• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match: Liverpool v Dortmund/Sevilla/Sporting

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Can’t be arsed with the game. It’s all that ‘tackle’ and whatever the fuck was going through Ggagnon’s pea brain.

I hope Sevilla enjoyed the experience, because I can’t imagine them playing us again in pre-season. And not just for that tackle either, for any number of dirty tackles that could have caused a serious injury.

Sevilla have wished Larouci well, but they should be offering a public apology for the conduct of their players.

LaurazRed

I'm starting to worry, there is not much behind our starting 3. Less than two weeks until the Charity Chield and Salah, Firmino and Becker are not jet back, Mané will be back August 5 after only 2 weeks rest.
I agree. With several players returning from international duty they can't be expected to be fully up to speed especially with our front three. The pressure on the back up is a lot to ask on Origi and even more on Brewster at his age if we need cover.

Mascot88

Admin
I agree. With several players returning from international duty they can't be expected to be fully up to speed especially with our front three. The pressure on the back up is a lot to ask on Origi and even more on Brewster at his age if we need cover.
I think - and I know I’m going out on a mad limb here - that Jurgen Klopp knows what he’s fucking doing.

Flobs

FADA
There is no place in a friendly for that level of thuggery. That's accepted.
But LFC need to toughen up as well. This will be a long season with plenty of unethical tackles and tactics. We need to become a bit steelier. A la Fabinho vs Barca. Be a hard cunt inside the rules (barely)
Yep! our performances take a knock whenever we are up against a physically orientated side. We need to adapt here, I would suggest playing faster.

Sweeting

The Charity Shield is a title. A tiny one, but a title. I hope klopp and the boys desperatly want to win that game and every other game this season. And I concur with him, this form, is worrying me slightly. Slightly, because it is still very, very early days, but I don't like the development that much. Brewster, Milner, Oxlaide and of all people, Mignolet, look up for it, but no one else has really convinced me that they are en-route so far. But of course, early days, but I am a bit worried. Then again, I worry a lot; as I worry about patterns, I worry about fitness, I worry about the upcoming league and so on. I think worrying is better than the opposite, but perhaps those of you who have found the Zen in the middle ground have found the answer.
Of course they will want to win it but they'll probably do it with Origi up front instead of Firmino. I think it is too early in pre-season to be worried about form (if it is ever important to worry about pre-season form, which I don't think shows any correlation to competitive results). This time last year (to the day) we were beaten 3-1 by Dortmund and the week before had drawn 0-0 against Bury. We then went on to beat Man City 2-1 in an utterly drab match where both sides looked bored and tired.

We have a particularly difficult form of pre-season training and we are currently doing it in record breaking heat against an opposition that not only are more used to playing in high temperatures but also treated the game like a major cup final.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Nonsense. Are you saying we should have retaliated with a similar leg breaking effort?

This team can handle the physical side. But that tackle was out of control.

Let's see what the suspension is. No idea who has jurisdiction in these matches but hopefully some serious punishment.

Meanwhile we will continue to batter sides with teamwork, strategy, pace and fair challenges.
Maybe read what I said?

Sweeting

Can’t be arsed with the game. It’s all that ‘tackle’ and whatever the fuck was going through Ggagnon’s pea brain.

I hope Sevilla enjoyed the experience, because I can’t imagine them playing us again in pre-season. And not just for that tackle either, for any number of dirty tackles that could have caused a serious injury.

Sevilla have wished Larouci well, but they should be offering a public apology for the conduct of their players.
That Ggagnon tackle wasn't even the only foul in the one short run by Larouci - the winger also tries to clip his heels but Larouci managed to swerve him. No idea what the hell Sevilla were thinking.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Should never have played Sevilla in a friendly. They are always like this, and were always going to be at their worst facing the European Cup holders - a chance to put a marker down in their preseason.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
Yeah I'm not saying he doesn't, he's more than proved that but it's just my opinion. What do I know?
Personally, I think there is too much football. Summer, pre-season, the transfer window are all packaged up to try and keep the interest (and therefore the revenues) up. In the old days everyone would shut up shop and go and think about Cricket for three months.

The transfer window especially has become such an industry that fans are getting tetchy and nervous when there isn’t a continuous trickle of news about potential signings. Of course, the club is under no obligation to tell us anything, although it is to blame for the loose lippedness of previous regimes that have got us all in this state in the first place!

I'm sure the club are trying to get in the lads who could help, but if they don’t I don’t think it’s the end of the world.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Two more random thoughts from being at the match last night:

Trent looks bigger to me. He worked out at UCLA this summer with Ox and a few other players, with an American trainer. He looks more muscular and bigger body overall. Ben Woodburn looked like a young schoolboy standing next to him lining up a free kick.

Lovren takes way too many chances and lacks awareness. I love Degsy, I have professed my appreciation many times on here for him, even when not a popular stance to take. He is just very careless. One on one, he is an excellent defender when the play is right in front of him. But that's also a deficiency. He often times gets baited into what's right in front of him.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Banega was the starting point of all that I felt. Even before the tackles, he looked a bit too angry for the occasion, for whatever reason. Could've had about 3 yellow cards in that first half alone. Shame for the talent he possesses that he seems mentally a bit unstable, throughout his career. I have absolutely nothing against teams trying 100% in a friendly, in fact that's good to see, but you can be both 100% in your approach and clean as a sportsman. That was horrible by Gnagnon. The game especially had water break pauses, the ref needed to use that to speak to both captains/managers to calm their problematic individuals down (since he didn't give Banega a red card), damn it.

