• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match: Liverpool v Dortmund/Sevilla/Sporting

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Sevilla pissed me off enough at the Europa league finals when they were lucky to not lose the match despite blatant penalties in the first half but this is disgraceful.

Hope the cunt gets a 7-8 game ban. This is a freaking friendly and will be upto the club to take further action.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
They were reckless all match. Klopp tried talking to them at halftime. It's mind-boggling that they would approach a friendly like this so foolishly. What's there to gain from that kind of play?

I hope Yasser is okay. Seems like a hard-working kid.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Strange match for me. We started out great then just seemed to sag a bit. The energy went away. I was on field level and all of that happened right in front of us. I didn't think Lovren's tackle was a foul at all. It looked completely clean from my vantage point then Gagnon just missiles straight for Larouci and took him out. Not much to say about that dumb and cowardly act already hasn't been said. Our section heckled the player mercilessly as did the entire stadium. Sevilla played dirty all match, spiking and kicking the ball, shouting back at the ref. I felt like they were repeatedly and intentionally targetting Ox early. The elbow to Wilson's face by Banega was no accident either.

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but I want to see a replay of the second goal. How we allowed that long ball to happen with them playing with only 10 men was a little disappointing.

The boys walked around the stadium after the match and celebrated the supporters. One of them (maybe Mings?) kicked a ball into the upper seats for a fan to take home a great souvenir!
You’re right
The Lovren tackle was clean
Happened right in front of me
I was appluding the tackle (it was really damn good) when Gagnon pulled that stunt so didnt see it
The below on Wilson was thuggish in the extreme
And the targeting of Ox made me really concerned

Im not fine with any of these things
But if it was a super competitive meaningful match against Seville our lads would have been anticipating or prepared
But it was a meaningless effin friendly - and even though the Liverpool lads looked totally into the game I doubt any of them had the mindset that that type of cynical foul was going to be the order of the day - it was god awful and dangerous - and Im not given to hyperbole

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Fenway Park looks like a full house.
It was!
At least 90 percent liverpool shirts and fans
My son and I have seen 6 pre season games now (AS Roma twice at Fenway, Chelsea @ the Rosebowl, Olympiakos in Chicago and ManU in Michigan and this) - I was taken by the # of families there - with moms and dads and kids all in liverpool shirts - also lots of different nationalities - tried to post a photo of the Fenway “Kop” for you all - but technically way beyond my abilities - @neuokolin said it - Migs hoofed a ball into that end - there was a LOT of singing - it was brilliant (but nothing like a match at Anfield)

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
If it were baseball, Gnagnon the gnat's hacking of Larouci's leg would be like a pitcher beaning a hitter..... Hang on, the game was played at Fenway, someone should have decked (or swat) that gnat.

I am still fuming at the scumminess of Seville. Need to calm down before heading to bed.

Gazmaninaus

I watched the game and it was apparent we were shagged from two games in two days. Whoever sorted that out should be shot. Anyway I thought we had some great play but played as a friendly they played as a game. I guess everyone wants to lift against the current champions of Europe. It will be like that for the entire year.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I'm starting to worry, there is not much behind our starting 3. Less than two weeks until the Charity Chield and Salah, Firmino and Becker are not jet back, Mané will be back August 5 after only 2 weeks rest.

Last edited:

Sweeting

I'm starting to worry, there is not much behind our starting 3. Less than two weeks until the Charity Chield and Salah, Firmino and Becker are not jet back, Mané will be back August 5 after only 2 weeks rest.
Why are you worried about the Charity Shield?

Regards last night's game, you only have to watch the reaction to the goals to understand the scoreline. Sevilla celebrated both like it was an important goal - we barely even acknowledged ours.

To us last night was a friendly game, played for fitness, in 95 degree heat. To Sevilla it was a final.

Herb

Just woke up to read about the game, sounds like Sevilla went over the top for most of the game. Watched the tackle and I can’t fathom what has gone through that blokes head to do that. Looks worse every time you see it.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
It was!
At least 90 percent liverpool shirts and fans
My son and I have seen 6 pre season games now (AS Roma twice at Fenway, Chelsea @ the Rosebowl, Olympiakos in Chicago and ManU in Michigan and this) - I was taken by the # of families there - with moms and dads and kids all in liverpool shirts - also lots of different nationalities - tried to post a photo of the Fenway “Kop” for you all - but technically way beyond my abilities - @neuokolin said it - Migs hoofed a ball into that end - there was a LOT of singing - it was brilliant (but nothing like a match at Anfield)
From what I saw from the telly, it looked spectacular and the atmosphere looked wonderful, almost Anfield esque like. The Fenway park stadium looks very impressive. I was only driven past the stadium years ago. My only souvenir is a Boston Red Sox mug. So glad you had a lovely time and you got to tell us your experiences there.

Magnus

Why are you worried about the Charity Shield?

Regards last night's game, you only have to watch the reaction to the goals to understand the scoreline. Sevilla celebrated both like it was an important goal - we barely even acknowledged ours.

