Pre Match: Everton vs LFC; Saturday 23/11/13; 12.45 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
VS.

So, this will probably be one of the most testing games since the beginning of the season, and very much a test of our credentials in this league. Everton finished higher than us last season in the league, and generally have done well since two years. Their team is still together, apart the loss of Fellaini, who has been replaced by several quality players, among them Romelu Lukaku, Gareth Barry and James McCarthy, so there has been no loss in quality at all compared with last season.

Martinez, having replaced the departing Moyes, has instilled much more tactical know-how, and as a result, I see them as much more dangerous for us than they were last season, when we managed to get two heavily-contested draws (2-2 away, and 0-0 home).

While we have gone on a decent series of games recently (WDWLW), and sit second in the table, Everton haven't done too bad themselves (LWWDD), and currently are just three points behind us. Apart from their loss at Man City, where they shipped three goals, they have been at the end of just one goal in four games. Needless to say that our forwards will need to be at the peak of their form to undo this solid and well-organized team.

On the other hand, they seem to experience a bit of a slow-down attacking-wise, having scored only five goals in the last five matches, and more importantly, no goal at all against Tottenham and at Crystal Place, their last two games.

So, this match will have a big say where we will head towards this season. Going to Goodison is always tough, and this is valid for any team in the league. So, a win will propel us six points clear of them, and it will count as a huge marker of our credentials of being able to break into the European places. A loss however will see us right in the mix among the teams fighting around sixth place.

As this is a derby, form will obviously fly out of the window, and the contest will be up for those who want it most. So, expect high-flying tackles, many fouls, a high-pressure and -passion context, and... at least one important ref error which will influence the game heavily. Two years ago, an Everton player was wrongly sent off by Martin Atkinson, and last season, a perfectly regular goal from Suarez was disallowed late in the game by Andre Marriner.

I won't expand on who should be selected for that game, as there are still international games to play before the squads comes back together. If possible, we should go on with the same tactics that served us well against Fulham: a 433, with hopefully the same players than against Fulham.

However, it's far from sure whether this will be possible. Suarez has a qualification match just 72 hours before the match starts off (it remains to be seen if he will be selected though, as Uruguay are all but through). Sturridge has limped off with a niggle during training with England, and is uncertain. Gerrard himself has been given an injection to be able to play against Germany, so we'll need to see how it goes.

Fingers crossed that there won't be other niggles/casualties, as we need to be in top form to give the Blues the beating they are long due at their ground (they haven't lost any game at Goodison since the end of December 2012, against Chelsea)!

OhYaBeauty

For me, this match will define the first half of our season. Forget the early victory against United, the loss to Arsenal, all of it. This match is hugely important. We have three very winnable fixtures following this one, followed by four very difficult fixtures in late December. Win and we'll be in excellent shape to pick up nine points in those three matches (Hull, Norwich, West Ham) which we'll need once we play the big boys.

The first half of our season will be defined by December. We need to pick up nine points against the lower teams we'll face so that we can afford to drop points to City, Tottenham, and Chelsea. Suffer a demoralizing defeat in the derby and I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop points against Hull, Norwich, or West Ham which would likely drop us out of the top four.

I think we'll likely stick with the same formation that we saw against Fulham; a 4-2-2-2 (since our fullbacks aren't healthy or dominant enough for us to try the 4-3-1-2 yet) with Henderson and Coutinho "wide". The fullbacks are more or less set in stone but it's anyone's guess who Rodgers will play in central defense. I've gone with Toure (for his physicality against Lukaku) and Agger (for his ability to read the game). Harsh to drop Skrtel, but this type of center forward has been a problem for him in the past, and I feel more secure with Toure.

I see Baines and Lukaku as the main threats and this formation would be well suited to neutralizing them. Henderson on Baines is a smart move as is two central defenders focusing on Lukaku. However, that does leave us weak in midfield, with them having three central midfielders against our two (and Henderson unable to drop in and help out since he's busy with Baines).

Should be a very interesting match from a tactical standpoint, with us perhaps being more direct than them for the first time in ages. Martinez vs Rodgers will be fun.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Provided Suarez gets back early and Sturridge shake off that thigh injury, it should be an end to end game for me. I have not followed them closely, but I am eager to see how both teams stack up. This time around we are not playing Moyes Everton side, the very well organised in defence and long ball counter attack, muscle and brute force style. We now playing against another manager who likes to play football.

Lukaku should be their main threat and Ross Barkley might be a handful for us. Lucas needs to be very alert in this game, and I don't mind seeing Toure in to take on Lukaku. The centre half may not be as quick but his experience should give him the edge over the aerial challenge. I hate to break up a solid defensive partnership, but in this case we might have to. Gerrard and Coutinho are going to face McCarthy and Barry, should be a pretty good match up as both Barry and Gerrard lacks the mobility, their form will determine who comes up on top in this fight.

