• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE-MATCH: Everton v. Liverpool (PL: Sun, 28.10.12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Defensive set up:
Jones
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique
Henderson, Allen
Gerrard
Downing, Suarez, Sterling
Attacking set up:
Jones
Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson
Allen
Gerrard, Shelvey or Suso
Sterling, Suarez, Assaidi
My random musings!

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Thats one reason why I think Henderson or Suso may start in midfield. Sahin is fantastic as always but his influence hasnt kept pace with that brilliance and just think that may be because he is overdue a rest he is still getting brought up to speed after a year on bench and recently getting match fit. Henderson would be more defensive and Suso more offensive so gives a tactical choice. Or if Rodgers is unsure play Sahin for tactical flexibility.
For me Hendo has earned more playing time alongside Allen while Lucas is out with Sahin and Shelvey playing just in front of them. This would allow Stevie out on the right which would solve one of our 2 problem areas (striker being the other). I've said before that ideally when Lucas comes back it would be Lucas, Allen and Shelvey with Stevie on the right and Sahin rotating with any of the middle 3. It's strange but last season our CM was quite bad, this season i would have to rotate to keep good players happy, lovely situation to be in but we do need someone capable of protecting the back 4 and i'm fairly sure Hendo was the one being groomed for that.

@TTorro, stunning reply by Dirk lol, always liked him and pretty sure the rest of the team will enjoy that reply.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I met a fairy today who granted me one wish...
"I want to live forever" I said. "sorry" said the fairy "I am not allowed to grant that particular wish" .... "fine" I said "I want to die when Everton win a trophy" ...... "ooooooh you crafty fucker!" said the fairy.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
This will be a tough game considering the start to the season Everton have had.
Despite my negativity about certain aspects of the season, it will be no disgrace if we dont win this and I wont jump all over Rodgers for it.
WBA, Sunderland and Stoke were certainly in my mind more likely to result in a win for us than I viewed this one.

If we do lose this one, I just hope there isn't a bandwagon full of people start banging on about Wednesdays team selection being to blame.

This game could go either way, regardless of who Rodgers picked on Wednesday, be it poor refereeing decisions, sendings off due the game becoming bad natured (every chance of that), or just a poor mistake similar to Dustbins or Skrtels backpass howlers.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I'd like to think that those of us with concerns over team selection and player fitness remain discerning enough to recognise if those factors are present in whatever the result is against Everton. I'm not setting up an excuse or qualm with a hypothetical loss that hasn't happened yet. But if I see Suárez in particular being ineffectual, petulant, and wasteful then I do not think it is beyond reason to discuss whether mental fatigue could be involved in that.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Ok, I see the point you're trying to make, but if Suarez needs to be rested, then do you not think games like Reading and Swansea are the ones to do it in? (yes he scored a hat-trick, but you or I could have probably bagged one that day).

Wednesday night was a win or bust game, and unless we as fans dont give a toss about progressing to the knockout stages of the EL, we shouldn't really be citing Wednesdays game as the pinnacle of the 'Suarez needs rest' argument.

Rodgers has had ample opportunity to rest him but has decided against it, any idea why that may be?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This will be a tough game considering the start to the season Everton have had.
Despite my negativity about certain aspects of the season, it will be no disgrace if we dont win this and I wont jump all over Rodgers for it.
WBA, Sunderland and Stoke were certainly in my mind more likely to result in a win for us than I viewed this one.

If we do lose this one, I just hope there isn't a bandwagon full of people start banging on about Wednesdays team selection being to blame.

This game could go either way, regardless of who Rodgers picked on Wednesday, be it poor refereeing decisions, sendings off due the game becoming bad natured (every chance of that), or just a poor mistake similar to Dustbins or Skrtels backpass howlers.
Great post! There is no way of knowing how we will do against Everton if Thursday had been different.

If we had rested all the big stars for Anzhi Suarez may well play petulant and ineffective, unfortunately he sometimes puts those performances in when fully rested not just tired.

If the big stars didnt play Thursday theyd of certainly trained more. Who is to say somebody who came through the match fine may not of pulled a hamstring in training.

