• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE-MATCH CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL 2019 - Liverpool Vs Spurs (UCL 8pm 1st June 2019), Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
Massive game now. Would be a real shame for this season to fizzle out without silverware, the lads & jurgen deserve soo much more!!

As for the final itself, I fly to palma with the parents & fiancée on Friday the 31st. If all goes as hoped with the ballot my plans are to fly from palma to Madrid Saturday morning & return back to palma first thing Sunday morning. If I don’t manage a ticket from the ballot then I’ll be watching the final in palma nova with the family.
you should book those flights now, prices are gonna be ridiculous closer to date

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
you know i have to say I'm really happy we have 3 weeks to prep, give klopp 3 weeks and it will ALWAYS result in a win. Put money o n it, i am. he had 7 days to prepare for the 2nd leg and look at what the boys produced. like I said elsewhere in these forums, if bobby is not fit, leave him out, he is way too important to risk further injury. the rest of the boys can get it done against spurs, a strong team yes, they are top4 after all, but we have spanked them twice this season already. aftwer training when they go home and sit down they get to think of what this Liverpool team has done this season, how many points behind us they were, and that we had only 1 loss at Anfield, and that we demolished Barcelona 4-0, they wont be ale to muster up the cojones to compete at our level. its just too demoralizing thinking about LFC for all opponents, in the CL we are the only club no one wants to face.

here is my starting 11:
Alisson
TAA, MAtip, VVD, robertson
hendo, fabinho, winajdum
Salah, Origi, Mane

Subs: Milner, ox, Lovren, GOmez, Sturridge, minolet, Shaquri

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Zac

Has anyone heard anything about if there will be big screens set up somewhere in Liverpool for the final, maybe the Echo Arena?

Also, I know there has been a lot of talk on here that because of the Take That concert on the 6th there won't be big screen at Anfield like we had last year......... but I wonder if this is correct, the final is 5 days before the concert, surely that is enough time to do whatever they need to do?

ABRed

We've conquered all of Europe.
Aren't we all.
I'd pay 500 max
Has anyone heard anything about if there will be big screens set up somewhere in Liverpool for the final, maybe the Echo Arena?

Also, I know there has been a lot of talk on here that because of the Take That concert on the 6th there won't be big screen at Anfield like we had last year......... but I wonder if this is correct, the final is 5 days before the concert, surely that is enough time to do whatever they need to do?
You'd like to think so but you know what like these pesky musicians are!

donks

TIA First Team
I hope Harry Kane starts the final, he will be nowhere near match fit and it will be like playing with 10 men for them.

Any news on Winks and Vertonghen for them? Both would be big losses.

This Liverpool group of players really need and deserve a trophy and the club as whole needs to banish the nearly men tag of the last 10 years and finally deliver on the big occasion.

Let's hope the hurt and experience of Kiev will drive these players to Number 6

RedForever2014

I read that there will be no screening at Anfield. This year the ground is already being prepared for the summer concerts.

Shame, I went last year and it was fantastic, like going to the match, except for the odd positioning of the screens, so the view wasn't great from my seat.

I read there will be a screening at the arena (was Echo now M&S). I watched the Europa League Final there in 2016 and it was ok, not as good as Anfield but ok.

Pubs are apparently charging to watch it.

Wherever you watch it, the atmosphere in Liverpool will be great. Reds everywhere last year.

Hotels have pretty much sold out.

RedForever2014

I hope Harry Kane starts the final, he will be nowhere near match fit and it will be like playing with 10 men for them.

Any news on Winks and Vertonghen for them? Both would be big losses.

This Liverpool group of players really need and deserve a trophy and the club as whole needs to banish the nearly men tag of the last 10 years and finally deliver on the big occasion.

Let's hope the hurt and experience of Kiev will drive these players to Number 6
Speaking of which, for our part, if Bobby is to play a part, we should start him. You don't want a player coming from the bench, breaking down, then using another sub to bring him off.

Clearly winning the thing after least year's hurt should be motive enough.

