• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: LFC vs Man Utd; Sunday 1/09/13; 13.30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
They drew their last match and we won ours in extra time. the rivalry resumes... If we win this one 1-0 i'll be the happiest!
Captain Fantastic to deliver, toure to keep a check on RVP n Coutinho to mesmerize all....

opps forgot tp add the date n time, mods please do the needful.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
There will be a Shankly mosaic on the Kop I believe as it would be his 100th birthday.

Hope United get more confidence from our showing tonight, on the other hand hopefully we'll go in with our heads clear & motivated and just bring it on, let's be smart & brave and finally win a big game like this.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Already having nightmares of RVP doing us in. I would imagine this would be our best bet to get anything from this match.

Coutinho Sturridge Borini

Aspas
Lucas Stevie G

Enrique Agger Skrtel Johnson

Mignolet.

Hope to God Sturridge and Stevie G hold up. Since Allen is injured I would have Coady ready to go in for Aspas if we need more bite in midfield.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Need to have Henderson in there from the start for me... unless, maybe, if Brendan wants to think about later on in the game to keep him as our only proper midfield option. But here I'd definitely start with the best I've got.

Could well be the same side from Stoke/Villa, but with a couple of adjustments.
EDIT: Yeah, Skrtel instead of Toure.

With Cissokho it sounds like he should be fit enough for the bench so unless there are no new arrivals it could be: Jones, Wisdom, Cissokho, Alberto, Sterling, Ibe, Borini. Basically all we've got at the moment in terms of senior options.

WrongIslander

Same as we played against Stoke and Villa.

Change NOTHING. (other than Toure of course. :( )

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
WrongIslander said:
If Toure keeps a check on RVP I'll give you his weekly wage.
RMP said:
If Toure keeps a check on RVP I'll give up my TIA membership
I definitely will love to see Sktel sending him to the medical bay along side Toure, and see you guys lost your wages

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Be surprised if Toure is fit for this, so maybe wages aren't at risk.
Assume we have the Agger/Skrtel at CB, not at all unhappy with this,they were a good pairing and with a little faith can be again.

Otherwise the same as the Villa game for me, we usually stand up to be counted in this fixture and expect we will again.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
This game has been made a lot harder due to tonights performance.

My team would be

Mignolet

Johnson sktrel agger Enrique

Lucas Gerrard

Sterling Henderson coutinho

Sturridge
Subs
Jones wisdom Alberto rossiter/teixeria(if he is still here) borini aspas ibe

RazvanLFC

Hmm last 4 games between Moyes and Rodgers in the premier league:

Swansea Everton 0 - 2
Everton Swansea 1 - 0
Liverpool Everton 0 - 0
Everton Liverpool 2 - 2 if i remember correctly we had a valid goal in the 90th minute and should have won it but the result remains

Time for a win right?
I hope we`re gonna be more clinical in front of goal this time.

My team for this one is:

Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Lucas Gerrard
Aspas Henderson Coutinho
Sturridge

Will Skrtel be up for it though?
I dont feel really confident about this one to be honest...

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
I'm confident that we will get results, as long as we are allowed to play with 11 men for 90 minutes, and will not be penalised for Valencia/Saha tripping on his own leg in our box.....

.... basically means we are screwed...

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Well Rodgers has had 2 losses and 2 draws so this would be a pretty cool season if we are following patterns (desperate right?)

We have to be clinical in front of goal though as we may only get 4 or 5 chances

NZred

The Red From NZ
I would take a draw. Depending on our back line though I think we can win. if Skittles plays he WILL cost us at least a goal. Certainly a game we need to be clinical.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
I'm interested to see how United will approach this game. Van Persie gives Moyes license to set up to defend, but whilst they might boast a goal a game striker, so do we. I wouldn't be surprised if we set up with five at the back...? On the other hand, I of course expect a questionable red card/penalty/both within the first half to render any tactical contrivance on our part utterly pointless.

A win, a nervy win, but a win nonetheless. Similar to Villa. 1-0.

Red_IndianLFC

TIA New Signing
gingerbread said:
Win this, Arsenal hold Spur and we top the league.

