PRE MATCH: Brighton vs Liverpool (EPL), Saturday January 12th 2019, 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
No, it's not a "must win" match.
It is , in the sense that were we not to win here then we will have thrown away a seven point lead and a huge psychological advantage in the space of two games . Also the doubt it might spread through the side could lead to another 'January blip' and hand the title to City. Like all games from here on in , it's the most important one of the season so far.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing Fab alongside Virgil tbh and I also think Klopp should persevere with Keita. The lad needs a run of games to find some consistency.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It is , in the sense that were we not to win here then we will have thrown away a seven point lead and a huge psychological advantage in the space of two games . Also the doubt it might spread through the side could lead to another 'January blip' and hand the title to City. Like all games from here on in , it's the most important one of the season so far.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing Fab alongside Virgil tbh and I also think Klopp should persevere with Keita. The lad needs a run of games to find some consistency.
I have not seen a great deal of Brighton this year, apart from our match, just their win over ManU in August and part of the Chelsea match. This match strikes me as a very good one to give Keita some serious playing time. Brighton really struggled to deal with aggressive dribble penetration (not sure how Hazard did not end up with about 4 goals), which has been one of the things we have seen glimpses of from Keita. Defensively, Brighton go wide as soon as they can in the attack, which really simplifies the role of most midfielders - to me, Keita has often looked like he is not quite sure what his responsibilities are, so he tries to command central space, leaving him fairly static.

Richard88

There's a lot of if's and maybes and "might happens"' there.

We could lose and then City lose. We could lose and then win the rest of our games. Many scenarios, but hardly the end of the season if we don't win. So again, not a "must win". Just another important game.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
There's a lot of if's and maybes and "might happens"' there.

We could lose and then City lose. We could lose and then win the rest of our games. Many scenarios, but hardly the end of the season if we don't win. So again, not a "must win". Just another important game.

We'll agree to disagree then. I still think it's a must win game and I'm pretty sure that will be the mindset and the way we approach the game.

C

Caradoc

What is a ‘must win’ game? Well a Cup Final probably is, unless of course you’re not bothered about winning. A match where the outcome actually directly decides your fate in terms of qualifying for something significant or avoiding relegation.

Every match between now and the end of the season is now extremely important if we have serious aspirations of winning the EPL unless our nearest rivals start to drop points regularly.

I would say that losing this next match would constitute a serious setback if for no other reason than that’s the best way to put the City defeat firmly behind us and minimise its impact.

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
I have heard two fans now on Radio Merseyside advocating throwing the Bayern tie so desperate are they to win the league. A couple of posters on here have pretty much said the same thing.

I was stunned when I heard the first guy suggest it but I guess there are some who will not be too bothered if we roll over in this cup too...

So should we play the 2nd/3rd string in the Bayern tie and leave the first choice squad to concentrate on the likes of Brighton?

Sussex Red

Hi, I’m a lifelong Red (and had a longterm thisisanfieled account which I seldom used, which seems to have been deleted, hence this brand new account).

I have a spare ticket for Saturday sitting with home fans, but very close to the away section.

If I’m allowed to mention that here, would anyone be interested in acquiring the ticket from me? Genuine ticket, all in good faith, would speak by phone beforehand, to sell to a responsible person.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I have heard two fans now on Radio Merseyside advocating throwing the Bayern tie so desperate are they to win the league. A couple of posters on here have pretty much said the same thing.

I was stunned when I heard the first guy suggest it but I guess there are some who will not be too bothered if we roll over in this cup too...

So should we play the 2nd/3rd string in the Bayern tie and leave the first choice squad to concentrate on the likes of Brighton?
Not relevant to this thread, but no, clearly not.

