• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: Bradford City v Liverpool (14/7/19 3.00 pm)

Danny_

First half was very good. Milner looks like it's the regular season, not just the goals but everything. I was impressed by our CBs also. Lovren and Phillips were very good. Brewster took his goal chance very well and Kent had some good moments. Mignolet's distribution also seems to have improved greatly. We moved the ball very quickly and passed it very well. Ox had some good and bad moments and still looks a bit rusty. Lallana - a few good moments but some bad ones as well.

Second half not so good. Only Fabinho and Mignolet really stood out. Lewis can cross the ball really well but I am not sure about the defensive side and he is a bit small. You can get away with that at FB if you are good enough.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I watched last 20 of first half and first 10 of 2nd half.
But I’m just not ready to watch football yet - especially friendlies.
From what I saw.....
Great save from Ming in first half.
Lallana was Lallana. Not up to much.
Felt Ox was trying a bit too hard. But good to see him back.
Lovren looked as rusty as hell.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I say this with the highest level of love and respect. How to say this. Someone made a good point about that in the Who Would You Buy thread. Big Div has massive and invaluable goals in his boots and it's impossible to properly quantify that, but in several other moments in a match he isn't what one would call a refined footballer.
In the build up play he always wants too many touches whereas Brewster has played some delightful 1 touch passes

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Bradford were a tougher test than Tranmere. They defended and broke well and deserved their goal. We were flat in the second half and there was a lot of possession without any penetration. Also the right hand side of the pitch was ignored meaning we didn't see much of Hoever which was disappointing. Curtis Jones was lively, but from the two games Brewster stood out head and shoulders above the other non-regulars as someone who is definitely ready for the first team.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
disappointing sports day for me, but any chance of a nice decent goals package for me to lift my moods up

Joe Gomez x

Wasn’t a great 2nd half. Here is my thoughts on our youngsters

. Like the looks of Phillips, think he looked very mature in centre half.
Was disappointed not to see Hoever get on the ball a bit more.
I know it’s early but Woodburn and Lewis don’t look like they will have the ability for any first team football unlike their youthful counterparts.
Brewster is a classy number 9, looks like he isn’t bothered when the ball hasn’t touched him in multiple minutes but then but then sparks to life in a second when there is a chance. Different to Bobby and maybe he’s the answer to our ‘Out and out striker question’.
Kent has brilliant feet but end product is missing, seen that a few times watching him at Rangers.
Larouci looks like a decent left back but hasn’t been tested defensively so I’ll hold my judgement, wasn’t as involved as he was in the Tranmere game.
Jones is quality, played it slightly safe but had little movement from the attackers for him to slip balls to, although played a brilliant ball to Miller.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
We were ironically better holding the ball in the second but did nothing.
There were a lot of great movements in the opposition half for the initial 15-20 minutes in the 2nd-half, unfortunately could not capitalise. Then it was holding the ball up too much with less effective passing.

I read a few praises for Curtis Jones, but I felt that he was holding the ball for too long, and missed several good opportunities to lay the ball out wide. Then again, what do I know, I am just a couch potato. lol

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Job done in the sun. Our second practice match passed off almost without a hitch. It didn't look as though Bradford had any idea how to score against us, and then they won a soft penalty. Throughout the team the lads moved the ball about with relative ease, but we were playing a Second Division side it has to be said. Kent and Brewster showed all the signs to please us spectators that our club's future is bright. Lallana, unusually, playing in a deeper role than normal, played the game effortlessly with simple passes moving the ball quickly. Our defence was hardly troubled apart from giving a needless penalty away when the Bradford player was running away from our goal. All in all it was a good run out for the lads, but stiffer trials lie ahead. U.S.A., here we come.

Gazmaninaus

A lot of people mention how our younger players are only playing against lower league teams. May I remind some that in recent times some of our loaned out players couldn’t even get a start at lower league clubs. Some got sent back. So seeing them waltzing around two lower league teams is great. The club has come a long way.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Lewis got forward well a few times but gave away a penalty.

Could be a perfect replacement for Moreno?

:tongue:
I don't think it was a pen. The second half was very flat and I reckon the ref got bored; so, to liven things up he gave the pen. :think:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don't think it was a pen. The second half was very flat and I reckon the ref got bored; so, to liven things up he gave the pen. :think:
I thought it’s was a very rash tackle, and a definite pen. Thought it was outside the box on first view, but the challenge was inside.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
I thought it’s was a very rash tackle, and a definite pen. Thought it was outside the box on first view, but the challenge was inside.
I disagree. The Bradford #10, Donaldson, is not in control of the ball. Lewis plays the ball cleanly; Donaldson vaults over Lewis leg and does an exaggerated triple roll which the ref buys. There is barely any contact; Lewis certainly does not follow through or trip Donaldson. No penalty.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I disagree. The Bradford #10, Donaldson, is not in control of the ball. Lewis plays the ball cleanly; Donaldson vaults over Lewis leg and does an exaggerated triple roll which the ref buys. There is barely any contact; Lewis certainly does not follow through or trip Donaldson. No penalty.

