• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool v Man City EPL 10/11 1630 ko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incognito

The Normal One
I'm expecting us to have a bigger lead than 6 points by the end of the year (after matchday 20) if we get a draw on Sunday. City still has to play United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Leicester until then while we already played against them all and Tottenham.
Expecting anything from Ole and Emery would be crazy. Leicester probably some hope, and Chelsea game might just depend on how good their attack is on that day to outscore them.

rockafella

Registered before you did
This is such a huge opportunity for us.

I had the debate with a friend the other night - he said he'd take a draw and think it's lunacy that I wouldn't. I think it's mad that he'd take a draw now. We've won every home game bar the Leicester draw in the past year, haven't lost at home in two and a half years, and City have defensive issues.

I agree that if we're drawing with 15 minutes left, I'm not taking a mid off for Origi like we'd do against anyone else, but still.

Alright Now

I was stuck in traffic yesterday on the M25, dirty white van was vehicle in front of me.

Instead of the usual 'clean me' or 'my wife is dirtier than this van' inscribed on the back for other's amusement, someone had written...

"CORNER TAKEN QUICKY, ORIGIIIIII"

I kid you not! Just brilliant.
Sent this to all of my 3 friends. It’s awesome.

wibseyred

It is Klopp. We know that we won't play for the draw, it will be a question of just how attacking the side will be - balanced pressure with an emphasis on quick strikes off a turnover, or does Klopp get out the dials that go to eleven?
Why we played for a draw at the Emptihad which back fired. I'm hoping that was the wake up call for him.

Alright Now

I was stuck in traffic yesterday on the M25, dirty white van was vehicle in front of me.

Instead of the usual 'clean me' or 'my wife is dirtier than this van' inscribed on the back for other's amusement, someone had written...

"CORNER TAKEN QUICKY, ORIGIIIIII"

I kid you not! Just brilliant.
Forgot to mention. I had to get gas, but I didn’t wash my windows just so I could do this.

Flobs

FADA
I can not help feeling Klopp is giving 'Pep' too much respect. For me he has to comment on what has been said about Mané. For me he has the chance due to what he says about opposition players to say 'if you haven't got anything good/nice/respectful to say about an opposition player just decline to comment it's sooo easy'. He should also defend his player and to leave it as he did with, 'what he said and what I said' is just soft.
If some jerk asked Klopp about Sterling for example we all know what his reply would be, 'yes, wonderful player ...'
Why not demand the same respect from 'the best manager in the world'?

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I can not help feeling Klopp is giving 'Pep' too much respect. For me he has to comment on what has been said about Mané. For me he has the chance due to what he says about opposition players to say 'if you haven't got anything good/nice/respectful to say about an opposition player just decline to comment it's sooo easy'. He should also defend his player and to leave it as he did with, 'what he said and what I said' is just soft.
If some jerk asked Klopp about Sterling for example we all know what his reply would be, 'yes, wonderful player ...'
But I think by Klopp not responding is getting under peps skin. It’s like a double bluff - I’m not playing your game, let’s play my game - peps already retracted his statement. And Klopp mentioned tactical fouls by saying he’s not going to mention it.

Jedi mind tricks. Klopp knows exactly what’s he’s doing. If you listen, you can hear it. It’s the sound of pep quaking in his boots. Listen.
I think he may have shat himself too.

Flobs

FADA
But I think by Klopp not responding is getting under peps skin. It’s like a double bluff - I’m not playing your game, let’s play my game - peps already retracted his statement. And Klopp mentioned tactical fouls by saying he’s not going to mention it.

Jedi mind tricks. Klopp knows exactly what’s he’s doing. If you listen, you can hear it. It’s the sound of pep quaking in his boots. Listen.
I think he may have shat himself too.
What's done is done. Still my way is the better way. :)
The thing is 'Pep' did say stuff about one of our players, it's on record, retractions are worthless, just listen to Shitteh fans for proof. :mad:

auzziez

Klopp said in the Sky interview that this game is a "one to win".
I am now fairly confident we will start with Fab-Hendo-Gini midfield :)

Expecting our front three to work tirelessly to press high up the pitch, with 2 midfielders supporting.
Fab mopping any loose balls sitting behind those 5.
City to have those occasional chances to counter which will be nullified by the back 4 (while I would want Gomez, I think Dejan will start).
While City will miss guilt edge chances, we will take ours clinically to be 2 goals ahead, by 60 minutes mark, without a reply.
Klopp will bring on Millie, Ox and Divock after 60 minutes. One of the latter two will score to make it 3-0 to us.
The game suddenly opens up and Sterling will get a consolation goal before 75th minute.
Commentators will be singing about City's fighting spirit and suggest that they can get 2 more in 15 minutes.
We will instead deal them a sucker punch blow by scoring the fourth between 80-85 minutes. Scored by Mane.
Nasty foul by a City player on Mane and match will end with them a man down.
Match ends with us winning comfortably.

Well that's my expectation on how this game will turn out to be. Unfortunately my expectations rarely come true.
So I think this game will be:
- Before the game: WTF is that line up?!?!
- After 15 minutes: If we don't improve we are going to get slaughtered tonight
- By 30 minutes: Ok better now defensively but we need to create better chances to score
- At half time: How the fcuk didn't Salah score?!?! Should have been a goal up already
- During half time: I think I soiled my undies already. Better to change them, not because they seem to be soiled, I think they aren't the lucky ones today
- By 60 minutes: Sterling scores. Fcuk that snake. Fcuk City. Fcuk Pep. Fcuk them all.
- By 75 minutes: Ox and Divock are in. Creating some nice openings. Ox makes a nice run from the middle, skipping past the opposition, has a sight to shoot. OX SHOOTS! OX SCORES!!!!! Anfield going mad. There is a new belief among the Anfield faithful with 10 minutes to go.
- Around 85th minute: City win possession in their own half, a long cross field ball to Sterling who sets up Jesus nicely with a cut back. Jesus curls one to the far post, it's definitely going in, only for the outstretched arms of Allison to deny him. Jesus thought this was his time to redeem after that horrible penalty not so long ago. Unfortunately for him, Allison is in no mood to concede a decisive goal.
- 87 minutes: City's corner from Allison save is easily cleared by Van Dijk. The whole of Anfield breathes a sigh of relief. A draw now wouldn't be a bad result.
But Mane has just robbed the ball from City player! Can we launch one final attack? And more importantly make it count?
It's 3 vs 2 and Mane passes to Origi on his left. While it looks like Divock has done it by slotting the ball into the far post, City keeper saves by the tip of his fingers.
The Anfield faithful were about to blow the roof but are now have resigned to the fact that this is again going to be another draw which we could have won.
Meanwhile someone in some part of the world has accepted that there were no lucky undies. So simply let's out his frustration: "Fcuk that snake. Fcuk City. Fcuk Pep. Fcuk them all."
- 90th minute: Liverpool corner from that save of Origis shot. Everyone hoping City don't launch another counter and the is over already.
As expected, TAA's corner is well short and easily cleared by City at the edge of their box. TAA has been working tirelessly all evening and literally at 0% battery level.
While the sounds of disappointment from Anfield, for a few microseconds, seemed to be the story of evening, there seems to be one last hope.
The clearance from City player just went as far as Hendo, just outside their box. Easier option, control the ball and cross it to the back post where VvD is as visible as Burj Khalifa in Dubai skyline.
But Hendo goes for a first time volley, which looks like going wide. No way that is going in. But didn't Stevie score something similar against Middleborough albeit from a greater distance? Yes he did, and so did Hendo. A perfect volley. Always seemed to be going wide but for that swing. Always seemed to be going over but for that dip in the ball.
A perfect goal for the right occasion.

Anfield has gone mad. The noise can be heard across the Stanley Park. You don't need to switch on to your TV to know what is happening in the 3/4th of the city of Liverpool.
I am looking for my third pair of undies.
Someone has run out of his pipes/whiskey/beer/etc.
There is a rise in number of ambulances called on one night.

In all this night is not going to decide our title challenge, but it may in some way define it. I hope we boss the night in the way we want to and not let them dictate they would want to.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Expecting anything from Ole and Emery would be crazy. Leicester probably some hope, and Chelsea game might just depend on how good their attack is on that day to outscore them.
A big game is a big and City aren’t as good as they were in the last 2 years.

Pretty sure they will drop points in two of those fixtures + in one against the 'small' teams too.

Incognito

The Normal One

Expecting our front three to work tirelessly to press high up the pitch, with 2 midfielders supporting.
City to have those occasional chances to counter which will be nullified by the back 4 (while I would want Gomez, I think Dejan will start).
While City will miss guilt edge chances, we will take ours clinically to be 2 goals ahead, by 60 minutes mark, without a reply.
Klopp will bring on Millie, Ox and Divock after 60 minutes. One of the latter two will score to make it 3-0 to us.
The game suddenly opens up and Sterling will get a consolation goal before 75th minute.
Commentators will be singing about City's fighting spirit and suggest that they can get 2 more in 15 minutes.
We will instead deal them a sucker punch blow by scoring the fourth between 80-85 minutes. Scored by Mane.

