Pre match : Liverpool v Fulham (EPL 11/11/18 12pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
You might have a point. What is puzzling is also the fact that Buvac is still on the club's coaching team list (https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team). It's really strange, almost as if they are waiting for him. Certainly a very unusual situation...
I forget exactly where, but I read in one of the articles maybe in the Echo that he remains on the staff list as he has not yet reached an agreement on the terms of his leaving. It would be nice to think that a place is being left open for him, but I think it's more down to admin.

We've all but stopped the high pressing game, we're not looking to smother the opposition when they're in possession anymore, the team is playing a different way/system this season & it shows despite the points total.
Is it worth analysing?
We keep getting caught out when Mané, Salah and Firmino push up man on man to the opposition defense. This is a tight man to man and obviously only covers 3 defenders often across the whole pitch the opposition have 1 defender and at least 1 mid/def mid free. Milner then charges from 20yards deep on to the mid/def mid. It's deliberate but completely mad. Whilst Milner closes in our front 3 just stay on their man a watch whilst a great hole opens up behind Milner which the opposition the use to hurt us.
To me this is tactical suicide as you end up with opposition players bearing down on our very deep defensive line at speed. (Chelsea goal was the best example).
What is amazing is how rarely the opposition do score or manage to threaten us which must point to immense improvements in our defense and goal keeper.
They often say 'build from the back'. Personally i go with 'build around a selected player' we only really have Henderson to build around (well there is Firmino but his form is too changeable). So from the back it is. As we have thrown money at the defense and GK I presume the next step is to throw money at the midfield (we might get that elusive player like that).

As for playing Fulham let's hope our defense stands strong (no embarrassing goals against us) and that we can sneak a few or 5. :-)

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
It could be worth a punt. Firmino and sturridge look lost at the minute.
You never know, origi could score a couple and then become unstoppable as we march towards number 19.
Oi, the position of resident TIA blind optimist is currently filled and even I can’t see that one happening!

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
You might have a point. What is puzzling is also the fact that Buvac is still on the club's coaching team list (https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team). It's really strange, almost as if they are waiting for him. Certainly a very unusual situation...

This from The Echo on 31st October .........

Q. Zeljko Buvac is still listed on the club website. Surely the club need to make an announcement? Do you think we’ll have official confirmation anytime soon?

JP. There won’t be an announcement from the club until the terms of his exit have been agreed. I thought it would have happened before now but clearly it has dragged on with lawyers involved.

I certainly don’t expect Buvac to return to Liverpool. Officially, he’s still first assistant coach on the club site. That job really belongs to Pep Lijnders now but the Dutchman can’t be given that title until the loose ends from Buvac’s departure are confirmed.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...adio-manes-contract-situation-zeljko-15349351

Red Eyes

This from The Echo on 31st October .........

Q. Zeljko Buvac is still listed on the club website. Surely the club need to make an announcement? Do you think we’ll have official confirmation anytime soon?

JP. There won’t be an announcement from the club until the terms of his exit have been agreed. I thought it would have happened before now but clearly it has dragged on with lawyers involved.

I certainly don’t expect Buvac to return to Liverpool. Officially, he’s still first assistant coach on the club site. That job really belongs to Pep Lijnders now but the Dutchman can’t be given that title until the loose ends from Buvac’s departure are confirmed.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...adio-manes-contract-situation-zeljko-15349351
Unusual that no real detail had leaked out over the last six months, the press usually find a way to get it in all walks of life. LFC tight as a drum though. The players will know what happened, and would have been used to working closely with Buvac, so this season is a change of routine for them (as was preparation for the CL final).

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Managed to get last minute tickets for this game - so will be sat snug in the Kenny Stand, lower tier.

Better had smash them now that I am going. Fulham was my daughters first match around 10 years ago, we won that 4-1 I think. Need to take some anger out on this team.

jaffod

Henderson named in the England squad. Why don't they let them get back to fitness at the Club before they nominate him?
If he doesn't make the Fulham game LFC should grow a spine for a change and tell Ingurland to fuck off. If he plays Sunday there's probably not much we can do.

7th Earl

Lots of shouts already for Keita and Shaqiri in midfield behind the usual front 3.

If this materialises and clicks on the pitch, I think Fulham will need serious amounts of lubricant to hand.

If he doesn't make the Fulham game LFC should grow a spine for a change and tell Ingurland to fuck off. If he plays Sunday there's probably not much we can do.
I agree with you however I think it's Henderson who wants to go with Ingurland and Klopp would never step in the way of that desire.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Managed to get last minute tickets for this game - so will be sat snug in the Kenny Stand, lower tier.

Better had smash them now that I am going. Fulham was my daughters first match around 10 years ago, we won that 4-1 I think. Need to take some anger out on this team.
I will be with the old codgers in the KD Upper Tier. Blanket over my legs, big flask of Bovril, moaning about how it was so much better in the good old days, just so I fit in. The atmosphere's going to be flat, at least to start with. Early kick offs always are and the terrible result and performance in midweek won't help.

