• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre match Liverpool FC vs Aston Villa 18th Jan; 17.30 k.o.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Interesting game this. With the exception of the 1st game of the season vs. Arsenal, Villa have lost all their games against the big boys. We go into this game having struggled with balls lumped into the box and know that we have struggled against (a currently out of form) Benteke in the past.

Next up Everton & Arsenal. Personally 7points from 9 must be our minimum taegetted return. If we manage a good win vs. Villa then our confidence should be back at pre City/Chelsea levels - add to that a squad which is returning to fitness and hopefully an addition or two!

I am unsure of how the fitness of Agger/Sakho are but we need one of them back asap.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Can't disagree with the lineup you've suggested, although I don't think we'll see a 4-4-2. I'd expect Gerrard to be deep lying with Henderson and Coutinhio in the middle and Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge up top interchanging.

Would defenitly prefer to see all four of Sterling, Suarez, Coutinhio and Sturridge start - go hard at Villa early in the game rather than let them get a foothold.

But I'm not convinced BR will take this approach. He may we start with the same 11 from Sunday and bring Sturridge off the bench again for minutes as he regains fitness.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the 4-4-2 formation (even with the Suarez and Sturridge partnership) as it can leave us a bit exposed in midfield. Also with Villa likely playing a 5-3-2 formation I would be inclined to go 3 at the back (which would also mean we would be without two of our more inconsistent performers in Johnson and Cissokho).

My formation:

Mignolet​
Skrtel Toure Sakho​
Lucas​
Sterling Gerrard Hendo Coutinho​
Suarez Sturridge​
Really hope we don't underestimate these lot. A win here will give us a lot of confidence going into the derby game!

rab

liverpool_singh said:
Personally am not a huge fan of the 4-4-2 formation (even with the Suarez and Sturridge partnership) as it can leave us a bit exposed in midfield. Also with Villa likely playing a 5-3-2 formation I would be inclined to go 3 at the back (which would also mean we would be without two of our more inconsistent performers in Johnson and Cissokho).

My formation:

Mignolet​
Skrtel Toure Sakho​
Lucas​
Suarez Sturridge​
Really hope we don't underestimate these lot. A win here will give us a lot of confidence going into the derby game!
Perhaps a little too attacking to have Sterling and Coutinho effectively playing as wing backs. That would leave a hell of a lot of space out wide for them to attack.

I don't think we should be adapting our formation to counter Villa. They will be worried about us that's for sure. I'd probably go with the following. Toure in if Sakho isn't fit and I think we need Alberto rather than Lucas to help retain the ball higher up the pitch and provide some attacking threat. Henderson can play the box to box type role to support Gerrard in the defensive side of things and Alberto going forward. Coutinho gets a break given he's not playing that well right now and the front three have license to roam and interchange.

--------------------Mignolet -------------------

Johnson --- Skrtel --- Sakho --- Cissokho

------------------ Gerrard ---------------------

---------- Henderson ----- Alberto ----------

Sterling ------ Suarez ------ Sturridge ------

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
I have to agree with everyone in terms of avoiding 442 but I do think we will see a bastardised version of that or 433 with Coutinho tucking into the middle and Sterlings position on the right being a little deeper - thats why I went with a 442 in my original post. I must say that I think we should avoid 352 as much as possible but that is a personal preference.

rab said:
Perhaps a little too attacking to have Sterling and Coutinho effectively playing as wing backs. That would leave a hell of a lot of space out wide for them to attack.
Sterling and Coutinho won't be playing as wing backs but rather as wide midfielders. Lucas in the DM role to shield the back 3 should be enough to counter Villa's attack and with Villa themselves playing with only wing backs to provide them width I wouldn't be too worried about defending the wide areas. Also with a backline of Skrtel/Toure/Sakho it will enable us to better deal with Villa's aerial threat and physicality.

That's my take on things anyway but I would be equally happy to see a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation. I just feel that one of Suarez or Sturridge needs to be able to drop back when defending (something we didn't do against Stoke just before they scored their 3rd goal).

