• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre match: Fulham v Liverpool Wednesday 12 February, 20.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Liverpool have beaten the league leaders 5 -1. Fulham are on their way down and playing terribly.

Surely three points, but we never know with this team.

lfc.8

It's vital we win and keep the momentum going. Also to keep a gap between ourselves and Spurs, Everton and Man United.

Archer

TIA First Team
Hoping for annihilation and momentum. Everton/Spurs taking points from each other on Sunday and Utd having a tough (well, maybe) game at Arsenal midweek means we have to hammer the 'easy' opposition.

slufsar

Away games to teams battling relegation are never easy. Fulham are really desperate now. 5 points up to safe ground. They really need a result. They've had a good transfer window aswell, and some of those players might start clicking against us.

Not being pessimistic. Just pointing out that this is another game in which we need to dig in and cant expect any result before the match. Thats the pattern of the 2nd half of our season really. Home games to tough opposition and away games to relegation battlers depending on their home form.

There is no easy away games.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Fulham have been poor since Rene arrived (not that they were great before), but if we can't get ourselves up for playing the bottom team after thrashing the league leaders, then we don't deserve to be in the running for the title.

I think Suarez is due a couple and Sturridge should get his usual one. I'll go for 4-0, Sterling to get the other.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Fulham play United tomorrow, to the best of my memory someone had a stat that teams that play United struggle to get a result in the next game, so Im hoping Fulham battle hard for 90 min (maybe even get a point or 3) and then we go to the Cottage and win.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Should be a relatively straightforward fixture, but with our track record against lower teams and with Fulham,
the only way is up now,I reckon they will give us a fight.

Then if they can take the points off the Mancs tomorrow they might feel better, but still will probably give us a game.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
Fulham is still worth 3 poitns alright guys. I hope the team doesn't overlook this. They'll be hustling it out to get out of the drop zone...

artanisknarf

We've laid some eggs on the road this season. Mostly due to complacency. Once that happens our bench is thread bare and we don't have anyone to throw on at 0-0 on 60 minutes for example.
Wonder if we could do a Rafa approach and leave Sturridge or Suarez on the bench along with Sterling or Coutihno.
Maybe play Moses and Allen. Then if we are up for it we win 2-0 or 3-0 with that team, but if we struggle, how cool would it be to bring Suarez and Coutihno, or Sturridge and Sterling to win the game.
I do expect BR to play the best 11 though as he never keeps any cards in his sleeve.

Just as important as the Arsenal game this. We have been complacent in the past after good results and I only hope Rodgers and the team have learnt from their mistakes. A brilliant win against Arsenal won't count for nearly as much if we don't go on to get the full 3 points against the bottom of the table team. Really need to be up for this and I personally would keep the exact same formation (unless Agger is deemed fit to start).

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
I think that fact that Stevie G, Sturridge and Suarez were all withdrawn in the Arsenal game pretty much means they will all start this one. Our away form isn't dreadful and Fulham look hapless at the moment, 2 or 3 goal win I hope

TheSweetSilverSong

Quite nervous about this one, and specifically whether Mitroglou will play and be in his CL form. He is a class player and can potentially save Fulham, and I hope it won't be at the expense of Liverpool FC.. - that said, wouldn't mind if it would be at the expense of Utd :p

jimmydestiny said:
Fulham play United tomorrow, to the best of my memory someone had a stat that teams that play United struggle to get a result in the next game, so Im hoping Fulham battle hard for 90 min (maybe even get a point or 3) and then we go to the Cottage and win.
Must be during Fergie era…??!!??

NZred

The Red From NZ
This really needs to be 3 point.

Much like after the Everton game, the 3 points are nothing if we don't follow it up. Especially with Arsenal having a tough match against United, it could be another opportunity to further close the gap at the top and position ourselves for a push at 2nd spot.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

You can't change a winning side, although I would play a 2-1 midfield, rather than the 1-2. We'll need to keep more control of the middle of the park - Fulham won't let us counter attack. They'll be sitting deep and looking for a chance to spring out at us. Keep control of things and trust that Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge will do the job.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sterling come off for Moses at around 60mins, if it's going well.

soorajmj4

Tha last two times we bagged in 4+ goals in tough games, we followed it with pretty dissappointing draws against poor sides.
Hope this one is not like that. Must close the game in the first half itself unlike at hawthorns, were we were pretty poor with own standards.
4W 4D 4L - thats the away form this season and we must focus and should control the game as fast as we can.

