• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Brighton vs Liverpool (PL Wednesday 08/07/2020 20:15 BST)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
No pre-match thread yet? So, let's get this started. Here is the link to an article with all of Klopp's pre-match quotes today:

And here an article from TIA main site predicting the line-up and containing the video of the pre-match conference:

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Taki as the 9 seems to be the consensus for where he should be, but Bobby is so key to how we play and it was obvious how awful we were on Sunday without him. Again, nothing against Origi, he has scored some big goals for us, but it does appear that our attack loses a ton of fluidity when he plays, particularly on the left. As for Minamino, I do want him to get a run-out and score a goal to get his confidence going...for all his injury problems I think Naby turned a corner in terms of form when he finally got his goal last spring. Given our new signing is a front player, the confidence boost from scoring his first goal might be even more pronounced.

Don't expect it to happen, but I would be intrigued to see 4-2-3-1 with Fabinho and Hendo holding, the front three with Bobby at the 10, and then Taki up front. Bobby can drop even deeper and Mo and Sadio can still tuck inside in advanced positions. I don't see Brighton having a ton of possession so I don't think the risk of playing the double-pivot is too great, and with Bobby playing as a true 10 that would be essentially a third midfielder anyway. Again, don't expect it, but I guess if there is ever a competitive match to try it in it's one where you've wrapped up the League and — recognizing the desire to go for records — essentially have a free hit against a bottom-half side.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Naby Keita hat trick.3-0
Let's hope it's before half time or he'll not have done 'enough'.

Could be a tricky game this, could be a good one too. Generally Brighton aren't massive shithouses like Everton, Palace and Villa so hopefully we'll actually see something that resembles football.

I'd go strong again for this one and make the changes against Burnley instead.

2-1 reds, with a scare in the mix, just like at Anfield.

Zoran

I like Brighton, very flexible side. They were better in opening parts of the season. Results suffered in the second. I think next season if they continue like this and Potter moves around a few faces in and out, they'll be better and probably finish around mid table. Like Klopp said, they opted for a more conservative approach lately, less possession and more "let's get results" based. I don't think they'll be as negative as Palace were. Villa had a few good counter attacks in the second half the other day, but didn't finish them well. Hopefully a better game, yeah.

I'd keep Naby in the starting XI, let's see if he can gel at least two good performances in a row. Origi didn't do enough to merit a second successive start.

RodM

Do you remember the good old days when every game was a must-win game?

This is interesting in that Brighton aren't desperate for the points. They aren't mathematically safe but they have a 7 point buffer to play with. There is just a chance that they'll have a crack at this and we get a bit of entertainment.

I'll go for a 2:1 to us.

nikz200

I know i keep saying this, but maybe this is the game Minamino will start in the middle...... ah who am i kidding, its probably going to be Mo, Firmino and Mane again....

Hendo , Ox and Fabinho in the midfield , hopefully Ox will be up for it this time and hit Brighton where it hurts.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but we should start Milner or Neco Williams over Robertson for this game.

jaffod

Still plenty to play for. Record number of points and record title-winning margin for starters.

It's also time we scored a few away from home. 5 games without a goal is poor by anybody's standards, sort of thing you associate with dross like Bournemouth and Villa.

Also these were pretty vociferous during the break, angling for anything that stopped them being relegated. they are probably safe but it would be nice to fuck them up all the same.

I'd go full strength. Nobody has come in and staked a claim for a starting role which is pretty disappointing tbh. Maybe Keita for Gini, Milner for Robbo (still looks like he's on a 2 week bender).

Reckon we'll win by the odd goal.

macca1970

With each game every few days, expect more rotation. I suspect one of the fullbacks will be rested, with Neco Williams coming in. Neco had a few seconds at left back in the last game, so maybe it’ll be for Andy.

Reckon Henderson and Gini will return in midfield, with A.N. Other. Bobby to start, with one of Mane and Salah to begin from the bench. Curtis will get the final 10 mins from the bench.

So a strong team with but with a couple of surprises.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
This is the most important game of the season, well at least it will be until the next one. It's an absolutely must win game.