To us last night was a friendly game, played for fitness, in 95 degree heat. To Sevilla it was a final.
The Charity Shield is a title. A tiny one, but a title. I hope klopp and the boys desperatly want to win that game and every other game this season. And I concur with him, this form, is worrying me slightly. Slightly, because it is still very, very early days, but I don't like the development that much. Brewster, Milner, Oxlaide and of all people, Mignolet, look up for it, but no one else has really convinced me that they are en-route so far. But of course, early days, but I am a bit worried. Then again, I worry a lot; as I worry about patterns, I worry about fitness, I worry about the upcoming league and so on. I think worrying is better than the opposite, but perhaps those of you who have found the Zen in the middle ground have found the answer.

Last edited:

jim bouki

Even in friendlies teams are extra motivated to beat the Champions of Europe
This is probably the main reason why I slightly agree with those that say we need one high profile addition this summer. Last year teams saw us as a team on the up and a real threat. This year we are at the very pinnacle and everyone will be coming at us all guns blazing as they'll all be trying extra hard to dethrone the kings of europe. Another quality wide player will go a long way to alleviating the pressures that our front 3 will be under all season whilst keeping them on their toes (would be frightening to opponents to bring on a player of similar quality during the inevitable down spells in form the front 3 suffer at various stages from fatigue). But if klopp and the coaching staff think whoever's already at the club is ready to step up and fill the void then they've more than earnt our trust, from the outside it just seems like an opportunity to further strengthen the team and put the finishing touches on an already superb squad from a position of real strength gone a miss. I also understand that perhaps the player klopp wants might not be available which is also fine i'm glad he doesn't just spend for the sake of it - would hinder the progress of our younger players. Hopefully brewster and wilson can turn out to be the pieces we've been missing all along and all this talk of an extra attacker needed turns out to be misguided nonsense.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I think many still haven't quite understood how a Pre season with Klopp usually works. Just as a reminder, it is brutally exhausting and that also in this grueling heat! But it's necessary to build a basis for a long season to come, so we have to do lots of additional running as well. Normally we would never train so intentionally so close to a game, but Klopp said several times that the friendlies are just another session. Most of us wouldn't even be able to walk in these circumstances because we probably wouldn't feel our legs anymore. Panicking at this time is a bit over the top.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
There is no place in a friendly for that level of thuggery. That's accepted.
But LFC need to toughen up as well. This will be a long season with plenty of unethical tackles and tactics. We need to become a bit steelier. A la Fabinho vs Barca. Be a hard cunt inside the rules (barely)

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I think many still haven't quite understood how a Pre season with Klopp usually works. Just as a reminder, it is brutally exhausting and that also in this grueling heat! But it's necessary to build a basis for a long season to come, so we have to do lots of additional running as well. Normally we would never train so intentionally so close to a game, but Klopp said several times that the friendlies are just another session. Most of us wouldn't even be able to walk in these circumstances because we probably wouldn't feel our legs anymore. Panicking at this time is a bit over the top.
Yup, two games in two days, in energy sapping heat, with teams made up of youth, reserves and players coming back from major injuries, with wholesale substitutions against a decent dortmund side and a shithouse bunch of pricks.

This panicking seems unnecessary.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Yup, two games in two days, in energy sapping heat, with teams made up of youth, reserves and players coming back from major injuries, with wholesale substitutions against a decent dortmund side and a shithouse bunch of pricks.

This panicking seems unnecessary.
Nah: Klopp Out!!!!

scouseheadross

Septical
Boring game. Awful fouls. Bizarre really. Never seen anything like it.

Don't think Seville will be invited to Fenway again. If I was Mr Henry I'd be telephoning their club President and making that point in no uncertain terms.

Thought Kent did ok again and Brewster's intelligence in the press makes him a viable Bobby understudy. One that's likely to be very much needed. We need Shaq back to cover for Mo and Divock Origi to make up for Mane's late return. Starting to get a little worried about the impact of yet another busy summer but time will hopefully prove Klopp right.

jim bouki

As a side note, Seville is the warmest city in europe with average highs of 37 degrees celcius all throughout the summer, the weather was definitely a major advantage to them in this game. Thought our boys did well considering the scorching heat and the thuggery that took place. Must of been grueling to just be in the stands let alone playing.

Rooster

What a hit son
But LFC need to toughen up as well. This will be a long season with plenty of unethical tackles and tactics. We need to become a bit steelier. A la Fabinho vs Barca. Be a hard cunt inside the rules (barely)
Nonsense. Are you saying we should have retaliated with a similar leg breaking effort?

This team can handle the physical side. But that tackle was out of control.

Let's see what the suspension is. No idea who has jurisdiction in these matches but hopefully some serious punishment.

Meanwhile we will continue to batter sides with teamwork, strategy, pace and fair challenges.

Danny_

The tackle was just ridiculous for a friendly match. What is this guy - some kind of retard or something? I am not sure what sanctions can be taken against him but he should get the maximum possible.