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Looks like Benteke picked it up against the Arse after a period of poor form. Is the sort of striker our defenders struggle with

But have to expect this years game to be better than last years clusterfuck. Also this season is looking like evolving in to the sort of season where unlike in the past you just need to win at home against the rubbish, you also need to win away against them as well just to scrape the last CL spot. So no option but a home win. No fuck ups please

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Small blunder with the date in the title.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
RichLFC said:
Looks like Benteke picked it up against the Arse after a period of poor form. Is the sort of striker our defenders struggle with

But have to expect this years game to be better than last years clusterfuck. Also this season is looking like evolving in to the sort of season where unlike in the past you just need to win at home against the rubbish, you also need to win away against them as well just to scrape the last CL spot. So no option but a home win. No fuck ups please
You should win this game . Their defence is pretty poor and you got two fit hungury forwards fit again who ripped many teams up front this season.

But of course villa away can be bit of unpredictable fish and with benteke getting some form going against us and the damage he did to you at anfield last year you got to be wary of their threat.

It going to be good game to sure but you need to win this and i think you wiill. Think your win 4-2

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Wonder if sahko could come into this one and do a man marking job on beneteke
Skerts is a liability at times, though he did have a sort of settled half in the 2nd against Stoke

ptt

2020, head of the table.
liverpool_singh said:
Personally I am not a huge fan of the 4-4-2 formation (even with the Suarez and Sturridge partnership) as it can leave us a bit exposed in midfield. Also with Villa likely playing a 5-3-2 formation I would be inclined to go 3 at the back (which would also mean we would be without two of our more inconsistent performers in Johnson and Cissokho).

My formation:

Mignolet​
Skrtel Toure Sakho​
Lucas​
Suarez Sturridge​
That's the kind of formation I used to play in some football manager program on my phone a few years ago. I bought the best strikers and played them all up front. We scored more than them, that was for sure! I like the lineup and could see it happening but probably only in the last 20 minutes of the FA Cup final if we're 3 down. Any team playing against that formation over stocks the wings and they'll get cross after cross after cross in. Sterling and Cou as wingbacks might be stunning going forward but tracking back and tackling? Doubt it but I REALLY like the lineup!

ptt

2020, head of the table.
rab said:

I don't think we should be adapting our formation to counter Villa. They will be worried about us that's for sure. I'd probably go with the following. Toure in if Sakho isn't fit and I think we need Alberto rather than Lucas to help retain the ball higher up the pitch and provide some attacking threat. Henderson can play the box to box type role to support Gerrard in the defensive side of things and Alberto going forward. Coutinho gets a break given he's not playing that well right now and the front three have license to roam and interchange.

--------------------Mignolet -------------------

Johnson --- Skrtel --- Sakho --- Cissokho

------------------ Gerrard ---------------------

---------- Henderson ----- Alberto ----------

Sterling ------ Suarez ------ Sturridge ------
Yes, that lineup will do nicely for me. Gerrard in his new position with the engine of Henderson and the invention of Alberto feeding the 3 best forwards in the league. Switch Alberto for Cou at 60 minutes as Cou needs minutes but he's never going to cover the midfield behind 3 attackers for 90 minutes.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Mignolet, Cissokho, Sakho, Kolo, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge.

I'd bench Coutinho, give the lad a rest - he might find his shooting boots if he's given some time out of the starting 11. This formation allows us to be solid yet still score goals, despite Villa being rubbish and us being at home. I'd still err on the side of caution then bring Coutinho on when we're a few goals to the good to really bump up the goal difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if BR went 3 at the back with Johnson dropped for Sterling at RWB...hope not though...

anglian_red

Mignolet

Kelly, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson

Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard

Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez

Arminius

FSG PR plant
RichLFC said:

I am not sure that he really did, despite the goal. Maybe two moments, both of which were as much down to Arsenal not taking him seriously any more (our Arsenal forum visitor appears to deem that 'magnificent'). His movement was poor, really only showed any energy in the last 15 minutes. Last year, he ripped us apart with some very impressive central runs with and without the ball. He scarcely seemed to be looking for them. Agbonlahor was by far the more dangerous player.

The worrying thing for me is simply the fact that lax defense appeared to wake him up a little. I am not sure we have the defensive concentration to deny him service from midfield and shut down his angles for 90 minutes. I'd hate to be the side that did actually pick up his game again.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Really want to see Gerrard in the holding role again, and since Lucas can't play anywhere else I would rather see Alberto brought into the side.