Sussex Red

I have not seen a great deal of Brighton this year, apart from our match, just their win over ManU in August and part of the Chelsea match. This match strikes me as a very good one to give Keita some serious playing time. Brighton really struggled to deal with aggressive dribble penetration (not sure how Hazard did not end up with about 4 goals), which has been one of the things we have seen glimpses of from Keita. Defensively, Brighton go wide as soon as they can in the attack, which really simplifies the role of most midfielders - to me, Keita has often looked like he is not quite sure what his responsibilities are, so he tries to command central space, leaving him fairly static.
We should play our strongest, in form 11, as possible. Living here in Sussex I follow the progress of the Albion, who are in form especially at home - just drawn against mega spending Arsenal and beat Everton who went into the match cocky after their Burnley away thrashing. Brighton’s new recruits that were struggling or unfit, have suddenly hit form. Brighton fans think they’re going to upset an unaware Liverpool. So play our team that won all 7 PL in December, bar changes forced by injury.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

I did not really have a problem with Klopp choosing to keep his powder dry versus Wolves in the Cup, although I ended up being disappointed in the performance. But the psychology of rolling over for Bayern to beat Bournemouth is very different, and something that really has a very high risk of being self-defeating. I assume it is Bournemouth that was proposed, given proximity to the Bayern tie.

One, it is Bournemouth. Solid side, playing decently, but with nowhere near the talent level. All LFC need to do to win is go, play hard, play to the full potential, and it should fall into place. Thinking otherwise smacks of desperation, that somehow a close loss in the most difficult fixture possible in the league and a close loss with a reserve team has initiated some kind of crisis.

Two, it is Bayern, one of the great teams in Europe. One of the teams we waited through the wilderness years to face again. I doubt there was a moment that did more damage to Rodgers' credibility than the CL match versus Real Madrid, with the possible exception of the Stoke fiasco - but I am not sure he had much credibility left by then.

With any luck, the defensive injury problem will be over with by mid-February, and perhaps even players like Keita will have made some progress to give us more depth in midfield. There is no reason to panic over matches a month away because of a short-term constraint. Go to Brighton, get the points, shorten the season by one game, lather, rinse, repeat.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We should play our strongest, in form 11, as possible. Living here in Sussex I follow the progress of the Albion, who are in form especially at home - just drawn against mega spending Arsenal and beat Everton who went into the match cocky after their Burnley away thrashing. Brighton’s new recruits that were struggling or unfit, have suddenly hit form. Brighton fans think they’re going to upset an unaware Liverpool. So play our team that won all 7 PL in December, bar changes forced by injury.
Klopp might know what our best midfield is, but I am not sure I do. We saw quite a few midfield configurations. With the injury problem, we know Fabinho probably cannot be in midfield. Milner looks like he needs some downtime, so that is probably Wijnaldum or Henderson deep, likely both playing, and neither of those guys are going to consistently push the ball up through the midfield. There is certainly a case to be made for Shaqiri too.

Brighton strikes me as relatively slow in the center of the field, from what little I have seen of them their central players tackle very aggressively but take themselves out of the play when they miss - and don't have much recovery speed. That is why I think ensuring that we have a player who forces them to commit is critical.

Magnus

No, no, no, no, no!!!
I like the FA cup and was disappointed with our low tempo and general performance, but understood the selection. The FA cup is nothing, absolutely nothing, comparable to the Champions League though! No chance in hell that Klopp will not select what he views to be our current strongest team against Bayern München !

C

Caradoc

Klopp might know what our best midfield is, but I am not sure I do. We saw quite a few midfield configurations. With the injury problem, we know Fabinho probably cannot be in midfield. Milner looks like he needs some downtime, so that is probably Wijnaldum or Henderson deep, likely both playing, and neither of those guys are going to consistently push the ball up through the midfield. There is certainly a case to be made for Shaqiri too.

Brighton strikes me as relatively slow in the center of the field, from what little I have seen of them their central players tackle very aggressively but take themselves out of the play when they miss - and don't have much recovery speed. That is why I think ensuring that we have a player who forces them to commit is critical.

I think Klopp will have his ‘go-to’ midfield which at the moment I would guess is probably Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum. Whether he considers that to be his ‘best’ midfield I don’t know (yes, I know ‘go-to’ and ‘best’, aren’t they the same thing?). I refer to the ‘go-to’ as probably his most ‘reliable’ just now, his safest option if you like.

I don’t think Klopp expected Naby to take this long to settle so I’m not sure if even he knows what his best midfield combination is right now. Then there is the idea of ‘horses for courses’ which I think will play a big part in his tactical planning once everybody is up to speead with what he expects of them and are able to produce that in a match situation.