KraznyIvan

Same team, push Hendo up with Coutinho. Sub on Alberto, Allen and Ibe after 70.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
The team picks itself, we should absolutely destroy Fulham...All I ask for is that destruction to be injury free.

Amazed BR took Gerrard off yesterday, I'm assuming it was because he was on a yellow card and appeared to be putting himself about a bit - but some nice additional rest. I'd like to see him do the same on Wednesday for some rest for the cup.

Other than that - run riot redmen.

We can't go there expecting to play on the break, this is where the older BR style of possession and intricate play will get us results...

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
With Agger and Johnson training again and the team confident after the Arsenal win we just need to keep winning games.
To get 4th would be great.

shootscore

I want to see Coutinho take his recent form with him on the road, and having Allen to bring on's a strong option, so I'd go with Mascot88's lineup, a bit of confidence and belief should sure be in the team after that fully on fire first 20 minutes against Arsenal.
The formation works when the attacking players press like they did, and contribute defensively.

t34m43

we need to take advantage of that win and keep the momentum going. I just hope we do not see another lackluster performance like against West Brom and Villa.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I reckon that Fulham will defend, defend, defend for this one.

Their manager must realise that if he tries to force the issue, his team will get taken apart.That being the case, BR will have to set the team up to dominate possession rather than play on the break. The same lineup would still work but we'll be even more reliant on Coutinho to open them up in this game.

I don't expect another 4 or 5 goal demolition, unless Fulham are foolish enough to play a high line, but something more workmanlike - 2-0 or even 1-0. I just hope the players don't go there and expect them to simply roll over. WBA springs to mind.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We've been blowing hot and cold air since Christmas. I hope it doesn't repeat again as it was when we played Everton and then West Brom. We can't go beating league leaders 5-1 just to go away to Fulham to get a point.

Positive sign is that Rodgers wises up this time by piling out Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge to prepare for midweek game. The only worry I have is which Coutinho will turn up as not only Gerrard but this small Brazilian proved to be instrumental in our performance in the last game.

A draw would be a step back after a massive step forward. Let's hope we break that little blip of ours and cement ourselves on this 4 spot we've been craving for in the last 4 years.

Claymenza

We could play a 4-4-2 for this match. If it's a 4-3-3 I wouldn't mind seeing what sturridge can do on the wing once in a while. His pace is deadly.

redalways

TIA Regular
I am genuinely terrified of this match, we always seem to struggle to put up consistent performances.

Hopefully we can build on the 5-1 to start rectifying our abysmal away form...

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Two thing that should warn us that this is no easy game:
1. We goof up in midweek games
2. We goof up after an stellar performance

If we are focused, dont underestimate the opponent, we should win this.
Can't emphasize the importance of this win, Tottenham are right up on our heels, any slip up could be costly.

kwala

TIA Regular
Same side again. Get the game won, and then make changes. Fulham are fragile at the moment, if we come out with the same intensity, get an early goal or 2, they will crumble.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
they are not fragile at the moment (half time against Utd)....Up 0-1.

Here's to them getting something out of this today.

But as far as their defensive organization? They seem to be doing better and 10 players behind the ball will try to defend and hit us on the counter like today.

C'mon Luis, Martin or Stevie. Break through early (with a set piece or not) on so we can hit 5+ past them.

jtlqasim1

TIA Youth Team
Never saw them live, but this team seems to be similar to Roy Evan's side in the mid and late 90s.
Capable of destroying top teams but lacking consistency. This one might have more talent, but after the early part of the season when we grinded out 1-0 wins, we seem to have lost that ability. Dropped points home to Southmapton, home to Villa and away to West Brom. Same inconsistency cost us the title in 08-09.
I hope we address that, because that seems to be what's holding us back and keeping us in the area between the top 3 and Spurs, Everton and Utd. The maximum number of consecutive wins we have had in the League this season is 4. Need to construct a run for the business end of the season if we want to keep hold of 4th spot at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.