Rest of the side picks itself, and you'd really hope that we'd have enough to see off Villa.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Mascot88 said:

Really want to see Gerrard in the holding role again, and since Lucas can't play anywhere else I would rather see Alberto brought into the side.

Rest of the side picks itself, and you'd really hope that we'd have enough to see off Villa.
Don't think i'd drop Sterling on current form tbh. I'd try Stevie in DM again with orders to keep track of Benteke and tell Hendo just ahead of him to track back and help out. I'd also start DS, take him off if we're winning by a few goals toward the hour mark. The rest depends on injuries.

----------------------------------------Migs----------------------------------
Glen---------------------Toure-------------Sakho-----------Cissokho
--------------------------------------SG-------------------------------------
Sterling--------------------------Hendo-----------------------------Cou
--------------------------DS-----------------------Suarez-----------------

Toure because he's better at heading and if Skrtel is going to give a pen for shirt tugging it could well be on Benteke. Sakho if fit otherwise it has to be Toure and Skrtel as there are no other choices. If Flanno/Enrique fit then drop Cissokho. I was tempted to drop Cou, put Hendo out left to help out Cissohko and use Lucas ahead of SG to help protect against them but the fact is they only really have 2 threats in Benteke and Agbonlohor (spelling?) and if we keep them quiet i think the games there for the taking.

Another option and one i'm leaning towards is swapping Hendo and Cou over and going all out attack, try to outscore them which i think we could manage easily with DS and Suarez back together again, it would also let us see how Cou does back in the middle again. The only problem with this is that Cou doesn't track back as much but i honestly see Villa going for a 0-0 here and defending with 10 men, trying to catch us on the break. They will be very wary of SAS, especially after the Stoke game.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Arminius said:
I am not sure that he really did, despite the goal. Maybe two moments, both of which were as much down to Arsenal not taking him seriously any more (our Arsenal forum visitor appears to deem that 'magnificent'). His movement was poor, really only showed any energy in the last 15 minutes. Last year, he was ripped us apart with some very impressive central runs with and without the ball. He scarcely seemed to be looking for them. Agbonlahor was by far the more dangerous player.

The worrying thing for me is simply the fact that lax defense appeared to wake him up a little. I am not sure we have the defensive concentration to deny him service from midfield and shut down his angles for 90 minutes. I'd hate to be the side that did actually pick up his game again.
He can be kept quiet and we did that mostly well as other teams have done of late. the key is not to allow balls from out wide. he not the quickest boy in the world and so as long as you stop service out wide to him you be ok. Still think your win even if he scores as your forwards will have to much for villa backline which is far from great.

twodifour

I like your comments on Liverpool's up coming games. I think Brendon must work hard putting a team together, your selection is appealing if Toure is selected, if Stevie plays more up front I don't think we will have trouble getting seven out of nine.

kopite1982

Mascot88 said:

Unfair to leave sterling out on current form imo.

starshadow

In the event we perfect the cloning process before this weekends game...

Suarez
Suarez Suarez Suarez Suarez
Suarez Suarez Suarez
Suarez Suarez Suarez

If the breakthrough hasn't been made i'd like to see

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Toure Cissokho​
Gerard Coutinho Henderson​
Sterling Sturridge Suarez​
We have a wafer thin squad with these injuries so there is not much room to experiment, the defence really needs to regain the confidence and switching them around all the time isn't the answer.

I'd like to see the team retained and confidence hopefuly build up...and even if the defence goes tits up again...if they score 3 we'l just go ahead and score 4...

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
I think we should handle this one with our ability to score goals really, I'm thinking 4-2. Hopefully Sakho can play. SAS will give their defense some issues and overpower their defense. Should be another 3 points.

Verbal80

I can't help but think that we are getting a little carried away with our team selections. It always nice to imagine what a player will (or more importantly - can) do but what he will actually di probably won't be anything like that. Asin, I think starting Alberto over any midfielder at THIS point in the season would cause unnecessary dressing room tension.

