Pre-Match: Liverpool v Cardiff City (EPL 27/10/2018 3:00pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
We're never gonna stop.

After a routine win against a team we were expected to pick up three points against (Red Star, not Huddersfield - that wasn't routine) time to get back to work. In 48 hours we have another match against a team we should be picking up a win against. Cardiff are coming into this just outside the bottom three, and have shipped 19 goals in their 9 matches, the second worst in the league with only a win against Fulham saving their blushes.

Look for us to continue our unbeaten start to the season, as long as the lads go out there with the same energy and enthusiasm shown yesterday against Belgrade.

With Shaqiri coming off early, expect him to get the nod again on Saturday. Henderson and Keita are out, so will likely see Milner coming back in for Fabinho - but the front three should be salivating at this one, after each of them getting on the score sheet last night. Could be an opportunity to give either VVD or Gomez a rest, with Lovren coming in. (Yikes).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Think we'll go back to the back 4 that played against City, Gomez at RB and Lovren alongside Virgil. Probably keep the two man midfield with Gini and most probably Milner back in, Fabinho (could be very useful to bring on with their threat in the air) dropping to the bench. Then it depends how we line up the 3 up top on the right side. Against Huddersfield it looked like a mixture of two formations, but last night it was a much clearer 4-2-3-1. I didn't really like Firmino in the #10 though, hopefully our central midfield doesn't suffer too much. Think we'll eventually go back to 4-3-3 once we get more CM bodies back. But it's good that we're flexible if we have a lack of CM options and forwards fit and available, Shaq is showing promising signs though if we played a final tomorrow I don't think he'd start. Still work to do. We're obviously trying to control games more, become less "wild" and more able to rest/pick moments to ignite real pressure. That's the next area to improve in our evolution as a team because we lost the ball 111 times against Huddersfield, a record so far this season. That was painful to watch the amount of times we lost possession so easily, all over the place (and Bobby being disappointing in that 3rd midfielder role when he came on). It's in situations like that when you see that we still lack both more technical elements in various places and players knowing each other better, being more consistent as a whole.

Cardiff got a bit of confidence from their last game, but let's win this one and then it's finally a full week to prepare well for Arsenal and what's next, hopefully with at least Henderson back and more options in our rotation.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We have just played a Europe equivalent of Cardiff last night. Tugging and shoving players, rough tackles and flailing arms catching Gomez, Alexander-Arnold and Mane's face/eyes. We should know what to expect come this Saturday, maybe we should play the same system of 4-2-3-1 with Fabinho playing as the enforcer with Wijnaldum?

I think Klopp will be putting Henderson in on this one, reverting back to his 4-3-3 system with one anchor. I do hope we don't see Lallana starting just yet. Milner to come back for sure and possibly with Shaqiri playing in midfield since he was subbed off last night. I hope to see us retaining the back 4, and we should be good to go.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Klopp said on Tuesday that Hendo would most probably miss the next two games and then possibly return against Arsenal.

Time to shove it back down Warnock's throat re: Sol Bamba/VVD comments

The pace of Salah/Mane, the trickery of Shaqiri, the one step ahead nature of Firmino v Bamba/Morrison will be as one sided as it sounds. Cardiff have leaked goals bar the Newcastle 0-0 and don't see that changing even with red tinted goggles off

Alisson

TAA Lovren VVD Robertson

Milner Shaqiri Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane

In a perfect world I'd start Sturridge, Fabinho and have a Lovren/Gomez partnership but we have a week to prepare for the next match and should try to do the job first before introducing them into the match.

Last edited:

Red over the water

I wouldn't mind seeing the same team as last night against Cardiff. Fabinho to get some Prem experience against a weaker side, Shaqiri to be the creative link between the midfield and attack. If the front three all play, and share it around like last night, there could be goals aplenty.

I'm probably small time for saying it, but I really don't like Warnock. He reminds me of that Goblin at Gringott's Bank in Harry Potter! And he has too much to say for himself, and has had a pop at Liverpool people in the past, when in reality he's a lower level manager doing a lower level thing and shouldn't even comment on the world we live in. Gah!

So with that in mind, I would love it if we absolutely hammer them. Six goals in sixty minutes, then get Sturridge and Lallana on.

I wouldn’t mind starting the same team as last night, but with all the fouls and hacking,they will be some
bruised legs next couple of days. Fabinho was very physical,so I can see Milner replacing him for
this one. Anyway who ever starts we should be winning these championship teams.

FilthyBloke

I’d personally start Sturridge this game. Cardiff can’t defend and we should create a bucket load. Sturridge is still our best finisher.
Mane and Salah either side of him.
Milner Wijnandum and Shaqiri in midfield.
Robertson VVD Gomez TAA at back.

We really should go for it. They have minimal threat.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Just couldn’t get a ticket for this one - so peeved off.

But a clean sheet win is expected, and surely our forward play will be way too much for Neil Warnocks Cardiff.

I’m thinking comfortable win, but then does this game become another banana skin?

Redopium

Same starting 11for me, looked a bit like strangers in midfield for the first 15 mins but then they played some brilliant stuff, I know it was only redstar but Cardiff are not much better so it should be a easyish win, don't mind if Klopp wants to play Lovren to give Trent or Joe a rest, a couple of early goals and get sturridge and origi on early second half and rest a couple of our front 3.

