• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match: LFC vs Spurs [30th March 16:00]

Status
Not open for further replies.

starshadow

Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur​
30th Of March At 16:00​
Anfield​

Here we go boys this is slightly bigger game than the last game which was also big!

With Coutinho looking brilliant against the black cats last night i expect the team to remain unchanged, we have to play Stevie despite the large threat of a yellow in this game, what would have happened last night if we benched him to avoid a yellow? We can't play the guessing game, play the best team and go for the win!

A win against the Spurs at Anfield and it all but seals a minimum fourth place finish so we can concentrate on brining home number 19! And with that fantastic atmosphere last night, I think we'll do it, we have 12 men on the pitch.

Also remember pray to whatever gods you believe in that Chelsea slip up and Arsenal perform a miracle and give Man City a game! By the time kickoff comes at Anfield we may know a win could move us into first place!

YNWA! Believe!

Needless to say but another must win game to remain in the title chase. Hopefully Arsenal can do us a favor and take some point off Man City. I'm a bit worried that Spurs will have had an extra few days rest and we didn't finish that strongly against Sunderland. I actually think it will be a harder game compared to the away one as this time the impetus will be on us to win the game and Spurs can sit back and absorb the pressure while waiting to counter attack when we lose the ball. That's why a positive start and an early goal will be crucial to the outcome of this match.

Personally I would scrap this diamond formation. Not a big fan of it (especially at home) as it makes our game too narrow and also means less support for the full back when defending. I would go with the following:

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flanno​
Hendo Gerrard Coutinho​
Sturridge Suarez Sterling​
That was the back line that featured in the 5-0 win at WHL and I'd be keen to get Sakho in to provide a more physical presence in the back. However, knowing Brendan's thinking I'm almost certain we will see the exact same team as yesterday with the only change being perhaps Sterling coming in for Coutinho.

Let's smash these! :D

http://motd.lfc.vn/spurs-liverpool-hd-s14-w16/

starshadow

liverpool_singh said:
Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flanno​
Hendo Gerrard Coutinho​
Would tend to agree with this line up, Coutinho needs to push forward into the middle behind the front 3 with Hendo and Gerrard sitting behind.

Its actually pretty hard for me to leave Allen out, he's been an unsung hero for me as of late.

And yes Adebayor is back

jimbo

TIA Regular
starshadow said:
Would tend to agree with this line up, Coutinho needs to push forward into the middle behind the front 3 with Hendo and Gerrard sitting behind.

Its actually pretty hard for me to leave Allen out, he's been an unsung hero for me as of late.

And yes Adebayor is back
I Hate Adebayor is a thorn in the backside, a very good player. The only thing going against Spurs is Sherwood the mans a moron. i hope is kicking and screaming on the touch line as normal.

-adebayor
-Lennon
-Eiksen
-Sidgurson

we need to watch these 4.. thats why we need to play

...........Gerrard........Allen...........Henderson

Flano will need help from Allen against Lennon. But Sterling could also terrorise Rose.
Hope rodgers knows what hes doing

starshadow

jimbo said:
I Hate Adebayor is a thorn in the backside, a very good player. The only thing going against Spurs is Sherwood the mans a moron. i hope is kicking and screaming on the touch line as normal.

-adebayor
-Lennon
-Eiksen
-Sidgurson

we need to watch these 4.. thats why we need to play

...........Gerrard........Allen...........Henderson

Flano will need help from Allen against Lennon. But Sterling could also terrorise Rose.
Hope rodgers knows what hes doing
Yeah its why i am fond of Allen in games like these but who do you take off? Its got to be either Sterling or Coutinho.

For me, the fact of the matter is we are at home and are feared for our goal scoring so i'd be willing to believe Hendo and Gerrard are enough to subdue the Spurs midfield and grab some goals out of this one.

Make no mistake about it, this will be a tough one. We have 7 cup finals to play for, this is Spurs one and only cup final. They lose here and any notion of Champions League footy dies for at least a year.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
I thought stuffing them at the Lane would have helped me to get rid of the pi$$%^d off feeling I have for them and Levy seeing as how they deliberately have targeted us specifically as the club they want to replace in the PL pecking order.

I'm glad they have had such a disappointing season ... and I hope we stuff them again at the weekend.

