Pre Match: LFC vs Crystal Palace; Saturday 05/10/13; 15.00 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
This weeks game at home to Crystal Palace who sit one place above the bottom and having just one victory to their name, a 3-1 victory at home to Sunderland.

They seem to be shipping goals and their top scorer is Gabbidon (defender) and O'Keefe (a sub). The only other goal scored has been from a penalty by Gayle and all in all they seem very toothless playing just Chamahk up front.

I feel more confident about this game than about Sunderland as i don't see these having anyone to cause us problems or bully us in the game except maybe Kebe. We do however still have our injuries and with Lucas missing through suspension a change is in order.

I'm hoping Kelly is back for the RB spot but if not I'd give Wisdom another shot there. This is because i really want to see Kolo tried at DM. He has everything needed to play there and has shown a few times already Yaya-esque runs at the opponents goal. People will say he's out of position but we don't have a backup DM and he seems to fit perfectly. I do think though that he'll need someone with energy near him such as Hendo.

I've stuck with Moses on the LW as he doesn't seem cut out for CAM and against a team that will no doubt defend for 90 minutes i think we need that little extra up top so I've put Stevie in behind our 2 main strikers. He shouldn't need to cover back much and with those 3 up front joined occasionally with Moses we should just be too much for them.

My prediction for this, and i haven't done this once yet this season, is a 4-0 hammering with Stevie getting on the score sheet.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Henderson to Centre Mid, Sterling to come on in his place.

Same formation

Suarez and Sturridge should grab a few here....

Johnny

Im starting to think Kelly will never get a game.

Put Henderspn into the Cntre and id say Put on Jordan Ibe on the right! He is miles better than Sterling

Johnny

Somthing like this could suit us for this game

I think this front 3 could do some damage against Palace

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
as said in the last game thread - keep agger out - neither of the defenders have no reason to be dropped and keep the same formation - just move henderson in the middle with gerrard and bring in kelly to cover

sanjing07

I would play the same formation, but with Agger in for Lucas. At the closing of the transfer window, many were questioning why we did not buy a backup for Lucas and yet buy another CD in Sakho without shipping Srktel off. I think the next match will be the perfect chance for Agger to show everyone he can be a good CDM. His tackling, heading and attacking abilities are all better than Lucas, not to forget he has a lethal left footed shot, even better than Enrique.

Only difference is Lucas's positioning and timing as a CDM is better as it is his natural position. I think Agger is more than capable of doing job, in fact, he might outshine Lucas if given time to settle into this position. This will be his perfect opportunity.

fergieman

Hoping we don't go to defensive ala southampton match. probably go with the 3-5-2 formation. bring dagger back in if he;s fit.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
fergieman said:
Hoping we don't go to defensive ala southampton match. probably go with the 3-5-2 formation. bring dagger back in if he;s fit.
bringing in agger - is that not being defensive?

RMP

TIA First Team
Lizard said:
bringing in agger - is that not being defensive?
How is that being defensive ? In fact Agger is the best ball playing defender we have so I assume if he's coming in for Sakho or Skrtel it will be better for us going forward.

I'd keep the team as is, no reason to change it

rab

All depends on Allen's fitness. If he's fit a return to 4-2-3-1 would be our best bet with a midfield trio of Allen, Gerrard and Henderson ahead of them. Wide would be Suarez and Moses with licence to interchange with Sturridge up top. At back it's a straight choice between Kolo, Kelly and Wisdom for right back. If Allen isn't fit let's give Alberto a go as the attacking most one of the central three alongside Gerrard and Henderson. If he isn't going to be given a chance against the likes of Palace when is he going to get a game this season?

Don't want to see that 3-4-1-2 formation again. Doesn't give us enough control in the centre of the park. Moses is no central link man and he isn't defensively aware enough to play the wing back role. Only thing it does is allow us Suarez and Sturridge to play centrally up top but both have a tendency to drift wide anyway leaving us short in the middle. We also got exposed down the flanks quite a lot against Sunderland and the whole performance was disjointed.

