Pre Match Everton v Liverpool (EPL 03/03/2019 16.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donks

TIA First Team
Lets get this thread started, just over 48 hours to the biggest derby since the 80's.

I guess every game is a must win between now and the end of the season but this has that bit extra to it being against those bitter blueshites.

It's all well and good beating Bournemouth and Watford at home but this is a real test and a victory here would be a real statement of intent. The next 4 games are crucial, we have a tough block of 4 where as City have a relatively easy block. If we are still ahead after the next 4 games, I really believe it is our year.

Id imagine Bobby will comeback into the team and maybe Henderson for Milner.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I think Fabinho, Gini and Keita has to become the 3 for all games that they are fit for, till the end of the season. We simply have to win games, and having Hendo or Milner in for any of those 3 makes it look less creative and much more conservative. The only way that changes is when Ox is fit. Then we have a superb dilemma.
We need to win on Sunday, irrespective of how City do on Saturday. We wont win a battle with them, but we can out football them. If Firmino isnt fit maybe Origi, but I would prefer Shaqiri and Mane central.
All big games now, positivity is required.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
I'd be happy with the same team again, though I could see Keita or Hendo potentially coming in for Milner. Firmino also likely to start in place of Origi (with Mane moving back wide) providing his ankle is ok, but we'll see.

No need to fear them, Watford will have reminded the players what they're capable of and provided a much-needed shot of confidence.

If we go 3 up, which is more than possible, would like to see us withdraw Salah, no sense risking one of those alehouse challenges taking him out.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
If we go 3 up, which is more than possible, would like to see us withdraw Salah, no sense risking one of those alehouse challenges taking him out.
Fair point. But......
I think we are over playing the concern regarding how other teams rough up Liverpool players. It makes us look like tarts that are always whining about protection from refs. Yes, Salah gets a bit of attention but so does Aguero, Hazard etc.
We just need our players (some) to be a bit of a bollox in the tackle.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Fair point. But......
I think we are over playing the concern regarding how other teams rough up Liverpool players. It makes us look like tarts that are always whining about protection from refs. Yes, Salah gets a bit of attention but so does Aguero, Hazard etc.
We just need our players (some) to be a bit of a bollox in the tackle.
The difference is I suspect, based on past history, that Everton will look to nobble at least one of our players to harm our title challenge, because they're cunts.

If we're in a position where Salah isn't needed on the pitch makes sense to protect him a bit.

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
I'd be happy with the same team again, though I could see Keita or Hendo potentially coming in for Milner. Firmino also likely to start in place of Origi (with Mane moving back wide) providing his ankle is ok, but we'll see.

No need to fear them, Watford will have reminded the players what they're capable of and provided a much-needed shot of confidence.

Wouldn't you keep Mané in the same position considering he was very attacking? He ran Watford ragged, mind you so did everyone else.

RodM

Now, more seriously, I think this one will come down to who is available.

The defence should be reasonable enough with Allison, Robbo, VVD, Matip and Trent. Even if Lovren is fit again I wouldn't risk starting him.

Up front, I would take a similar approach and not start with Firmino even if he is fit. Start him on the bench and see how things go. After the Watford game I'd be really tempted to go with Mane in the no 9 role although the element of surprise will have probably gone from that and I expect Everton to defend in numbers.

Midfield would be Fabinho, Gini and 1 other - possibly Shaq to start? The only element of the Watford game I felt needing improvement was our left had side although that did improve as the game progressed.

Ideal result for us? 3 points, no injuries, no red cards.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Wouldn't you keep Mané in the same position considering he was very attacking? He ran Watford ragged, mind you so did everyone else.
I did say I'd be happy to keep the same side as against Watford. If fit Bobby will come in, though, and imo he's nowhere near as effective when playing wide.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think the only question will be if it's Milner or Henderson, that might be a close call which could depend on which side we want to protect with which player, experience in position, etc. I think Millie could well keep his place after our performance (probably the best in a while, since Arsenal) in midweek, with Bobby being our only change. Hendo played against United as the RCM, while against Watford Millie was the LCM. I'd also like Gini at RCM for more protection for Trent on that side where Everton have more mobility/pace (Digne, Bernard, Richarlison playing in that channel against Matip, etc.). Millie also has more experience playing one of the advanced #8's in a 3 under Klopp than Hendo.

Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Wijnaldum Fabinho Milner
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Henderson, Keita, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi.​

Last edited:

Scott Jones

Blunt
If Pickford was in goal for Watford in our last game we'd have have won 14-0,so if we put in a performance anywhere near what we did then it's a slam dunk,it'll be goals to nil for us so it's all about how many we'll score,i'll go with 3.

Notasuperfan

The midfield will largely be fine if Fabinho is in it. The gk and defenders department will be fine with VVD, Robbo, TAA and Alisson Becker in it.

The issues that will keep Klopp awake at night are the offensive options in the midfield and the forward line. There are still 2 positions left in the midfield. If Gini is fully fit, he will occupy one slot. So where does the other slot go to? If AOC is fit, he will take up that spot. However, he is still probably 5 more gameweeks left to being named on the bench.

