PRE-MATCH CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL 2019 - Liverpool Vs Spurs (UCL 8pm 1st June 2019), Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Our predictions and boasting will have zero effect on the outcome of the match. Different story if the team and staff get complacent and Klopp won't let that happen.
I'll go with the 2 - nil to the Redmen
I know you're right but I just don't want to have that feeling that we're heading for a fall because some of our support are getting a bit cocky.

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
On the off chance anyone is holidaying in Cancun, Mexico while the game is on, Mexican Reds (me, the wife, 2 kids another couple of reds we found and some Mexicans that are leaning towards us since we shat on Barca) are at Hooters Malecon from 12.30pm! 3 for 2 on beers and a party afterwards at mine if we win! I'll be wearing a Salah shirt and will probably stand out and be heard from outside the door.

BigJon

Of all the teams that started the competition - Spurs are the ones I would least like to face. They are inconsistent in form and cheating has been trained into them. They have many potential game changers - Moura, Ali, Son, Kane and Erikson. They are unpredictable and can beat anyone on a good day by fair or foul means.

Spurs have been lucky all through the competition - last minute goals, saved penalties, disallowed goals opponents drawing when they should have won etc etc. Typical of them.

Ajax were probably the better team in the semi and lost. - However I believe Klopp would have sussed out how to play against them and beat them - especially in the second half.

With most opponents this season Liverpool have had a game plan and usually it has worked - but as that brilliant NY Times article stated, there is 1 % in every game that is unknowable, that cannot be trained for or predicted. It is that 1% that Spurs are very good at creating and capitalising upon.

Klopp and his team are going to have to earn every penny of their wages to win this - it is by no means going to be a walkover. I would go so far as to say this is one of the most difficult matches he has had to prepare for. The biggest advantage he has is that his team did it all last year - they know the sour taste of defeat and that alone should be enough to get them over the line.

Dane

NEXT!
Best night of my life probably, and I was only a kid.

If we beat Tottenham I'm going to end up in a flood of drunken tears surrounded by my best mates and an absolute mess before going out to celebrate with half of Liverpool. I can't wait.
No shame in that mate.

Despite being resigned to City beating Brighton on the last day, I still found myself choking back tears on the Kop at the end of the Wolves when YNWA was being sung.
My throat felt like I'd swallowed a fucking house brick

Drunken tears after winning are better :-)

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nothing beats Istanbul and I don't know if anything will. The peak was Smicer's goal for me. Gerrard's was a bit of hope (but not enough for me to believe in a miracle), but like one guy in the studio said "the second is the most important, then the third goes it by itself" (it was a little bit like this against Barca, I was happy for us to keep a clean sheet and the 1-0 until 15-20 minutes to go, just keep solid and give them the longest night in their lives). The way we quickly scored the second one in Istanbul. I was in bits and tears, couldn't believe it, was already right at that moment so proud of our team (even if we went and still lost from then on) and was sure that now we had them (at least for a little period). At penalties I was already aware, we are so close now and could win it. Paid £330 (that's a lot where I come from, basically one average monthly wage) for my Kop ticket against Barca, less than an hour before the start. Was thinking to do it or not. Especially when I saw our line up. But with Liverpool... win or lose, I'm always sure of a huge reaction when we are in a deep hole, that we can shock the world and make everyone proud. That's what I couldn't get out of my mind "it's Liverpool, it's us, you cannot write us off... what if?". I was sure Anfield would be rocking (that alone was worth being part of and give my 1% through all my voice) and we might just provide a war/fireworks on the pitch and win the game (though perhaps not qualify). Had the same proud feeling in that 4-4 game at the Bridge in the CL, just days after Hillsborough. Without some key players. So close to another miracle. Numerous nights, games to remember, some of the best games overall in football, trips, stories to tell, little details. It's in our culture, it's the best feeling. I'm usually more of a realist, but in this particular case I'm almost convinced we will win in Madrid. Time to grab it and really not let it slip.

Last edited:

Livvy

Alles wird gut

Good interview with our "very own Pep", and then I, of course, had to watch the video inside again, tbf can't wait, these weeks before the final feel like months.

richieh10

I remember Istanbul....
How crazy it was.

The most mental part for me was Dida saving Xabi pen and the. The rebound being stuck in.

Fuck me when we’re awarded the pen it was ecstasy... when Dida saved it.... complete agony and then the second later whenthe rebound went in I went FUCKING BONKERS.

Let’s hope it’s a bit less nervy on Saturday. I dunno if I could take it.

jaffod

Anyone else think the bookies have got this right? Looking at WH it's hardly worth Spurs turning up. They've got us at 88/100 to win in 90 minutes with Spurs 10/3. We're 1/2 to lift the trophy and Spurs are 13/8. They seem insane odds to me in a 2 horse race.
I can't believe there's been a bigger favourite with the bookies in a CL final than us next week. I make us slight favourites but I can't get my head around that at all.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Anyone else think the bookies have got this right? Looking at WH it's hardly worth Spurs turning up. They've got us at 88/100 to win in 90 minutes with Spurs 10/3. We're 1/2 to lift the trophy and Spurs are 13/8. They seem insane odds to me in a 2 horse race.
I can't believe there's been a bigger favourite with the bookies in a CL final than us next week. I make us slight favourites but I can't get my head around that at all.
That is especially odd when you remember that bookies are not necessarily making a precise estimation of the relative probabilities of a pair of outcomes. They are laying a price based on that estimate that is intended to balance the book - all things being equal, you would expect a more broadly-supported club that was the favourite to get poorer odds, not better, as the book is priced to pull neutrals to the underdog side of the ledger.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
That is especially odd when you remember that bookies are not necessarily making a precise estimation of the relative probabilities of a pair of outcomes. They are laying a price based on that estimate that is intended to balance the book - all things being equal, you would expect a more broadly-supported club that was the favourite to get poorer odds, not better, as the book is priced to pull neutrals to the underdog side of the ledger.
It's reports and messages like this of how the bookies are heavily favouring us over the Spuds that make me even more nervous as hell. I think for the past few weeks I should have gone into hibernation and saved myself from the anxiety that I'm going through. I can't wait for the final whistle to blow in Madrid to be rid of this growing torment. Cup of sweet tea anyone?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
At those odds, I may have a few quid on Spurs just to offset the pain if we lose. Its a win win really. We win in 90 mins and I wont give fuck about the money, we lose and at least I will have made a few bob.