This will be a tougher test, I reckon they thought they were going to batter us at home last time, but this time they will probably set up like Sunderland and reckon they will be more of a threat on the break than Sunderland were, which is true.

Its incredible, every successive game becomes the most important game of the season so far. Its also true with this one, but I am confident we can win it.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I've got this terrible feeling we're going to see Gerrard & Lucas in the midfield for some reason...

Can definitely see Gerrard getting booked in this one, confident that BR will be able to outwit the "facking mug" Sherwood, expect Spurs to follow the Sunderland model and keep it very tight with a bank of 4 & 5.

Coutinho should start, hopefully the same team as yesterday - I can't see both Cou & Sterling starting due to the midfield battle I expect us to have...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Difficut game ahead against a quality side, but the lads will surely be 100% focused, as this is a big game, which will, in the case of a victory, hand us that fourth spot (with a good chance on third and still an outside chance on the title).

It comes three days after the Sunderland game, so it will be interesting to see whether BR decides to make changes or not. In my opinion, there are good reasons to make maybe a couple of changes: fatigue of certain players at the end of the match against Sunderland, and a couple of players not performing that consistently yesternight.

As Tottenham have to win in order to close the gap on us, they'll have to play football, so adding Sterling to the starting line-up would make sense in order to exploit the space they'll give us to a maximum.

This is maybe a game which Coutinho can sit out. He was exactly what we needed against a Sunderland side all focused on defending. It's no wonder that one of his through-balls finally unlocked the game. But here, we'll need pace, fighting spirit and penetration power.

I'd go for a 433 (the formation we used when we trashed them 5-0 at WHL), and with these players, providing they are all 100% fit and raring to go:

Suarez Sturridge Sterling​
Henderson Allen​
Gerrard​
Cissokho Agger Skrtel Flanagan​
Mignolet​

If some players are tired, slightly injured etc. after yesterday's game, don't hesitate to make changes. The potential replacement players will all be 100% up for it.

Edit: there is maybe also a case for Sakho playing instead of Agger, given the danger Adebayor can provide with his physical game, but on the other hand, Skrtel and Agger haven't been too bad lately, so maybe it's too much of a risk to throw Sakho in at this stage.

OhYaBeauty

Two big things for me:

Scrap the diamond. I've never been a big fan of it personally as it takes away from the fun of our matches. Our best results come when we play the 4-3-3 because it allows us to counter at lightning speed and press high up the pitch. The diamond takes a bit away from our press to add to overall defensive solidity but makes it far more difficult to hit teams on the break. I've not been too convinced by it these last four games (we've gotten wins, but we haven't looked as good as we did prior to the switch in wins against Arsenal, Everton, and Spurs) and I think it's time to change, especially as it was the 4-3-3 that undid Spurs last time and still they might not see it coming (as we've been playing with the diamond so frequently recently).

Sakho plays for Agger. I don't really understand why, because Agger is one of my favorite players, but I have this feeling that we'd do better with Sakho. His aerial ability and tendency to come out of defense to cut out the opponent's attacks early seems a good thing to have against Adebayor, Chadli, and Eriksen. Plus, both Agger and Skrtel seem to prefer being last-ditch type defenders. Add the opposite to Skrtel, and I think we'd have better balance.

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flanagan​
Gerrard​
Henderson Coutinho​

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
We thought Soton away was our true test. We thumbed them. Then we thought OT will be our most important game of the season, we thumbed them again.

It's all set up for us, see. Spur fixture will be hard, but they will walk away with 0 point. City then will be the next test and we will defeat them again. And finally, the final boss, Chelsea. We will win against Mourinho's mind game, along with the last 2 games to steal the EPL crown

Of course Spur first. Even without taking a game at a time, our grudge toward them was still personal, for all those time they kicked us when we were down (especially with our transfer). So there is no reason to not put 110% into it.

All Day

TIA Reserve Team
Is it weird that I am less nervous about this game than I was about Sunderland? I think Spurs will try to play and if they continue with their high line Sturridge and Suarez will take advantage. I think that it is not in their nature to play a deep line so I am anticipating that Sterling will start. Coutinho looked good this week but he also looked dog tired by the end of the game. I would bring in Sterling for his pace to attack their back line.