RodM

I'd like to see more or less the same side as played Red Star (fitness / injury allowing).

This is a game that we should win so I'd take 3 points as a minimum. Upping the goal difference would be a bonus.

Cardiff have had a nightmare of a fixture list to deal with so I expect they are much better than results would suggest and they are probably on a high after beating Fulham. Having said that, I think they will concede so as long as we remain as convincing in defence as we have been it shouldn't be a problem.

I did have a look at one of there fan forums and they seem to be split between a Home win and a draw. Also, they seem to have a right couple of eejits posting there but that seems to be standard for pretty much every club. I did go to Ninian Park a couple of times when I lived in Cardiff and was once accused of being a "f***ing Gog" - which I wear as a badge of honour to this day.

Anyway, it looks like it is kicking off at the proper time for a change so I will have to bribe my son to sort out a dodgy stream for me.

RedForever2014

Every match against non top 6 sides is must win really, if we're to challenge for the title. Top 4 will also require more points this season.

The matches against the top sides are lotteries, especially as referees always favour opponents, so we have to ensure we don't slip up against everyone else. Every win now gives you more margin for error later, plus it builds confidence and momentum. Take the points whilst the squad is mostly fit, who knows what could happen on the injury front later.

Some rotation is necessary, but should be limited. We have to take account of the difference in performance at Huddersfield versus the other night, which was due to the blend of players used in midfield and attack.

With Solanke and Origi way down the pecking order and Hendo and Keita out injured, tomorrow we have nine to choose from in midfield and attack.

Of those who didn't start the other night, Milner probably needs a bit more time on the bench after being overused. He's as fit as anyone when fit, but players his age need more recovery time, and playing him as much as we did put him at risk of the injury he ended up getting.

For me Lallana is not a starter at the moment, he's a 20 to 30 minute man when you're well ahead. So really the only choice is whether to start Sturridge? If so for who?

I'd be tempted to play the same midfield and attack tomorrow as the other night and use Sturridge and Lallana from the bench again if things are favourable. Fabinho and Shaqiri need matches now.

As to defence, there is an argument for rotation here. Personally I'd give Moreno a start, to give Robertson a 10 day break before the crucial Arsenal and Belgrade matches. Trent has been rested recently so should start, but I'd be tempted to rest VVD.

If it's going wrong we can use VVD, Robertson and maybe Sturridge from the bench.

……………………….Alisson
TAA...…….Gomez,,,,,,,,,,,,Lovren………...Moreno
………………Gini...……..Fabinho
…...Salah...……...Shaqiri…………….Mane
………………………...Bobby

LeoT

I'd probably go with this...

Alisson

Trent - Lovren - VVD - Robertson

Fabinho
Shaqiri ---- Milner

Salah - Firmino - Mane
I'd probably bring on Lallana for Mane after 70 min (play him where Shaqiri is, and move Shaqiri forward).
Our priorities should be to score at least 1 more goal than them, and to avoid injury before playing Arsenal Next week.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I'd like to see more or less the same side as played Red Star (fitness / injury allowing).

This is a game that we should win so I'd take 3 points as a minimum. Upping the goal difference would be a bonus.

Cardiff have had a nightmare of a fixture list to deal with so I expect they are much better than results would suggest and they are probably on a high after beating Fulham. Having said that, I think they will concede so as long as we remain as convincing in defence as we have been it shouldn't be a problem.

I did have a look at one of there fan forums and they seem to be split between a Home win and a draw. Also, they seem to have a right couple of eejits posting there but that seems to be standard for pretty much every club. I did go to Ninian Park a couple of times when I lived in Cardiff and was once accused of being a "f***ing Gog" - which I wear as a badge of honour to this day.

Anyway, it looks like it is kicking off at the proper time for a change so I will have to bribe my son to sort out a dodgy stream for me.

Forgive me, but what’s a ‘gog’

XMarlin

Hopefully Milner gets another rest day for this one. He's worked his ass off for us over the last couple of seasons and deserves a break.

We'll need him fit later on and Fabinho needs more time on the pitch. We have a midfield crew now so I'm sure we can put together a decent crew for this one.

Knowing Warnock, he's probably going to have someone target VVD's rib cage.
Not sure if it will work but I'd put Gomez in along side if he plays...just to have Virgil's back.

I didn't get to see the Red Star game so I have nothing to offer in terms of observations.

Hoping to see a solid performance. A clean sheet, 3 points, a healthy squad and a solid goal margin would suit me fine.

Cardiff got 4 against Fulham to break their duck so they're capable of finding the net.

If we stay focused and composed we should see this lot of though.

Too much to hope for 4-0?

YNWA

RodM

Forgive me, but what’s a ‘gog’
In Welsh 'Gogs' is slang for 'Gogledd' - essentially North or Northern Welsh. I was actually with a couple of lads from Wrexham at the time. Wales has a very strong North-South rivalry although there was an animated TV Series on S4C about cavemen called Gogs so it is more of an in-joke. I took it in good humour, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.