Red over the water

I’ve just looked ahead at the fixtures and I think we will be fine by the Norwich game, in terms of everyone back, and starting to click. There are two trophies to win either side of that - the Community Shield and the Super Cup (or whatever it’s called when you play the winners of Europa League). Those games are against Man City and Chelsea, and presumably we will all want to win, both for the shiny pot and also the early season ‘scalp.’

We will know much more about where we are at that point. The possible vulnerability is early season, while we are getting up to speed with players returning late.

As for the two games just played - excellent from a fitness perspective. Hard miles, heat, humidity, heavy legs and needing to press through. It helps you dig deep and get a marker down with your fitness, to benefit at a later date. In the Midwest the heat spell has broken, and if that spreads to New York the next game will be easier from a weather perspective.

As for Sevilla, bad thugs and no need. But even at that point a bit of rough treatment and adversity can galvanize the group and help us.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I watched the game and it was apparent we were shagged from two games in two days. Whoever sorted that out should be shot. Anyway I thought we had some great play but played as a friendly they played as a game. I guess everyone wants to lift against the current champions of Europe. It will be like that for the entire year.
This.... It's why I won't read too much into it, the Dortmund loss in my view was down to the fact they went for full changes at half time and we left our team out.

We just weren't very good yesterday, I do feel we are slightly behind a number of clubs, that would be my concern, when do the Copa america lads return? (And Salah)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
As for his apology, he showed no remorse, in fact none of them did, all they wanted to do was moan about Lovern foul, which was a foul but nothing you don't see week in week out.

Hacking the legs from under a player with no desire to play the ball, I've not seen that in sometime.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think - and I know I’m going out on a mad limb here - that Jurgen Klopp knows what he’s fucking doing.
A 2 times league winning and Champions League winning manager that works with the players every day knows what he is doing??

That is utter madness, surely a bunch of hacks on the internet know far more lol

FGred

That Ggagnon tackle wasn't even the only foul in the one short run by Larouci - the winger also tries to clip his heels but Larouci managed to swerve him. No idea what the hell Sevilla were thinking.
I believe the person to blame is their manager lopetegui who must have given them instructions to target our best players for special treatment it wasn’t just the obvious thuggish tackles but throughout the game they were nipping at the heels of our ball carriers just putting them off enough to dispossess them of the ball some of them were proper fouls worthy of a free kick and a yellow card but the ref was overwhelmed a bit and weak. I would hate to see Seville’s behaviour if they play us in a meaningful CL game!

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
err...it was French.
Color me confused! Totally missed that he was French and assumed Spanish club and all...

Apologizing is better than not, but its after the fact and not particularly sincere given the reaction at the time. That kind of tackle in a friendly is horrific.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
This.... It's why I won't read too much into it, the Dortmund loss in my view was down to the fact they went for full changes at half time and we left our team out.

We just weren't very good yesterday, I do feel we are slightly behind a number of clubs, that would be my concern, when do the Copa america lads return? (And Salah)

Sadio is set to return after the community shield on 5 August (so before the Norwich match). As he was the last of our players to be involved in international football I expect the others will return on or before then as well.

Sadio Mane will return to Liverpool after the Community Shield fixture against Manchester City.

The forward has started an end-of-season break following Senegal’s run to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations, in which they were beaten 1-0 by Algeria.

Mane is set to rejoin the Reds on Monday August 5 ahead of the Premier League opener against Norwich City at Anfield, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.

“He is in good shape,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.

“Obviously they had a celebration in Senegal and I’m happy about that because it showed that they respect the competition and saw the second place as a success, which is nice.

“He is now on holiday, not the longest one – he will be back on August 5, after the Manchester City game. That means he had two weeks. There is four or five days to prepare for Norwich, 10 days for Chelsea [in the UEFA Super Cup].”

scouseheadross

Septical
A 2 times league winning and Champions League winning manager that works with the players every day knows what he is doing??

That is utter madness, surely a bunch of hacks on the internet know far more
We can all see that we're a bit light up top going into the start of the season. Expressing that opinion is presumably just some of us being less comfortable with that calculated risk than Jurgen is, particularly with such a close league last year. There's no need for trolling from you or anybody else.

Fwiw I think the fatigue - mental and muscular - from the front three might hit us in Jan as much as it will more immediately. That's been the tricky time of year since Kloppo arrived and the world club championship will exacerbate the effect. However we will have a winter break for the first time ever. Just don't go warm weather training this time round!

Also, hopefully more trust in squad players like Origi, Shaq or Brewster means others will get a break during the season. Shaqs a bit of a miss tbh. Crap timing getting a knock in that pointless Nations cup thingy.

Flobs

FADA
He is French, and doesn't even know how to properly express himself in his own language. That probably says it all about this cunt player.
I thought it was a reasonable apology. My grudge is he didn't bother to find out our players name which for me is the minimum for a valid apology.
I wonder what the underlining reasons where and what the involvement of the Sevilla club and staff is over this sort of thuggery?

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
The thing that worries me is that there are teams in the Premiership who know that the only way they'll get a point against us is by injuring one of our players, and won't mind doing it. I hope our squad depth can cope.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
The thing that worries me is that there are teams in the Premiership who know that the only way they'll get a point against us is by injuring one of our players, and won't mind doing it. I hope our squad depth can cope.
Shit like that in the prem though and the player would be sitting on the sideline for a number of weeks, and the club probably fined as well.

Man city have had a target on their back for a couple of seasons - yes you see more physicality, but not basic thuggery these days........

Flobs

FADA
Joey Barton doesn't play anymore! :-)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
And we know Kompany tried that...AND got away with it