PRE MATCH: Brighton vs Liverpool (EPL), Saturday January 12th 2019, 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBYM

Jnr VP of the See, Hear, Speak No Evil Brigade
Hendo and Matip trained, but seems likely that they be ready for a spot on the bench at most

Would play:

............Allison...........
Trent...Fabinho....Van Djik.....Roberston.....
...........Wijnaldum.....Keita.........
..Mane........Firmino.........Shaqiri........
................Salah..................

Subs: Mignolet Matip Moreno Henderson Milner Sturridge Origi
That line-up is more than capable of putting the Gulls to the sword.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Had a dream Mo was playing at Wimbledon and I started the Egyptian King song. Midway through the match, Mo figured out that they were raising the net above regulation height on his serve. Good sign, I think. Or at least confirmation that I’m desperate for football.
OMG I had exactly the same dream.

No, I didn't. I didn't. Really, I didn't.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Just a bit worried by the fact that Hendo will train only today. Who knows if it will be enough for him to start tomorrow. Fabinho will most probably go next to Virgil, we'll probably flip to the double-six formation with Shaqiri starting on the right. But in that midfield two I don't want Milner nor Keita. Need a solid base with Hendo and Gini. At least one who can protect that Fabinho/Trent zone well. I guess Milner would get the advantage over Keita if Hendo can't start, in that case we could decide which double-six would protect which side, by more past experience.

RedForever2014

We simply can’t let a 7 point lead become 1 or 2 points over two matches.

We need to win all 5 matches before the CL kicks in, whilst City and Spurs have fixture congestion and play top 6 sides in the PL.

Get to within touching distance of 70 points with just under a third of the season remaining, and we’ll be in a strong position for the final three months of the season.

There are banana skins during the run in, when we have intense sequences if we stay in the CL, so let’s not slip up when we’ve a chance to accumulate points ahead of that.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
We go into this match following two defeats on the bounce and with only one fit centre back. To add insult to injury Kevin "when it comes to scousers I'm no" Friend is the ref. If that wasn't bad enough Lawro just had to go and pronounce that this match will result in a draw. The [email protected]

In response I've decided to go all out with the anathema and "Musa sapientum fixa cutis" ©™. So, for what may prove to be the final time if we don't get the win, and before my self imposed purdah on this thread:

And spotteth twice they the camels before the third hour. And so the Kopites went forth to Ram Gilead in Kadesh Bilgemath by Shor Ethra Regalion, to the house of Gash-Bil-Betheul-Bazda, he who brought the butter dish to Balshazar and the tent peg to the house of Rashomon, and there slew they the Seagulls, yea, and placed they the bits in little pots.

This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! :rolleyes: (well someone had to say it)

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :shocked:

Last edited:

sms1986

We simply can’t let a 7 point lead become 1 or 2 points over two matches.

We need to win all 5 matches before the CL kicks in, whilst City and Spurs have fixture congestion and play top 6 sides in the PL.

Get to within touching distance of 70 points with just under a third of the season remaining, and we’ll be in a strong position for the final three months of the season.

There are banana skins during the run in, when we have intense sequences if we stay in the CL, so let’s not slip up when we’ve a chance to accumulate points ahead of that.
A thrashing of Brighton tomorrow would be a good start!

RedForever2014

It’s an utter disgrace that Friend can so obviously ref matches in a biased way with a smug grin on his face.

He’s got a face you’d never tire of punching, which I guess explains why he looks the way he does.

Watch the blowing a foul for every clean tackle we make combined with play on being waved for leg breaking fouls by them.

sms1986

Sadio Mane has described playing for Liverpool as ‘something incredible’ as he prepares to make his 100th appearance for the club.

The No.10 will reach his century should he be selected against Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday, with his 99 Reds matches to date yielding 42 goals.

“Of course, it means a lot to me,” Mane told Premier League Productions of the prospect of representing Liverpool for the 100th time.

“To play at a club like Liverpool is something incredible. I always said, I am very happy to play for this club. Every single day I enjoy being here and I’m looking forward to playing my 100th game. It will mean a lot.

“Thank you to everybody - the club, the fans and the coach for the trust. I will try to do everything with my teammates to win something for this club.”
Jürgen Klopp’s side head to the south coast on the back of successive 2-1 defeats to Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Last Thursday’s loss at Etihad Stadium reduced the Reds’ advantage at the top of the Premier League to four points, while the reverse at Molineux four days later saw them eliminated from the FA Cup.

Mane, though, senses a determination within the squad to get back to winning ways at the first opportunity versus Brighton.

“The manager is very, very positive,” the forward said.

“He has a lot of experience and he knows in football [defeats] can happen. The reaction is the most important thing. Everybody is more focused and knows what it would mean for us to win on Saturday.

“We know it will not be easy but we have quality and we’re going to try to do everything to win the game.”

Earlier this week, Mane attended the 2018 CAF African Player of the Year awards in his homeland Senegal.

For the second year in succession, the 26-year-old finished second behind Mohamed Salah in the running for the prize, but he believes his teammate merited top spot.

Mane continued: “Honestly, he deserves it. He had an incredible season for us last year and scored many, many goals.

