PRE MATCH: Brighton vs Liverpool (EPL), Saturday January 12th 2019, 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthyBloke

This one feels like a must win. Brighton are not a bad side but I think we've got enough in our locker to beat them (even with the injuries) but it can't be taken for granted.
Aye. We just need to find that mix in midfield again.
It’s difficult because Milner looks like Father Time is catching up with him, Henderson and lallana can’t seem to find any rhythm, keita isn’t firing on all cyclinders, and Shaqiri seems to unbalance the system.

If Fabinho isn’t started at centreback I’d like to see Fabinho Wijnandum and keita start.

But as we really have to win to get back to form, there can be absolutely no place for Moreno or sturridge.

sabbatwolf

TIA Youth Team
Aye. We just need to find that mix in midfield again.
It’s difficult because Milner looks like Father Time is catching up with him, Henderson and lallana can’t seem to find any rhythm, keita isn’t firing on all cyclinders, and Shaqiri seems to unbalance the system.

If Fabinho isn’t started at centreback I’d like to see Fabinho Wijnandum and keita start.

But as we really have to win to get back to form, there can be absolutely no place for Moreno or sturridge.
I suspect Milly is carrying an injury, it could be age/wear and tear though. Keita is an odd one, we've seen some signs of the player we thought we bought (surely I didn't dream it) but there's obvious problems there. I'm not in the Moreno hating camp, he's an ok if less than ideal back up, but I am saddened by Sturridge. He looked like he might have found a hint of his mojo during pre-season. I think he prefers to be the main man and just isn't.

Quite liked Fabinho at CB. With VVD back in the line up he should be ok.

Richard88

With a full week rest both before and after this game it's a case of the team picking itself.

The only real decision is whether to start Shaqiri or Keita. And whether to go 4231 (Keita on the left or Shaqiri on the right), or 433 (Keita in the middle). Reckon Keita gets the start as it's an away game but wouldn't be surprised either way.

-------------------- Alisson ------------------------
Trent - Fabinho - Van Dijk - Robertson
---------------- Henderson -----------------------
------- Wijnaldum ------- Keita ---------------
Salah ----------- Firmino -------- Mane ----

Bench: Mignolet, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
i hope this doesnt comeback to bite me on the Arse, but i am comfortable with our injury 'crisis' at CB if it means having Fabinho and Virgil back there...against an adventurous Brighton, the passing Range could add another dimension to this team.

theres an obvious knock on issue regarding the midfield, but you can spin that as maybe an oppurtunity to be more attacking, given what could possibly coming out from the back

Incognito

The Normal One
With a full week rest both before and after this game it's a case of the team picking itself.

The only real decision is whether to start Shaqiri or Keita. And whether to go 4231 (Keita on the left or Shaqiri on the right), or 433 (Keita in the middle). Reckon Keita gets the start as it's an away game but wouldn't be surprised either way.

-------------------- Alisson ------------------------
Trent - Fabinho - Van Dijk - Robertson
---------------- Henderson -----------------------
------- Wijnaldum ------- Keita ---------------
Salah ----------- Firmino -------- Mane ----

Bench: Mignolet, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi
Agree with your take that the only question is between Shaqiri and Keita, and since both have played mid week could be a difficult choice. There's no way the other 10 do not pick themselves up, unless Klopp gets too creative at the CB position as he mentioned.

I hope it's Keita starting and Shaqiri as impact sub again. It's time for Keita to show why Klopp has got him and silence his critics.

Just thrash them, go 7 points clear, put the pressure back on the pack that's chasing and everyone is happy happy again :rolleyes:

Rooster

What a hit son
One of Brighton’s best this season is the great Aussie keeper Mat Ryan. He can’t help them this weekend whilst on Asian Cup duty so good news for us.

I guess the only other issue is who partners Virgil. The big fella will make anyone look good but you would expect Fab to get the gig.

Time to get back on the winning ways and expect 2-0 compliments of a Virgil head and toss up of the front 3 so how about Manes turn.

No excuses now.

sharkula

A must win match, I expect another cup final type of performance from the lads
I think it will be Fabinho in centre defence. Or lovren if fit
Gini-Miller-Henderson midfield, Fabinho will be in if Lovren is fit (yes despite the loss at Man C)
Shaqiri to come on at 60 min if things not going well as expected
I'm looking forward to a 0-3 result !

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I think it will be this

Alisson
Trent Fabinho Van Dijk Robertson
Henderson Wijnaldum
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
Salah​
That would be my preferred line-up too if Lovren isn't back for this one. There is some serious attacking threat in this team, while still having a good overall balance, and hopefully, Fabinho can cope at the back with VVD alongside him.

I suspect Milly is carrying an injury, it could be age/wear and tear though. (...).
He is carrying an injury indeed. Klopp said this in his last post-match conference.

FilthyBloke

Fabinho at centre back is fine but it’s not his natural position.
Glenn Murray will target him, and he seems to be immortal.
And I don’t hate Moreno. He just seems to be one of those players where every mistake gets punished.

I suspect Milly is carrying an injury, it could be age/wear and tear though. Keita is an odd one, we've seen some signs of the player we thought we bought (surely I didn't dream it) but there's obvious problems there. I'm not in the Moreno hating camp, he's an ok if less than ideal back up, but I am saddened by Sturridge. He looked like he might have found a hint of his mojo during pre-season. I think he prefers to be the main man and just isn't.

Quite liked Fabinho at CB. With VVD back in the line up he should be ok.

donks

TIA First Team
There's a lot of pressure on this game, we need to react to the City defeat and also the fact we basically gave up the FA Cup for the league the vultures will be out to see us fail and laugh at our expense.

