• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match: LFC v SAFC [26th March 20:00] - Dare to Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Another massive game and a chance to go a single f*cking point off the top.... (It's the end of March?)

Lots of questions still remain...
  • Can we handle a midweek game and keep up our fast tempo?
  • Will Gerrard purposely get booked to get the potential 2 match ban out of the way before the Chelsea game?
  • Can S&S continue to blast away the goal scoring records?
  • Where is the best place to head out for a piss up in Liverpool after the game B)

Bobbinho

Good opening post Dublin -

Answers for those questions -

* Yes

* No

* Yes

* IF we win.....anywhere??? lol

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Dublin_Kopite said:
Another massive game and a chance to go a single f*cking point off the top.... (It's the end of March?)

• Will Gerrard purposely get booked to get the potential 2 match ban out of the way before the Chelsea game?
  • Where is the best place to head out for a piss up in Liverpool after the game B)
Gerrard could do with doing that personally unless he can get through til the 2nd sunday of April without another one.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Think this'll be a much easier game than our last few personally, I don't see this one being quite so much an issue. Borini won't be able to play, I think Fletcher is injured and Alonso was sent off today for them. Quite simply I think we'll open them up consistently, beat them in the midfield and they won't pose too much of a threat with the ball.

Wood touched.

After the game, pop in a few boozers on dale st. Ship and Mitre, The Excelsior, Rigby's, Vernon arms etc. Think they probably close at 12 ish though, so you'll have to go into town if you want to carry on after that. I get the impression you'd probably enjoy Mathew's st way more than concert square, but I don't think many places are open on a wednesday. Could get yourself down to Flares, The Grapes, Flanagan's (if it's open). Remeniss and Hardy's too if you fancy, though I wouldn't recommend. Loads of places open on concert square, though they're pretty much the same shit different dickheads. Seel street way is good, Heebie Jeebies, Salt Dog slims, etc and places not far from there; Santa Chupitos, Bar Bodega. Won't go too far wrong up there.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Dublin_Kopite said:

Blatant "I've got a ticket" post.

JamieTheRed

Thinking Sakho will be in the line up for this one. Haven't a clue which 2 from Sterling/Coutinho/Allen will start though!

We haven't played at Anfield since 23rd February which was the 4-3 win against Swansea and it's a great chance to close the gap at the top to a single point.

It will be great if we can get ahead early like usual, build a cushion and so can afford to keep things fresh with Spurs in mind at the weekend. I'm thinking Sunderland are going to come and try to park the bus against us as not only did they fail to score v Norwich away but they will be without Borini. They shouldn't cause us much problems going forward (not that other teams need it with our defense :p).

I've been a nervous wreck in the days leading up to the last few fixtures but i'm really confident about this one.

Predicting a 4-0

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

A couple of changes for this.

1. Back to the 443. The diamond works well when we face an opposition who want to compete in midfield, but showed today that when we face an opponent with no interest in midfield it doesn't. Sunderland will be similar to Cardiff - they'll sit deep and look to hit on the counter.

2. Sakho back in for Agger. The Dane was a real weak link today and we need to get Sakho game time before the tougher games come up.

3. Coutinho to drop into midfield for Allen, in order to provide more attacking impact from midfield.

4. Sterling to slot in on the left of the attack.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Sorry, I love the guy...but Aggers out.

Probably play Coutinho & Sterling and drop Allen for this one - Attack, Attack Attack Attack

lfc.8

Gerrard is sitting on seven yellow cards, is he not. Therefore he can afford another two over the next two games, before facing a suspension.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Agree with Mascot about the line-up and the starting players, if everyone is fit to play.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to also see Cissokho replace Flanagan, who still is a young lad and needs to be managed a bit. I won't be surprised if the three players coming in today will be starting on Wednesday.

Some of our lads might lack a bit of freshness, but so will Sunderland's, and they'll miss one or two important players. Hopefully we can win this seventh game in a row, fingers crossed!

abcd

Liverpool should be much the fresher side really, Sunderland have played a lot more games than Liverpool since the turn of the year. Sunderland's league form has dipped since in and around the Carling Cup final but their form is a bit inconsistent and they have proven themselves awkward opponents on occasion for the bigger sides. Also they are fighting against relegation so will look to park the bus. They lost 2-0 at Norwich today, I doubt confidence is too high there at the moment so a fast start could make all the difference.

A handy stress free win would be great!! Hate calculating potential points so 3 would be great to get a better idea of where things stand and see how City do in their other games in hand then.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
One game at a time, one game at a time, one game at a time, one game at a time......

If I tell my self enough times....

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
redbj said:
One game at a time, one game at a time, one game at a time, one game at a time......
If I tell my self enough times....
Four 'one games at a time'? That takes us through to City, which is surely a must win.

abcd

Mascot88 said:
Four 'one games at a time'? That takes us through to City, which is surely a must win.
Only 3 league games until City visit Anfield?

WrongIslander

I don't like the idea of playing Coutinho in the centre of the field with only Henderson shielding Gerrard. We need to show Sunderland or any team a lot more respect than that.