Easy enough
Yep if results go our way and we win, we'll go clear at the top. And actually stay there for more a couple of weeks, over the international break. When was the last time that happened? Although beating United with our depleted and tired squad wont be easy but let's hope United are pushed equally hard today and we have an extra day of rest.

Too soon for "We're going to win the league"??

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Our "senior" squad is so thin it's not even funny anymore. FSG you need to fatten us up. Try playing baseball without your top pitcher thin.

That's what they don't get. In football you have a "pitcher-like" player in 11 positions.

Regarding our psychic state, I'm not as concerned. I actually think that the tough time we had last night will work to our benefit.

Hoping for a 2-1 win and finally allow us to celebrate.

Most likely though: 1-1

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
-------------Mignolet---------------

Johnson--Skrtel--Agger ---Enrique

---------Lucas ---Gerrard -------

Aspas-----Henderson ---Coutinho

------------Sturridginho-----------

I hope Skrtel has something to prove!!
With Toure out I feel pretty peesimistic.
Ill take a draw, just don't want to lose!

LiVeRp0oL89

Long way to go between now and Sunday and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we had a new centre back on the bench at that point. Still optimistic we can get a good result against the Mancs but obviously the loss of Toure is a blow considering his early season form and his promising partnership with Agger.. No pressure Skrtel lad!

I hope the physio's are working overtime this week! Crucial for players like Gerrard, Sturridge and especially Agger to be fit for this game. The best thing about this game is that there's a two week break after it! Hopefully Rodgers pull the old 'players have got a niggle' line so Sturridge and co. don't get international call up's ;)

tesh

TIA New Signing
canucky008 said:

I just want to win! Beating them this early could be a huge boost for us and bit of a blow for them.

I'd swap Aspas with with Sterling or Ibe. At the very least, I'd get one of Ibe or Sterling on after 60 minutes.

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Long way to go between now and Sunday and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we had a new centre back on the bench at that point. Still optimistic we can get a good result against the Mancs but obviously the loss of Toure is a blow considering his early season form and his promising partnership with Agger.. No pressure Skrtel lad!

I hope the physio's are working overtime this week! Crucial for players like Gerrard, Sturridge and especially Agger to be fit for this game. The best thing about this game is that there's a two week break after it! Hopefully Rodgers pull the old 'players have got a niggle' line so Sturridge and co. don't get international call up's ;)
Gerrard is unlikely to be pulled as he will likely lead and further the games are not friendlies so he is more likely to play both...

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
tesh said:

I just want to win! Beating them this early could be a huge boost for us and bit of a blow for them.

I'd swap Aspas with with Sterling or Ibe. At the very least, I'd get one of Ibe or Sterling on after 60 minutes.

Gerrard is unlikely to be pulled as he will likely lead and further the games are not friendlies so he is more likely to play both...
How can we pull him there isn't anyone to replace him now Allen is out.

tesh

TIA New Signing
therealkeano1 said:
How can we pull him there isn't anyone to replace him now Allen is out.
A strategic substitution at 85 minuts, when we're 4 nil up of course, then say he has a right buttock cheep strain!

Truth be told, if he is fit then he will probably want to play...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
nimitzz said:
(...)

opps forgot tp add the date n time, mods please do the needful.
Title edited. I'dd ask you and any other lad who'll initiate a pre-match thread, to do it from now on. Cheers.

hab88

TIA Reserve Team
Why so serious everyone? Sure we lost three players yesterday, but out of those three only Kolo was sure to start the game on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, his loss is quite a blow but I expect Skrtel to seize his chance and be really up for it. Of course, his lack of match practice is a worry, and it could always go the other way, so you never know.

I wouldn't be too worried about RvP on his own up front, but I'd want to cut off his supply from the wings and through the middle via Rooney. van Persie needs only half a chance to score, and we'd be wise to deny him that. And that is my worry. We've been left a little exposed through the middle at times, and highly susceptible to the counter, and United could really use that to their advantage. Lucas, Stevie and Hendo are really gonna have to put in a disciplined, high energy shift on Sunday, and I think it'll be the midfield where the game will be won.