But playing a side from your own country adds another dimension, the loser has to suffer subsequent taunts twice a season.

Our boys should remember that as an additional motivator, our English boys more so, especially as they'll be in the England camp with the Spurs players a few days after the final.

I hope our boys realise that Kane, Ali and co aren't their mates. They'd do anything to cheat our lads out of it, and to make us suffer like last summer.

They should remember that the Spurs players reportedly were chuffed we lost in Kiev. Their fans definitely were.

So, on so many fronts, this time lets do it and give Spurs a taste of what it's like to lose and be mocked over it.

It would be poetic justice after the delight in the Spurs camp about Kiev.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Referee team appointed for UEFA Champions League final in Madrid
Tuesday 14 May 2019
Slovenia's Damir Skomina will take charge of the match between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

Damir Skomina will take charge of the UEFA Champions League final in Madrid©Sportsfile
The UEFA Referees Committee has announced that Damir Skomina will referee the 2019 UEFA Champions League final between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool. The match will be played at the Estadio Metropolitano in Madrid on Saturday 1 June at 21:00CET.
The 42-year-old Slovenian, an international referee since 2002, will have the opportunity to complete a prestigious European club competition "treble", as he has already officiated at the UEFA Europa League final between Ajax and Manchester United in 2017, as well as the UEFA Super Cup between Chelsea and Atlético in 2012. He also acted as fourth official at the 2013 UEFA Champions League final between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern München.
Skomina has taken charge of four UEFA Champions League matches this season, as well as two UEFA Europa League games.

At the final in Madrid, Skomina will be assisted by his countrymen Jure Praprotnik and Robert Vukan. The fourth official will be Antonio Mateu Lahoz from Spain. The video assistant referee role has been assigned to Danny Makkelie from the Netherlands, who will be supported by Pol van Boekel, Felix Zwayer, and Mark Borsch.
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2604901.html

He was the ref in our last group game as well. Don't remember anything too controversial in that match.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
They should remember that the Spurs players reportedly were chuffed we lost in Kiev. Their fans definitely were...It would be poetic justice after the delight in the Spurs camp about Kiev.
Where was this reported?

And no shit re the text in bold.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
I’m reading reports that the City players were singing derogatory songs about LFC after the Brighton game. Suggestions there were references to Hillsborough and Sean Cox. How professional of them, how sporting, how disgusting if true. City deny the reports, but then they would wouldn’t they. Shit like this should make the lads even more determined to win in Madrid,

POBox

TIA Reserve Team

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Corrupted UEFA favoring Liverpool?;-)
Think it has to do with the fans and who they may deem the bigger threat of trouble which you would assume is the sours fans as otherwise you would think they would have given them the home side of the ground as they were drawn as the home team. Generally the away fans are more policed so there would be a plan to get the away fans in and out without any trouble

LincsRed

Still havent seen a Klopp team blow away opponents in a final as we seem to be able to do regularly in the knockouts.

Now that may be because they’re one offs, but I would dearly love to see us have the confidence to give the game that 15-20 minute spell of total dominance where we score a hatful of goals and blow Spurs away!

Squad will be up for this one, no doubt

Incognito

The Normal One
Referee team appointed for UEFA Champions League final in Madrid
Tuesday 14 May 2019
Slovenia's Damir Skomina will take charge of the match between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

Damir Skomina will take charge of the UEFA Champions League final in Madrid©Sportsfile
The UEFA Referees Committee has announced that Damir Skomina will referee the 2019 UEFA Champions League final between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool. The match will be played at the Estadio Metropolitano in Madrid on Saturday 1 June at 21:00CET.
The 42-year-old Slovenian, an international referee since 2002, will have the opportunity to complete a prestigious European club competition "treble", as he has already officiated at the UEFA Europa League final between Ajax and Manchester United in 2017, as well as the UEFA Super Cup between Chelsea and Atlético in 2012. He also acted as fourth official at the 2013 UEFA Champions League final between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern München.
Skomina has taken charge of four UEFA Champions League matches this season, as well as two UEFA Europa League games.