And can we please stop trying to put Toure in the centre of midfield.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
RMP said:
How is that being defensive ? In fact Agger is the best ball playing defender we have so I assume if he's coming in for Sakho or Skrtel it will be better for us going forward.

I'd keep the team as is, no reason to change it
bringing in another defender in place of lucas is being defensive imo, not that he offers much going forward anyway, but as said the only change i'd make is kelly for lucas then move kelly in place of where henderson played in the last game and put henderson in alongside gerrard

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir

I'd be tempted to give Alberto his first start while trying Moses out as a wing back. Moses is more comfortable as a winger so if Toure helps him out it could work well. Allen if fit might be a safer option than Alberto so I wouldn't have a problem with Joe instead. Don't think Kelly is ready to play 90 minutes at wing back Plus his end product isn't good enough for this formation and since we're playing at home we need to go with more attacking players.

Haven't watched Palace this season so my line up could change during the week as I find out more about our opposition.

gb1986

I really hope we don't start putting CB's into midfield, putting them at full back is one thing but i'd rather stick another striker or winger on and only 2 in midfield than stick a CB in there.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Dont see many changes, other than Kelly replacing suspended Lucas.

Mignolet

Toure - Skrtel - Sakho

Kelly - Henderson - Gerrard - Enrique

Moses

Sturridge - Suarez

bes

Keep the same defense, none of our defenders deserve to be dropped and we should keep it that way until someone faults. Maybe it'll give Agger motivation to come back even better idk, but we'll see

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Alberto is a good shout, it's not really Moses' position and I'd like to see him get some game time.

R

RedRiot

Would like to see three players across the back three who can play very well on the ball, so I'd like to see Sahko move centrally for his aerial capability and have Agger on the left of the three, It could be reversed, but if Agger's back I'd like him back, and I think Sakho and Toure were excellent and I'd love to see Agger added to their general excellence on the ball.

Moses has been okay behind the the front two, but Alberto might be more naturally suited to it. If there's a case most like a Championship side in the league, it's probably Palace, so he should be expected to cope and even flourish.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Martin Kelly isn't fit, that is quite clear. Definitely not match fit. Bringing him in to play WING BACK would possibly kill him. Poor lad.

R

RedRiot

Didn't he play 90 minutes at CB for the reserves several times over a month ago? How long does it take for him to get match fit? I admit playing wingback might be a bit much, but our only other option is Wisdom, no? So we have to go back to a back 4 with either a CB at RB or one at wingback at 3-5-2. I guess our other options are leaving Henderson at wingback and putting Alberto in CM. There aren't a lot of great options here.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Matt said:
Martin Kelly isn't fit, that is quite clear. Definitely not match fit. Bringing him in to play WING BACK would possibly kill him. Poor lad.
Yup, agree with this. It's already good to see him on the bench, and he'll surely get minutes in the next fixtures, but it doesn't make sense to rush him back too soon.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
RedRiot said:
Didn't he play 90 minutes at CB for the reserves several times over a month ago? How long does it take for him to get match fit? I admit playing wingback might be a bit much, but our only other option is Wisdom, no? So we have to go back to a back 4 with either a CB at RB or one at wingback at 3-5-2. I guess our other options are leaving Henderson at wingback and putting Alberto in CM. There aren't a lot of great options here.
Playing wingback is a ridiculous amount of running, far more than a reserve CB...or a traditional RB

R

RedRiot

SoueysTash said:
Playing wingback is a ridiculous amount of running, far more than a reserve CB...or a traditional RB
I'm well aware - the point is, who do we play at wingback if we stick with the 3-5-2 assuming we put Henderson in center midfield? I've seen Moses, but that seems to be pushing credulity.

On top of that, where exactly is Kelly in the process of becoming fit, because he seems not to be an option even for RB at the moment despite being fit enough to play 90 minutes in several matches and even come on at RB for us when needed 3 weeks ago. I'm honestly curious and asking. When can we expect him to be able to play a part?

