• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: League Cup 27/8/13 Notts County (h) 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
After two wins in the league, the squad faces its first cup tie of the campaign. Only a few days after a trying win away, will Rodgers use this match as an opportunity to blood in players who have yet to see any time in competitive matches, or will the Reds send out the same XI and continue the momentum?

I believe we will see many of the senior squad sit this one out, namely Toure, Agger, Johnson and Gerrard. With the Manc's on the horizon, it is important to field a team that can win, but I suspect we can bypass Notts while at the same time allowing some of our elder statements to catch a breather.

LiVeRp0oL89

Doubt it would happen but would love to see Jordan Rossiter play some part. Really excited by this lad :D

OhYaBeauty

With a big match on Sunday and relatively weak opposition (with all due respect) I figure Rodgers will blood some youngsters. I fully expect to see Wisdom, Kelly, Sterling, and Luis Alberto and wouldn't be surprised to see Ibe and Borini as well. I'd like to see the Captain rested.

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Doubt it would happen but would love to see Jordan Rossiter play some part. Really excited by this lad :D
Erm... he's 16! I'll wait for him to consistently light up the reserves before calling for him in the first team, even for a cup game. Remember, he started last season playing U16s!

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
I would probably go...
Jones​
Flanagan Wisdom Kelly Cissokho​
Allen Henderson​
Ibe Alberto Sterling​
Borini​
Inclusion of Rossiter, Sinclair, Jones or Ojo on the bench would be great.

LiVeRp0oL89

OhYaBeauty said:
With a big match on Sunday and relatively weak opposition (with all due respect) I figure Rodgers will blood some youngsters. I fully expect to see Wisdom, Kelly, Sterling, and Luis Alberto and wouldn't be surprised to see Ibe and Borini as well. I'd like to see the Captain rested.

Erm... he's 16! I'll wait for him to consistently light up the reserves before calling for him in the first team, even for a cup game. Remember, he started last season playing U16s!
16? Since when has that stopped us! Just got a good feeling about this kid ;)

Herb

Going to the game and would like to see some more of Alberto in particular, so hopefully he'll get 90 minutes. Don't think RedJacko's team is far off though I'm not sure if Henderson will play.

YNWAGerrard

It's a good time to get our youngsters some game time. I certainly expect Alberto so start, would be interesting to see him play in a competitive match. I sincerely hope borini starts and scores a few goals. I'm also expecting Ibe and Sterling to make a mark.
All in all im looking forward to this one.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Herb said:
Going to the game and would like to see some more of Alberto in particular, so hopefully he'll get 90 minutes. Don't think RedJacko's team is far off though I'm not sure if Henderson will play.
I was thinking that about Hendo, but seeing as we lack real depth in that deep midfield position I figure either him or Allen will play. Could drop Alberto deep but I think he should get a chance in behind.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
ChicagoRed said:
Kelly isn't fit mate.
Do you mean he's not 100% after last seasons injury or that he's got a new one? Assuming you mean the former, do you reckon he's not ready for a full match yet then?

Damn... just realised I forgot to give myself the day off for this match. That's annoying. The fixture must have been announced after I wrote my timesheet. Curses!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
leopoldfrank said:
Do you mean he's not 100% after last seasons injury or that he's got a new one? Assuming you mean the former, do you reckon he's not ready for a full match yet then?
Same injury. He said he's about 6 weeks away.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
ChicagoRed said:
Same injury. He said he's about 6 weeks away.
Hrm... Wisdom Skrtel Agger then I guess, unless anyone thinks McLaughlin's ready... Not much of a Flanagan fan tbh.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
leopoldfrank said:
Hrm... Wisdom Skrtel Agger then I guess, unless anyone thinks McLaughlin's ready... Not much of a Flanagan fan tbh.
Cissoko is guaranteed to start.

Coming so soon after a tough encounter with Villa leaving a few players like Agger nursing knocks/injuries and a big game at the weekend I think this is likely to be a competitive outing for some of our squad players and youngsters.

Potentially the 'B' team could be Jones, Kelly (or Flanagan if he isn't fit), Wisdom (or his replacement in the squad if signed in time), Skrtel, Cissokho, Henderson (centrally rather than wide right), Allen, Ibe, Luis Alberto, Sterling, Borini.

Rather than making all 10 changes though I would probably still include Mignolet (needs to continue growing in confidence) and Aspas (could do with a first competitive goal, possibly replaced by Ibe later in the game) and name a strong bench.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
tesh said:
suarez available for this match?
Nope, but it does count towards his supension ...so just the 3 games left after this one.

