PRE MATCH: Liverpool v Chelsea, Carabao Cup, 3rd Round, Wednesday 26th September, 1945hrs BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

On to the next one.

It's the Coca Cola Carabao League Cup third round and we host Chelsea. Tbh i have no idea how Klopp will approach this game in Terms of tactics, formation and Line-Up but i think it might be stronger than most of us think.

Mignolet
Clyne Gomez VvD Moreno
Milner Fabinho Keita
Shaqiri Sturridge Firmino

Could be a 4-3-3, a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1

- Mignolet for Alisson

- Lovren not Ready, i'd be careful with giving Matip a second start in 4 days after his injury problems. Gomez and VvD did not play the full 90 on saturday so i think they could both start.

- with Gomez and VvD in Klopp could be ready to trust both Clyne and Moreno at FB and give TAA and Robertson a break.

- Wijnaldum gets a break finally, Milner had his one on saturday, finally a start for Fabinho and Keita gets back in.

- Shaqiri and Sturridge deserve to start and i added Firmino becaue he had his break vs. PSG.

Not sure if Origi and/or Solanke could play a part in this one

Like i wrote before i have no clue about this one. Shaqiri + Sturridge, Keita + Sturridge had a very good link up in pre season.

To add another element in this thread - speaking the same language on the pitch could help, right? In my line-Up we have french speakers in Mignolet, Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri (he should be able to because he grew up in Switzerland) and portuguese speakers in Fabinho, Firmino and Sturridge (i remember him wanting to learn some prior to the WC 2014 and to be able to communicate with Coutinho) + Moreno should also be able to communicate with them.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Will field a decent line up.
Migs
Clyne Matip Gomez Moreno
Fabinho Milner Keita
Origi Sturridge Shaqs

I think this will be an interesting game. Our Squad looks good enough to compete.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
We can rotate pretty heavily and still put out a very strong side, and expect Chelsea to likely do the same.

Migs
Clyne Matip Gomez Moreno
Fabinho Keita Milner
Shaq Sturridge Mane

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I could be very wrong but having assembled the squad he now has at his disposal I don’t see Klopp putting out significantly weakened sides for the sake of it.

I think Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Mignolet, Moreno and Clyne will feature far more significantly in this next match.

The FLC is the least important of the 4 competition but I still think Klopp would like to progress in the competition if he can juggle his squad to achieve that.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
As long as Alisson, Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino and Mane are nowhere near this, I’m happy.

Knowing we have them on Saturday, if any of the first team walk on to the pitch on Wednesday I wouldn’t be surprised to see them carried off it.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Don’t think VVD plays because of his rib injury. Way too much of a risk and far too important in our first XI.

Migs
Clyne Matip Gomez Moreno
Milner Keita Fabinho
Shaq Studge Solanke

redaderry

With the home and away double header, this will be the battle of the rotators.
Both teams off to a flyer in the league and will see Saturday as the main event. But both will want to win the cup match to keep things going on all fronts.
Interesting week - and after Saturday, we will have a better idea of our trajectory in the league.
2 - 1 to the Redmen

With the home and away double header, this will be the battle of the rotators.
Both teams off to a flyer in the league and will see Saturday as the main event. But both will want to win the cup match to keep things going on all fronts.
Interesting week - and after Saturday, we will have a better idea of our trajectory in the league.
2 - 1 to the Redmen
Yes, the only real benefit that comes out of this game is to maintain momentum and get the psychological upper hand for the main event on Saturday. Cant believe we are fussed about this tournament this year. Looking at it now, its a more difficult call than SFC in terms of squad for Klopp. Its anyones guess who he fields. But probably not Mignolet, well maybe. Only thing Im sure about is a start for Fabinho.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Second team all around except for the keeper. We need him to get used to playing against Chelsea because he is about to meet them the weekend.

Change Wijnaldum out for Milner and Keita out for Henderson, all in the hour mark onwards.
Alisson
Clyne Matip Gomez Moreno
Fabino
Keita Wijnaldum
Shaqiri Sturridge Solanke​

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
we are unbeaten and I think regardless of the status of the "league" cup, the players will want to carry on that sequence. I expect up to three changes to rest players, but knowing Klopp, it wont be that drastic... Chelski have has a good start, Im more interested in beating them and ending their unbeaten sequence !

Sweeting

General feeling on Chelsea's forum is they will go with...

Caballero
Zapacosta Cahill Christensen Emerson
Barkley Ampadu Loftus-Cheek
Moses Morata Hudson-Odoi

Neither team will line up with much to fear it seems.

Just watched the full Chelsea West Ham game. It appears Chelsea play a high attacking line with 4 to 5 Chelsea players placed between defense and midfield line. They pass well between the lines. Chelsea attackers play a lot of fancy flicks, to get players positioned for striking. The attacking force does not appear powerful. These flicks get the defense wrong footed at the defense is going one way with momentum, but the attack comes from the opposite direction, through openings, but with little force.

West Ham held Chelsea by packing the box and closing these openings. Hence Chelsea could not score.

Chelsea game play is entertaining and requires many forward players. This left Chelsea very susceptible to fast counter attacks. Chelsea game play tolerates other teams scoring one goal on them, as this opens up the opposition as they attack Chelsea. However, Chelsea believes its fast passing and flick on play will score many more goals. It was noticeable that, West-ham had no organized counter attacking force.

Chelsea is a good team; but they appear to lack alternative strategies; that is quickly becoming the norm for LFC.

Now that LFC has Allison is goal, LFC has a far greater probability of stopping some of these fancy flicks on plays. That being said; it is virtually impossible to stop a perfectly placed shot on goal, like the second goal PSG scored on LFC. Therefore, LFC is susceptible to last minute goals by Chelsea flick on play.

Based on watching the game and my last post. I would set up to play to Chelsea strength; like in Judo let the attacker come in force and use their strength and momentum to throw and defeat them.

Team

Allison

Trent – Gomez -Van – Robo

Milner – Hendo – Shaq

Salah – Bobby – Mane

Target 3 -1 LFC win

Substitution Strategy

LFC 2 up, take off Shaq bring on Matip. Hendo & Milner Move center

LFC go 3 up, take off Bobby, bring on Wini & park the Anfield bus !

I would play the same team on Saturday with some tactical improvements in game play.

Rest the team, but do not over train much; just flexibility, light running, passing work, do R&R with massages, and lots of strategy and team tactics talk, after game analysis work.

Game Plan

Defensive line and attacking line speak for themselves.

I would play Shaq on left side and let Van – Robo – Hendo - Milner Bobby cover for Shaq lack in defensive cover.

Let Shaq press up near the center line.

Do not let Bobby, Salah, Mane press or chase the ball much above the center line as this is a waste of time and energy. Chelsea game plan is high quality passing. It is futile waste to run for a ball you can not get; just to look good.

When LFC defense get the ball, Shaq will be in space ( that is how is brain works) and Mane will be near by and Bobby will have started to move forward. Let Shaq build up attack from left center midfield. Have Shaq run left to right diagonally towards Salah, with Bobby running forward, right to left crossing Shaq; let Shaq pass diagonally left to right feeding short to Bobby or long to Mane ( who should be on his left side) or long to Salah, who will be on his right side. Shaq will figure it out ! Chelsea will be confused as hell.

Suspect it will be an easy 3 -1 win to LFC as Chelsea will get very frustrated running into LFC defensive brick wall. Especially if we go ahead early and substitute off with more defenders.

Good luck to the Redmen

Last edited:

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Yeah, give me a second eleven and then hit Chelsea with the big guns in the league game.

I’d go:

Migs
Clyne, Matip, Gomez, Moreno
Fabinho, Keita
Shaqiri Solanke Origi
Sturridge​

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
This game allows us to give minutes to players who haven't been used much this season, that can only be a good thing.

I'm going to this and looking forward to it too. Not overly bothered with the result so hopefully we'll be able to sit back and enjoy some good football.

YeGra

Could do without this honestly. Play the second string, we've got bigger fish to fry.
Chelsea could do without this as well. At least its symmetrical.