There is an opportunity to go 7 points clear of City and put some pressure on them going into a tricky home game vs Wolves. For me this is a must win fixture and I expect a big reaction from the team.

I really don't wan to see a midfield trio of Gini, Henderson and Milner. Milner looks like he needs a break and maybe now is the time to give Keita his chance and a run of games.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I really don't wan to see a midfield trio of Gini, Henderson and Milner.
You might not have a choice seeing Lovren is out injured and the other two centre halves aren't ready yet. Fabinho will be used as a backup centre half, and that leaves Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson the only midfielders in the squad available to be picked.

donks

TIA First Team
You might not have a choice seeing Lovren is out injured and the other two centre halves aren't ready yet. Fabinho will be used as a backup centre half, and that leaves Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson the only midfielders in the squad available to be picked.
Could Klopp be brave and play and Henderson and Gini with Shaqiri or Keita in front.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Could Klopp be brave and play and Henderson and Gini with Shaqiri or Keita in front.
Henderson and Wijnaldum playing as two central midfielders would negate the purpose of having Shaqiri or Keita in the mix because they won't be seeing the ball any time soon unless they grew some 8 inches overnight. These two midfielders are known to overburden the fullback and centre halves in possession, known for the sideways and back passes. A lot of diagonals will be coming from Van Dijk and Fabinho I feel.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Henderson and Wijnaldum playing as two central midfielders would negate the purpose of having Shaqiri or Keita in the mix because they won't be seeing the ball any time soon unless they grew some 8 inches overnight. These two midfielders are known to overburden the fullback and centre halves in possession, known for the sideways and back passes. A lot of diagonals will be coming from Van Dijk and Fabinho I feel.

Or we could go with:

......................Hendo...............
....... Wijnaldum.......Keita.......

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Trent, Fabinho, VDV and Robbo.
Milner and Gini as the 2
Shaqiri Firmino and Mane the 3
Salah up top.
No messing about, no need to see the likes of Moreno or Sturridge on the pitch again barring a raft of injuries. Moreno simply isn't the standard and Sturridge, good player as he was looked lazy and disinterested against Wolves. Maligned as Origi he is he at least made an effort.
Keita to get minutes, Hendo as back up if Milner is as suspected, injured.

Dutch

Hopefully no new injuries/niggles. Pretty sure we'll go with Fabinho alongside Virgil. Interesting is that last season going away to Brighton we also had issues at CB and successfully deployed a 3 at the back system with Can and Gini either side of Lovren. Hopefully we keep it tight enough there between Fabinho and Trent. I'd expect Hendo to play the right sided of the double six where Gini should naturally start. Millie drops to the bench, as does Keita. I don't think Shaqiri plays as well as a lot of fans think, but we'll probably go back to Salah up top, Bobby to help the midfield and then... if Keita/Lallana would be in better form, perhaps we'd flip Mane towards our right side to help Trent for a bit and play one of the two in that left halfspace. But at the moment nobody of the mentioned attacking midfielders plays better than Shaqiri so I think that will be it.

Brighton are solid at home this season, 5 wins and only 2 defeats, both against Chelsea and Spurs, both 1-2 defeats. If I'm not mistaken, they've flipped their midfield structure lately with Stephens holding and Propper playing a bit higher this time partnered by Gross. Locadia got more of a chance from the left forward position. We'll see if they play more of a hard working winger there (like maybe March on the left and Knockaert on the right... Izquierdo is still out and he's one of their two injuries + Matt Ryan is out on international duty, something Son will also be a part of soon) and concentrate on Murray to try and pin down Fabinho.

So I also expect this:
Alisson
Trent Fabinho vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho
Shaqiri Firmino Mane
Salah

Subs: Mignolet, Hoever, Moreno, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Origi.

I'd prefer Camacho to Moreno on the bench though. I'd give Origi that slight advantage over Sturridge after the last game, nothing special, but just more work ethic and reward for that goal. But Sturridge could be in for Lallana (hope he's not injured or off!).
I think playing Fabinho in defence and on the midfield is a bit too much. :tongue:

We will pick up where we where before the City match, we win 0-3.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Or we could go with:

......................Hendo...............
....... Wijnaldum.......Keita.......
There will be a lot of running forward from Wijnaldum and passed it back to Henderson. Keita hasn’t exactly exudes enough confidence for his teammates to rely on him to get the ball forward. I would still think Klopp will go with his tried and tested mid-3.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I hope not Eddie. Had enough of seeing Milner and Henderson together, does my head in seeing those 2 in the same team. Keita offers something completely different and I love the way he carries the ball forward. I REALLY hope he plays this one, especially as Fabinho will almost certainly be in defence.

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
Another huge game (lets face it they all are now.) Maybe with all injury the problems that is why I'm feeling apprehensive. We only beat them 1-0 in the reverse fixture but we missed a few chances. Just a win please we need to get back on the winning track.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Expecting a fresh and fired up game from us with plenty of opportunity for our front three leaving BHA scrambling in our dust,only real problem i see is getting a decent stream to witness the dismantling of BHA as it happens but will probably see the goals 5 minutes after every fucker else as usual.

Richard88

A must win match, I expect another cup final type of performance from the lads
I think it will be Fabinho in centre defence. Or lovren if fit
Gini-Miller-Henderson midfield, Fabinho will be in if Lovren is fit (yes despite the loss at Man C)
Shaqiri to come on at 60 min if things not going well as expected
I'm looking forward to a 0-3 result !
No, it's not a "must win" match. We could lose this and would still be ahead of City and win the title in our hands.

It is an important game though, to remind City that they're up against a a tough team, and get back to business of churning out wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.