• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Liverpool v Arsenal EFL Cup (30/10/19) KO 19:30

What will be the final score?

• 6 - 4

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 4 - 6

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 8 - 5

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 6 - 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 - 11

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 15 - 14

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Who fucking cares. Up the 2013/14 throwback reds.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flobs

FADA
Slightly surprised that Adrian doesn't get a start though, but maybe it's a contractual thing (or Kelleher is actually the next genuine big thing, who knows).
Made me think that it gives Adrian time to adjust after a very high pressure start to his LFC career. I would hazard he could do with a breather and find his bearings. So perhaps just a good managerial measure?

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Playing Kelleher then? It's a sign I think. It will be a team of youngsters and squaddies playing Arsenal tomorrow.
Think you are right:

Liverpool’s starting line-up for Wednesday’s Carabao Cup clash with Arsenal will be ‘hungry and fresh’, Pepijn Lijnders has stated.

The Reds face the Gunners at Anfield with a place in the quarter-finals of the competition at stake, and assistant manager Lijnders has indicated that the policy of rotation seen for the third-round win at MK Dons will continue.
The assistant manager told Liverpoolfc.com on Tuesday: “Tomorrow we’ll have a line-up who feels the responsibility to attack tomorrow’s game and who knows the responsibility of playing against Arsenal at home. We will have line-up who is hungry, who is fresh and who wants to prove a point.
“So, I think our squad is not big but it doesn’t make sense and it would really not be intelligent to make it even smaller by not using its strength, and one of its strengths in my opinion is the power of the youth with experience. That mixture can bring amazing processes.
“Always when you change and you make changes - we know this from the MK Dons game - it’s really important that we use the time we have now before the game to create a team, that the players know from each other really quickly what we want, how we want.
“They did it a hundred times already, but the boys look forward to it, I look forward to it, and I think the whole club looks forward to it. So let’s try to make it a real Anfield experience again.”
Anyway, I don't think that Klopp will shed a tear if we lose out. It will be actually a relief, considering our already packed winter schedule.
Although Klopp will never admit it I think you are right about that too. :)

jaffod

Don't understand Adrian not playing. If Allison hadn't got injured I'm pretty sure Adrian would be starting in the Carabao Cup. Makes no sense.

rockafella

Registered before you did
Bit surprised Adrian isn't not worried. Have no problem playing the youth lineups in the League Cup when we're challenging for the proper trophies. The only thing I dread is getting through and having the kids lose away to Everton and them thinking it counts, or playing an almost first choice City XI and getting smashed (because they generally play almost full strength in this as they like to pretend they value it more than the Champions League).

Would be interesting to see whether we'd stick with these lineups if we reached the semi or final though.

redalways

TIA Regular
Don't understand Adrian not playing. If Allison hadn't got injured I'm pretty sure Adrian would be starting in the Carabao Cup. Makes no sense.
I'm not entirely sure about that, I vaguely recall reports around the time Adrian (and indeed Lonergan) signed, that if not for his early season injury, Kelleher would have been in prime position to take advantage of any injury to Alisson. It seems that he may be rather highly rated by the management team.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Tactical question here:
Does this came count toward Fabinho’s yellow card accumulation?
If it does, then could we please run him out there in the last 10 minutes, have him tug on every Arse shirt within arms length until he gets a card, then have him sit out the weekend and come back fresh and fearless against City.

Commando

Ad-free Member

Commando

Ad-free Member
Tactical question here:
If it does, then could we please run him out there in the last 10 minutes, have him tug on every Arse shirt within arms length until he gets a card, then have him sit out the weekend and come back fresh and fearless against City.

Good idea, but I don't think that cards in this count towards the league tally.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Xhaka left out of Arsenal squad and Ozil back in for tomorrows game.I just hope we give our youth and bench warmers a game and give our front 3,Fab and VVD a rest for this one.
That to me suggests Emery is in all kinds of trouble. Never good when managers relent to fan pressure like this. If Arsenal lose Emery is a cunt, and if they win with Ozil he is still a cunt who should have played him before now, blud.

On our approach, it’s really interesting that Ljinders gets responsibility for the league cup again. I really think he is being groomed to take over.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Tactical question here:
I thought it did, but found out today that it’s conpetition specific.

-The Analyst-

If Allison hadnt got injured, Adrian wouldnt be at Liverpool.

So its a moot point, isnt it?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Good idea, but I don't think that cards in this count towards the league tally.
Used to work that way, but there were too many obvious examples of getting your last yellow just before the Cup game. Cups now have their own accumulation rule, two yellows and a player is out for the next match in that Cup.

Red over the water

I'm not sure if it has been said yet, but are we treating the League Cup in a similar way for 'back up' managers and 'back up' players? It is telling that Linders has done the press conferences. Is Klopp intentionally taking a bit of a back seat in this competition, or at least some aspects of it, to give Pep Linders a go in the hot seat?

We are a better team than Arsenal, but I think the only thing stopping us from going through is if we play more of a back up side but they mix in a few more seasoned pros. You could make the case that this could be Arsenal's best chance at silverware, and with the natives getting restless, maybe Emery will play a stronger team than he otherwise would?

Mind you, even then I'm not sure I'd bet against our boys, but that's the only way I can see them losing.

Kelleher
Hoever Gomez Sepp iceBerg Larouci
Jones Lallana Keita
Elliott Brewster Origi

I would stick Shaqiri in there if I knew he was fit, or alive. Poor fella seems to have disappeared!

Edit:
Just read through the thread and saw Mascot88 make the same sort of point about Linders.

Status
Not open for further replies.