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
RedRiot said:
I'm well aware - the point is, who do we play at wingback if we stick with the 3-5-2 assuming we put Henderson in center midfield? I've seen Moses, but that seems to be pushing credulity.
Sterling...he played there against County and for 15 mins against sunderland...deserves a shot in the first team.

Wouldn't be happy about changing formations as we seem to be better since we've switched to 352

R

RedRiot

Fair enough, might be okay vs. Palace although I wasn't impressed with him against Sunderland. Might end up drawing a lot of fouls down that side shielding the ball though and winning us possession simply based on that. Not convinced he's a sufficient marker or tackler, but he might have more work forward than he does further back anyway.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
With Lucas out and Allen not match fit to I'd love to see Agger slot into the Lucas role. He has all the attributes to play there. He can read the ball, put a tackle in, play a pass and also go forward with the ball too and the back 3 are so good at the moment he might struggle to get back in yet. I think he would also help Gerrard out too.

Henderson in behind the front two would also get the most out of him as he was wasted out wide and he also has the engine to do box to box for most of the game. Sterling has shown he could play RWB and Moses has strength and a good sense of tracking back to do a LWB role.

There wouldn't be many players that couldn't excel in the positions below against Palace at home IMO

Red Island

How come Ilori is not covering that right back position? is he hurt. I know he is a CB primarily but he has been used in there a few times and surely one of 'one of Europe's Brightest Defensive Talents' would get a run out if there is a few injuries or suspensions?

Edit: I see he had some U21 games to get some match fitness.

YNWAGerrard

I don't see many problems about this match, I'm expecting a hatrick for Suarez and a clean sheet :)

costared

TIA Reserve Team
RedRiot said:
Injuries like his can leave a permanent ,ark. I hope he gets his sharpness back but so far in his U21 games and his sniffs at the first team this has not happened. Look at Lucas,efing realistic surely no one can believe he is as good as he was before being injured.
I cannot see the objections to playing Toure Dm . He has got got forward quite a lot from full back and CB.He is without doubt still a talented and inteligent player.
Alberto has looked a bit lightweight but is still another talented, intelligent player who is a natural in the Coutinho type role.
It will be interesting to see which of many options BR goes for.

R

RedRiot

Yeah but regardless of your opinion of Lucas, he's been deemed fit enough to play and has been played. With Kelly there seems to be some lingering issue with his ability to regain even match fitness, which he probably should have been in the process of regaining over the last 2 months to the point of being an option. I'd be interested to know what it is, particularly since he's also routinely been on the bench during that time. When you're switching to 3 at the back to compensate for your lack of a RB, it seems that even a somewhat match-fit Kelly might at some point have been tried instead.

Putting Toure or Agger at DM is a bit like putting Glen Johnson at right wing. Everyone seems to think it's a great idea but will never happen. Both are experienced CBs at this point, and while granted Toure has had some experience there, I don't think he's at the point where he would be as good tracking players through the middle or pressing in the same way you do in midfield. People have a fascination with playing players out of position when we have players more suited to those positions who train in them everyday. I don't have complete confidence in Henderson, but I have more confidence in him than in Agger or Toure in the midfield.

sanjaya

costared said:
Injuries like his can leave a permanent ,ark. I hope he gets his sharpness back but so far in his U21 games and his sniffs at the first team this has not happened. Look at Lucas,efing realistic surely no one can believe he is as good as he was before being injured.
I cannot see the objections to playing Toure Dm . He has got got forward quite a lot from full back and CB.He is without doubt still a talented and inteligent player.
Alberto has looked a bit lightweight but is still another talented, intelligent player who is a natural in the Coutinho type role.
It will be interesting to see which of many options BR goes for.
Kelly played as RB in his last game for the under 21 side. When he came as a substitute in the game against Manu , the ball was passed to him only a few times by Gerard and Toure. So it is more important that the back line trusts him and gives him more of the ball. This is probably because the established players are waiting for Johnson to come back and are just not bothered about trying to give Kelly a chance. This is something the manager has to look into - specially when he has not asked for any cover at right back during the transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.