• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool v Man City EPL 10/11 1630 ko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limiescouse

Gomez was 'dropped' by Klopp from this exact fixture last season after having played the first 7 games of the season at FB, a season start in which we barely conceded. He played at FB (TAA wasnt injured).
My feelings are that he wanted someone more mature at RB (Gomez over TAA), and someone more mature at CB (Lovren over Gomez). Klopp wouldn't have messed around with a good thing if he didn't have reservations about Gomez at CB vs City. I don't think he was wrong as my recollection is that Lovren slotted straight in after missing so many games.

I wouldn't be against the more defensively minded Gomez being used out wide again.
Until Gomez got injured Klopp switched him back and forth btn CB and RB numerous times. At times it felt like he did it to protect against teams who might otherwise want to target us with high balls into the back post. At other times though it felt more like he was conscious of not overusing TAA, which might seem nonsensical given their comparable ages and respective injury background, but it does sort of make sense as Gomez is clearly the more physically mature of the two.

Limiescouse

Pep is trying everything possible to incite and stir-up emotions before the big game. Every other manager will allow themselves into a 'war of words' with the opposition but Klopp will not fall into that trap and this is what makes him truly unique. Let's hope we shut him (Pep) up for good on Sunday.
I agree. Klopp doesnt need conflict, real or fabricated, to motivate his group and get them on their game. His team already plays like they are up against someone they have to prove a point against, and so youd think that regulating it and not letting that boil over is probably more important than engaging in silly argument to get him and boys fired up.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Gomez was 'dropped' by Klopp from this exact fixture last season after having played the first 7 games of the season at FB, a season start in which we barely conceded. He played at FB (TAA wasnt injured).
My feelings are that he wanted someone more mature at RB (Gomez over TAA), and someone more mature at CB (Lovren over Gomez). Klopp wouldn't have messed around with a good thing if he didn't have reservations about Gomez at CB vs City. I don't think he was wrong as my recollection is that Lovren slotted straight in after missing so many games.

I wouldn't be against the more defensively minded Gomez being used out wide again.
I think we went with Gomez over Trent in that game purely for defensive reasons at RB,Cities defense for that game was at full strength and a lot more stable, capable of stopping Trents attacks and crosses,catching him up field and counter attacking us with Stirling and Sane.

This time around though,i'd find it hard to see us dropping Trent for Gomez,their defense is all over the shop,probably at 60% strength,so we need Trents runs down the wing and killer crosses to take advantage of their CB/LB weakness atm.Also they won't have the bonus of bringing on the pacey Sane later in the game.

I think the back 4 will be Trent-Lovren-VVD-Robertson.

Red over the water

When Klopp switched Gomez in at right back for Trent it was because Joe was perceived as the better defender. Since that time, Trent has come on leaps and bounds in his defending, but what has also become more and more apparent is the attacking threat he brings. I would be very surprised if TAA doesn't play at right back against Man City. Mind you, it still doesn't mean there won't be gaps behind him for them to exploit. That's not a TAA thing, it's more of a system thing, and we choose to unleash his attacking gifts - for the good of the team - knowing that there could be a defensive chink in the armor against the best teams. It's a reasonable choice and we are doing quite well off it!

I would be having a good look at Gomez for the middle though. Unfortunately he hasn't been at his best, so he will probably miss out, but I am nervous about Lovren, especially against a team with pace and a lot of craft. If they throw in a load of crosses, Lovren is well suited to defend that sort of thing, but Man City will play with a lot of pace and movement on the deck, and I'm concerned about Lovren on that score. I don't want to stick the boot in on Dejan though, as he has been doing well enough since called upon of late. Just voicing my concerns!

To Ox, or not to Ox, that is the question. I'm seeing Fab for sure, then probably Henderson and Wijnaldum, but credit to the Ox, he is knocking on the door and one of Hendo or Gini could be vulnerable.

The coach thing is frustrating. It's there, in play, and they will continue to bring it up. Unfortunately some divvy drunken fans gave that to them. Nevermind their massive systemic abuses. Someone threw a can of lager at the coach and they are going to bleat on about that for ever and a day.

Hopefully we don't add to that. Welcome them, line the streets, do the pyro, but don't throw stuff at the coach or that will be maximized against us. When the whistle blows shout the roof off the stadium and get into them.

I'm liking 3-1 to the red men too.

Incognito

The Normal One
Jürgen Klopp: "Everybody has to be in top shape for this game - even the guys selling the hotdogs. Get there early, wait for the warm-up, be ready."

Jürgen Klopp on Raheem Sterling: "He has always been a big threat. He is improving and improving and improving. Good for Man City and England. I can't think anything bad about him. A fantastic football player. Outstanding."

Jürgen Klopp: "If you are not brave against Man City, you have no chance - not even for a point. Your positioning must be nearly perfect, your protection absolutely perfect. An interesting football game."

Klopp on the coach welcome: "If someone from Man City is concerned still, it's our fault. We all didn't throw a bottle, but it was one of us. All of us have to make sure that something like that never happens again. We will do everything to make sure it doesn't happen again."

That's classy!! And even regarding Sterling he's just not getting into the dirty mind tricks. And I sense he's very genuine, he doesn't hold grudges or have hatred towards anyone. Surely a lesson for life. Each day Klopp shows how he can be more classy than before.

Edit: Another one:

Klopp on Sean Cox visiting Anfield on Sunday: "When it happened it was my lowest point at Liverpool. Something like this should not happen around a football game. I hope to see him before the game, I really want to. We don't just sing You'll Never Walk Alone, we live that."

Last edited:

LeoT

I'm hoping Sterling gets silly yellow for a nothing challenge, and then gets a 2nd Yellow for diving early in the game.
Then Liverpool go on to win 5:0 increasing points and goal difference.

Though any kind of win would be great TBH.
...and a draw wouldn't be the end of the world.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I think we went with Gomez over Trent in that game purely for defensive reasons at RB,Cities defense for that game was at full strength and a lot more stable, capable of stopping Trents attacks and crosses,catching him up field and counter attacking us with Stirling and Sane.

This time around though,i'd find it hard to see us dropping Trent for Gomez,their defense is all over the shop,probably at 60% strength,so we need Trents runs down the wing and killer crosses to take advantage of their CB/LB weakness atm.Also they won't have the bonus of bringing on the pacey Sane later in the game.

I think the back 4 will be Trent-Lovren-VVD-Robertson.
Trent is also 50% more than this time last year. Last year he had only been an adult for 2 years, this time round he's been an adult for 3 years.
Trent HAS to start.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Our defense has been leaking goals since the start of the season, while City's attack has been firing on all cylinders.
If TAA and Robbo play more defensive minded ( especially TAA whi will have Sterling in the form of his lufe to deal with ), our attack will suffer, and they haven't reached peakform yet.

I am not at all over confident

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
a mouth watering encounter almost here. we must be switched on from kick off, especially against this fucking lot!

my pipe selection has been made, and once again its my monster pipe, 'Crouchy'. less filling required with this beast!

a clean sheet would be brilliant!
our chances to be converted!
a great Anfield atmosphere is a must - including the hot dog men!!! (I thought the atmosphere in mid week was flat, I did hear the Belgians though! my mother was Belgian, born in Antwerp.

team selection I shall leave to Jurgen!

come on you mighty Redmen!

Notasuperfan

I hope the starting formation will be the following!

GK: AB1
LB: Robbo
LCB: Virgil
RCB: Lovren
RB: TAA
DM: Fabinho
CM: Hendo
CM: AOC
RW: Salah
CF: Firmino
LW: Mane

Subs: Adrian, Milner, Origi, Elliot, Gomez, Keita, Curtis Jones

Let's go on the offensive and press them hard!

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team

If we can switch Hendo with Gini, it will be our best setup according to me.

Flobs

FADA

No Gini? I like it. Though I prefer Gini on the bench to Keita. Gini can be a beast coming off the bench! :)

[email protected]

Well sometimes it is helthier not to read to much beforehand a match like we do have with City . They are a great side and Play some nice Football BUT for fuck sake they don t Play US every week. Media loves to make the soucers are the Hooligans of the 21 th century well my opinon fuck off to all those journalists who read some shit in Internet and make it publically to destroy our Image as a club. Yes fuck off even to those who publically before even investigating something puting it as it is a fact and undeniabel.
They can t be us . They pay to fill the Stadium and yet we are the bad ones!
We are the fucking best this lot ll Dream of to be and ll stay a Dream. Having the LFC fans filling the Stadiums and the pasion our Fans for the Team have, seems to make pep and co shit themselfes. I hope we fucking kick them off the park and send them to fuck themselfes with shit new stories About our fans, our Team who only cheat and so on.
So yes i respect all the City old fans who have dignity in them but i say loud to fuck off everyone else who put our Image as the bad ones to Show.
Up the Reds! Give them a propper Football fucking to the City!
Sorry for my vulgar language but i couldn t put it otherways out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.