Sussex Red

You’re right about Brighton. Stephens and Propper will sit deep protecting the central defence, but Propper has a great pass on him (leading to Arsenal equaliser from 70 yards). Hughton is a underrated coach, tactician and manager - they’ve spent only £110m in 3 PL windows (which is the same as both Fulham and West Ham in just summer 18). The trashings of Brighton last season, became just a tense 1-0 at Anfield in August. Liverpool simply need to play their best 11, and with the intensity and concentration of all the December wins. Simple.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

There are ten days between Bournemouth and the first leg against Bayern. Then five days til Utd.

Why would we need to rest anyone?

Rambler

There are ten days between Bournemouth and the first leg against Bayern. Then five days til Utd.

Why would we need to rest anyone?
It was more about the principal that this season, total focus should be on the league and that progression in the CL could result in injuries and fatigue and it wasn't worth it if it meant not winning the title.

sms1986

Do United play the same week or is it staggered.?
Hope it's the same week as PSG will run them ragged
They play 9th then 12th, so they'll not get much rest before the PSG game. I expect PSG will beat them comfortably. We play the Tuesday before we play United but we have plenty of rest before and after the Bayern match.

However, the weekend of the 16th is FA Cup week so they could have a match then as well.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
You’re right about Brighton. Stephens and Propper will sit deep protecting the central defence, but Propper has a great pass on him (leading to Arsenal equaliser from 70 yards). Hughton is a underrated coach, tactician and manager - they’ve spent only £110m in 3 PL windows (which is the same as both Fulham and West Ham in just summer 18). The trashings of Brighton last season, became just a tense 1-0 at Anfield in August. Liverpool simply need to play their best 11, and with the intensity and concentration of all the December wins. Simple.
So you figure 4-5-1, with one of the central midfield three playing a little higher than Stephens and Propper?

Agree about Hughton.

Flobs

FADA
What is a ‘must win’ game? Well a Cup Final probably is, unless of course you’re not bothered about winning. A match where the outcome actually directly decides your fate in terms of qualifying for something significant or avoiding relegation.

Every match between now and the end of the season is now extremely important if we have serious aspirations of winning the EPL unless our nearest rivals start to drop points regularly.

I would say that losing this next match would constitute a serious setback if for no other reason than that’s the best way to put the City defeat firmly behind us and minimise its impact.
Every game of the season is a must win game until it's drawn or lost. Then it's absolute disaster and every player and tea lady should fear for their jobs.

Klopp out! ;-)

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist

Well I never said that, what I said is that l wouldn't be bothered going out to bayern of it ment we won the league. I'm not saying anything about losing the game by playing a 2nd or 3rd string team.
You are basically putting words in people's mouths because nobody here has said that, what most are saying that the league is the one we want the most and in hindsight if we go out early helps us win the league then it'll be worth it

Last edited:

Rambler

Well I never said that, what I said is that l wouldn't be bothered going out to bayern of it ment we won the league. I'm not saying anything about losing the game by playing a 2nd or 3rd string team.
You are basically putting words in people's mouths because nobody here has said that, what most are saying that the league is the one we want the most and in hindsight if we go out early helps us win the league then it'll be worth it
You weren't one of those I was referring to.....

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
This is probably the most competitive prem season in recent years with all 4 top teams still in with a chance of winning it. Our lead is slender but it's still a lead. The best thing that we can do is give the chasers a target to catch and let them slug it out behind us but no more "tactical losses" please. That's not the mark of champions. The one thing that you need to do when you are looking to win the title race is make your rivals believe that you are uncatchable. Our last couple of games will have given them all hope and that was demonstrated in the way that Spurs and Citeh have confidently won their games since. I know that the critics on here will say it was against lowly opposition but nevertheless, a win is a win and it's worth more if you score 7 or 9

I hope we put on a really confident show at the weekend. It will put the marker of intent back down and make them all think again. I would be happy with a clean sheet and at least 3 goals to the good!

Sussex Red

So you figure 4-5-1, with one of the central midfield three playing a little higher than Stephens and Propper?

Agree about Hughton.
Hi. That’s it, or just lately a surprisingly positive 4-3-3, with Locadia and a.n.other on the opposite wing pushed up, both supporting the centre forward Murray or Andone. Far more positive, Brighton fans reckon TAA and Robertson will be put under unexpected pressure (rather than the cautious 9 outfield players sitting deep).

Status
Not open for further replies.