I also hope we get Sakho back in the game. Forwards like Adebayor seem to give Agger fits. Skrtel is fine when he isn't dragging men down by their shirts but Agger makes me very nervous vs. tall forwards who are strong in the air.

Really hope Arsenal find it in them to at least get a draw from City. Not counting on it but we can hope.

starshadow

^^

I am less nervous about it too,

Its just down to expectations, everyone expected us to hammer Sunderland last night.

The pressure of doing just that got to us and the players clearly.

Spurs are a much better side so although we expect a win, no one believes it will be easy hence less pressure.

Looking on the Spurs forums for a line up and they all expect Adebayor up front and Sigurdsson through the middle.

I have a feeling this game will produce a few goals...

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Right now we're at that strange phase of the season where playing a game against the #18 of the league might be harder than playing against the #5. Frankly Spurs got fuck all to play for, their season is over. If Arsenal get a result on Saturday it will be the final nail in their coffin. Hopefully they won't be up for fighting for every inch of the pitch.

Tactics Tim has given them a suicidal high line during the past few matches. Amazingly it has only cost them one goal, but that had more to do with the finish skills of the opposition rather than any particular virtue of Spurs. Should they play the same way on Sunday, then a repeat scoreline of December is on the cards. I'd be very temped to throw caution in the wind a bit and try and blitz them like we did against Arsenal and Everton. This means Coutinho and Sterling should both start.

That being said, Spurs have still got good players. Eriksen and Adebayor are both capable of hurting us. Soldado played well last week as a hold up man, creating space and opportunities for others. We will be punished if we don't show up.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
It's probably a bit of a dilemma this for Tottenham. With seven points up to Arsenal and Arsenal to play City this is a chance they simply have to grab with both hands. One point won't be enough for them; if they have any sort of ambition of grabbing 4th they probably have to win their remaining games. Lose this one and they're probably four behind Everton (who go to Fulham), with Everton having a game in hand.

However, if they go for it and play the same high line they've been playing we'll tear them to pieces (unless their midfield suddenly start doing their job and actually press the ball). Could be game over after thirty minutes, like it should have been for them against Southampton. Some absolutely shocking defending in that game by Tottenham; Southampton could have scored four or five in the first half.

I'd go back to 4-3-3 for this one, with Coutinho in midfield and Sterling or Sturridge on the right to take advantage of the weakness they've shown on the left side of their defence. Maybe play Sakho instead of Agger, to deal with Adebayor.

koptician

We'll go again!
They will try for a win. They've talked about beating us in the press many times and 1 point does them no good. That plays into our hands, as long as we nullify their threats as well. It won't be easy but perversely it may be easier than last night as they won't sit back with 3 centre backs in front of a 5-man midfield.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Same Team. Same tempo, fight till the end. Believe. Results will follow.

TheSweetSilverSong

Hope in your heart said:
Difficut game ahead against a quality side, but the lads will surely be 100% focused, as this is a big game, which will, in the case of a victory, hand us that fourth spot (with a good chance on third and still an outside chance on the title).

It comes three days after the Sunderland game, so it will be interesting to see whether BR decides to make changes or not. In my opinion, there are good reasons to make maybe a couple of changes: fatigue of certain players at the end of the match against Sunderland, and a couple of players not performing that consistently yesternight.

As Tottenham have to win in order to close the gap on us, they'll have to play football, so adding Sterling to the starting line-up would make sense in order to exploit the space they'll give us to a maximum.

This is maybe a game which Coutinho can sit out. He was exactly what we needed against a Sunderland side all focused on defending. It's no wonder that one of his through-balls finally unlocked the game. But here, we'll need pace, fighting spirit and penetration power.

I'd go for a 433 (the formation we used when we trashed them 5-0 at WHL), and with these players, providing they are all 100% fit and raring to go:

Suarez Sturridge Sterling​
Henderson Allen​
Gerrard​
Cissokho Agger Skrtel Flanagan​
Mignolet​

If some players are tired, slightly injured etc. after yesterday's game, don't hesitate to make changes. The potential replacement players will all be 100% up for it.

Edit: there is maybe also a case for Sakho playing instead of Agger, given the danger Adebayor can provide with his physical game, but on the other hand, Skrtel and Agger haven't been too bad lately, so maybe it's too much of a risk to throw Sakho in at this stage.
Lots of good points there, except that for the same reason you'd want to put Sterling (Spurs having to play football, i.e. an open game), it's where Coutinho shines - yesterday he was excellent in the 2nd half especially, after we had opened the score and Sunderland came more forward.

