous seasons. Because the man can shoot.

And of course, he can take penalties, that man as well :)

TBH, Milner is probably my favorite player on Liverpool. Loyal, and a damn fine athlete. He doesn't give up that man. Sure VDV, Salah and Firminho and Mane have more Ooomph, but Milner is so solid. I just like him a person, I really do.
Milly's a pool legend for me. Let him end his career here and start coaching here.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Yeah, a fun game to watch. Our lads are doing well overall, although you can see that one or two of our players are already struggling a bit against this opposition, which is stronger than Tranmere. Larouci doesn't look ready for regular first-team football. Kent is another one who doesn't look like he'll be able to become a top side player. Wilson and Brewster on the other hands looked very lively and inventive. Brewster's goal was very well-taken, and Wilson could have scored a brilliant little goal if the goalie hadn't stopped it superbly.

All in all, I like this mixture of young and experienced players. Philips benefits from being able to play alongside Matip the other day, and now Lovren today. Milner, Ox and Lallana provided a stable platform for the team during this first half.

At three nil, we'll no doubt other young players coming in. Jones deserves another outing after Tranmere. Hoever should get 45 minutes as well. It's very enjoyable to see all these players in action! :)

auzziez

Decent first half. I felt that a lot of our attacking threat came from the left meaning Kent was involved much more than I would have liked. Would rather have seen Wilson in such situation. No offense to Kent but I think Wilson is currently much better and higher up the pecking order when it comes to first team.
Looking forward to seeing the second half as I missed the Tranmere game.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
How did Ox look?
He looked ok, if anything he still doesnt look fully fit. No mistakes or anything but didnt see enough of the ball to have much influence on the game. I think we'll see a lot more from him when the first teamers start giving him more options up front to play to and he gets a few more minutes in him.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Just noticed several Bradford players don't even have numbers on their shirts.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Well i was mistaken. On the teamsheets i thought this 2nd half side would be better than the 1st half team. This just seems so flat. Wont be surprised to see a 0-0 2nd half. Also a little disappointed that nothings going down the right side, was looking forward to seeing Hoever but he hasnt had a chance to do anything yet

Notasuperfan

The only player from this 2nd half thats impresed me is Curtis Jones. I know its down to the players youre playing alongside and its just a friendly but nobody else in this 2nd half even deserves a mention really.
Yeah, Curtis Jones showed a bit of class back there...His passing is pretty crisp.

LFCFFC

Well i was mistaken. On the teamsheets i thought this 2nd half side would be better than the 1st half team. This just seems so flat. Wont be surprised to see a 0-0 2nd half. Also a little disappointed that nothings going down the right side, was looking forward to seeing Hoever but he hasnt had a chance to do anything yet
Hmm? For me the 1st half side was much stronger up front and arguably much more creative in midfield too.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Yeah, Curtis Jones showed a bit of class back there...His passing is pretty crisp.
He did, took players on well too but it played out like a training session whereas the 1st half looked like a proper friendly. Dortmund next though and i expect to see us up the intensity a bit for them

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Hmm? For me the 1st half side was much stronger up front and probably much more creative in midfield too.
It was and is suppose apart from Origi it should have been but i thought the FBs would have stretched a tired Bradford a lot more than they did. That and Origi left me looking forward to the 2nd half but Hoever barely touched the ball and apart from 1 or 2 crosses Lewis didnt impress much either. Never mind, this is just friendlies anyway and most of our 1st team is still missing (plus at least we get to watch LFC) so not complaining. It did seem more like they couldnt be bothered 2nd half though, no intensity.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
I know Origi is a bit of a cult hero but on todays showing I prefer Brewster over big Div, IMO a more intelligent footballer
I say this with the highest level of love and respect. How to say this. Someone made a good point about that in the Who Would You Buy thread. Big Div has massive and invaluable goals in his boots and it's impossible to properly quantify that, but in several other moments in a match he isn't what one would call a refined footballer.

Dimitriy

Well...
- First half...regardless of the goals...Milner was the one connecting the play and the most active on the pitch...that's how it's done, a forward thinking playmaker !
The set peaces issue, when Migs and Dejan organize it...nerve wrecking again ! -I like Philips !
- Second half...3, 12, 32 wrere a bit sluggish, Klopp did tell that couple of times to Matip, to move the ball faster...they were OK for a starters...The problem was "the parked bus", with no player capable of breaking the "matrix":rolleyes:...And that's why we can't give it a rest to the Fekir thread
..It seems, the game plan is to involve the left backs more, obviously ! The penalty, doesn't bode well for Lewis. Larouci was OK, but sets himself up faster than the other forwards, which then gets him entangled with the defence. It will be interesting to see, how he copes with Borusia
Fair to say Duncan was lightweight, but Woodburn ?....Jones tried to play, but to horizontal at times...
All the best guys !

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The balance between experience and youth was a bit less spot on for that second half than for the first one. Too many youngsters on the pitch, and it showed. But they'll of course learn from the experience. Players like Hoever, Lewis, Miller and Duncan weren't able to show enough for this level of opposition. Jones was good I thought, very good even, but there wasn't enough quality on the pitch for him to make a real difference. Origi wasn't decisive enough. Woodburn was anonymous.

The goal is a joke and should never have happened. Lewis made a foul in the box when the ball was gone and there wasn't any danger anymore. Klopp will no doubt have learnt a lot about the current level of his players. From all these youngsters, Wilson and Brewster strike me as being able to help the first team during the season. All others aren't ready yet I think, apart maybe Jones and Phillips as emergency solutions, but probably they'd be better off finding good loan moves in order to play regularly?

Anyway, the first-teamers will come back bit by bit and the squad will grow together again while playing against some serious opposition to come: Dortmund next in a week, then Sevilla. We'll see who from all the batch of youngsters makes it for the tour in the US. My first names would be Brewster, Wilson, Jones and Phillips. In that order.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Brewster very good again, playing neat little one-two's. Stylistically shades of Benzema how he drops, combines, but then has the ability to also attack in behind. Keeps possession and I'm glad he's really tried to understand what Klopp wants from his CF. You don't get a lot of talented strikers who fully understand these things from an early age, they mainly think about goals. I think this also might be the first time in Klopp's career that he has a young striker (with the basic tools) inherited from the club who he can raise in his own way. Second half a bit flat, not creative enough, though our level also dropped in the last 10-15mins in the first half. All okay, these are our first games. As things stand, I don't think we'll see any of Wilson or Kent next season with us (that's not only based on two friendlies, I know it's early and we have 5 more high profile friendlies to come, but my general feeling at this moment).

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Agree with the previous 3 posts. 45 minutes of preseason football does not a career make, but the second half squad was really flat and didn't do much. Joe Gomez in particular looked like he would have rather been anywhere else in the world. Oddly lackadaisical and careless. And I'm not sure what to make of Ben Woodburn through 2 halves of preseason football. I legitimately have no idea what position he plays.

Brewster is a wily fox. Absolute hunter of goals. I am excited to see what he does against the sides we will play in the US next week.