PRE-MATCH: Chelsea v. Liverpool - EPL - Sat Sept 29 17:30 GMT

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
The lads will have their tails up for this one. Those smug pricks from London are trying to knock us off the top and we aren’t going to let them. Best part of it is, we can increase the gap on them to 5 points by beating them on their own ground

After this past Carabao Cup and the shambolic refereeing, I expect that whomever is in charge of this one to be a little more diplomatic in the balance of calls

Also expect Klopp to field our strongest possible team.

Shame I won’t be around to see this one, unless my future abode has a wifi connection

Pharaoh

Klopps and Robbers anyone?
The lads will have their tails up for this one. Those smug pricks from London are trying to knock us off the top and we aren’t going to let them. Best part of it is, we can increase the gap on them to 5 points by beating them on their own ground

After this past Carabao Cup and the shambolic refereeing, I expect that whomever is in charge of this one to be a little more diplomatic in the balance of calls

Also expect Klopp to field our strongest possible team.

Shame I won’t be around to see this one, unless my future abode has a wifi connection

Fairly sure it’s Andre Marriner.....

I’m confident of 3 points this time, assuming that the usual 11 play. If so, I predict a 3-1 win.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
A win here would be great, however in the long run of the league I don't think its vital, I'd be satisfied with a draw here and beat man city at home, that would set us up nicely indeed.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
No doubt it will be a completley changed back 5, doesn't seem to be any talk of VDV injury. Front 3 as per normal, only connundrum is midfield. Bit too early for Fabinho, who will become integral despite some criticism the other night, And Keita might need a few more weeks bedding in. It's most likely Gini, Milner and Hendo.
If Hendo can channel the wild aggression he showed the other night he will boss it. If he can't channel it he is a safe bet for our first red card of the season.
Shaqiri may be a new fans favourite but I think Klopp still has work to do with him.
Fingers crossed we get a bit of justice with officials, huge statement to win on Saturday.

YeGra

Tomorrow's game will be completely different. What I see in our league performances so far is an ability to control the game and it not be frantic. Wednesday was a return to the frantic wide open spaces affiliated with previous seasons. Our quality and maturity is better now, so Chelsea won't have it as easy.

Still, it's away this time and is probably the second hardest game of the season. League Cup isn't that important but its important to make a statement here. Can't let City or Chelsea in front.

LeoT

I'd probably start like this...

Alisson

Trent - Gomez - VvD - Robertson

Milner - Hendo - Gini

Salah - Bobby - Mane

It will finish ChavSki 1:3 Liverpool

Alonso will score in the first 5 min.
Mane will equalize with a tap-in in the 44th min.
Salah will miss his usual 1 sitter per game, but then will score 1 later in the game.
Lovren will come on in the last 10 minutes to ass height to the defense, and then score the 3rd from a 87th min corner.

...behold I have spoken :-)

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
It’s the full tilt 1-4-3-3 formation that we know and love. Our trident of terror upfront will rip them to shreads. I can see a tasty game though with cards flying and maybe a red. I’m looking at you Jordan, don’t kick Hazard to hard. Will leave the gags for the post match thread but I hope somebody make eden fall.....

Come on Liverpool, not a “must win” but certainly a “must not lose”. Would be a shame if both teams play for a draw and essentially shake hands at 70mins. Come on Mo, stand up and terrorise them :-)

This is a grudge match now :eh?: ooh it always was; I nearly hold them as bitter enemies as Manure, cannot stand the club, and its fans might be slightly worse than our adversaries along the east lancs road. So its definitely gloves off. I think it will be a draw with many cards and regrettably the stretcher. I hope the FA saw Weds nights debacle and deploy a suitably impartial representative.

Allisson
TAA-Gomez-VVD-Robertson
Milner-Gini
Keita
Salah-Firmino-Mane

I think Weds night has slightly affected our perceptions, unjustifiably so, and whatever, that was a tight game at times. We nearly put it to bed and were on top, then Chelsk call in a favour, get a free kick and a waiver on 3 offsides and are back in the game. Even if that was the turning point, there were periods when they looked really good, especially when Faberge was directing play. So we'll need our A++ game and this will be the first riser of the season. To see what we've really got in the tank; all those calls for us winning without hitting form need to come home tomorrow and we need to utterly terrorise them. I would admit to being apprehensive. Did I say I hate CFC :unhappy:

redaderry

Alisson

Milner - Hendo - Gini

Salah - Bobby - Mane

It will finish ChavSki 1:3 Liverpool

Alonso will score in the first 5 min.
Mane will equalize with a tap-in in the 44th min.
Salah will miss his usual 1 sitter per game, but then will score 1 later in the game.
Lovren will come on in the last 10 minutes to ass height to the defense, and then score the 3rd from a 87th min corner.

This is the line up for me :well done:
And I look forward to seeing Lovren assing some height to the defence lol

Commando

I would love Jurgen to use his presser to highlight the iniquities of Tuesday night's refereeing display. Everything about the first goal (from the none free kick awarded to the offsides), but more importantly the yellows given to our lads that were not awarded to the Chelsea lot for similar infractions.
Let's get our poor deal from referees talked about in the press, instead of it being brushed under the carpet by the media.