He has undoubtably got ability and skill, but clearly hasn't warranted starting ahead of anyone. He hasn't shown the physical strength needed to play a full 90 in CM, especially over Lucas or Henderson. I'm not only referring to his physical stature. It's how he uses his body. I thought Sterling shielded and turned the ball well, Using his body - but he's only small. He did so well he grew a few inches, I was mixing him up with Sturridge (same haircut).

If anyone gets dropped it will be Coutinho, who's forms dropped. It's not the end of Phil, I expect him to recover, but he's off the boil. And with Sturridge back, I see one change up front. If we change the mid three it'll be Allen in for Lucas or Gerrard.

If Sakhos back, then play him. Ben10 might go all omnitrix on our arse and score a hatrick (😱hope not). I hate Johnson right now, but until Enrique and Flanno come back, I fear he'll feature.

Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Cissokho
Gerrard Lucas
Henderson
Sturridge Suarez Sterling

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Verbal80 said:
I can't help but think that we are getting a little carried away with our team selections. It always nice to imagine what a player will (or more importantly - can) do but what he will actually probably won't be anything like that. Asin, I think starting Alberto over any midfielder at THIS point in the season would cause unnecessary dressing tension.

He has undoubtably got ability and skill, but clearly hasn't warranted starting ahead of anyone. He has shown the physical strength needed to play a full 90 in CM, especially over Lucas or Henderson. I'm not only referring to physical stature. It's how he uses his body. I thought Sterling shielded and turned the ball well. Using his body - but he's only small. He did so well he grew a feet inches, I was mixing him up with Sturridge (same haircut).

If anyone gets dropped it will be Coutinho, who's forms dropped. It's not the end of Phil, I expect him to recover, but he's of boil. And with Sturridge back, I see one change up front. If we change the mid three it'll be Allen in for Lucas or Gerrard.

If Sakhos back, then play him. Ben10 might go all omnitrix on our arse and score a hatrick (hope not). I hate Johnson right now, but until Enrique and Flanno come back, I fear he'll feature.

Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Cissokho
Gerrard Lucas
Henderson
Sturridge Suarez Sterling
Thanks God for some sanity. Alberto will not get picked over any of our regular starters any time soon in the league. the lad is just not ready. How posters can't see this makes me wonder what they are seeing when they watch a game of football. Alberto hasn't been picked in the starting line up so far this season in the league. Sturridge back fit puts him ever further down the pecking order.

The team will be from the following players and no-one else despite what all the footy managers on here imagine:

Cissokho, Sakho (if fit) Toure, Skrtel, Johnson, Kelly, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge + a GK

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Mascot88 said:

ptt said:
Yes, that lineup will do nicely for me. Gerrard in his new position with the engine of Henderson and the invention of Alberto feeding the 3 best forwards in the league. Switch Alberto for Cou at 60 minutes as Cou needs minutes but he's never going to cover the midfield behind 3 attackers for 90 minutes.
The same Alberto who got the hook after 45 mins against Oldham? Yeah OK :S

Never going to happen!!

steve10

TIA New Signing
Watched the AV game against Arsenal yesterday. Defensively poor and SAS should score against them. However our back line will struggle with the pace and power of Benteke. Hope Sakho is fit as Toure will struggle with the pace of the game.

RMP

TIA First Team

Toure did well against Villa earlier in the season so I would remain with him. I think Coutinho will be sacrificed against Villa, considering that Sterling commits himself more defensively and contributing more upfront. Sturridge will lead the line while Suarez roams in behind that space usually occupied by the number 10.

This is a good match for Gerrard to grow into that DM role as Aston Villa will sit back and try to counter. I think he'll have to be wary of Villa closing him down, it should be a good test of his vision and ability to pick the best pass. I'm not too convinced that Lucas should be the midfielder that ventures into the box, I'd rather Henderson to be honest. However I'd like to see him a bit deeper helping Stevie and the center backs defending. I really don't think we need Lucas in the final third.

If you look at the Charlie Adam goal Lucas was inside the center circle, much rather him deeper than that helping the full-backs and Gerrard.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Mascot88 said:

Really surprised you've dropped Sterling Mascot...What's the thinking behind that?

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Was watching Villa play last night hoping they would get a result against Arsenal, but at the same time didnt want them to get any confidence back before they play us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.