Pre Match Liverpool v Barcelona (UCL 07/05/19 KO 20:00)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I rarely start match threads. But this game is different. We need something different, we need something special.
I don’t want to see any doom or gloom in this thread. We are Liverpool. We don’t quit, we fight, we fight to the bitter end against the odds, against adversity. It’s what we do.

It is a privilege to be where we are, it is an honor to see this great team over the season. It easy to forget how lucky we are, and how far we have progressed.

Next week I say this, we simply can’t be afraid to fail. That is not who we are. We may be punished and fail big time. We may be at the end of a Messi master class. But if we are to dream big, we need to take our chances, and if we fall short, we fall short going forward, with no regrets. I am in no doubt the atmosphere in Anfield will be one of raw emotion and noise. Sending a shiver down my back. Everyone in at Anfield supporting our players. Keep them pushing, fighting, and believing. Because I do. I still believe we can do it.

Let’s give these bastards a hell of a game. If we go down fighting, lets make this a special game.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Isn't there another hugely important match to be played first? ;-)

Thread locked for the time being.

FilthyBloke

Big game. By then we may find ourselves second in the league again.
And make no mistake, we have left one hell of an uphill battle for the second leg.
But who knows.

Allison
TAA
Robertson
VVD
Lovren

Henderson
Fabinho
Wijnandum

Shaqiri
Origi
Mane

Would be nice to see a few minutes for Ox and Brewster maybe. Personally I think we have left too much to do..
But I think since 1993 we have been in 5 games where a team was 3-0 up and it ended up 3-3 (that I recall anyway). So it can happen.
Here’s to hoping.

LFC_80

I am convinced we are going to Madrid.
To quote the great Bill Shankly:

A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are.
We are Liverpool Football Club. We don't concede defeat before playing - I've seen so much negativity on social media, so called fans saying we're already out.
It's half time in this tie, and we are playing at home.

0-3 is redeemable, Barca themselves did it last season against PSG, and they were 0-4 down!.
Roma beat Barca last year, 1-4 down. We can do it.
If Mo doesn't play, then I will admit it makes it unlikely, but I'm confident he will.
We could need 5 goals, but we can do this. Let's be positive, believe in the lads and the manager, they should fear us, and if Mane and Salah have a good game, then at least one of them could bag a hat trick.
They know what they need to do, so they need to go and do it.
No doubt it could be the game of their lives, but we are Liverpool, and we need to remind them who they are playing.

No negativity, let's believe, we should be confident, I believe it will be the biggest European night at Anfield we've seen since Dortmund.

macca1970

Celta Vigo 2 - 0 Barcelona Second String

They've basically rested their entire team. Only setback is hamstring injury to Dembélé (not sure how serious). Check out their line up:

13 Cillessen
40 Wagué
6 Todibo (Murilloat on 68mins)
23 Umtiti
24 Vermaelen
28 Puig
8 Arthur (Vidal on 62mins)
21 Aleñá
11 Dembélé (Colladoat on 6mins)
19 Boateng
14 Malcom

Barce changed their style against us at Camp Nou, as they were wary of our pace on the break. Not many teams out pass them at home, which we did in our defeat. Being three goals up, they'll obviosuly look to exploit some counter situations when we go gung-ho.

That's why I think Gomez should partner VVD at the back, just to get some pace in the team. Barce will probably look to play some of their speed merchants (notwithstanding the Dembélé injury). With Bobby out, and Mo could possibly miss out too, some rejig required by Klopp. Would love to see Ox getting some game time to run in between the lines. Reckon he could smash one in.

Also, just as with the Newcastle game, we need to be a threat at set peices. Ter Stergen struggled with getting under some high balls in the first leg, so swing it in with pace from corners and freekicks.

All we can ask is for the lads to give it all. If we then fall short, so be it. Can't leave two on two situations in the first half, otherwise the tie could be over in the opening ten mins with a Barce goal. Play positviely without being suicidal at he back in the opening half, and see where it takes us.

GermanRed

We need a comeback. We need to rise above ourselves. We need a miracle.

But comebacks are part of this clubs history. We have a manager who helps his players to reach new levels regularly. And Anfield is the place where the magic happens.

3-0 down. Can we turn it around? Well, it happened before.

AC Milan 4-1 Deportivo La Coruña
Deportivo La Coruña 4-0 AC Milan
2003/04 quarter-finals

Barcelona 4-1 Roma
Roma 3-0 Barcelona
2017/18 quarter-finals

And even a 4-0 deficit has been turned around before.

Paris Saint-Germain 4-0 Barcelona
Barcelona 6-1 Paris Saint-Germain
2016/17 round of 16

While other clubs in our situation could be written off and be pitied because they have to play the second leg i truly believe we can do it and we will give Barca the hell of a night.

So let’s do this all together. Let’s support our club more than ever. Let’s concentrate on ourselves and not waste our energy with offending their players.

BELIEVE
Y.N.W.A

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
We just give it our all on Tuesday.

Jurgen doesn’t need a team talk. Anything can happen with this group of players and the magic place we call anfield.

Jürgen and the team, we are with you 100%. And we will be with you afterwards too, no matter what.

It’s half time. It’s 3-0. We can do this.

LFC_80

If Mo can't play Tuesday (fingers crossed he will) anyone else think Klopp may put young Brewster in?.
Barca won't know a lot about him, and he could burst on the scene with a couple of goals, he's a huge prospect.

Kopstar

★★★★★
If Mo can't play Tuesday (fingers crossed he will) anyone else think Klopp may put young Brewster in?.
Barca won't know a lot about him, and he could burst on the scene with a couple of goals, he's a huge prospect.
As I mentioned above even if Mo can play (or especially if Mo can play) I'd play Brewster given that Firmino's been ruled out.

If Mo can't play either it becomes a bit more tricky. Maybe play Shaqiri in the fron three on the right with Brewster through the middle but we might be forced to do something a bit more unconventional. Say, 4-2-2-2 of Alisson; TAA, Gomez, VvD, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson; Wijnaldum, AOC; Mane, Brewster

RedForever2014

The fact that we will probably be fatigued, and missing two of our front three, further reduces the odds of us finding a way back.

However, we also face a side that, through aggressiveness and hysteria at every call that doesn't go their way, knows how to manipulate malleable referees into - at the very least - blowing for fouls for nearly every attempt to win the ball back. This in turn takes away enough attacking opportunities to make scoring the required number of goals unlikely.

This of course despite their own cheating, including hatchet jobs on players (the scissor on Keita), that the media doesn't even comment on let alone scrutinise.

That UEFA either indulges this, or doesn't view such aspects of the game as issues at all, doesn't fill me with much hope of fair refereeing.

In short, the Champions League seems to be an annual closed shop event, whereby either Barcelona or Real Madrid are presumed to be the natural title winners, and constantly recipients of clearly favourable refereeing, unless somebody finds a way to better them regardless.

This may seem like nonsense, it may be nonsense, but it doesn't feel like it to me. It's about to what extent it's the case.

So how do we better them regardless?

Well if Mo and Bobby are out we don't just try and play the same way with replacements. We do something a bit different.

IMO the side should be TAA Matip VVD Robertson Fabinho Milner Henderson Shaqiri Mane Origi.

TAA and Andy should roam the flanks and deliver a constant stream of quality balls into the box to Origi and Mane. Matip needs to be restored to central defence ahead of the chaotic and erratic Lovren.

Milner is rested so comes in and is useful for dead balls, creative play and any penalties. Fabinho can help the central defenders more than any other option and is a good passer of the ball from deep. He can also slot into defence if we lose a centre back.

Hendo might be tired, but I'm sure he can find the energy to drive us on in the crucial first hour, with Gini maybe coming on for the final half hour.

Sturridge did show some nice touches last night, but he doesn't contribute enough to compensate for the fact that in terms of workrate you're playing with 10.5 men with him on the pitch.

Origi's height, Shaqiri's inventiveness and Mane's pace, would enable us to subject the Barce defence to a barrage of quality balls from the flanks to Origi, get in behind them when opportunities present (Mane) and have a real chance from any free kicks awarded centrally (Shaqiri).