RodM

14 years ago today.

I'd just been thinking about that one. At the time we were living in Scotland but were going to a wedding on the day before the match in Saarland in Southern Germany. I ended up watching the match in the bar above the local fire station (the friend we were staying with was a volunteer fireman). At half time they gave me a consolation beer as we all assumed that the match was effectively over. During the second half they were screaming us on and after the penalty shoot out they cracked open a bottle of Champaign which had been kept for a special occasion. Unfortunately, the "bubbly" was as flat as a pancake but it didn't sour the celebrations.

This time I will be going to a funeral in Liverpool on 31st and due to the cost of flights in and out of the North-West that weekend I've arranged to watch the match round at my brother's flat on the Saturday. I'm not sure whether that bookending of life events has any baring on expectations but this time I think we are seen as the genuine favourites rather than plucky outsiders.

I expect that most neutral fans (with the exception of Arsenal) will probably be supporting Spurs which is fair enough - if it was me I would probably be rooting for the new boys rather than the old hands. For us, I think we need only concentrate on our game plan and ensure that we enter the game as level headed and fresh as possible. The three week gap is probably a bit longer than we would have liked although it does give players time to recover from end-of-season knocks. At the moment, Spurs fans seem to be concerned as to whether Harry Kane will be fit. I don't see any advantage to him starting because even if he is over his injury at that time he is unlikely to be match fit.

In terms of the team, Allison will start in goal and I'd go for Robbo, VVD, Matip and Trent across the back. Matip has been in great form recently and I like to see two tall centre backs together simply because it is an intimidating presence for any opposing forwards.

The front three will hopefully be Mane, Bobby and Salah. If Firmino isn't fit then I would look to Origi but keep to a 4-3-3 formation.

The midfield perplexes me but I'd have Fabinho, Hendo and Gini across the middle.

The subs bench will be critical and we can rely on Milner and Gomez to cover any of the defensive options. In terms of attacking subs, it will probably come down to who is fully fit.

So I'm reasonably confident going into this game. We have been there before (recently) and I doubt any of our regular players will be phased by the occasion. For Spurs, this is all new territory and, whilst I don't expect them to be rabbits in the headlights, they will be learning on the job. I expect them to come out full throttle so it's the calm heads - the van Dykes of the team - that will be critical.

Whatever happens, in the words of the late, great Douglas Adams: "DON'T PANIC!"

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Totally agree . Would put it at 55%-45% to us. The 2 games against us we close. We were the better side at Wembley and probably should have been out of sight before spurs pulled it back to 2-1 and then they should really have gotten a pen for the foul on song

At anfield we battered them in the 1st half. Should really have been a few ahead. Spurs controlled the 2nd half and deserved to equalise though that equaliser shouldn't have counted as the ball was moving. Spurs then went on to miss two easy chances before we won it with a flukey og

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
I think the odds are just about right. Even though it's a cup final , a one-off , anything could happen game ...... the fact remains we beat them twice already this season and finished 20 odd points better off ; and most neutrals would say that man for man we are the better team.

scouseheadross

Septical
One thing in our favour is Klopps experience. His 4th CL final? Pochetino is referring to a Copa liberatadores final 25yrs ago in his interviews.

Also the fact that there will be 65,000 scousers in the stadium and only 2,000 Londoners. Anfield home legs always help.

Now we just need Collina for ref to make sure it's a fair fight.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
At those odds, I may have a few quid on Spurs just to offset the pain if we lose. Its a win win really. We win in 90 mins and I wont give fuck about the money, we lose and at least I will have made a few bob.
Said before that this dude has me on ignore.
Someone please tell him to get a grip. Betting against your team is sacrilegious, it should never happen.

GermanRed

If Keita and Ox are 100% fit, how would that impact on selection?
No way will Keita be on 100%. But I can still see him get a seat on the 12 men bench.

Ox' role? Maybe he will come on if we are 2 goals up or in extra time he could be our fourth sub.

jaffod

Said before that this dude has me on ignore.
Someone please tell him to get a grip. Betting against your team is sacrilegious, it should never happen.
Nah people are just different mate, some will put money on as a 'comforter' or as a way of putting the mockers on it if you are a particularly shit gambler. It's pretty common I think.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
No way will Keita be on 100%. But I can still see him get a seat on the 12 men bench.

Ox' role? Maybe he will come on if we are 2 goals up or in extra time he could be our fourth sub.
I said..."If Keita and Ox are 100% fit".
So if Ox is 100% fit he is a fourth choice sub? Interesting.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Nah people are just different mate, some will put money on as a 'comforter' or as a way of putting the mockers on it if you are a particularly shit gambler. It's pretty common I think.
Its like cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.