I only saw the Red Star game for the first time last night. Not watching it live meant I could at least skip the boring bits and the bits that were just too painful to watch. Which meant I hardly watched any of it. The main thing I got from it, apart from a headache, was that for all the stick the front 3 are getting (unfair given we are flogging them to death), it's the midfield that's still the biggest part of the problem. Last two midfield performances have been atrocious. Milner's form has fallen off a cliff lately, Gini has donned his cloak of invisibility and if we'd put a cone out on the pitch it would have offered more than Adam Lallana.

We spent a lot of money in the summer trying to get the midfield right and JK has just got to bite the bullet and give Fabinho and Keita an extended go now. If Fabinho is too slow and Keita is over-rated then best we find out sooner rather than later but we have to do something different. I was surprised Fabinho didn't start against Red Star. Even though he was abysmal against Arsenal, he'd played well against Red Star at Anfield and at least he passes the ball forward. We urgently need a bit more dynamism in there and the tried and tested just aren't providing any at present.

We are lucky we're playing Fulham. I've watched them a few times this season and they play some nice stuff but are incredibly naive for a newly promoted side. Nothing but a morale-boosting win will do here.

okocha10

Football Master
Alisson
Gomez Lovren Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Shaqiri Wijnaldum
Mane Firmino Salah
Salah needs to stop to be selfish that much. That is the main issue in our attack.
Last season Mane was the most selfish player in our squad. At least until Salah was after that famous PL goal scoring record. After that Salah was never the same man. Before that he was just the player who was always in the right place, shooting at sight, moving fast and playing with minimal contact with the ball. Now he is too slow, the ball is too much time at his feet, thats why there is no flow in our attack. Everything is so predictable when he gets the ball.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Just beat them. Preferably 4-0. Let the lads go there respective ways on internationals then rebuild afterwards.

Oh and then Mo hits 3 past the mancs and THEY bring HIM into top line world class form. Bliss :-)

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Chris on Redmen TV suggested using Bobby in the no 10 role like this:

......................Firmino...................
Shaqiri............Salah............Mane

Personally, I would like to see Solanke get a game.

Neukolln

Salah needs to stop to be selfish that much. That is the main issue in our attack.
Last season Mane was the most selfish player in our squad. At least until Salah was after that famous PL goal scoring record. After that Salah was never the same man. Before that he was just the player who was always in the right place, shooting at sight, moving fast and playing with minimal contact with the ball. Now he is too slow, the ball is too much time at his feet, thats why there is no flow in our attack. Everything is so predictable when he gets the ball.
I don't mind if Mo wants to be selfish, but I wish he would stop trying to tee the ball up perfectly. Dipsy doodles and usually dispossessed. Get the shot off. As someone else posted yesterday, just put your foot through the ball and see what happens. Which had me thinking, Studge's miracle goal v Chelsea notwithstanding, how often do our boys keep opposing defenders honest by letting things rip from the edge of the box? Never it seems. Everyone is trying to tee up the most picture-esque scores from in tight.

Redsi73

With a our recent timid displays im fearfull that this is the one game where Fulham suddenly discover their mojo and give us a hard game.

Still think we will have too much for them ( even if we play at 50% ).

2-1

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I will be with the old codgers in the KD Upper Tier. Blanket over my legs, big flask of Bovril, moaning about how it was so much better in the good old days, just so I fit in. The atmosphere's going to be flat, at least to start with. Early kick offs always are and the terrible result and performance in midweek won't help.

I only saw the Red Star game for the first time last night. Not watching it live meant I could at least skip the boring bits and the bits that were just too painful to watch. Which meant I hardly watched any of it. The main thing I got from it, apart from a headache, was that for all the stick the front 3 are getting (unfair given we are flogging them to death), it's the midfield that's still the biggest part of the problem. Last two midfield performances have been atrocious. Milner's form has fallen off a cliff lately, Gini has donned his cloak of invisibility and if we'd put a cone out on the pitch it would have offered more than Adam Lallana.

We spent a lot of money in the summer trying to get the midfield right and JK has just got to bite the bullet and give Fabinho and Keita an extended go now. If Fabinho is too slow and Keita is over-rated then best we find out sooner rather than later but we have to do something different. I was surprised Fabinho didn't start against Red Star. Even though he was abysmal against Arsenal, he'd played well against Red Star at Anfield and at least he passes the ball forward. We urgently need a bit more dynamism in there and the tried and tested just aren't providing any at present.

We are lucky we're playing Fulham. I've watched them a few times this season and they play some nice stuff but are incredibly naive for a newly promoted side. Nothing but a morale-boosting win will do here.
We are in Block KJ, Row 11 - not too far from the half way line. I'll keep a lookout for you. I'm part of the "good old days" brigade, or so my kids tell me....

I don't think things are as bad as they are made out. I think we are doing well - just that standards are set very high and there is a change of playing style - we are not pressing as much, and we are giving the opposition a fair amount of possession. The atmosphere is always flat in these early kick offs - we just need to get banging some goals in.

It could actually be a great weekend with many teams around us dropping points and we get that goal difference better...

What I think is missing at the moment also happened in many games last season - and that is quick, one touch pass and move. The games we have been poor in, there just hasn't been enough of that. Get that going, and we could be devastating.

