• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Cardiff City v Liverpool (EPL 21/04/19 KO 16:00)

RedForever2014

It'll be tough given their position, their win in the week and their manager's mentality. At least we have had three days rest, and have a near fully fit squad.

We're going to have to win every game to win the PL it seems, and in any case we can't know whether we have an opportunity to drop points ourselves until City drop points in two matches.

So even if City drop points tomorrow, Cardiff is a must win, especially as it falls between City's two toughest matches.

With five days until Huddersfield, it's more about who is fit after Wednesday than who needs to be rested for Huddersfield.

Personally I can't see a starting 11 in forthcoming matches coming from beyond a group of 15 outfield players - TAA, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, VVD, Robertson, Fab, Gini, Milner, Hendo, Keita, Bobby, Mane, Mo, Origi (as the only viable starting rotation option for the front three).

IMO Lallana and Shaqiri don't offer enough to justify leaving any of the above out, Sturridge doesn't have the physical capability to start anymore, Oxlade isn't fit enough and Moreno isn't good enough over using Milner to rest Robertson.

On Sunday I'd perhaps be looking to use the current first choice defence, front three and Fab, Hendo, Keita.

There's perhaps an opportunity to rest full backs and a forward against Huddersfield, plus rotate midfield.

Sidwishus

What Wigan have just done to Leeds with 10 men hopefully will serve as a reminder (if one were needed) of how dangerous/unpredictable those scrapping for their lives are. Will be a proper battle with these i reckon. COYR!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Basically the only real doubt is who starts at LCM, we have 3 realistic options for that spot. I'd bring Keita back in for Gini (level dropped a bit lately). Looking forward to giving Gomez more minutes if we can, though Lovren might be a more useful option here to come off the bench with their set-piece threat. Maybe he's in with a shout to start. Shame that the game in Barca will most probably come too soon for Gomez to sneak his way back in alongside Virgil. But options are looking better with every game now, hopefully no serious injuries for these final few games.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
After what feels like an age, and after an interminable rounds of tortuous negotiations, I've succeeded in arriving at an amicable settlement with the Mem. For her part, albeit through gritted teeth, she has agreed not to exact physical retribution against a certain poster of this parish, at least not until after the end of the season, and then only if events do not transpire in our favour. Boudicca's matched pair of Purdeys will remain under lock and key, as will her arsenal of pig sticking paraphernalia. The only prairie oysters she will prepare will be of the genera bovine, ovine, or porcine.

For my part, I've promised Boudica that I'll not to have the cesspit drained, at least not until after the end of the season, and then only if events transpire in our favour.

The settlement of the "Musa sapientum fixa cutis"©™ problem, has now been achieved. And here is the paper which bears her name upon it, as well as mine ...

... Peace in our times, etc. etc.

Anybody not requiring dunnekin diving lessons, take one step forwards. Not so fast @cynicaloldgit .

This Sunday it's going to be a tough ask against Cerrrdiffff (the chav centre of Wales). The ref, martin "the Anti-Scouse" atkinson will, no doubt, afford warnock's bootboys the freedom of the park to kick seven bells out of our lads. Decisions in our favour will be as rare as rocking horse droppings. To top it all Lawro has predicted a 2 - 0 win for us. He just can't help trying to jinx us, can he, the bastard.

Hopefully his attempted kiss of death won't throw a spanner in the works and upset the apple-cart. :rolleyes:

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :shocked:

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
What Wigan have just done to Leeds with 10 men hopefully will serve as a reminder (if one were needed) of how dangerous/unpredictable those scrapping for their lives are. Will be a proper battle with these i reckon. COYR!
Yep, too many overly confident fans here. Its going to be a slog on Sunday.

Also, i'm really uneasy about giving out shit to City fans at the moment. Too much potential to come back and bite us on the arse. Happy to wait until we've lifted the League and Champions league double. Then ill be mouthing off everywhere. I've got 29 years of abuse and suffering to get out my system.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Yep, too many overly confident fans here. Its going to be a slog on Sunday.

Also, i'm really uneasy about giving out shit to City fans at the moment. Too much potential to come back and bite us on the arse. Happy to wait until we've lifted the League and Champions league double. Then ill be mouthing off everywhere. I've got 29 years of abuse and suffering to get out my system.
Completely agree with you and @Sidwishus. Cardiff will be dangerous and fighting for everything. No need for us to get cocky. Nothing wrong with being confident but we need to remain focused and rlnotvgetvahead of ourselves. Nothing is in the bag yet. COYR!

XMarlin

Haven't had time to post recently...but have a few minutes now....

Based here in the States I have to take the game as I see it.

First of all...

Last 3 matches were Graeme Lesaux free...

Didn't have to listen to that dipshit whine and complain for over 6 hours of television coverage.

Secondly...we won all three matches.

There is nothing more comforting in my life than knowing that

1) United are eliminated from winning a Premier League title and Champions League title and, City are eliminated from the CL.

Would I like more...?

Of course...

But for now I am a very happy Liverpool fan...

However it ends...I am content in knowing that I'm a fan of the best team in English Football and surrounded by the best fans.

Cardiff won't roll over...they'll do their best to acquit themselves...

I'd love us to run over them but I'll settle for 3 points....