Oh.........BTW let's smash these plastics.

RodM

Alisson

Milner - Hendo - Gini

Salah - Bobby - Mane

I think that's the starting lineup I'd pick. I suspect that Milner and/or Henderson will be subbed at some point as they were both involved on Wednesday - possibly for Keita.

dockers_strike

Am I hearing VVD is out since he hasn’t trained this week. That will change the defensive line.
Yep, it's looking like he's not fit to play which is going to be a massive blow. I would not want to go into this game with Matip and Lovren as the CB pairing. Id be apprehensive with Joe alongside either of those two as well. Not because of any issue with Joe, I just think Matip especially has been very poor recently and to my knowledge, he hasnt played as Lovren's partner.

From being confident before the southampton game and the loss of Virgil, Im more than a bit concerned now.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
On a positive note, cheatski's twelfth man, Keniving Fiend, won't be playing for them.

The ref is Andre Marriner..............................................:eh?:

This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! :rolleyes: (well someone had to say it)

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :shocked:

RedYank

I will be on a 5-hour flight when this one kicks off. Will be furiously trying to get a live stream (fingers crossed)!

But will be in clad in my away shirt, so as to piss of any Blues who might be on board.

Here's to 7 straight!

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
Van Dijk possibly missing is a huge blow, we just don't look solid at the back without him. He has become our defensive lynchpin particularly at set pieces. This is the first time this season in the PL I've felt apprehensive about tomorrow.

RodM

Van Dijk possibly missing is a huge blow, we just don't look solid at the back without him. He has become our defensive lynchpin particularly at set pieces.
I actually thought Gomez and Matip looked pretty competent together against Southampton but I appreciate the point about set pieces. It's not ideal but we should be able to cope with single changes to the preferred starting line-up.

(Incidentally - my spell-checker picked up on spelling linchpin as lynchpin. Lynchpin sounds a bit menancing - I like it!)

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
I actually thought Gomez and Matip looked pretty competent together against Southampton but I appreciate the point about set pieces. It's not ideal but we should be able to cope with single changes to the preferred starting line-up.

(Incidentally - my spell-checker picked up on spelling linchpin as lynchpin. Lynchpin sounds a bit menancing - I like it!)
Gomez has looked impressive. Hopefully we can keep Hazard and Giroud - if he plays quiet, he seems to cause us problems. With our usual front three back if we get chances unlike Wednesday with any luck we can take them.

Red over the water

If Van Dijk misses that’s a big blow. He is the authority in that back line and we look a different team with him. That said, Gomez and Matip looked quite good, and with the fullbacks coming back and Alisson in goal it will be a much improved back line from Wednesday.

The front three will be much improved with all main men back in the side up front.

As for the midfield, it should be Henderson and Wijnaldum, then I’m not sure between Keita and Milner. Might depend on fitness. Milner has played a lot of football already though, so he might miss out, but it would be no surprise to see him in there again.

Can’t wait for this one. Chelsea are very good under Sarri and there is mutual respect there between managers. It will be a good game. I fancy our chances to win away.

LeoT

I'd like us to win by a controversial and fucked up goal against these lunging dirty cavemen.
Yes, maybe Hendo slides in and takes a lump out of Hazard in our penalty area, 5 minutes into the game, but the ref books Hazard for diving (ignoring Hazard's torn sock and the blood on Hendo's studs).
Hazard gets angry at the injustice, shouts at the ref, who then issues him a 2nd yellow.

Then at 1:1 with 10 seconds left of stoppage time,
David Luiz tries an overhead kick whilst defending a corner and accidentally kicks his own keeper in the head, the ref sees this as a dangerous kick, awards a penalty to Liverpool (though it was their own player who was hurt by the "dangerous play"), and issues a straight Red to David Luiz.
Chavs have already used all 3 subs so Pedro goes in goal, ...up steps Milner, ...it ends 2:1 to Liverpool

Gazmaninaus

Leo. Considering the boots and all football we seem to play. Your narrative is highly plausible. In fact bloody likely.

YeGra

Looking like Gomez and Matip tomorrow as the pair. Gomez will be fine. Matip will have to step up and to be fair he hasn't looked too bad in the games he's played so far. VvD is still a big loss for a game that will require top defending.

FilthyBloke

Hoping for a win. Without VVD it’ll be difficult.
I’m going to go for 1-1, possibly Chelsea to nick it as hazard is on fire.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Looking like VVD is out.
Huge blow, this. Luckily, Gomez and Matip have already some playing time together. Klopp will probably go with that pair. It's a bit early for Lovren to play two full games within three days, and the Gomez/Matip pair did well against Southampton.

Otherwise, we'll see the same team as in the second half against Southampton I presume. Shaqiri won't start this one, that's for sure. Remains to be seen whether Milner will be fit enough to start though. He looked knackered when he went off on Wednesday night.