PRE MATCH: Burnley vs Liverpool (EPL), Wednesday December 5th 2018, 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobluff

TIA Reserve Team
Now that one of the strangest Merseyside Derby's has concluded, most of the dust has settled, we move onto out next vitally important game.

Liverpool's form for the last 5 games in the EPL - WDWWW - In other words, 2 points from a perfect 15.
Burnley's for for the last 5 games in the EPL - LLDLLL - In other words, 2 points from a perfect 0.

We beat them 1 - 2 with the corresponding fixture last year, another injury time smash and grab, with another unlikely hero, Klavan. I really just prefer to win "normally" on Wednesday.

To put it mildly, Burnley are not doing well, their form, even home form, is terrible (depending on who you are). Sean Dyche was quoted saying "hard work" is needed, which to my mind translates into "get into the face of the next opponent, leave a little bit extra on that tackle". Our players should expect this from the first second of the game, and I don't think this will be a defensive game from their side.

I believe we will see rotation for this game, I don't know how much, so its my guess that the lineup will be:
Code:
           Alisson
Gomez   Lovren Virgil   Robertson
             Fabinho
      Milner     Henderson
   Salah      Sturridge       Sadio

I wouldn't mind seeing the following lineup. I doubt it will be close to this, however in theory we need to rotate, and keep most of the bench, game sharp. I put Origi in there, not for sentiment, but because I had totally forgotten about him, and he reminded me in a big way, and not the goal, it was his run on the right that first caught my eye. The only thing I don't want to see, as far as lineups go, is a combination of Milner, Henderson and Gini.
Code:
           Alisson
Trent   Gomez   Virgil   Robertson
             Fabinho
         Milner     Keïta
   Origi      Sturridge       Sadio
In conclusion, Burnley have conceded 29 goals (2nd worst), have a goal difference of -16 (2nd worst), and 19th in the table (2nd worst), so lets take them apart and move them to worst goals conceded, worst goal difference, and worst in the EPL.

A 0-5 win should do it, its deserved after all the nail biting emotions from Sunday.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
After what happened with the bitters, it's easy to get carried away and think that this will be a walk in the park.

The reality is that we have to be ready both mentally and physically. Whoever plays has to be switched on because they will put up a fight and we haven't exactly set the world alight with our recent performances.

So please do not relax for this one.

Alright Now

Now that one of the strangest Merseyside Derby's has concluded, most of the dust has settled, we move onto out next vitally important game.

Liverpool's form for the last 5 games in the EPL - WDWWW - In other words, 2 points from a perfect 15.
Burnley's for for the last 5 games in the EPL - LLDLLL - In other words, 2 points from a perfect 0.

We beat them 1 - 2 with the corresponding fixture last year, another injury time smash and grab, with another unlikely hero, Klavan. I really just prefer to win "normally" on Wednesday.

To put it mildly, Burnley are not doing well, their form, even home form, is terrible (depending on who you are). Sean Dyche was quoted saying "hard work" is needed, which to my mind translates into "get into the face of the next opponent, leave a little bit extra on that tackle". Our players should expect this from the first second of the game, and I don't think this will be a defensive game from their side.

I believe we will see rotation for this game, I don't know how much, so its my guess that the lineup will be:
Code:
           Alisson
Gomez   Lovren Virgil   Robertson
             Fabinho
      Milner     Henderson
   Salah      Sturridge       Sadio

I wouldn't mind seeing the following lineup. I doubt it will be close to this, however in theory we need to rotate, and keep most of the bench, game sharp. I put Origi in there, not for sentiment, but because I had totally forgotten about him, and he reminded me in a big way, and not the goal, it was his run on the right that first caught my eye. The only thing I don't want to see, as far as lineups go, is a combination of Milner, Henderson and Gini.
Code:
           Alisson
Trent   Gomez   Virgil   Robertson
             Fabinho
         Milner     Keïta
   Origi      Sturridge       Sadio
In conclusion, Burnley have conceded 29 goals (2nd worst), have a goal difference of -16 (2nd worst), and 19th in the table (2nd worst), so lets take them apart and move them to worst goals conceded, worst goal difference, and worst in the EPL.

A 0-5 win should do it, its deserved after all the nail biting emotions from Sunday.
Thanks, @nobluff . Brilliant memories of Klavan!

Please, please any win...and then take over the top of the table on the evening of the 16th with yours truly making his Kop debut. Goosebumps.

Come on you Reds!

GermanRed

We have much better players, much better squads and fatigue doesn’t count as an excuse for the next two games because Burnley and Bournemouth also have the three games in a week.

Anything less than 6 points and we can hand City the title rightaway.

Red over the water

Thanks for the OP. I especially agree with the midfield sentiment. Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum are all decent enough in their own way, but as a blend it doesn't really work. Now that Fabinho is finding his feet here, and with more to come from Keita, there really shouldn't be too many times, if any, we see that trio start together again.