And win it we must if we are to end our poor run in away games. We've not won on the road since we beat norwich one nil, a run of five games in which our only point came from the scoreless draw with the blueshite - more worryingly, we haven't scored in any of these five games. So we will have to up our game from our rather drab performance against the villains.

Inexplicably, PGMOL have not gone with one of their trusted cohort of the damned, but instead have appointed craig "dee-dar" pawson to be their man in the middle. Still, I doubt we'll get many 50-50 decisions, but there is the outside chance of the odd 70-30 one going our way.

Boudica is "off colour" following Thursday's pre-match exertions. She is of the opinion that either the stilton, or her second last bottle of Glenfarclas 105 was "off". Normally the Mem has a cast iron constitution but has confined herself to barracks, where, in a darkened room, she has resolved to living a simple and blameless life, on a diet of thin captain’s biscuits (I mean that the biscuits are thin, not the captain) and soda-water.

When I enquired as to her likely contribution to tonight's rituals she mumbled something about it being by way of cyclicomancy or brizomancy. I put it down to a lack of staying power and advised her that next time she should stick to Hendricks. She replied that I could stick my opinions up my arras and to go boil my head. Sympathy is such an oft unappreciated virtue.

Anyway, tonight we are at brighton* where manager, graham "silhillian" potter, sits before empty stands, a feeling of profound melancholy coming over him in his survey of the once bustling place, crying, Ah! Vanitas Vanitatum! Which of us is happy in this world? Which of us has his desire? Or, having it, is satisfied? A lovely turn of phrase, if a little wanting in the didactic hexameter department.

*(Although tonight's opponents are, in the kioné, termed "the seagulls", they no longer display a seagull on the club crest, which actually portrays an image of a legless Martlet, not to be confused with the French merlette, a duck-like bird with a swan-neck and chopped-off beak and legs.

Sadly, and all down to the pandemic, we shall be denied the thrill of hearing the home support chanting "come on you legless martlets".)

Make no mistake, even though we face lowly opposition, who have nothing to play for now that relegation is all but avoided, it will be a tough ask, especially as Lawro has attempted to disrupt our progress with a reckless deployment of the Trumpington subterfuge in predicting a two nil win to us.

Hopefully his attempted kiss of death won't throw a spanner in the works and upset the apple-cart. :rolleyes:

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :oops:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Jesus games are coming around fast!

Hopefully see some of the youngsters tonight.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Good point made on TAW yesterday.
They think we will go full strength today then play some youngsters/squad players versus Burnley then full strength against Arsenal.

richieh10

Would expect to see Minamino, Williams, Gini, Jones and Elliot from the bench

richieh10

Also saw Shaq named on the bench last time out, So maybe he’ll get a look in

Red over the water

I like the recognition given at the start of the games to Covid victims, and also the ongoing struggle for racial justice and equality with black lives matter. It’s also right to honor the frontline workers in the NHS.

In simpler times... I’d like a little of the spotlight to fall on remembering Michael Robinson, a Brighton and Liverpool man. Died from melanoma at 61 at the end of April... that’s no age. While never at the level of some of the great strikers we have had, he was a good player who did his job, and played in a European Cup winning team for us. He moved on to play in Spain and then had a second career, arguably more successful than his playing career, as a broadcaster.

There are very few ex players who go on to do exceptional things after they hang up their boots. Michael Robinson was one of them. So bright and engaging, a passionate man with a love of life that genuinely made this world a better place.

I hope we mark his passing, but if not, I will remember. RIP.

Last edited:

Red over the water

As for the game, full credit to Brighton and their up and coming manager. He has them playing well. We should have too much for them, so long as we apply ourselves, and with a 100 point record to conquer, I think we will get it done.

3-1 to the mighty reds. Virg header, and a youngster, from the bench to score too. Harvey Elliot watched Jones do it, and I’m betting he will follow suit in a cameo appearance today.

I would make a comparison between Graham Potter and Eddie Howe of a few years ago. Howe was a bright young thing and touted for bigger jobs, but he stayed at Bournemouth, possibly too long, as it now looks a bit stale and they will probably go down. I would imagine in the next year or so Potter will move up the football management ladder.

Last edited: