• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Liverpool v Arsenal EFL Cup (30/10/19) KO 19:30

What will be the final score?

• 6 - 4

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 4 - 6

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 8 - 5

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 6 - 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 - 11

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 15 - 14

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Who fucking cares. Up the 2013/14 throwback reds.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeting

Players left out of the U23s game vs Accrington tonight...

Caoimhin Kelleher, 20, GK(known to be starting vs Arsenal)
Jakub Ojrzynski, 16, GK

Neco Williams, 18, RB
Morgan Boyes, 18, CB
Yasser Larouci, 18, LB
Sepp Van Den Berg, 17, CB
Leighton Clarkson, 18, DM
Harvey Elliott, 16, RW
Rhian Brewster, 19, CF
Curtis Jones, 18, LW
Billy Koumetio, 16, CB
Herbie Kane, 20, CM
Luis Longstaff, 18, RW
Liam Coyle, 19, DM

I think Klopp has minimal input to the Carabao Cup. First team players left out, Lijnders takes the press conferences... this cup team is Lijnders through and through.

Last edited:

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
The calculus for this game should be a balance of “veteran players who need minutes/sharpness” with youngsters getting a chance to shine. Plus, holding out players whom we can’t afford to get injured.

Should start and play significant minutes:
Lallana
Keita
Ox
Origi

With Matip out for 6 weeks, and VVD getting a deserved rest (especially after picking up a knock at the weekend), we’re in a position to be careful about our centre backs.

I expect Lovren to be rested, since he seems to be the current 3rd choice CB.

Gomez still hasn’t quite seemed to make a full comeback from his injury last season, and appears to be currently 4th choice, but I think if he had more game time, would get back to being ahead of Lovren and competing with Matip to partner Virgil.

So, while it’s a calculated risk, I hope Gomez plays tomorrow at CB, and won’t be surprised if we see a rotation of Gomez and Lovren over the next 3 games (Arsenal, Villa, Genk) to see who gets the call against City on 10 November.

Red over the water

Shaq's still injured; he won't be back until after the November international break, at the earliest.
Thanks for info!

Hopefully he will be back, fit and firing, to rotate in a bit over a very busy Christmas and January schedule. I’m not down on the player or anything like that, but I could see a parting of ways next summer if he doesn’t play much. We have youngsters who can offer us as much, while at his age he could be a fairly important player for a half decent team. Mind you, I can’t see him getting a better gig than us, so if he stays on I won’t blame him.

SteveG08Kuki

Let the kids play ,
Kelleher
Ki Jana Hoever, Sepp,Lovren, Milner
Lallana, Keita, Gini
Elliott, Brewster, Jones

probably its because its the kids, the edge has to go to arsenal , but we will see, no injury , good performance should be all.
Sepp is on intl duty isn't it?
Give them a chance to sign them young guns

Joe Gomez x

————— Kelleher—————-
Hoever—Gomez—Lovren—Milner
——Keita—Lallana—Oxlade-
Shaqiri——-Brewster—-Elliott——

Hope this is the team and hopefully we can win to allow these lads more game time as the tournament goes on. I predict a 3-2 win.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I hate when we "throw" a match. Domestic cups are a great oppertunity to let the kids get some playing time, along side Veterans.
But they are also silverware, and we should compete in them.

I'd rather we play Fabinho against Arsenal and rest him against Villa, to keep him from getting another yellow card and miss City.
Milner, Gomez, Lovren and a youngster in the back. Fabinho, Keita and Ox in the Midfield. Lallana, Brewster and Origi up front.

redalways

TIA Regular
I hate when we "throw" a match. Domestic cups are a great oppertunity to let the kids get some playing time, along side Veterans.

I'd rather we play Fabinho against Arsenal and rest him against Villa, to keep him from getting another yellow card and miss City.
Milner, Gomez, Lovren and a youngster in the back. Fabinho, Keita and Ox in the Midfield. Lallana, Brewster and Origi up front.
I don't actually see it as "throwing" a match, but rather the fact that if we don't give them opportunities like this, where they'll be playing alongside the likes of Milner and Lovren, who have tons of experience, then when can we ever give them any playing time?

And more importantly, I think one big difference in the way we went about the MK Dons match, was that the message was quite clear, if the younger players wanted to keep getting first-team game time, it was entirely on them since there would be no magic talisman coming off the benches for them. I feel that would give them the sense of taking on more responsibility, and help them grow much more as players.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
No doubt a number of kids will get their chance to shine here,and will do well.
We can do this!
Shame we wound up with Marriner though!
I really don’t get the obsession with the referees. I went to Anfield for over 30 years up to the 1980s and I don’t recall either knowing or even caring who the referees were. I didn’t even know most of their names. I have asked a couple of pals who currently have season tickets and they don’t generally care either. Is it just the Sky generation that get so wound up about it?

[email protected]

I really don’t get the obsession with the referees. I went to Anfield for over 30 years up to the 1980s and I don’t recall either knowing or even caring who the referees were. I didn’t even know most of their names. I have asked a couple of pals who currently have season tickets and they don’t generally care either. Is it just the Sky generation that get so wound up about it?
Times change. Everything is broadcast and out there and there isn't any anonymity in any facet of the game anymore and as such referees have become known as have their performance levels. There are no real good ones imho but I'd rather have Michael Oliver than Martin Atkinson for example.

RodM

Nice to see Kelleher getting start. Adrian has had a good run and i would expect to see him starting our FA cup games (assuming no problems with Allison before then).