At the final in Madrid, Skomina will be assisted by his countrymen Jure Praprotnik and Robert Vukan. The fourth official will be Antonio Mateu Lahoz from Spain. The video assistant referee role has been assigned to Danny Makkelie from the Netherlands, who will be supported by Pol van Boekel, Felix Zwayer, and Mark Borsch.
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2604901.html

He was the ref in our last group game as well. Don't remember anything too controversial in that match.
Wasn't Van Dijk's foul that could have been red in that game? If yes, I would be happy with this ref choice. Period.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
In my opinion, it has to be this:
Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Origi.

Not much room for changes really. Perhaps only in midfield with Millie being a strong candidate. Ox will hopefully be fit enough to keep the likes of Lallana and Sturridge out in the stands. But I'd start with this midfield 3. Will write a more detailed opinion in next days/weeks.

Red over the water

If Gomez had come back sooner, and had time to get into his groove, he might have got the nod to partner VVD, as going on the first half of the season their partnership is excellent. I can’t wait to see it resume next season. Gomez has the pace across the ground to keep up with Moura and Son, so I could understand his inclusion if he gets the nod, but it will probably be Matip, who has done very well in his absence.

Like everyone else I’m seeing the only midfield choice as between Milner and Wijnaldum. The latter’s two goals against Barcelona should probably see him start. Keita might have been in the conversation before Rakitic kicked him out for the season. He was starting to do well.

Up front it will be the usual three, unless Firmino isn’t fit, at which point Origi has earned his current status as first choice back up in that department.

Alisson
TAA Matip VVD Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

I’m expecting a very tough game. Spurs did very well at Anfield recently, and it was only a late goalkeeping howler that saw us win. They are very well coached and will be up for the fight. We have more pedigree, and that could be a factor on such a big stage, but I’m expecting a very tough game. I do think we will come out on top and bring number 6 home.

Joe Gomez x

Have to include Gini Wijnaldum over Milner because of that Barcelona performance.

This game will be difficult no doubt, with the pressure slightly on us by being the favourites we must be calm in this game. Spurs know us, our game plan and how we press. They will go long most of the game to counter our front threes pressing and maybe target Trent in the air against Kane?

Hope Kane starts and is rushed back as he will be off the ball and personally, even though his goal scoring record disagrees, Kane kills the pace on their side. I would be fearing a Son/Moura lineup more than a Son/Kane partnership.

We need to show up though to beat these otherwise we could face heart break on a otherwise brilliant season. Fancy us to win though but 2-1.

——————-Alisson—————
TAA——Matip——-VVD—-Robbo-
—————-Fabinho——————
———Hendo———-Gini————
-Salah——-Bobby——Mane——-

Unfortunately for Origi, Bobby takes his spot in my team. Think Bobby is more reliable and consistent in games and can play that role better than Origi/Mane.
Gomez losses out unfortunately as I think if Kane doesn’t start , he will be useful for his pace with Son and Lucas up top . If Kane does start Matip is a must for his added height.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
SO the last 10 matches vs SPurs, in all competitions, have resulted in 6 wins for Liverpool and 3 draws and 1 win for spurs. so we have owned them dating back to 2014, the CL Final is a different beast altogether, but i have every confidence in Our boys and Herr #Klopp, bringing this one home, last year's result didn't sit well with them and once again Liverpool is in another #Championsleague #final.

LIVERPOOL vs TOTTENHAM LAST 10

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
SO the last 10 matches vs SPurs, in all competitions, have resulted in 7 wins for Liverpool and 3 draws. so we have owned them dating back to 2014, the CL Final is a different beast altogether, but i have every confidence in Our boys and Herr #Klopp, bringing this one home, last year's result didn't sit well with them and once again Liverpool is in another #Championsleague #final.

LIVERPOOL vs TOTTENHAM LAST 10
I see you’ve wiped our 4-1 league defeat in October 2017 from your mind.

Wish I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.