PRE MATCH: Brighton vs Liverpool (EPL), Saturday January 12th 2019, 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Liverpool's form for the last 5 games has a blemish, yet we still have the joint best form in the league - WWWWL - 12 points, 3 home wins, 1 away win, 1 away loss, 2 clean sheets, 4 goals conceded, 16 goals scored. Liverpool are 1st in the EPL, 54 points and counting, 4 points clear, with a joint league leading goal difference.

Brighton are 13th in the league, and the form for the last 5 games has a bit of everything - LLDWD - 5 points, 1 home win, 1 away draw, 1 away loss, 1 home loss and 1 home draw. They have only scored 5 goals while conceding 7. Brighton have a goal difference of -5 (12th in the league), and currently have the joint 7th best defense in the EPL, at 29 goals conceded. They have scored 24, which is 11th in the league. Brighton are currently a mid table team, and are only 14 point from equaling last seasons point tally. They have improved.

The only new injury concern's are Lovren and Lallana, I believe they are minor injuries, yet Lovren being a CB has increased the seriousness. Brighton have no new injury concerns that I am aware of.

The last game at Anfield we won 1-0, an ugly win, a Mo goal along with an Alisson flick, combined with a 88 minute +2 point save. The TIA MOM award was probably the most balanced I have witnessed. The MOM had Milner, Gini and Alisson all in contention, with Milner ultimately collecting the most votes, by a 1.5% margin. The game saw us with 70% of the possession, 22 shots vs 6, 8 shots on target vs 2, corners 8 vs 5, while they beat us with 14 fouls to our 8. I expect them to play for a point, maybe being slightly more aggressive on the attack, yet I expect most of the stats to remain the same.

I think the lineup will be quite easy to predict, my first choice being:

Code:
           Alisson
TAA   Fabinho     Virgil   Robertson
         Henderson  Gini
    Shaqiri  Firmino  Mane
              Salah
I can only find a slight difference for my second selection which would include Keita. I think Milner needs a rest.

Code:
           Alisson
TAA   Fabinho     Virgil   Robertson
      Gini Henderson  Keita
      Salah  Firmino  Mane
I would first and foremost like a win+cleansheet+GD, or win+cleansheet, or any win will do.

I like the sound of 0-4.

Last edited:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Well done @nobluff , lets get the show back on again.

I was at the anfield fixture - 2nd home game of the season, and though we deserved the win - at 1-0, it was never safe.
Pretty sure they will be happy with a point, but lets get at them and start a new streak.

I think Lovren will be fit again for this one, but I'm liking Fabinho the more and more I see him. Any win will do for me, but that 4-0 would be sweet.
Game could not come soon enough.

vjcpatriot

Look, I know we got bounced out of the FA Cup by Wolves but I have no problem with Klopp prioritizing the League over a Cup.

Hopefully we feature our strongest lineup for Brighton as it's always tough to win on the road. We need to bounce back with a strong win after two straight defeats.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Bit of a banana skin this one. Think we'll be too strong for them, we played well against City and there's no reason to think we won't play well again.

Prediction: 1-3 to our Redmen.

My team would be:

..........................Alisson........................
Trent........Fabinho...... Virgil...... Robertson
......... Henderson....... Wijnaldum........
Mane................................Keita...................
....................Firmino...........................
..............................Salah...........................

Last edited:

Redsi73

Can't see Naby starting this one, and despite his mistake i think Milner will start in the Hendo, Gini, Milner midfield 3.

Don't think Brighton are the bus parking type, they like to play a bit of football and with them being at home they will be under pressure from the fans to go for us.

1-3 redmen

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
One of the ladies that I work with is very shy, quiet and deeply religious. Prim and proper would be an appropriate dscription. Always pleasent and we always say hello and exchange small talk but she never “opens up” if that makes sense (stop sniggering at the back). I saw her Monday (She’s a Brighton fan) and said “Looking forward to the game at the weekend?” She didn’t turn round (was on a ladder putting a display up after school) and said (I kid you not) “NO! I’m fucking shitting myself!”

Don’t think I’ve laughed so hard in years. She wasn’t kidding, properly terrified.

Good :-)

Redopium

Hopefully VVD and Hendo are OK for this, we are starting to get a bit stretched with injuries at the back, matip is supposed to be near a comeback I think we will see Masterson on the bench, we need to get back to winning ways, Brighton can be very good on their day so it may need patience, I predict 1-3 result. :celebrating::celebrating::celebrating:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
One of the ladies that I work with is very shy, quiet and deeply religious. Prim and proper would be an appropriate dscription. Always pleasent and we always say hello and exchange small talk but she never “opens up” if that makes sense (stop sniggering at the back). I saw her Monday (She’s a Brighton fan) and said “Looking forward to the game at the weekend?” She didn’t turn round (was on a ladder putting a display up after school) and said (I kid you not) “NO! I’m fucking shitting myself!”

Don’t think I’ve laughed so hard in years. She wasn’t kidding, properly terrified.

Good :-)
I’m just picturing this prim and proper lady on a ladder (must be wearing a knee length skirt?) - and @ptt at the bottom “I’m fucking shitting myself!” - would love to see your face at this point.

Do you think she would take 2-0 defeat?

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
I’m just picturing this prim and proper lady on a ladder (must be wearing a knee length skirt?) - and @ptt at the bottom “I’m fucking shitting myself!” - would love to see your face at this point.

Do you think she would take 2-0 defeat?
Trousers ;-)

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Hopefully no new injuries/niggles. Pretty sure we'll go with Fabinho alongside Virgil. Interesting is that last season going away to Brighton we also had issues at CB and successfully deployed a 3 at the back system with Can and Gini either side of Lovren. Hopefully we keep it tight enough there between Fabinho and Trent. I'd expect Hendo to play the right sided of the double six where Gini should naturally start. Millie drops to the bench, as does Keita. I don't think Shaqiri plays as well as a lot of fans think, but we'll probably go back to Salah up top, Bobby to help the midfield and then... if Keita/Lallana would be in better form, perhaps we'd flip Mane towards our right side to help Trent for a bit and play one of the two in that left halfspace. But at the moment nobody of the mentioned attacking midfielders plays better than Shaqiri so I think that will be it.

Brighton are solid at home this season, 5 wins and only 2 defeats, both against Chelsea and Spurs, both 1-2 defeats. If I'm not mistaken, they've flipped their midfield structure lately with Stephens holding and Propper playing a bit higher this time partnered by Gross. Locadia got more of a chance from the left forward position. We'll see if they play more of a hard working winger there (like maybe March on the left and Knockaert on the right... Izquierdo is still out and he's one of their two injuries + Matt Ryan is out on international duty, something Son will also be a part of soon) and concentrate on Murray to try and pin down Fabinho.

So I also expect this:
Alisson
Trent Fabinho vDijk Robertson
Henderson Wijnaldum
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
Salah

Subs: Mignolet, Hoever, Moreno, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Origi.

I'd prefer Camacho to Moreno on the bench though. I'd give Origi that slight advantage over Sturridge after the last game, nothing special, but just more work ethic and reward for that goal. But Sturridge could be in for Lallana (hope he's not injured or off!).

Last edited:

NZred

The Red From NZ
Anything less than a win is a failure. I don't care how we get it, but after back to back loses we gotta get the 3 points otherwise the wheels will fall off.

sabbatwolf

TIA Youth Team
This one feels like a must win. Brighton are not a bad side but I think we've got enough in our locker to beat them (even with the injuries) but it can't be taken for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.