Our fullback and defensive mid will be having a tough fight with Miralas too. A danger man in their team. If both our front men are not 100% in the game! we could be watching a very cagey match coming from us! sitting deeper inviting Everton to come at us. Sharing a point won't be too bad of a result for us after a midweek international break.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Given that Lukaku took our CBs for a ride last season, I expect that we will see two CBs who did play with us last season in Sakho and Toure.

It would not suprise me if both managers set up for a low scoring affair, as they know each other well and don't want the squads stretched in the midfield. At the same time, it would not surprise me to see our gaffer come out with a 4-4-2 formation and let all attacking players bomb forward.

yiannos33

Believe
As long as we get all our internationals home safe,this will be a massive game for both teams.
Everton are playing better with Martinez in charge this year,and sign a great player in Lukaku.
This could go either way.
Hoping for 2-1 Reds

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Hope we stick with a back 4 with DAgger continuing.I would also like to see Stevie pushed further forward with Hendo's energy used to shield the back 4. We should have too much, as long as we're up for it i'm expecting 3 points.

My team would be:

...................................Mignolet.....................
Johnson..........Skrtel.............DAgger...........Enrique
.........................Lucas........Henderson....................
...................................Gerrard..................................
.............Suarez......................................Coutinho....
..................................Sturridge..................................

abcd

Arsenal was a major reminder of how far the squad have to come if they are to match the top sides but the response against an admittedly poor Fulham side was good. Another win here would be a huge result and would set things up nicely for December. A draw wouldn't be a bad result in my opinion. Not many sides will leave Goodison Park with all 3 points.

kwala

TIA Regular
Sakho has to play Vs Lukaku for me. Sakho +1 in the CB department. Hopefully Enrique is fully fit. The rest picks its self!!

Can't wait for the footy to return. International friendlies for 2 weeks is a piss take mid season.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
kwala said:
Sakho has to play Vs Lukaku for me. Sakho +1 in the CB department. Hopefully Enrique is fully fit. The rest picks its self!!

Can't wait for the footy to return. International friendlies for 2 weeks is a piss take mid season.
Yes, i was thinking that aswell, in my original post i put Sahko alongside DAgger but they have never played together so is this a game for the first time together? Wouldn't mind seeing that, however Skrtel deserves to keep his place.

Ditto your thoughts about the friendlies, hate them with an intense passion.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Will take a draw from this, but given the absolute anal fucking Lukaku gave us last season, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of Arsenal and we lose 2-0.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Suarez fucking around against Jordan a couple of days before our early kickoff and Sturridge and Gerrard playing in a meaningless friendlies on pailkilling injections, with minor injuries.

I hate international football more than I can possibly articulate at times.

OhYaBeauty

ILLOK said:
Suarez fucking around against Jordan a couple of days before our early kickoff and Sturridge and Gerrard playing in a meaningless friendlies on pailkilling injections, with minor injuries.

I hate international football more than I can possibly articulate at times.
To clarify, is Suarez playing in the second leg? Because that would be one of the stupidest things I can possibly think of.

kwala

TIA Regular
It is madness isn't it.

Why not just finish the fucking season 1 month earlier by cutting all the bullshit internationals out. Send the International squads away a month earlier, and play a friendly every week in the build up to the finals. Choose a final squad 1 week before the final tournament kicks off. and Everyone is happy, and players can be assessed over a 38 game season to see if they merit being on the plane.

Sturridge and Gerrard should NEVER be playing friendlies if they have niggles. Arguably they are England's 2 most important players next summer. The Captain, and the Centre Forward. Both are 100% in the world cup squad. Let the fringe players earn a place, and save aggravating injuries. IF either miss Saturday after this "Friendly" the FA should be held accountable.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
It will be the first time in years that Everton will try and play free flowing football against Liverpool. Moyes will either be shown up or justified in trying to contain Liverpool rather than having a crack at them. That's not to say Everton havent outplayed Liverpool during Moyes reign cos they did on occasions but they set up their team to stifle and always made the Merseyside derbies hard to watch at times. Lets hope they now become more of a spectacle, with Liverpool winning each tie of course.

I like the thinking behind Sahko starting to neutralise Lukuku's sheer strength, he has the potential to absolutely maul Agger and Sktrel, so I feel that could be a shrewd move. Hats off to the poster who first suggested it. It would be a big call considering Sktrel's recent forma and Aggers return to the team but Rodgers has shown he wont shy away from the big decisions.

We need to avoid defeat, with thee very winnable games after the derby we need to collect 10 points from the next four games. After that its four cup finals in a row and we will have to fight tooth and nail for every point.

I would go for Miggo, Johnson, Sktrel, Sahko, Enrique, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho

OhYaBeauty said:
To clarify, is Suarez playing in the second leg? Because that would be one of the stupidest things I can possibly think of.
Suarez would be keen to play so theres no stopping it unfortunately.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Looking forward to this one,.. I like martinez at the time when we in for manager he was up there on a list of candidates with BR they are very similar in some ways..
With the internationals soon to be over i hope we have a full roster to choose from where we stronger and have edge in talent
Exciting game ...3.2 away win

sanjay_sai_rpt

Klopp the shit outta every team!
It would be a tough decision for BR.
Play Sakho? Yes, the physicality will absolutely help against Lukaku.
Play Skrtel? Yes, he deserves his place.
Sakho & Skrtel enough? No.. there is something missing with the combo...