Need I remind people our main injury concerns right now, Reina, Borini and Lucas didnt actually get injured in matches but in preparing for matches?

Win, lose or draw against Everton we will never know what the effect of Rodgers not resting the big stars will be!

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Ok, I see the point you're trying to make, but if Suarez needs to be rested, then do you not think games like Reading and *Norwich are the ones to do it in? (yes he scored a hat-trick, but you or I could have probably bagged one that day).
Of course they are. And I said before and after the Reading game that Suárez should be rested. I understand why Rodgers would feel compelled to play Suárez against Anzhi, but I equally understand why he would feel similarly compelled to play him against Reading. Failing to get a result against Reading would be far less accepted by the fanbase than failing to get a result against Anzhi. Yesil would have contributed just as much (if not more) as Suárez did against Anzhi, and there were plenty of people who reasonably expected such a mediocre performance given the demands placed upon him. Playing Yesil, even just for 30 minutes or so, would have been a relatively low-risk move considering that many didn't expect to beat Anzhi anyway. I understand Rodgers wanting to stay alive in Europe, but I would run the risk of playing Yesil against Anzhi to save Suárez for the league any day of the week.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'd like to think that those of us with concerns over team selection and player fitness remain discerning enough to recognise if those factors are present in whatever the result is against Everton. I'm not setting up an excuse or qualm with a hypothetical loss that hasn't happened yet. But if I see Suárez in particular being ineffectual, petulant, and wasteful then I do not think it is beyond reason to discuss whether mental fatigue could be involved in that.
Just don't think you can do that to Luis, even though he needs the rest. He's a fighter, you can't tell him to sit when he hears the bell. He knows this is a huge game for the supporters, it would kill him not to play. He will rise to the occasion, but you can't ask him to do that every three days.

Reactions: TFC

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Just don't think you can do that to Luis, even though he needs the rest. He's a fighter, you can't tell him to sit when he hears the bell. He knows this is a huge game for the supporters, it would kill him not to play. He will rise to the occasion, but you can't ask him to do that every three days.
I'm not actually suggesting that Suárez be rested in this game. But Rodgers keeps kicking the can down the road, hoping that he can get one more and one more and one more game out of him without breaking. In my estimation, he's now foregone two perfect opportunities to keep our key player fit and safe immediately before a demanding series of games which will practically necessitate that he keeps playing.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'm not actually suggesting that Suárez be rested in this game. But Rodgers keeps kicking the can down the road, hoping that he can get one more and one more and one more game out of him without breaking. In my estimation, he's now foregone two perfect opportunities to keep our key player fit and safe immediately before a demanding series of games which will practically necessitate that he keeps playing.
Unfortunately, with a tough start to the season and just one senior striker, Rodgers has precious little choice - he needed 3 pts versus Reading, and the collapse versus Udinese made Wednesday a win or out. But if we see Yesil/Morgan on Wednesday, I will be pleased at Rodgers' willingness to subordinate his own ego and risk writing off the League Cup. If we crash out, I think the bulk of the blame is on FSG.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Of course they are. And I said before and after the Reading game that Suárez should be rested. I understand why Rodgers would feel compelled to play Suárez against Anzhi, but I equally understand why he would feel similarly compelled to play him against Reading. Failing to get a result against Reading would be far less accepted by the fanbase than failing to get a result against Anzhi. Yesil would have contributed just as much (if not more) as Suárez did against Anzhi, and there were plenty of people who reasonably expected such a mediocre performance given the demands placed upon him. Playing Yesil, even just for 30 minutes or so, would have been a relatively low-risk move considering that many didn't expect to beat Anzhi anyway. I understand Rodgers wanting to stay alive in Europe, but I would run the risk of playing Yesil against Anzhi to save Suárez for the league any day of the week.
Ok im confused, did we not beat Reading and Anzhi and so far not lose anybody to injury? And so far have we not even played against Everton let alone had a bad result/performance and injuries or whatever?

Ok fine people have concerns an if they want to say we are dicing with fire fine. We may well be playing the long odds in the situation we are in.

But so far unless Ive missed something since this Borini injury have we or have we not won out on every situation so far?