YNWA

Gazmaninaus

After the recent run we have achieved I’m hoping for a win and a Man City life loss. Anyway I think overall the team has achieved a monstrous year. Still in the hunt with 4 games to go. Normally we’re hoping for a top four spot by October. Semi of the CL. Great year so far. Keep going lads. It must be difficult mustering up to playing Cardiff after travelling and winning in Porto.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

Nur der BvB09

I have seen so much drama, I just want one game in the league where it is normal, just once. I will be seeing high drama when we play Barcelona.
The game against barca will be one to remember in a very positive way. The bigger the so called the best Teams are which confront us the more they fall down cause there is where our Players smell blood. it suits us perfectly.

PoolSince70

I dreamt the headlines read like this on 22 April 19: ManCity 1, Spur 2, Cardiff 1, Liverpool 4.

Table:
1. Liverpool: Played:35, Won:27; Drew:7; Lost 1; Points: 88
2. Man City: Played:34, Won:27; Drew:2; Lost:5; Points: 83

May my dream come true! Amen

Last edited:

Sidwishus

I know we're not supposed to but I worry about Spurs today given what I've just read from Poch.

"With all the circumstances and some injuries, maybe we need to think about playing with younger players, not without experience, but with plenty of energy and keeping the same ideas - to be brave and try to compete".

Its getting beyond a joke all this. I have a life (of sorts) I really should be getting back to.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
That's it Maria. And now remember, if you start having chest pains and shortness of breath that's a tooooootally normal reaction and there is no need to panic. Watch it with a neutral close friend or family thats been medically trained and you will be just fine and remember, that's why our good friend the defibrillator was invented.
Alternatively smoke a joint or two. Weed tends to lower your heartbeat down. Then watch our game. You can even afford to have a few pints or shots during the drink if you started it off half hour before with 2 joints. No way you get heart attack.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Nearly back on our perch....
I felt exactly the same too. As long as no big mistake, we should be home dry.
That's it Maria. And now remember, if you start having chest pains and shortness of breath that's a tooooootally normal reaction and there is no need to panic. Watch it with a neutral close friend or family thats been medically trained and you will be just fine and remember, that's why our good friend the defibrillator was invented.
Nurse! Nurse! Please come quickly!The palpitations are happening again... :well done:lol

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I know we're not supposed to but I worry about Spurs today given what I've just read from Poch.

"With all the circumstances and some injuries, maybe we need to think about playing with younger players, not without experience, but with plenty of energy and keeping the same ideas - to be brave and try to compete".

Its getting beyond a joke all this. I have a life (of sorts) I really should be getting back to.
Spurs have a load of injuries and a thin squad. They will have to put out a weakened team whether they or we like it or not. We should just be thankful that they got through on Wednesday because at least that should give them some confidence going into today.

Bottom line is we can't control what happens to City so it's pointless worrying about it. If we don't beat Cardiff it's all irrelevant anyway. Win our games and hope for the best is all we can do.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Bobby and Henderson to start this one with the rest the same as yesterday,they'll try the dirty fucking stuff as that's all they've got under old shithead Worzel but we'll have far too much ball and two goals in each half so a healthy 4-0 victory to us,overall another fucking poor performance all round. :cheers:

SMASH. THEM. THEY. ARE. SHIT.
That's all that needs saying really, but I'l add my tuppence worth.

Jurgen, staff, do your stuff on team selection and tactics. Players, keep it up.

COYR YNWA

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Alternatively smoke a joint or two. Weed tends to lower your heartbeat down. Then watch our game. You can even afford to have a few pints or shots during the drink if you started it off half hour before with 2 joints. No way you get heart attack.
I wouldn't know Eddie, I never saw a joint until I was on a uni field trip to Wales, one fellow student used to add the black stuff in his roll up cigarette, me and my friend thought it was a funny smelling liquorice he was adding. lol

RedForever2014

I dreamt the headlines read like this on 22 April 19: ManCity 1, Spur 2, Cardiff 1, Liverpool 4.

Table:
1. Liverpool: Played:35, Won:27; Drew:7; Lost 1; Points: 88
2. Man City: Played:34, Won:27; Drew:2; Lost:5; Points: 83

May my dream come true! Amen
I have a daydream too...

"City lose to Spurs, we beat Cardiff, City lose to United, we beat Huddersfield, leaving us 8 points clear before City play Burnley.

That leaves City needing to win all three of their remaining matches and us needing to lose our two remaining matches, for us not to win the PL.

City beat Burnley but draw with Leicester in the lunchtime kickoff before we play Newcastle.

Brendan Rodgers, having suffered the pain of being Liverpool manager last time we got close to the title, but lost out to City, gets his catharsis by being on the touchline at the Etihad the day City lose the title to Liverpool.

Having won the league, Klopp sends out a mostly second string at Newcastle on Saturday evening, resting his starting 11 for the Barcelona match.

Eager to get match fitness and challenge for places on the bench for the CL semi second leg, the second string get a draw.

By sheer coincidence, or maybe fate, another ex Liverpool manager who got close to the title, Rafa Benitez, gets to be the first to shake our manager's hand at becoming champions. After the final whistle, he joins the celebrations at the away end.

A rested 11 take to the field against Barcelona the following Tuesday, at a raucous celebratory Anfield, and swept along by emotion clinch a Champions League final place.

The Wolves match the following Sunday is a celebration of what has been achieved and what may yet come.

Our revitalised captain lifts the PL trophy, knowing that in three weeks time he may have the chance to banish the ghosts of Kiev."

You've got to dream, even though we all know the reality will be much tougher and may yet not yield us either trophy.

Let's hope, at least, that we keep winning our matches, and make City have to win all theirs to win it.

Good luck to the lads on Sunday.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Have the feeling City will win by 3 or 4 goals today.