Still, very much fingers-crossed, if Suarez ever plays for us again. I'd still hope so (and would hope that he's motivated too) ...but still 8 days of the window to go. Would also hope for 1~2 players in as well, in the same window.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Matt said:
Jones​
Kelly Skrtel Wisdom Cissokho​
Allen Henderson Alberto​
Sterling Borini Ibe​
Yep, I'd go with this one as well. On paper, it looks a decent team, certainly good enough to beat a League One team, and maybe it will allow BR to separate the wheat from the chaff as well...

Herb

RedJacko said:
I was thinking that about Hendo, but seeing as we lack real depth in that deep midfield position I figure either him or Allen will play. Could drop Alberto deep but I think he should get a chance in behind.
Alberto could play deep. Think Rodgers said that he wants him to play there in the future, probably when Gerrard is being slowly phased out of the team or retires. Would be a good game to get him in there to see what he can do.

Mr v

Really good chance for borini and allen to show what they can do. They are both in dire need of a solid and convincing performance.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Matt said:
Jones​
Kelly Skrtel Wisdom Cissokho​
Allen Henderson Alberto​
Sterling Borini Ibe​
I'd go with this as well,should be good enough to win,giving some youngsters game time and let Borini show what he can do.
If Skrtel is going to stay, he deffo should play, because he will have a role to play this season.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Guess I'm the only one who would play Mignolet , he made an interesting quote about playing in front of the Kop in the programme for the first game I think and it might be beneficial noting how shaky he was to get him to play the game here especially as the next time will be against Manchester United.

As for the rest of the teams pretty much agree.

Briggsy

TIA New Signing
Just thought I'd leave a quick post as a Notts County supporter with a slight dual-loyalty to Liverpool for anyone who's interested; I'm from Nottingham and Notts are very much my team, but for as long as I can remember I've been a huge supporter of Liverpool as well. We've had our highs at Notts County, but also a lot of lows and I have found myself from time to time questioning why I'm spending my cash on watching football of a standard not dissimilar to that you can find down your local playing fields. I've found having an affinity for Liverpool (can't call them "the reds" due to Forest connotations!) to give me a welcome relief from that.

This is one of those tough times at Notts County. Today we were utterly dire; at home against a poor Stevenage side we failed to create a single goalscoring chance, despite controlling a fair amount of possesion we couldn't even muster a quarter-chance throughout the whole 90 minutes. It was awful to watch and as Stevenage inevitably swept in the only goal of the match in the 90th minute I couldn't help but wish I hadn't bothered going to the game.

Thankfully I had the Liverpool game to look forward to when I got home, and I thought you/we didn't do badly against a Villa side that have proven difficult to beat this season. I've heard lots of people criticising the way we sat back in the second half but I thought it seemed like an intentional move from Rodgers to try and nullify the counter-attacking threat that Villa pose, and in my opinion it worked well enough as despite having a lot of shots, only the one Benteke effort was a real chance.

Anyway, enough about that game and onto Tuesday night; as I said earlier Notts are not in good form at the moment, morale appears pretty low after taking just 1 point from our opening 4 games and I think we could be in danger of suffering an embarrassing defeat. After seeing the amount and quality of chances created last time out at anfield against Stoke it really wouldn't surprise me if the scoreline was upwards of 5 or 6 nil, even if Rodgers only sends out a reserve team.

I'll be there anyhow (wouldn't miss this trip for the world despite how poorly we've been playing at the moment) and if things do go badly for Notts at least it'll be interesting to see how well some of the Liverpool youngsters are coming along. I'm gonna go for a spirited defeat that reignites some of the Notts lads' confidence and spurs them to kick on in some of our next few league games. Here's to a successful season for both teams.

Come on you Pies!

edit: I'm aware that wasn't just a "quick post" got a bit carried away!

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
For me we shouldn't put any of our first eleven in this squad as utd next Sunday is more important

Jones

Flanno wisdom sktrel (c) cissoko

Allen Alberto

Sterling ibe assaidi
Borini

Subs ward Jones Enrique Gerrard teixeria Morgan Henderson

Clive

therealkeano1 said:
For me we shouldn't put any of our first eleven in this squad as utd next Sunday is more importantJonesFlanno wisdom sktrel (c) cissokoAllen AlbertoSterling ibe assaidiBorini Subs ward Jones Enrique Gerrard teixeria Morgan Henderson
This was the team I was thinking, except Hendo for Assaidi to start. To be honest, I forgot about Assaidi; but since he's here, I hope he gets some minutes in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.