I don’t know how you can say Lewis plays the ball cleanly. He doesn’t touch it at all.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Not in control of the ball? He clearly touches it past Lewis...and would easily retrieve it had he not been tripped.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Where did Woodburn play? Was he one of the front 3 or was he one of the mids?

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
I read a few praises for Curtis Jones, but I felt that he was holding the ball for too long, and missed several good opportunities to lay the ball out wide. Then again, what do I know, I am just a couch potato. lol
I agree with this. Jones showed a lot and there was much to like about his performance, but he did seem to dribble into pressure quite often rather than passing the ball into spaces where a teammate would have time and opportunity to create better chances.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I agree with this. Jones showed a lot and there was much to like about his performance, but he did seem to dribble into pressure quite often rather than passing the ball into spaces where a teammate would have time and opportunity to create better chances.
It’s true, the lad was just showing how inexperienced he is. In time he will get better, but that will be some time in the future.

Lowton_Red

Ad-free Member
Not in control of the ball? He clearly touches it past Lewis...and would easily retrieve it had he not been tripped.
"Trip"
Verb: catch one's foot on something and stumble or fall.

Noun: a stumble or fall due to catching one's foot on something.

In which frame does Lewis catch Donaldson's foot and trip him?

I don’t know how you can say Lewis plays the ball cleanly. He doesn’t touch it at all.
Donaldson can be seen to strike the ball with the outside of his right foot (frame 12 above). Striking the ball in this fashion imparts a clockwise spin on the ball (from the striker's perspective) which would tend either, to make the ball travel in a straight line, or to have a tendency to swerve to the right (from the striker's perspective) unless some other force acts upon the ball, such as another player touching the ball after Donaldson (e.g. frame 15 above).

If Lewis doesn't touch the ball, why doesn't it travel in the expected direction? :think:

And what possible force could have acted upon Donaldson causing him to raise his left leg and and enter into a "Kanesque" roll?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
"Trip"

Donaldson can be seen to strike the ball with the outside of his right foot (frame 12 above). Striking the ball in this fashion imparts a clockwise spin on the ball (from the striker's perspective) which would tend either, to make the ball travel in a straight line, or to have a tendency to swerve to the right (from the striker's perspective) unless some other force acts upon the ball, such as another player touching the ball after Donaldson (e.g. frame 15 above).

If Lewis doesn't touch the ball, why doesn't it travel in the expected direction? :think:

And what possible force could have acted upon Donaldson causing him to raise his left leg and and enter into a "Kanesque" roll?
I love the effort but maybe save it for the regular season when a questionable one goes against us in a game that means something lol.

Lewis's hip catches his trailing leg around the knee and knocks him off balance. It's really hard to stay up when running at speed and things hit your legs. If you don't want to call it a trip, that's fine.

The ball goes exactly where Bradford's forward kicks it lol. Blame any inconsistency on Bradford's pitch.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Agree in some respects but there was less space to pass into in the 2nd half and even more concerning the movement was far less from the players in front of him. The only space was in the wide areas in which Bradford were happy for us to play in and any cross from us played in to their hands as Origi was rarely in the box for crosses and our other front men are to samll ro a threat.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
"Trip"

Rules state trips or attempts to trip either careless, reckless or using excessive force.

Lewis was careless and their player had to hurdle the challenge to avoid contact which equals a foul

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Agree in some respects but there was less space to pass into in the 2nd half and even more concerning the movement was far less from the players in front of him. The only space was in the wide areas in which Bradford were happy for us to play in and any cross from us played in to their hands as Origi was rarely in the box for crosses and our other front men are to samll ro a threat.
True - and on TV it is often hard to asses what a players best options really are. I think Jones looked very bright and was probably our best player in the second half, but think he also showed some inexperience in his decision making. I think that is something that can and will get better if and when he gets more opportunities.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
True - and on TV it is often hard to asses what a players best options really are. I think Jones looked very bright and was probably our best player in the second half, but think he also showed some inexperience in his decision making. I think that is something that can and will get better if and when he gets more opportunities.
Yes spot on, I also think having more experienced players around him would be beneficial, he has the tools just needs the vision.