Serious contenders for that starting slot will be Milner, Keita, Henderson and Shaqiri. Knowing the blues, they will park double-deckers and try to catch us on the counter which means the midfield will need to help with supplying balls into our forwards while our full-backs pin their wingers back.

Klopp has a bad dilemma. Does he start Milner again in a space of 3 days and not take into consideration Milner's age? Does he start with Keita who is starting to grow but still not quite adapted to the league? Does he start with Henderson who did well against Manure but offer very little offensively as a number 8 under Klopp? Does he start Shaqiri who has the ability to unlock defenses at the risk of disrupting the midfield balance?

And then for the forwards. It is clear Salah is unplayable on the right with TAA working with him which is going to be the case. And now we have 2 slots up for grabs. For the CF spot and LW spots, they are good problems. On the CF spot, Mane has showed he is an able number 9 with the same amount of inventiveness as Firmino. As for the LW, Origi will be a strong contender for it should Firmino be not passed fit to play.

Let's hope there is no injury after this game with the blues! Try not to get a red card, boys.

RedForever2014

The back five obviously remains the same, whilst Fabinho, Gini, Mane and Salah should be taking four of the six midfield/attack positions.

That leaves two from Henderson, Milner, Bobby and Keita. Given that he hasn't played much the last few matches, I guess Keita is not likely to start, whilst I wouldn't start Shaqiri or Origi (nor Lallana and Sturridge).

I can understand the temptation to use Henderson given his experience of these matches, but our worst performances recently have been with him in the side.

We have to keep winning to not give control to City, so have to ensure we have enough to break them down.

I'd probably go with the same line up as Wednesday, but with Bobby for Origi.

santana

my selection 4231 smart set
in case firmino not fit
Alisson
TAA VVD Matip Robertson
Fabinho Gini
Milner Keita Mane
Salah

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Origi give Klopp a real headache, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start, with Firmino on the bench. Big Div always gets in their heads, which is a bonus.

Alisson
Trent Matip Van Dyke Robbo
Fabinho
Wijnaldum Keita
Salah Mane Origi
I suspect Klopp might want to get one of Hendo or Milner on the pitch, but it’s a big ask to expect Milner to go again after Wednesday. And Fabinho and Wijnaldum have developed a wonderful understanding with each other, that I wouldn’t break up.

Besides I like to see the armband on that gorgeous, Dutch bicep...where was I?

From this point is just about getting over the line. To room for ego and personal success. Salah should be asked to stay wide and keep the pitch wide, as he did on Wednesday. Bobby will come on for the last 30. Nobody will have any complaints if they are holding a title medal in May.

Red over the water

Same team, or possibly Henderson for Milner.

Alisson
Trent Matip VVD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Mane Origi

Origi did well last time and he also has a thing about Everton, and they him. So keep him in there. Even if Firmino is fit I’d play the same front three. Firmino will be back in the side before you know it, but he can be on the bench for this. Keita was starting to sprout well so is unlucky, but again, stick him on the bench, with Shaqiri. Everton will stick the tackles in, and that’s the one side of the game Keita hasn’t fully adjusted to in the Prem yet. I could see him get kicked out of it, so bench for him, for this one. This gives us several potential match winning options from the bench, should that be needed.

I would love to blow them away, but chances are it will be cagey.

1-0 to Liverpool, Origi again!

Retro Helix

Origi must start whatever the lineup is. The lad deserves it based on last game performance and the 3 points he won at Anfield in the reverse fixture. Midfield will be a tricky choice but my gut says Klopp will go with his favorite son - J Henderson.

Alisson

Trent, Matip, VVD, Robbo

Hendo, Fabinho, Gini

Salah, Origi, Mane

yiannos33

Believe
This is one of our hardest game of the remaining 10. Win this and will have the momentum for the rest of the games.
Alisson and the back four the same, Fabinho and Gini with Hendo in midfield. Unless Firmino is still out
front 3 as last game.

Flobs

FADA
I can not see Klopp leaving out Henderson for this away fixture. He's our best all round midfielder and tactician.
Fabinho is our best DM leaving the midfield spot left as Milner, Wijnaldum, Shaquiri. I think he will start with the tireless Wijnaldum, Milner could be tired and Shaquiri looks out of favor compared to the others at the moment.
Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum allows a lot of fluidity and with Henderson bossing it good coherence. Milner likely to come on later switching sides in an advanced role or shoring up defensively if we are ahead.
Front 3 as per usual if Firmino is fit.
Do I need to talk about the defense?
As for Origi you don't judge a player by 1 performance he might make an appearance late on however so might Sturridge. Firmino is the most likely player to be subbed so as to keep continuity I would plumb for Sturridge.

I expect Everton might try coming at us in the first 15 mins to try and get a goal so that they can then sit back. They will also not hesitate to hit us physically so we need our most resistant players on the pitch.

So only midfield poses real questions imo.

FilthyBloke

Massive game this.
We should keep the same team as Watford in my opinion. Everton can’t defend so we should go for that weakness instead of picking a midfield to scrap with them.

But, we just have to win. If we are not top we need to get back on top and if we are still top we need to break further clear.

Just win.

Status
Not open for further replies.