If he can replicate the pressing done vs Arsenal alongside Henderson, he's the man in the midfield together with Hendo and Gerrard for me, in a 4-3-3.

I haven't watched Spurs since we thrashed them, and have no idea how their game changed, I only know that they started to get better results (Chelsea game excluded), and I'm curious to know how. Do they play deeper, do they counter attack, do they build up from the wings or centrally or vary it? I know Adebayor was on form, and would be the one to stop..

It's Anfield, so I'm expecting Sturridge to keep scoring at Anfield, he somehow does! And I think that Suarez is slowly burning, but still scored a hat-trick vs Cardiff, then didn't yesterday, and I hope there's a pattern where when he doesn't score will spur him on (pun intended) to at least score in the game after (which would be vs Spurs).

In any case, just hope we can see some more of our best playing..

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Arg. Fuck knows.

I want Sakho in - seeing Skrtel and Agger (and Gerrard) allowing that ball to whistle past them in the six yard box for Ki's goal made me think all the more that we have to get the beast back in the side.

In midfield I'm torn between my belief that a Lucas/Gerrard midfield lacks energy, and my belief that Gerrard will get a yellow without someone to do the dirty work for him.

-----------------Mignolet--------------
Johnson--Skrtel--Sakho--Flanno
-----------------Gerrard----------------
--------Henderson--Coutinho-------
----Suarez---Sturridge---Sterling--

Maybe. I don't know.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
i agree with others scrap the diamond for this game.
Spuds are a threat on the wings so we need to nulify them but also play our own attacking game give them alot more to worry about we are at home and are on fire.

Mingolet

Johnson Skrtel Agger Flanagan

Gerrard

Henderson Allen(Lucas) Sterling

Suarez Sturridge

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Why not put Lucas in front of the back four and push Gerrard up nearer the attack for a game.
We may need Lucas defending for the bigger games.
Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Agger Flanagan

Lucas

Gerrard Henderson
Coutinho

Sturrdge Suarez

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Last time we played Tottenham, it was on a late Sunday afternoon fixture, and we all know how that one panned out...

Omen? ;-)

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Mascot88 said:
-----------------Mignolet--------------
Johnson--Skrtel--Sakho--Flanno
-----------------Gerrard----------------
--------Henderson--Coutinho-------
----Suarez---Sturridge---Sterling--
That'd be my team too. Gerrard's yellow conundrum is, to my mind, the only thing that might change the starting 11. Bring in Lucas for Gerrard maybe but bring him back if it's not going well second half. I guess it's decisions like this that make a good manager great. I'm going to be conservative and predict a tense 4-2 with them scoring first. Think I'll have a £1 on it too. Although wouldn't it be great if we can do what we did with Newcastle and keep repeating the same scoreline :)

lovepool

Why do people still want Suarez on the wing when Rodgers explicitly said he will play him up top in his best position??

--------Gerard
Henderson-----Coutinho
-------Sterling
Sturridge-----Suarez

This is our best attacking front 6 and I hope we use it against Spurs. Allen was brought into the side to improve us defensively but it has not worked against Cardiff or Sunderland and our left side of Agger Flanagan and Allen has been poor. Get Sterling back in and he will brings more goals and pace to the team

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
It worked against Swansea, United and Southampton though. And we only conceded 1 goal from a set piece against Sunderland.

Still, I'd revert back to 433 with Sterling coming in for Allen. Play a similar game as we did vs Everton and Arsenal.

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
Mignolet

Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flanagan

Gerrard

Henderson Coutinho

Sterling Sturridge Suarez

lovepool

Kyle Walker is constantly bombing forward from RB and we do not want Suarez wasting energy chsing him from a left wing position. Play Suarez and Sturridge as a front two and let them exploit the Spurs CBs when Rose and Walker go forward. Dawson will be especially vulnerable against our attackers

LiVeRp0oL89

Walker's touch and go to play isn't he? Physioroom has him down as injured. Will be more than happy to see Naughton line up against us.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
I don't think Sherwood will be stupid enough to use Dawson. If it's one thing the 5-0 at WHL taught him...

Status
Not open for further replies.