Still think this could be one hell of a season, but then I always think that.

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
In my humble opinion our midfield this season is not up to par. Yes a lot of play breaks down with Salah and Mane. If we had more midfielders showing for the ball and making movement off the ball the passing would flow. Mane and Salah are bing individuals and it’s showing they aren’t those types of forwards. I suggest a change in formation. 4-3-3 doesn’t work against teams with 5 midfielders or teams who park the bus. Why do we defend teams that don’t attack. We should be putting fear into these teams and then switch formation for the last 20-30 minutes

Start the game 3-4-3

Alisson
Gomez VvD Robbo
Keita Shaq Hendo Gini
Salah Firmino Mane

After 60 minutes and up 2 or 3

Switch to 4-4-2

Gomez Lovren VVD Robbo

Keita Fabinho Hendo Gini

Salah Mane

Yes u can’t gegenpress for 90 minutes but you can for an hour and then set up defensive with two deadly forwards.

RazvanLFC

Now he is too slow, the ball is too much time at his feet, thats why there is no flow in our attack. Everything is so predictable when he gets the ball.
Agreed completely.
I'd add to this that the humble Mo trying to score directly from corners - for the 4th or 5th time this season is not acceptable at all and it looks unprofessional. Can't remember him trying to do this last season...
I understand he scored once vs. Swaziland enjoy it and move on already...
While he's the main issue it's not the only one, Firmino's been poor, Mane... No good direct runs from the midfielders who were also bad, but ignored.

Coddite84

Back to the PL... lets go out and go for Fulham from the start. Fabinho, Shaq, Firminho and Keita to start. Come on redmen!

sharkula

If Shaqiri is not playing then we know for sure Klopp has an issue with him and not some bullshit about politics

santana

That's 3-4-3. I thought you were completely opposed to 3-4-3? ;-)
the battle start and end in midfield and if you lose midfield you lose the game so 343 formation is better because your team got the best midfielders in the world and 3 defenders with high quality like ( vvd gomez lovren ) more than enough but the problem when klopp think a lot of trophy and he complicate things because he is worried , liverpool got the deadly trio so the competitors supposed to play with 4 defenders not liverpool and my advice to try 343 without compicating things just try simplicity !

1dragon

TIA Regular
Never thought I will say this, but we do have to watch out for Fulham's attack. Mitrovic, Schurrle and Vietto are no slouches individually and could hurt us. I leave TAA out of this. Gomez or Clyne to take the RB spot, if Lovren is fit. Also, no more Lallana and a Milner Wijnaldum axis.

Allison
Clyne-Gomez-VVD-Robertson
Fabinho-Wijnaldum
Salah-Shaq-Mane
Firmino

Subs: Mignolet, TAA, Matip, Sturridge, Origi, Milner, Kieta

OCred

Folks, why have we not tried the gegenpress? Helter skelter football was effective. we should do that for the first 25 minutes and then revert to playing possession ball and let our new and massively improved defence see it out.

Why has Klopp not tried this? maybe because a lot of teams park the bus so there is nothing to press really.

A lot of people here have noticed we are not the same free flowing goal scoring machine.

I dont know. I just want it fixed fast. Winning is good of course, but we now have to unleash the beast. Go to PSG and mop up those overpaid mercenaries and take care of Napoli at home.

Even though not completely settled in, Fabinho has some teeth to his game, no free passes unlike our usual midfielders. Naby is the key though, not sure how good his English is, but we need this guy to step up and be the man.

Leaving Shaq out of the squad at Belgrade, hmmm, those fuckers there are crazy and no telling if harm would have come to Shaq. Those people are not known for civility.

Lallana can only be used as a sub or against utter weak shit teams at home, like Cardiff not vs a CL away team. Sorry Adam, but there is a time for everyone and yours has sadly arrived. Other than the Sturridge worldie goal at chavs, dunno what else he has done.

It does not seem that Origi has developed like he should have, what went wrong, he looked so promising didnt he several years ago. DId wolfsburgh screw him up? He was even starting on Belgium when big bloke Lukaku was injured.

Anyways, beating Cardiff a must and should be done with some margin. But a great performance it has to be, if not how are we to sleep for the next 2 weeks.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Leaving Shaq out of the squad at Belgrade, hmmm, those fuckers there are crazy and no telling if harm would have come to Shaq. Those people are not known for civility.
This is actually borderline racism.

Imagine if I said this about Africans, Palestinians or Jews?...

One rule for some, another for the others

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
I don't mind if Mo wants to be selfish, but I wish he would stop trying to tee the ball up perfectly. Dipsy doodles and usually dispossessed. Get the shot off. As someone else posted yesterday, just put your foot through the ball and see what happens. Which had me thinking, Studge's miracle goal v Chelsea notwithstanding, how often do our boys keep opposing defenders honest by letting things rip from the edge of the box? Never it seems. Everyone is trying to tee up the most picture-esque scores from in tight.

That’s it! Klopp’s English isn’t advanced enough yet to include ‘dipsy doodles’ so he hasn’t been able to tell Mo to stop dipsy doodling before he tries to fire off a shot.

You’ve solved it! :well done:

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.