I think he will go with a back 3 again, and play 3-4-1-2. The wingbacks are back fully fit, so this formation should be a lot better than the last time we played it wiht cissokho and flanagan as WBs.

Skrtel - Toure/Agger - Sakho
Johnson Enrique
Henderson Lucas
Coutinho
Suarez Sturridge

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
We won't play our captain? Unless there's no 20 inch pain med injection available, he's starting.

I do agree with the 3 CB's though. Their full backs cross it so often it'd be risky to only have 2 powerful central defenders. We must avoid a loss at all costs. Of course we tried to do the same against Arsenal and got nothing.

So maybe being overly cautious back-fires for us....Rafa-less "learning organization".

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
lovepool said:
Henry is sending his private jet to collect Suarez. Hopefully he doesn't play any more than 45min
It would be a good time for him to be left out and them to try out other players but that won't happen and I don't see them playing for anything less than they want him, It's still a play-off game and even though they are 5 goals to the good, they will be expected to field the strongest team possable by the fans, Luis will also want to play as he loves playing for his Country.

Now to the game, I can see Gerrard not starting this one, If it's true that he is carrying an injury and he plays for England tonight then I would expect Rodgers to take him out and give him a rest, If he is fully fit then he will play. This is for me the 2nd bigest game of the season (the home game being the bigest) So will we win this one I hope we do nothing beats a win over Everton and gives me the chance to wind up my mates (the same for most of us lol) but I see this one being a draw, To win this one we have to play at are best and get an early goal or two and not sit back, if we don't then it will be a draw, I don't think the squad is as good as ours but in the manager they do have a better man than the last one. They will play with the ball more to feet and have a very good striker. The weakness for them is the right back area, Left back area is strong and we won't get much out of Bains we just need to stop him getting forward. The Ref could have a big bearing on the game and we don't have much luck when he is in charge.

kopite1982

If we go 3 at the back then who do we loose? Hendo or lucas?? Because one of them will have to make way...

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
kopite1982 said:
If we go 3 at the back then who do we lose? Hendo or lucas?? Because one of them will have to make way...
Unfortunately, if Stevie is fit, and we have to play wiith 3 CB's we might lost Coutinho. So the below assumes we:

-start with 3 CB's
-Stevie is fit

Here's the scenario which allows for Coutinho to start.

If Glen's ability to penetrate from the right, is nulified by Baines' defense, we might play Hendo as a RWB and bench Glen. This assumes Hendo would be able to defend against Baines better down the wing (than Glen) and allow for a more defensive set up.

Another scenario that starts both Coutinho and Hendo is a single forward upfront (if one of the 2 league top scorers are not fit).....

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Liverpool's principle owner John W Henry organises a private jet to enable Luis Suarez to make a swift return from Uruguay for Saturday's [1245 GMT] Merseyside derby, the Daily Telegraph reports.
Suarez will play in the second leg of his country's World Cup play-off against Jordan late on Wednesday, a formality as Uruguay protect a 5-0 lead.
The report adds: "Henry, recognising the importance of Suarez in such a high-profile fixture, is so determined to ensure the striker's return journey is not too gruelling he will send his own transport. That would enable Suarez to be back in England on Thursday rather than Friday afternoon.

lovepool

We will probably use the same team that started against Fulham. I really cannot understand people suggesting that Johnson or Gerrard should be on the bench.

CB is the area where there may be a change. It really comes down to does Rodgers trust Skrtel and Agger to be strong enough to cope with Lukaku. If he doesn't Sakho or Toure will step in.

Personally I would stick with Agger and Skrtel to start.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Hope Enrique's fit enough to start, not that I'm a big fan of Mirallas but him out wide 1 v 1 against Cissokho, if Aly performs like he did over the last 2 games, we could be in trouble on that side.

kwala

TIA Regular
Late availability tickets going on sale tomorrow at 11am if anyone is interested!!

bes

Biggest game of the 2013 for us. THE DERBY.

A 3-5-2 would be perfect because we'd have 3 cbs who can handle Lukaku and Glen + Enrique are back but I smell 4 4 2

Johnson Skrtel Sakho Enrique
----Gerrard Lucas
Hendo----------------Coutinho
---------Suarez-------
Sturridge

It'd be better for one of SaS to drop back but its a derby so I expect a lot of ups and downs on the field with 10 men always defending. Lukaku is our biggest problem, Agger had a good last match but Lukaku will work that man and we wont be passing out the back in a derby, hence the need with Skrtel + Sakho. Hopefully thats part of Rogers tactics to stop Sakho, it'd be dumb to just play Agger based off merit.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
after the loss at arsenal... this is a must win game... however we are coming out of a international break... so...

Status
Not open for further replies.