One thing about Fabinho that is going a bit under the radar is that he is not just a defensive midfielder, in the sort of destroyer-tackler mode. He is also decent on the ball, and he passes it forwards as well as the safer sideways sort of option too. There's more to come from that lad, but I'm glad he looks to be settling down.

I remember Origi and Sturridge playing up front together 2-3 years ago against Southampton, and we won the game 6-1. I wouldn't be altogether against playing the pair of them from the start for this one. If Mane has a niggle, and Firmino is off form, let them sit it out.

Not sure what side Jurgen will pick but I expect some changes - not loads, but a little shuffle of the pack.

We should be picking up the three points but we have to keep fighting. It would be very careless to crash down to earth with a bang after the euphoria of Sunday. We need to keep taking care of business, and I would happily accept a low key win right now.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Couldn't agree more. These are exactly the sort of games we go into thinking we will take 3 easy points.

Dyche will be appealing to his sides nasty streak and I will bet my left nut that they will be in our face from the first whistle. Lets just hope they run out of steam and our quality gets us home.

Sounds like Sadio and Robbo won't be starting, so expect to see Moreno slot in at LB and perhaps Shaq covering for Sadio or maybe even Origi after his heroics on Sunday. I just don't want to see Bobby playing on the flanks.

Burnley seem to like to turn up the heat when playing against us. Last year (from memory) we scraped home at the end thanks to a Klavin header from a free kick.

liver1

Big Div in for Bobby anyone?:think:
Yep. I think Firmino has been knocking on the door to be dropped/rested for quite a while now.

When Origi came on, in the space of 10 minutes he broke past the Everton lines and put in a dangerous cross, he hit the post, and he scored the goal.

Firmino looks like hes lost his confidence/ hunger. Origi looked hungry in the same way Shaqiri does right now, they want the ball and they want to do something.

7th Earl

I think Klopp will rest 2 of the usual front 3.

Was already thinking Moreno might get a start but now seeing Robbo isnt 100%, I think its a dead cert.

Wouldn't be surprised if Le Big Coq gets a start and scores - again.

Allison
TAA Gomez Matip/Lovren Moreno
Hendo Fabinho Milner
Salah Origi/Studge Shaq

Last edited:
Robo and Mane looks they’ll miss this game out injured. Robo needs a rest regardless. Moreno should
be good enough for this game and also Matip.
TAA,Matip, Virgil,Moreno the back four. Hendo,Fabinho,Milner midfield with Shaq,Salah,Sturridge up
front. 2-0 win reds.

LFCFFC

Not at all underestimating Burnley as it's been a tricky game for us these last couple of years, but I'd agree with the prevailing thought on here and give Bobby a rest. Despite Origi's heroics, I still think Studge offers us more as a starter. Belgium's best striker could then come on and cause chaos in the later stages of the game (although fingers crossed we aren't chasing another winning goal).

Assuming Robbo and Mane are also outs, I guess Moreno starts and Shaq moves out wide. Hopefully Albie can keep his head and buys in with this newfound defensive solidarity.

Incognito

The Normal One
As long as we have the CB pairing of Gomez - VVD, I'll be happy with any lineup. With Moreno possibly going to feature in, hope we do not make any further tweaks in the back line.

jaffod

With another game at Bournemouth less than 72 hours later I think heavy rotation is unavoidable, even at the back which is always risky. Moreno looks likely to start and I'd go with Lovren and Matip at CB. If they can't come in and do a job at a woeful Burnley then they have no business being here in January. Trent to keep his place.
Hendo, Milner and Keita in the middle with Shaqiri, Salah and either Div or Sturridge up top. Burnley have given up something like 138 goal attempts in their last 6 games, that's relegation form right there, so you've got to fancy us to get a couple at least.
Highly unlikely JK will make that many changes but the schedule is brutal atm and it's time the fringe players stepped up and took some of the pressure off.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Alisson
Hendo Gomez VVD Moreno
Shaq Fabinho Wij Lallana
Bobby
Salah

GermanRed

Additionally to my 'we need 6 points from Burnley and Bournemouth' post

City to play away to Watford and at Stamford Bridge this week. At least it looks like they could drop some points on paper and we could have the same number of points by the end of the week.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We play Wednesday against Burnley and then early kickoff on Saturday against Bournemouth? Didn't realise Man City had sorted out the scheduler early in the season with cans of oil. Talk about rig fixtures.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Every game from now is important to us.
Burnley are an ugly side and i wish they join stoke by the end of the season.
My team would be:
.................AB.................
TAA....JG...VVD...AD
...XS....FAB.....NK
MS...RF...SM

Hopefully we can get the job done early and rest our players for Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.