• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: League Cup 27/8/13 Notts County (h) 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
No way that was a pen on the other end by the way, this ref should have given us 2 as it is.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
What's the likelihood we spend next 15min defending lumped balls into the box

alphakilo

TIA Regular
NZred said:
I refer more to the full strength team he sent out.
Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Gerrard, Sturridge. 5/11. Half-strength. I don't think he planned for those players to come off injured.

If he hadn't sent out a half strength team, it would've been a mostly second-string line-up. Remember what happened last season? Remember what the reaction was from most fans?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
alphakilo said:
I think what happened last season - leading to him being lambasted by many people - influenced a lot of his decision-making for this game.
If he is that weak-willed, we have bigger problems than United on the weekend. Among other things, this competition is such a high priority for his employers that they fired his predecessor when he won the damn thing. Now we are going into the biggest game of the season with our pants around our ankles. Gerrard will be tired, and given the fixture, odds on for a red.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Hope in your heart said:
That's true, when you stand up and fight against it, but that's not how it seems on the pitch right now. Might go to the pens, if Stoke don't score the winner before.
Love the little slipup there on the team name mate :)

We'll get the results we need

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Well done Sturridge ... takes some of the sting out of this ... I did just say we might catch them on the counter but we were lucky not to have a penno against just b4 that.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Probably our best player has gone off injured, groin 3-4 weeks out!! We are asking too much from sturridge!!

Hopefully get a draw on Sunday

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Hope in your heart said:
Yes!!! Completely undeserved, but sweet nevertheless... :)
Toure done, Allen who ran the show done, everyone else completely knackered. Sweet isn't the word for me mate.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
So tough tonight ...and we made it so tough for ourselves too.

Still a man down as well ...so will be a very hard work-out ahead of ManU. I'd have liked a much easier work-out.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Great goal and if we win this game we may be able to pass it off as a important wake up call for our recruitment teamas well as several complacent first teamers. Playing a lot of first teamers in this wasn't just for show, it's also because cover is thin

Though Borini not playing at least some art does suggest a balls up somewhere

Reinforcements needed next week. Maybe a good thing this game was now and not next week really in that its not too late to make up for our up to now indolent behavior in the transfer market

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
King Aldo said:
Well done Sturridge ... takes some of the sting out of this ... I did just say we might catch them on the counter but we were lucky not to have a penno against just b4 that.
Never a penalty that, mate.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
SoueysTash said:
Why though? This team should have trounced them...

Injuries are just one of those things

People should be more philosophical....
Injuries are one of those things that happen - which is why you don't play critical players on short rest 4 days before a key game, particularly in a second tier competition. Not all of Toure, Gerrard, and Sturridge were necessary. When you set out your stall where the worst case is a disaster, you have to live with the bad luck when it comes.

slufsar

SoueysTash said:
Thing is...if he'd have played a weaker team he wouldn't be taking the cups seriously...

You can't account or for tell injuries...just one of those things.

Chin up all...from adversity comes strength....
this is the entire problem: fans who criticise the manager for not taking the carling cup seriously. its not a cup that deserves getting taken seriously. that is why it is played during the week and not the weekend like the fa cup. why you get no money for winning it. you have to play 4 qualifying games for the freaking europa league as a reward for winning it.

it was probably fan-pressure that made him field that team

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
SoueysTash said:
Love the little slipup there on the team name mate :)

We'll get the results we need
Ooops... might have to do with the long balls in the box I expect us having to defend against in the last 15 minutes... :)

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Mascot88 said:
Never a penalty that, mate.
Yeah I know but with the decisions that have gone against us tonight that could have been another one, that's what I was trying to get across.

Feeling a bit better now. At least we'll find out what mood Martin Skrtel is in now. Does he want his place back.

Status
Not open for further replies.