Lets just appreciate Rodgers may know what he is doing with the limited resources available to him and wait until he actually gets it wrong before criticizing his decisions and labelling them incorrect.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Lets just appreciate Rodgers may know what he is doing with the limited resources available to him and wait until he actually gets it wrong before criticizing his decisions and labelling them incorrect.
I would prefer that we don't have to reach that point, is all I'm saying. I can disagree with Rodgers' team selections even if we win every game, just like I can be unhappy with a performance even if we win or happy with a performance even if with lose.

For what it's worth, I thought we had a very solid game and controlled the ball better than we have previously. I was very rarely concerned about what Anzhi had to offer, and that in particular colours my feeling that it wouldn't have been a too-risky move to bring on Yesil. So you could even say that I'm critical of something so small as a substitution instead of a team selection, if you'd like.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Lets just appreciate Rodgers (and his coaching and medical staff) may know what he is doing with the limited resources available to him and wait until he actually gets it wrong before criticizing his decisions and labelling them incorrect.
Didn't I say that about 3 pages ago?
Try and keep up

RMP

TIA First Team

Moyes: Diving players deter supporters

Everton manager David Moyes has hit out at Luis Suarez ahead of Sunday's Merseyside derby and claimed diving players will 'turn supporters away from the game'.

Moyes has fanned the flames ahead of his side's first showdown of the season with Liverpool at Goodison Park by shining a light on the controversial Suarez, who has been accused of diving time and again by opposition players and managers during his Premier League career.
"He [Suarez] has got history," Moyes said. "They [diving players] are very good at it. It's a hard job for the referees, it really is, but it will turn supporters away from it if they think players are conning their way to results. People like to see things done correctly.

"Of course if the ball hits your hand you're going to claim for it and you're going to take every decision that you get going for you, but I don't think supporters like it when players are out to manufacture it.

"I don't think there are many players out there who really do it, but I would hope if I got one who did I would be big enough to say: 'Would you please stay on your feet and stop going down easy'.

"Supporters just don't like the thought of people going down easily. Everybody who has played football at any level would hate that in their game and people who play the game find it very hard to go along with."

Moyes went on to call for the game's authorities to come down hard on diving players, handing out bans after reviewing video evidence.

"I'm of the view that retrospective viewing of diving should be more important than some of the technology they are talking about bringing in," he said. "I think it would make the referee's job an awful lot easier if that was there.

"If you do it and you get banned, it wouldn't take long before you cut it out. It wouldn't take much. Four or five people on a panel, some referees, players and managers. It could be easily done."

Big of him to talk of retrospective reviewing of diving. What about when players are unfairly judged to have dived by referees and in fact they should have received a legitimate penalty?

Anyway I actually like the fact Moyes has made these comments. Can see Suarez scoring a couple now.

IrieLion

TIA Squad Member
reckon reina starts if fit...but if not jones can do the job IMO

Jones

Wisdom Agger Skrtel Johnson

Shelvey Allen
Gerrard

Suso Sterling
Suarez

Subs: Sahin, Gulasci, Assaidi, Enrique, Henderson, Downing, Coates

I like shelvey over sahin although he needs to keep his head about him and not get himself sent off

Rooster

What a hit son
Wonder if there is a spot for Carragher in this one. Can't see much support so far. Ugly draw my prediction.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Odd that Moyes talks about diving when he has players in his team like Felliani feigning injury like no one's business when he doesn't get the ball.

Hope that fires up Suarez to stop diving and score a hat trick of goals against Everton.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Moyes is really cheating, trying to influence the referee before the game has even started. Hope we stuff them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So Moyes says Suarez diving deters fans from Football.... Suarez has been detering fans from Goodison for years then. Great foresight these blues!

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Its brilliant when opposition manager take potshot at rival's player, before a game.
Makes BR's job of motivating easier.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
You could say the same about any number of Everton players. Gollum is just trying to influence the Ref, who I hope is bigger than that.

Doubt it though.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Moyes is really cheating, trying to influence the referee before the game has even started. Hope we stuff them.
He should learn from Brendan I reckon. I can't remember our man saying anything negative about any opposing player, manager or team in a pre-match interview, post-match yes but pre, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.