Both of us will have minds on Saturday. We can still field a strong team yet have our first XI no way near the team. Don't think Chelsea can do quite the same thing.

It's certaibly a game to put our feet up with a pint, knowing if we lose, we're not going to pull our hair out.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
As long as Alisson, Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino and Mane are nowhere near this, I’m happy.

Knowing we have them on Saturday, if any of the first team walk on to the pitch on Wednesday I wouldn’t be surprised to see them carried off it.
I think you're in for disappointment mate. Klopp won't make more than 4-5 changes in the hunt for rhythm.

I'd expect Migs, Moreno, Kieta, Sturridge and Shaqiri to start. I'd expect VVD to be rested following the knock he took to ribs.

I predict it'll be Migs, Moreno, Matip, Gomez, TAA, Milner, Kieta, Gini, Shaqiri, Sturridge and Salah. I'd not be surprised if Mane does get in ahead of one of Gini or Shaqiri even.

LeoT

I suspect we'll see something like this...

Mignolet

Clyne - Matip - Gomez - Moreno

Fabinho
Milner --------- Keita
Shaqiri​

Sturridge ----- Origi​

Mascot88

Admin
I think you're in for disappointment mate. Klopp won't make more than 4-5 changes in the hunt for rhythm.

I'd expect Migs, Moreno, Kieta, Sturridge and Shaqiri to start. I'd expect VVD to be rested following the knock he took to ribs.

I predict it'll be Migs, Moreno, Matip, Gomez, TAA, Milner, Kieta, Gini, Shaqiri, Sturridge and Salah. I'd not be surprised if Mane does get in ahead of one of Gini or Shaqiri even.
If Mane starts that team of bastards will ensure he doesn’t start on Saturday. Same goes for Milner and Gini.

Klopp should work out who he wants to start at the weekend and work backwards from there.

I really don’t care about the league cup, in fact I actively would prefer us to be knocked out now. A two legged semi-final to navigate in January? No thanks.

Mascot88

Admin
I suspect we'll see something like this...

Mignolet

Clyne - Matip - Gomez - Moreno

Fabinho
Milner --------- Keita
Shaqiri​

Sturridge ----- Origi​
I think the mighty Div is injured mate.

Last edited:

MarcusBerglund

We have more important games lying ahead. The League cup must be far behind in the list of Liverpool's priorities.
The premier league, Champions league and FA cup are more important in my opinion.

Some players could get a well deserved rest and players such as Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Keita need playing rythm.
Sadly Lallana will be unavailable for Wednesday. VvD must be rested, he is instrumental for LFC. Salah, Mane and Bobby are indispensable and I wolud not play them even for a minute.

My team for the Mickey mouse Cup.

Mignolet; Clyne - Matip - Philips - Moreno; Fabinho - Keita; Shaqiri - Solanke - Origi; Sturridge

If Divock has recovered from that knock, I'd play him on the left wing. Solanke will be a good option playing behind Sturridge. Jones is also fine choice to play in that role. I would like to see Camacho playing minutes as a winger too.
We play Chelsea away, Napoli away and City at home in 7 days. And these 3 games could define our season. We don 't want any more injuries to important players. This club must be aiming really high - the premier league and the champions league must be the ultimate prize.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
No replays, and now not even extra time. Penalties if it's level after 90 minutes. Next season it'll be straight to a game of rock, paper, scissors between the two captains.

The real issue with this competition (apart from its ridiculous name) is the scheduling. Having a two legged semi final in January just after the Christmas fixtures and the start of the FA Cup creates mad congestion, especially when you are realistic contenders for both the CL and PL.

I don't think JK will go as weak as some people are predicting or want. Personally I'd like to see some of the young lads get a game but I suspect he'll see it as an opportunity for those who are new to the club to get 90 mins under their belt (like Fabinho, Shaqiri, Keita) with a smattering of the regulars with some pre-determined substitutions to ensure they get their rest.

Should be an entertaining game with not too much resting on the outcome and both teams able to just go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.