I'd certainly have players running at their defence with the ball in the central area looking for free kicks.

A combination of set pieces (corners, crossed free kicks), quality crosses in open play to Origi, and free kick attempts on goal from central areas, could yield a couple of goals.

If we can get to the final quarter a couple of goals up, or 3-1 up, we have it in us to score a couple of late goals.

Oxlade coming from the bench late on to nab a late winner would be perfect.

Thankfully some of our players will remember the Dortmund match, and how if you stay within a couple of goals of winning a tie, anything can happen.

RedForever2014

As I mentioned above even if Mo can play (or especially if Mo can play) I'd play Brewster given that Firmino's been ruled out.

If Mo can't play either it becomes a bit more tricky. Maybe play Shaqiri in the fron three on the right with Brewster through the middle but we might be forced to do something a bit more unconventional. Say, 4-2-2-2 of Alisson; TAA, Gomez, VvD, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson; Wijnaldum, AOC; Mane, Brewster
Your view isn't ridiculous, but personally I wouldn't be starting a youngster, for the first time, in a CL semi, when Origi and Shaqiri are available.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Your view isn't ridiculous, but personally I wouldn't be starting a youngster, for the first time, in a CL semi, when Origi and Shaqiri are available.
Yeah he'd be slated if it goes wrong, all betting form indicates its most likely Origi that replaces Bobby. I'd like to see Klopp use him up top rather than out wide left. I was very disappointed with Sturridge's overall contribution last night.

RedForever2014

………………………..Alisson
TAA...…….Matip…………...VVD...……….Robertson
………………………..Fabinho
…………...Hendo……………...Milner
………………………...Shaqiri
………………..Origi……………..Mane

Bench: Migs, Gomez, Lovren, Moreno, Gini, Sturridge, Oxlade

Presumes Bobby and Mo out along with Keita, and Lallana deemed not fit enough.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
We had precisely zero luck against these last time and , barring a miracle or a fluke , I think this tie was effectively over when Salah (who it's rumoured might play after all ) slammed that chance against the post. 1-3 would have given us a fighting chance of a 2-0 , but having to score 3 without reply or even needing 5 if they put one away is just too much for me. Be interesting to see how we approach it though. We either throw everything at them in the hope of early goals (with the danger they nick one on the counter) or build the pressure gradually and look to just get it to 1-0 with at least half an hour left. Whatever , I agree with the previous posters , this match now is second in importance to Wolves on Sunday , regardless of how City do against Leicester.

LFCFFC

I'm not sure how to feel about this one. In an alternate universe where Mo's shot goes in, I have a lot of confidence we can go back to Anfield and scrap a 2-0. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and we're up shit creek with half a paddle.

In all honesty, Monday night is probably going to dictate how I'll approach this one. We need to score at least 3 (preferably 4) without conceding against one of the best sides in the world, which is no easy task. Especially given we've lost Bobby, Naby and maybe Mo too. If Leicester somehow take something from oil well FC, I have a feeling that we'll have an eye on Sunday, regardless of what JK says about us not prioritizing one competition over the other. That's not to engage in any post-defeat revisionism about the importance of the CL, moreso just appraising our current situation for what it is. If we're 1st in the PL come Tuesday, I'd be totally fine with putting our eggs in one basket and managing this game accordingly.

StanSB

barcelona minus messi equals mediocre ( well, somehow). i wouldnt mind a 19th century approach of putting one of our players on his trail for 90+ minutes, just to take him out of the game. the fact that he is widely regarded as gods gift to mankind puts our player at great risk of getting a red card ( see also : dark arts thread ) for even looking too hard on little lionel, but i really think that they rely entirely on him.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
I don’t know who Klopp will field.
If I was him all would depend on the City game on Monday. If City drop points I would put all eggs in that PL-basket and field a weaker team to avoid further injuries to our key players. In case of a City win I would go strong on Tuesday and try to destroy Barca.
Four days of recovery should be enough till Sunday then.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
The Tuesday game will depend upon whether we are still in with a shout of the Premier League...
Huh? Even if City beat Leicester tomorrow, they’ll only be a point in front of us. We’ll definitely still be in with a shout on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.