“I think he deserved it and I’m happy for him. Sadly, I didn’t win it - but it’s no problem. I will work harder and harder, and hopefully next time.”
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/333686-sadio-mane-liverpool-100-games-interview

Kopitebob

Liverpool's form for the last 5 games has a blemish, yet we still have the joint best form in the league - WWWWL - 12 points, 3 home wins, 1 away win, 1 away loss, 2 clean sheets, 4 goals conceded, 16 goals scored. Liverpool are 1st in the EPL, 54 points and counting, 4 points clear, with a joint league leading goal difference.

Brighton are 13th in the league, and the form for the last 5 games has a bit of everything - LLDWD - 5 points, 1 home win, 1 away draw, 1 away loss, 1 home loss and 1 home draw. They have only scored 5 goals while conceding 7. Brighton have a goal difference of -5 (12th in the league), and currently have the joint 7th best defense in the EPL, at 29 goals conceded. They have scored 24, which is 11th in the league. Brighton are currently a mid table team, and are only 14 point from equaling last seasons point tally. They have improved.

The only new injury concern's are Lovren and Lallana, I believe they are minor injuries, yet Lovren being a CB has increased the seriousness. Brighton have no new injury concerns that I am aware of.

The last game at Anfield we won 1-0, an ugly win, a Mo goal along with an Alisson flick, combined with a 88 minute +2 point save. The TIA MOM award was probably the most balanced I have witnessed. The MOM had Milner, Gini and Alisson all in contention, with Milner ultimately collecting the most votes, by a 1.5% margin. The game saw us with 70% of the possession, 22 shots vs 6, 8 shots on target vs 2, corners 8 vs 5, while they beat us with 14 fouls to our 8. I expect them to play for a point, maybe being slightly more aggressive on the attack, yet I expect most of the stats to remain the same.

I think the lineup will be quite easy to predict, my first choice being:

Code:
           Alisson
TAA   Fabinho     Virgil   Robertson
         Henderson  Gini
    Shaqiri  Firmino  Mane
              Salah
I can only find a slight difference for my second selection which would include Keita. I think Milner needs a rest.

Code:
           Alisson
TAA   Fabinho     Virgil   Robertson
      Gini Henderson  Keita
      Salah  Firmino  Mane
I would first and foremost like a win+cleansheet+GD, or win+cleansheet, or any win will do.

I like the sound of 0-4.
Think that's about right 3 or 4 nil

Sussex Red

Simply play the best team to maximise the chance of leaving with three precious points.

Playing an out of form player to attempt to get them into form, would be a mistake. Brighton at home are much improved, in a run of impressive results, are organised, their new signings have clicked and they are quietly confident.

Total professionalism from Klopp.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I don't really get the fear with playing Keita - he started away at Bournemouth, Burnley and Wolves in december in good wins and also started away at Palace and Tottenham earlier on in the season. He's perfectly capable.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Fortune favours the brave. Not going to predict what Klopp would do, and I don’t know who is actually available

Code:
Becker
TAA Phillips VVD Robertson
Fabinho Winaldum
Salah Keita Mane
Firmino
Subs Migs Moreno Matip Hendo Shaqiri Sturridge Origi

FilthyBloke

I know mr Houghton has a terrible record against us, but they were not so bad earlier in the season.
We have a few injuries to deal with but should still be strong enough to get a result.
It’s imperative we get a result here. Seeing a 7 point lead reduced to 2 (or 1) could have distarous affects on our mentality and the psychological denting could be irreversible.

So for me this is a must win game.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
It’s match day.

Let’s get this on now. We know what we have to do. Most players have had more than a week off, they should be raring to go.

Work hard. Run. Run some more. Then let the quality shine.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Hendo and Matip trained, but seems likely that they be ready for a spot on the bench at most

Would play:

............Allison...........
Trent...Fabinho....Van Djik.....Roberston.....
...........Wijnaldum.....Keita.........
..Mane........Firmino.........Shaqiri........
................Salah..................

Subs: Mignolet Matip Moreno Henderson Milner Sturridge Origi
Wouldn't expect to see anything other than this. I'm sure Jurgen will have the team really fired up for this and Brighton will be blown away.
Seagulls 0 Liverbirds 3 or more!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I didn’t know Kevin Friend is the ref tomorrow. We’re fucked!
It’s an utter disgrace that Friend can so obviously ref matches in a biased way with a smug grin on his face.

He’s got a face you’d never tire of punching, which I guess explains why he looks the way he does.

Watch the blowing a foul for every clean tackle we make combined with play on being waved for leg breaking fouls by them.
Why? Since Klopp came in, he has refereed eight games we took part in. We won six and lost two (2-3 against Swansea at Anfield in January 2017, and the more recent 1-2 loss against Chelsea in the league cup).

That said, I'd like to punch his face too! lol

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Why? Since Klopp came in, he has refereed eight games we took part in. We won six and lost two (2-3 against Swansea at Anfield in January 2017, and the more recent 1-2 loss against Chelsea in the league cup).

That said, I'd like to punch his face too! lol
I’ve heard fans of other clubs refer to him as Kevin ‘Liverpool’s’ Friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.