We've got to go for the win right from the start though, we've got early season momentum going for us and it would be a shame to see it go to waste. Beating United is always a bonus, plus we're at home and with the international break coming up and a chance to be table toppers for at least a fortnight is too good to pass.

I think we'll win 2-0.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Wouldn't be disappointed with a point at this stage. At the end of that day we have to beat the also rans and shite primarily, results in these games at the moment are a bit of a bonus. Mind you at home would expect us to give it a go and if Sturridge remains fit and Skrtel is switched on enough to take over from Toure we should be capable of getting something if we play well

As ever van Persie is the big threat. Always seems to ruin our defence, he's a bit like Drogba in that respect. Think we are capable of testing out their back line in turn but that's where the main problem will likely be. That and the midweek game might have sucked a bit of energy and momentum out even though we managed to get a result eventually so it's likely to be a rough afternoon at the office. On the other side, Moyes doesn't cut as intimidating figure as the ogre like ferguson as a coach, so we shouldn't show too much fear

lovepool

No way should we be settling for a point at home against a team that has Phil Jones at RB Danny Welbeck as an attacking midfielder. Their central midfield of Carrick Cleverley and maybe Giggs doesn't exactly fill me with fear either.

It will not be easy but we are well capable of winning this game and at the same time heap pressure on Moyes

nowthen

TIA Youth Team
That toure injury was a massive blow for us last night. its not just the way he has been playing but the way he organises the defence.
A forward line of RVP wellbeck and that fat little shrek pig is definitely one to fear. Would have been a lot more confident with toure on board.
Wellbeck gave skrtel an awful roasting at old trafford last year.

The squad is very thin. we really need some quality additions.

The first 11 will probably be the same with skrtel coming in for toure. the options on the bench will not be great. Probably sterling, borini, ibe, alberto on the bench.
Who from that will be making a difference if they come on. Probably only Sterling.

While the first 11 that has started the first few games has been good it just shows how one injury can change our side.
The defence looked so much better than last year with toure playing.
On the plus side dan the man is on fire. but he looks like the only one who will get us a goal. Not many other goal threats in the team. Henderson has started off well too.
If i am honest I would take a draw now but I am always pessimistic going into these games. They are horrible to watch. No other game like it.
If we are winning i am absolutely shitting myself that we will concede and if we are losing its just torture watching it hoping we will score. Its just stomach churning stuff.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
nowthen said:
That toure injury was a massive blow for us last night. its not just the way he has been playing but the way he organises the defence.
A forward line of RVP wellbeck and that fat little shrek pig is definitely one to fear. Would have been a lot more confident with toure on board.
Wellbeck gave skrtel an awful roasting at old trafford last year.

The squad is very thin. we really need some quality additions.

The first 11 will probably be the same with skrtel coming in for toure. the options on the bench will not be great. Probably sterling, borini, ibe, alberto on the bench.
Who from that will be making a difference if they come on. Probably only Sterling.

While the first 11 that has started the first few games has been good it just shows how one injury can change our side.
The defence looked so much better than last year with toure playing.
On the plus side dan the man is on fire. but he looks like the only one who will get us a goal. Not many other goal threats in the team. Henderson has started off well too.
If i am honest I would take a draw now but I am always pessimistic going into these games. They are horrible to watch. No other game like it.
If we are winning i am absolutely shitting myself that we will concede and if we are losing its just torture watching it hoping we will score. Its just stomach churning stuff.
I'd have taken a draw at the start of the season but sayin that we have to go try and win it and not do a Chelsea on it.

It will be a bit harder but if sktrel steps up like he did under kenny we will be fine and hopefully he can win back some trust with Rodgers. He has the ability and Rodgers has been a bit harsh on him as it took the whole squad a while to adjust and sktrel seems to be a victim of last year transition.

I am a bit worried about Gerrard and his fitness levels, will he be able to school cheverly and Carrick after playing 120min. Our midfield on paper is stronger than utd and if sturridge fitness is up to scratch then he'll cause vidic and Ferdinand trouble with his pace and power ala torres did back when.

Status
Not open for further replies.