• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match: Liverpool v Dortmund/Sevilla/Sporting

jabu

TIA New Signing
If i was klopp i would sign another attacking player either attacking midfielder or winger. I think we are a bit thing there qualitywise

Red over the water

Just got back home, had a great time. When we arrived there was a fan zone going and Jamie Webster was doing his thing outside the stadium. It really helped to build atmosphere and it was good to sing the songs, old and new, with my lad.

It was hot and humid so the conditions were difficult for the players. Dortmund played with a strong side and they looked good. We gave them a good game too. I would say we started with two of our best eleven, in Fabinho and Gomez, or arguably three if you include Milner. Wilson took his goal well but I thought we looked a bit lightweight up front, which was understandable.

Larouci started brightly - I was watching him closely, but I thought he could have done more on both their second and third goals. That was with the naked eye though, so I’ll go back and look again, but on one of them he got caught under the ball as they switched play using the width of the box, and on the third he might have done more to stop the cross.

We brought reinforcements on at the 60 minute mark and we looked more authoritative for it. Brewster looked hungry. His penalty was right in front of us and he had a little discussion with Henderson, got the ball, placed it on the spot, and smacked it right into the top corner. Very good.

A 3-2 defeat doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Pre season, fitness builder, and we are having a look at a lot of fringe players to see who might stay on and who might go.

Gomez showed a great turn of pace at one point. Fabinho had authority in the middle. And Brewster was hungry and got his goal, even if he only had half an hour. The start of the season proper is coming quickly. Can’t wait.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I hate seeing us lose.
But I’m old school. I don’t bother with these friendlies especially the results . They are all about fitness, experiments and shop windows. Not worth watching especially at 1am. Glad for US fans though.
I prefer the old days where you only found out friendly results if A) you went or b) bought the first programme of the season and saw results listed there.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Bit of a wild game, defences not organized enough, goals falling after failing to play the offside. Fabinho our best player in the first half, Ox & Gomez showed some bits, too. Millie was a bit weaker. Left side with Kent and Larouci was leaking a bit. Mignolet with a few good saves. Brilliant pen by Brewster. Interesting was that we put Lewis at LCM, I think he played in midfield for U23's when he fell in a bad spell at LB.

MinniMo

I managed to stay up till the match ended at 3am - just. You could really see how the heat was affecting all the players, Dortmund too, and in the conditions it was a good exercise for both teams. I'm concerned that both Boston and NY are expected to be as hot, if not hotter than it was today - NYC are installing 500 'cooling stations' to help folk cope, not a good omen for our forthcoming match there!

scouseheadross

Septical

Highlights for those of us getting beauty sleep at 1am. Looked like a decent game. Lots of fitness as a result of playing nearer 90mins instead of swapping teams at half time. Looked hot to go with it.

Amazed how pumped up some of the American fans were getting. Some right lard arses in the crowd too!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Can’t wait for the day to see a midfield3 of Fabi, Gini and Oxi

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Brewster impressed and took his penalty with consummate ease. Fabs and Gomez were excellent and Migs made some stunning saves! More tonight so out comes my sub pipe, rotation is vital for my squad of pipes.

That was a howler from our defence for their first goal!!!

FGred

Our first team players generally looked good and once VVD came on our defence looked solid.

We are down 5 first team players and matched them, no worries from me and one or two lads such as Lewis, Brewster, Kent and Wilson are stepping up a bit.

There 2nd and 3rd goals were down to tiredness, someone needs to tell that ref it’s a friendly mind.

I’m actually quite happy how our first team regulars looked so sharp, TAA and Robinson as well as Henderson seem to have grown I think that’s what winning a Champions League medal will do.
I agree with you about the ref he thought he was refereeing a WC final
Very happy about the youngsters performance the last 2 goals we conceded was due to tiredness it is better that they make mistakes in preseason than in the league as we will learn from them than having a perfect preseason

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Based on the forecast, it's about 50-60% humidity. In the evening at game time (6pm eastern), it's about 35C, feels like 40C. By the end of the game, it will be 31C, feels like 35C.

Today, in Greater Toronto Area, current air temperature is 32C but feels like 42C. It felt like a bloody oven when opening the door to step outside. Naw. I am staying inside. A/C has not stopped since noon!

Gazmaninaus

Don’t the media throw some absolute dickhead questions at JK. Watched the post match presser and basically laughed as Jk struggled to give any answers to stupid questions.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Wish we would skip these PS trips to the US and/or Asia. Waisted training time while sitting in plains for hours and hours.

MinniMo

Most of these Pre Season trips give our fans abroad the chance to get to watch their beloved team, to sing YNWA, build atmospheres as close as they can to Anfield, and have an amazing memorable day out. Some travel for days to get to a match and pay a fortune for tickets (way overpriced by the stadiums btw). I wouldn't take that from them, the majority have little to no chance of ever getting a ticket to Anfield.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
It must also be awesome for the players.

On some level they must get an understanding of how big this club is, when they see its global reach first hand.

England is obviously the epicentre, but that might feel like a bubble after a while.

I honestly think it’s more important than just a few substandard games and long haul flights to take off the gloss.

Alright Now

Glad I didn't stay up until 1am last night! Bloody time zones. 11pm tonight should be doable.

If's not on USA TV then isn't it a bit of a rare opportunity missed to be on primetime?
Just made your second point to my wife in much stronger terms. Usually she tells me to chill out and breathe. This time she agreed. Terrible marketing blunder.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Hope we start trying different options on the left other than Kent in the next few games. We don't need 10 games with him on the left (or anyone else) to make a decision. I know we change second half/last 30mins, but it's usually players who will not be with us next season (likes of Duncan, Woodburn, etc.). High chance Kent won't either. Mane will come back last. We know Origi can do a job if we need it, but perhaps it's now slowly time to find out about other options... Ox (as a safer senior temporary option), Brewster (if Origi and Brewster started together in a front 3, maybe they'd also rotate, we did what between Brewster and Woodburn the other day), etc. Potentially even try out Wilson on the left, even if I think he'll also spend his season elsewhere, but as he played all 3 positions between the lines in Derby's 4-2-3-1 last season, give him a go to see how it works on the left (since he won't play in midfield of a 4-3-3).