The team will presumably be a mix of youngsters and experienced squad players which will be a useful outing for all concerned. I'd particularly like to see Elliott, Brewster and Jones again. I'd also like to see a younger player at CB although I understand that Hoever is not available.

I'm assuming that Arsenal will take a similar approach to team selection. Are these things done on a gentleman's agreement or is it just acknowledged that the wealthier teams will give their second-fiddles a run-out in this competition. FWIW I would like us to progress in this competition simply to give the younger lads some first team experience.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

A very clear message to the kids that will get their chance tomorrow!
Love it.

We’re not going to be fielding an u18 side. The eleven will most likely feature Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lovren, and Origi. Like the Milton Keynes game.

I don’t think we will, or should, play Fabinho. He looks knackered. We should rest him against Arsenal, then against Villa. A week and a half of rest, then back in for the CL to get up to speed for the City game.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Times change. Everything is broadcast and out there and there isn't any anonymity in any facet of the game anymore and as such referees have become known as have their performance levels. There are no real good ones imho but I'd rather have Michael Oliver than Martin Atkinson for example.
Oliver has an advantage over other refs in that he isn’t fat and/or aging, and therefore isnt generally twenty yards behind play, blowing out of his arse.

rockafella

Registered before you did
Tactical question here:
Does this came count toward Fabinho’s yellow card accumulation?
If it does, then could we please run him out there in the last 10 minutes, have him tug on every Arse shirt within arms length until he gets a card, then have him sit out the weekend and come back fresh and fearless against City.
Or just don't play him against Villa anyway to ensure he isn't suspended vs City? We don't need to have him suspended to not play him.

Good idea, but I don't think that cards in this count towards the league tally.
I thought it did, but found out today that it’s conpetition specific.
Where did you see that? It's always previously been domestic competitions all count together. Fernandinho got sent off at the weekend and I'm certain that they said he would be suspended from the league cup game, so I don't think it's changed?

redalways

TIA Regular
Players left out of the U23s game vs Accrington tonight...

Caoimhin Kelleher, 20, GK(known to be starting vs Arsenal)
Jakub Ojrzynski, 16, GK

Neco Williams, 18, RB
Morgan Boyes, 18, CB
Yasser Larouci, 18, LB
Sepp Van Den Berg, 17, CB
Leighton Clarkson, 18, DM
Harvey Elliott, 16, RW
Rhian Brewster, 19, CF
Curtis Jones, 18, LW
Billy Koumetio, 16, CB
Herbie Kane, 20, CM
Luis Longstaff, 18, RW
Liam Coyle, 19, DM

I think Klopp has minimal input to the Carabao Cup. First team players left out, Lijnders takes the press conferences... this cup team is Lijnders through and through.
I think I would be really excited to see the DMs perform in this, or any other area of the pitch that we're particularly lacking in depth. DM just stands out to me because the main players we would have otherwise seem completely knackered.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Or just don't play him against Villa anyway to ensure he isn't suspended vs City? We don't need to have him suspended to not play him.

Where did you see that? It's always previously been domestic competitions all count together. Fernandinho got sent off at the weekend and I'm certain that they said he would be suspended from the league cup game, so I don't think it's changed?
I’ve seen quotes on other forums showing that the rules changed from this season. Yellow cards in the totting up are competition specific. In the cups it’s two yellows equals a one match ban. Up to the QF stage to avoid players missing finals.

COYR YNWA

Last edited:

Sweeting

I would go with

Kelleher
Milner VanDenBerg Gomez Larouci
Oxlade-Chamberlain Lallana Keita
Elliott Brewster Jones​

Subs: Ojrzynski; Boyes, Koumetio, Williams, Clarkson, Kane, Longstaff

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I’ve seen quotes on other forums showing that the rules changed from this season. Yellow cards in the totting up are competition specific. In the cups it’s two yellows equals a one match ban. Up to the QF stage to avoid players missing finals.
I think that your information is correct:

Yellow cards will only count in the competition they are received. This has led to the following changes.

Premier League:
- One-match ban if five yellow cards received before 19 Premier League fixtures (c.December 26th)
- Further two-match ban if 10 yellow cards received before 32 fixtures (weekend of March 30th 2020)
- Further three-match ban if 15 yellows received (no fixture limit)

FA Cup and Carabao Cup:
- One match ban when two yellow cards have been received
- Cut off point will be the quarterfinals, so no player can miss the final through cumulative yellows

Red cards remain unchanged and a player would miss the following matches in any competition, so a dismissal in the Carabao Cup could still see a player miss a Premier League match, and vice versa.

RodM

Isn't it the case that the EFL is a Football League competition whereas the FA Cup and EPL are both FA competitions so the cards won't count in a similar way that FA and UEFA competitions count separately?

RodM

I've tried looking this up: http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions

This Season will see the addition of Competition Specific Sanctioning for yellow cards in the following Competitions:

FA Premier League, EFL League, National League, FA Challenge Cup, EFL Cup, FA Trophy

(Please note Discipline in the EFL Trophy is Competition specific for all Discipline and remains unchanged from last season.)

Therefore, the accumulation of 5/10/15 Yellow cards in the table above apply only to League matches (and League Cup matches at Steps 2-4).

The remaining Competitions will carry suspensions in those Competitions only when a player has received 2 yellow cards in that Competition.

This list excludes Competition Specific Cautions
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions#sVtVqC1dQOsIFTXh.99

Status
Not open for further replies.