Migs

Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Flanagan

Gerrard

Henderson - Lucas

Coutinho

Suarez - Sturridge

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Much as I love Agger he should be rested for this, bringing in Sakho.

Think Allen should have a rest,Coutinho into the midfield and start Sterling.

I like the diamond set up but don't think it is needed here,should be able to pick up another 3 points fairly comfortably .

SupaLFC

The guys will relish this game i think. 3 games on the road and 3 wins. We play 4-3-3 in this one most likely. I find it hard to see anything other than a win for us. Sterling and Sakho comes in for Agger and Allen imo. It could be anything upward of 3 goals. Ill say 4-1.

Claymenza

Im surprised Henderson/gerrard are still firing all cylinders. would Rodgers rest them on the bench if needed? Sturridge will hit the 20 goal mark me-thinks. Good on the lad, he's been brilliant on the ball.

Redragbull

SupaLFC said:
The guys will relish this game i think. 3 games on the road and 3 wins. We play 4-3-3 in this one most likely. I find it hard to see anything other than a win for us. Sterling and Sakho comes in for Agger and Allen imo. It could be anything upward of 3 goals. Ill say 4-1.
Agree with your formation and lineup changes, but not the score. Think we will really click for this one, so I'm going for a rout and a half........7-1 to us.

No more diamond formation please. Especially against teams which look to play narrow and clog up the midfield. My team:

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Cissokho​
Gerrard Allen​
Sturridge Coutinho Sterling​
Suarez​
Definitely want to see Sakho come back into the lineup as I believe he is our strongest defender when in form (and will also better deal with the aerial threat posed by Altidore). If he plays well then there would be a case to go with the Skrtel-Sakho partnership for the remainder of the season.

In terms of the other changes I think Flanagan and Hendo both deserve a rest and also did not have the best of games against Cardiff. I think Cissokho was also dropped harshly after Johnson came back so would like to see him being given another chance. Finally the only other change I would consider making is Lucas perhaps coming in for Gerrard if Rodgers feels he needs a rest before the important Spurs game. But if that were to happen it may be a bit more difficult for us to break Sunderland down.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
liverpool_singh said:
Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Cissokho​
Gerrard Allen​
Sturridge Coutinho Sterling​
Suarez​
Agree with above except for Jordan in for Coutinho. Jordan's not "drop-able" at this time.
And Lucas to replace/rest the captain around the 65th and minimize the chance of a yellow. Win this and the Sunday match against Spurs and we could be in for a delirium of a weekend.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
It make sense to have Agger rest for mid-week without damaging his confidence after his previous performance. Sktel however, hopefully still have full stamina in his tank.

Agger really did results in all three of our goals yesterday, sadly to say. The first one, did not close down fast enough. The second, let Campbell, took it pass him too easily. The third, he dropped his marking probably trust on his judgement on moving up make an interception. Of course our CDM should have done better (Gerrard), but the way we set up, we can't afford to

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Before the match against Cardiff I said to keep Agger and Skrtel together, because they managed a couple of clean sheets, so we should build on it. however, since our defence is rubbish, BR can tinker with it as much as he wants, whats the worse that can happen? It can't be any worse than how they played yesterday.

Apart from Sakoh, I would guess BR will play the exact same formation and squad as he did against Cardiff, not because it is Ideal, but I would like to think that he wants to keep a few tricks up his sleeve to the games against City and Chelsea. I will bet you anything you want theat both Mourinho and Pellegrini are watching every game we play, and are trying to get ready for us.

Clive

Really pleased this next match is at Anfield at night. The atmosphere will be electric, the crowd will lift the roof off with noise and I honestly can't see anything but three points.

Perturbations with the formation and Coutinho/sterling choice are not as material as the lift we will get playing at Anfield Wednesday night.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
With Borini and Alonso out and Sunderland currently in the middle of their post-cupfinal slump, this really is an almost guaranteed 3 points, much like City's game against Fulham yesterday. Our fans should be well up for it and hopefully it'll be a great atmosphere.

I'd go back to the 433 we used to dispatch Everton and Arsenal. We're at home, Sunderland is open and we need to improve our goal difference over City. I'd rest Allen, he's both injury prone and important for the run in, especially for the big games against Spurs, City and Chelsea. Therefore I wouldn't risk him playing three games in a week. Instead put Sterling on and go on the attack from the start. It would be perfect if the game is wrapped up at half-time, so we can start resting on the ball during the second half in preparation for next Sunday. An alternative would be start Lucas instead of Allen.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
Dublin_Kopite said:

1) yes
2) we could play Lucas for a few games and save him?
3) absolutely
4) you can find a Liverpool fan in every corner of the world and most bars so doesn't matter which...YNWA

jimbo

TIA Regular
Their full back Alonso is out who got motm couple weeks ago, so they will have to lay someone else in that position.. That means Sterling has to play and terrorise that flank. Can someone explain the yellow card situation with gerrard? I thought he can 3 more before ban

Status
Not open for further replies.