Well that's my expectation on how this game will turn out to be. Unfortunately my expectations rarely come true.
- By 30 minutes: Ok better now defensively but we need to create better chances to score
- At half time: How the fcuk didn't Salah score?!?! Should have been a goal up already
- During half time: I think I soiled my undies already. Better to change them, not because they seem to be soiled, I think they aren't the lucky ones today
- By 60 minutes: Sterling scores. Fcuk that snake. Fcuk City. Fcuk Pep. Fcuk them all.
- By 75 minutes: Ox and Divock are in. Creating some nice openings. Ox makes a nice run from the middle, skipping past the opposition, has a sight to shoot. OX SHOOTS! OX SCORES!!!!! Anfield going mad. There is a new belief among the Anfield faithful with 10 minutes to go.
- Around 85th minute: City win possession in their own half, a long cross field ball to Sterling who sets up Jesus nicely with a cut back. Jesus curls one to the far post, it's definitely going in, only for the outstretched arms of Allison to deny him. Jesus thought this was his time to redeem after that horrible penalty not so long ago. Unfortunately for him, Allison is in no mood to concede a decisive goal.
- 87 minutes: City's corner from Allison save is easily cleared by Van Dijk. The whole of Anfield breathes a sigh of relief. A draw now wouldn't be a bad result.
But Mane has just robbed the ball from City player! Can we launch one final attack? And more importantly make it count?
It's 3 vs 2 and Mane passes to Origi on his left. While it looks like Divock has done it by slotting the ball into the far post, City keeper saves by the tip of his fingers.
The Anfield faithful were about to blow the roof but are now have resigned to the fact that this is again going to be another draw which we could have won.
Meanwhile someone in some part of the world has accepted that there were no lucky undies. So simply let's out his frustration: "Fcuk that snake. Fcuk City. Fcuk Pep. Fcuk them all."
- 90th minute: Liverpool corner from that save of Origis shot. Everyone hoping City don't launch another counter and the is over already.
As expected, TAA's corner is well short and easily cleared by City at the edge of their box. TAA has been working tirelessly all evening and literally at 0% battery level.
While the sounds of disappointment from Anfield, for a few microseconds, seemed to be the story of evening, there seems to be one last hope.
The clearance from City player just went as far as Hendo, just outside their box. Easier option, control the ball and cross it to the back post where VvD is as visible as Burj Khalifa in Dubai skyline.
But Hendo goes for a first time volley, which looks like going wide. No way that is going in. But didn't Stevie score something similar against Middleborough albeit from a greater distance? Yes he did, and so did Hendo. A perfect volley. Always seemed to be going wide but for that swing. Always seemed to be going over but for that dip in the ball.

Anfield has gone mad. The noise can be heard across the Stanley Park. You don't need to switch on to your TV to know what is happening in the 3/4th of the city of Liverpool.

In all this night is not going to decide our title challenge, but it may in some way define it. I hope we boss the night in the way we want to and not let them dictate they would want to.
Hall of fame contender this post! :ROFLMAO:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member

Need to make this into a movie. Wow.

Red over the water

I can't wait for this one. Personally I'd like to see Gomez play alongside VVD as I fear Lovren will get done for pace on the deck. City don't really play a game where they put a lot of crosses in, and if they are up against Lovren they will get it down and give him trouble with several of their players.

Apart from what to do at CB the only other question mark is what midfield we go with. Fabinho is a cert. Then it's harder to decide. Wijnaldum is well liked by Klopp. And the captain covers a lot of ground and fights hard for the team, and is also very disciplined. Ox has been making a very good case for himself to start, but I think he will come on from the bench.

Mo - bring your shooting boots please! I hope we go at them. A cagey sort of affair would sort of play into their hands a bit more.

I see a Liverpool win, a Mane goal, some snide tactical fouling by Man City, but the mighty reds are going to open up a nine point gap. If and when we do, we mustn't be complacent. Put the foot down and keep pressing on.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I can't wait for this one. Personally I'd like to see Gomez play alongside VVD as I fear Lovren will get done for pace on the deck. City don't really play a game where they put a lot of crosses in, and if they are up against Lovren they will get it down and give him trouble with several of their players.
Gomez was 'dropped' by Klopp from this exact fixture last season after having played the first 7 games of the season at FB, a season start in which we barely conceded. He played at FB (TAA wasnt injured).
My feelings are that he wanted someone more mature at RB (Gomez over TAA), and someone more mature at CB (Lovren over Gomez). Klopp wouldn't have messed around with a good thing if he didn't have reservations about Gomez at CB vs City. I don't think he was wrong as my recollection is that Lovren slotted straight in after missing so many games.

I wouldn't be against the more defensively minded Gomez being used out wide again.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Gomez was 'dropped' by Klopp from this exact fixture last season after having played the first 7 games of the season at FB, a season start in which we barely conceded. He played at FB (TAA wasnt injured).
My feelings are that he wanted someone more mature at RB (Gomez over TAA), and someone more mature at CB (Lovren over Gomez). Klopp wouldn't have messed around with a good thing if he didn't have reservations about Gomez at CB vs City. I don't think he was wrong as my recollection is that Lovren slotted straight in after missing so many games.

I wouldn't be against the more defensively minded Gomez being used out wide again.
Does switching things up like this help us win extremely tough games though, I wonder? Deviating from our best 11( that we would play against any side in the world) for the sake of playing Manchester City is kind of problematic I feel.

On the one hand we lose huge amounts of attacking prowess off the pitch by removing TAA. He and Robertson are by far the most creative of our players, most of our chances come through them rather than our midfield (whereas the majority of City's come through their midfield, where each player is pretty much capable of being a world class no. 10). Gomez offers almost nothing going forward compared to

On the other hand, we are kind of bowing down to City and acknowledging that even at our home (which is an absolute fortress and they haven't beaten us there in ages), we are willing to lose some of our on pitch identity. We have seen what happens when we compromise. We get non-results like draws against City at home last season, and the abysmal 0-0 vs United.

I would like us to stick with what has got us to this point. TAA on the right. Hopefully he can show his defensive prowess like he did in the 3-0 vs City at home in the CL in 2017-18, where he got a MOTM for keeping the on form Leroy Sane quiet.

macca1970

If we start Fab, Gini and Henderson, reckon Pep will try to occupy our marauding fullbacks, thus getting us to play through the middle, or us resorting to long balls bypassing the midfield.

If Klopp goes a bit more offensive and starts Ox, reckon Pep will gamble and let TA and Robertson go forward, and look to use the space created with pacey players like Stirling and Mahrez (with the thought that our midfield with one less ‘workmanlike’ player will be less disciplined).

The point I’m getting to is that Pep has nightmares about us, and always looks to introduce changes to his approach against us. Aguero always seems to do well against us, so we must be on the lookout for this.

If it’s a cagey game, then set pieces could come into play, and that’s where we excel. We need better concentration in the first 20 minutes, keeping it tight and break this mini trend of letting the opposition score first.

Man Shitty with their makeshift centreback paring can be tested good by our front three (assuming they play Fernandinho with Stones).
The Anfield crowd has a role to paly as well. In the first 20 mins, Man Shitty will look to use their tactical fouls, and the crowd needs to keep up the noise for the ref to take early action. Whistle and boo loud so the ref can’t ignore it.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Blah blah blah we believe in fairness blah blah the integrity of the game blah blah blah the values of Manchester City are decency and respect blah blah blah.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
In all honesty, they can't be blamed for that. Some drunken idiots literally supplied the ammunition for that and now the whole club and the fanbase is being tarnished because of it.

Retro Helix

Pep is trying everything possible to incite and stir-up emotions before the big game. Every other manager will allow themselves into a 'war of words' with the opposition but Klopp will not fall into that trap and this is what makes him truly unique. Let's hope we shut him (Pep) up for good on Sunday.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
In all honesty, they can't be blamed for that. Some drunken idiots literally supplied the ammunition for that and now the whole club and the fanbase is being tarnished because of it.
But can you imagine the Man City statement if it had been the other way round

We are aware of complaints made against a section of our fans who are alleged to have thrown a bottle at the Liverpool team bus.

We would like to make it clear that the bottle was not thrown - it merely slipped from the fans grasp accidentally, upon passionately lifting his arms in his euphoria and support for the great Manchester City. Also it was not a bottle, rather it was a child’s dream. A child’s dream of being cradled and nourished in the warm, fervent embrace of the Manchester City Family. And there was no bus. Just the glory of this wonderful Manchester City team, which has been built entirely legitimately and within the rules.

Flobs

FADA
Pep is trying everything possible to incite and stir-up emotions before the big game. Every other manager will allow themselves into a 'war of words' with the opposition but Klopp will not fall into that trap and this is what makes him truly unique. Let's hope we shut him (Pep) up for good on Sunday.
3 clear cut penalties 'won' by Mané a brace from Salah and a VVD thunder strike should do it. :)

Flobs

FADA

Status
Not open for further replies.